g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Wolverhampton Wanderers 18/19...

Snash93

Supports
Liverpool
Impressive start and play very good football...love the kits as well

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because he's got the brain of a potato. Physically he is a ridiculous, to be fair. But his decision making is poor. He'll beat his man for pace and not know what to do.

He doesn't start for Wolves, he only managed to get starts in the 2nd half of last season in the Championship for Boro and was reportedly very patchy.

He's still young, but it's going to take a serious amount of coaching to get him doing what a manager wants. Elite physique, but miles away from being top 6 quality overall.
Traore will probably have the best dribbling stats in the league this season, but will probably have no more than 4 goals to show for it, which tells his story pretty much. He’s totally brainless, but can beat multiple players with ease, very consistently.

As a La Masia graduate, I expected him to be more intelligent though. If he had that too, he’d be worth £100m.
But would you rather have him on rw or Lingard and Mata? I slay and trash Lingard often( maybe too often). But it is because i will always in attack choose players with skill and pace instead hard working and inteligent players. Tactical stuff player can learn but skill or pace.. well he can't. It is something that you have or you don't. That is why i like Traore. He can destroy any team if he has good day.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Will be following my hometown club very closely this season. Molineux is a crazy place to watch football. Fans are always up for it. They're going to do well this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But would you rather have him on rw or Lingard and Mata? I slay and trash Lingard often( maybe too often). But it is because i will always in attack choose players with skill and pace instead hard working and inteligent players. Tactical stuff player can learn but skill or pace.. well he can't. It is something that you have or you don't. That is why i like Traore. He can destroy any team if he has good day.
You are right, but this isn’t international football, and a club, especially one with huge resource doesn’t need to make that choice.

The real answer is that neither of them probably present the most ideal option, all for various reasons. Because Mata or Lingard are too slow and lack magic doesn’t mean Traore with no brain is suited either.

If it were a choice though, I would also choose Traore over Mata/Lingard - but only in the hope that he will eventually become a more useful player (due to his age) rather than him being good enough now.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They are the best promoted side ever.
No. Newcastle who was promoted in 93 was better. Even if the standard of the League was lower at the time.

Trizy

I've enjoyed most their games so far, shame I can't say the same for United. Also my new favorite accumulator team. Won me 60 quid at the weekend.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
I love reading other team's fans talk positively about my team.

I've never known a better time to be a Wolves fan. Every single part of the club seems to be working in unison to achieve our goal.

I'm not saying we are going to win the league or push the top 4, but I think a big part of achieving anything is down to belief. Even after what Leicester achieved a few seasons ago, there's still probably 10 clubs every year in the Premier League who start the season thinking that staying up is their goal. Another 3 that hope they can sneak into Europe. It annoys me!!! I'd rather get relegated than become a club that ticks off another year in the PL as 'success'. It can't be fun being a Palace, Newcastle or West Ham fan? Our manager and our current crop of players seem to have the belief that they can achieve anything. From what I've seen so far, I have to say I am starting to believe they can too.

There's been a small shift in the tide in the last few years with the TV money meaning clubs don't really need to sell players like they used to. The only reason now to sell a player is if the player asks to leave and refuses to play. Even then it's possible to keep them for a bit longer and sell on the clubs terms (Mahrez for example). I think what is being built here is not only exciting for us fans, but also exciting for the players involved and that's why I can see a lot of them staying to see just how far we can go!

We are a couple of top quality players away from really pushing for a top 6 finish. Our owners have said they will make a 'marquee signing' at some point and have backed up everything they have said so far with actions (and cash), so I have no reason to believe that will stop. There was even talk about Rashford, which would be nice!!

Just to address some of the other points raised.....

I do think they'd be better in a 4-3-3 if they could find another quality midfielder.
This is just not an option. All of our players have excelled in our formation and we have only ever played 3-4-3 (or 3-4-2-1/5-2-3, whatever you want to call it!) under Nuno. That won't change, especially to a back 4. We just don't have the players and especially the defenders to play a back 4. The only reason Coady has been linked with an England call-up is he has excelled in a back 3. Put him as one of 2 in a 4 man defence and it would be a car-crash!

No. Newcastle who was promoted in 93 was better. Even if the standard of the League was lower at the time.
Could argue that if you took Cole and Beardsley out of that side, they'd have been very average!

Matt Doherty is a legend.
Yes he is. He's starting to remind me of Seamus Coleman. Just gets on with it and gets better and better with every game. I've been very pleased with both our wing-backs so far, just a shame we are very unlikely to sign Jonny permanently.

Interesting fact about Doherty. He was the only member of our squad this season to have played in the PL for Wolves previously (he played for McCarthy's side years ago).

Reactions: Fortitude

Robbie Boy

@WolfInSharp'sClothing Aye I think Doherty has been improving so much over the past 3 seasons and he's taken to the PL like a duck to water. I hope he can force his way into the international fold especially with Coleman's injury problems.

On another note, why did Cavliero only re-emerge the weekend? I enjoyed watching him in the Championship last season albeit he could be quite erratic at times. Has he been injured?

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
@WolfInSharp'sClothing Aye I think Doherty has been improving so much over the past 3 seasons and he's taken to the PL like a duck to water. I hope he can force his way into the international fold especially with Coleman's injury problems.
I'd like to think so. With Coleman not being fit and Christie not playing that regularly for Fulham (because of Fosu-Mensah), he has got to be close to being first choice right-back?!

On another note, why did Cavliero only re-emerge the weekend? I enjoyed watching him in the Championship last season albeit he could be quite erratic at times. Has he been injured?
Yes, been out since picking up a knock in pre-season. Great to have him back. Like Traore, he's one of those players that can change a game, as they both did on Saturday.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Nah. Wigan won 8 of their first 11 games in their first season in the league and were sitting 2nd in table by November.
And then only won 7 more after that point, finishing 10th, then were in a relegation battle most years for the rest of their stay in the PL.

Best ever promoted side? Wigan?! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Robbie Boy

I'd like to think so. With Coleman not being fit and Christie not playing that regularly for Fulham (because of Fosu-Mensah), he has got to be close to being first choice right-back?!

Yes, been out since picking up a knock in pre-season. Great to have him back. Like Traore, he's one of those players that can change a game, as they both did on Saturday.
Aye, you would like to think so but with the current shambolic management setup that Ireland have, who knows! For whatever reason, O'Neill doesn't seem to rate him which is just ridiculous.

Yeah he's definitely one of those players that can pull something out of nothing and win a game. On form, he's exciting to watch. Traore is a strange one, he's a physical specimen and has blistering pace, but he's wildly erratic. He definitely has improved somewhat in recent years, but he can so frustrating to watch.

ZAGREB RED

Even if they don't stay up, their football is great to watch, and I think they will get a lot of plaudits for their open, attacking style.
I think it's fair to say that a lot of United fans will probably enjoy watching them from a neutral point of view in their games, for obvious reasons.

Robbie Boy

Even if they don't stay up, their football is great to watch, and I think they will get a lot of plaudits for their open, attacking style.
I would be stunned if they didn't stay up. There are some pathetic PL teams around this year and the current bottom 3 have amassed 6 points between them so far this season.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
And then only won 7 more after that point, finishing 10th, then were in a relegation battle most years for the rest of their stay in the PL.

Best ever promoted side? Wigan?! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
10th is a solid finish for a newly promoted side. Besides, you can really only judge "the best ever promoted side" based on their first season anyway so their constant battle with relegation is irrelevant. Also, they didn't have the luxury of purchasing the entire Portuguese national team.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Aye, you would like to think so but with the current shambolic management setup that Ireland have, who knows! For whatever reason, O'Neill doesn't seem to rate him which is just ridiculous.
Yeah, a strange one that. O'Neil said recently that Doherty cuts inside too much and he would like to see him get to the byline more. I think Doherty has proved in the last few games he is capable of that!

Traore is a strange one, he's a physical specimen and has blistering pace, but he's wildly erratic. He definitely has improved somewhat in recent years, but he can so frustrating to watch.
It's frightening how good he could be, but like you say he is sometimes massively frustrating.

We could have won against you lot if his decision making was better! Which is why he is still not starting games yet.

The way Nuno and his team have improved some of our players since they arrived makes me think he's in good hands though.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Was it Ipswich that finished 6th in the early 00s after promotion?

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
10th is a solid finish for a newly promoted side. Besides, you can really only judge "the best ever promoted side" based on their first season anyway so their constant battle with relegation is irrelevant.
Which is exactly why Wigan is a strange choice! Newcastle, Blackburn, Ipswich and Forest have all had top 5 finishes. Sunderland and Reading top 8.

Also, they didn't have the luxury of purchasing the entire Portuguese national team.
We have 2 current Portuguese Internationals and one of them only broke back in to the side because of his form for us (Neves). Moutinho hasn't been called up to the last few squads.

It will be a few more seasons until we have the rest of them! :smirk:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Which is exactly why Wigan is a strange choice! Newcastle, Blackburn, Ipswich and Forest have all had top 5 finishes. Sunderland and Reading top 8.

We have 2 current Portuguese Internationals and one of them only broke back in to the side because of his form for us (Neves). Moutinho hasn't been called up to the last few squads.

To be honest, I'd have been far too young to remember some of those. Maybe not the Reading one, but Wigan was the first name that popped into my head as I remembered how impressive they were. They also made the Carling Cup final that year. I'd still be tempted to give it to them given the fact that they pulled off 2 promotions in 3 years and started the PL on fire.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Could argue that if you took Cole and Beardsley out of that side, they'd have been very average!
The problem is Beardsley and Cole were way above average at the time, not to mention the season after they were promoted they imediately finished third, only behind Blackburn and Manchester United who won the League. So its impossible to say this Wolves team is better even if imo the standard of the League was much lower at the time.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

You have more Portuguese in our team than the 3 big clubs in Portugal :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They remind me of the Fulham team that came up in 2001. Boa Morte, Malbranque, Saha, Steve Marlet, VDS etc. They had lots of entertaining games first season up although this Wolves team will finish higher than they did.

It's hardly a shock though. Wolves were basically a mid table premier league side playing in the championship last season. Most impressive thing for me is they've approached every match in the same way, they've been as positive against the Manchester clubs as they were v Burnley for example.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They remind me of the Fulham team that came up in 2001. Boa Morte, Malbranque, Saha, Steve Marlet, VDS etc. They had lots of entertaining games first season up although this Wolves team will finish higher than they did.
Jesus what you made me remember now, the mytical Fulham from Tigana with Saha, Boa Morte, Marlet and Malbranque. I think they also signed later Van der Sar from Juve. Always rember that team from the older versions of Championship Manager, and it might be said those were the best years from Boa Morte in England too. :lol:
It's hardly a shock though.
I am with you on this, for anyone who followed their spell last season hardly suprising, this season I don't have the chance to follow all their games, too much football to follow, this season I am more interested on Shaktar and Juventus. :)
Wolves were basically a mid table premier league side playing in the championship last season.
Basically that, thought they would bring Douglas with them but credit to Jonny former Celta player he is starting to adjust well. More impressive is the fact they are playing with the same back 3 from the Championship, and none of the 3 individually can be said they are multi million players. Only shows Nuno is the best portuguese manager in England atm. Not surprising for me, even if he isn't my favourite to follow.
Most impressive thing for me is they've approached every match in the same way, they've been as positive against the Manchester clubs as they were v Burnley for example.
Yes, they are playing exactly the same way they played last season and Nuno repeated 7 times the same 11. Wolves fans will get annoyed when Traoré or Dendoncker will start, but he basically will only put them there when injuries or suspensions come. I remember a lot of posters here when they watched them vs Everton saying if they played like this against Liverpool, City or United they would be crushed.

So far they weren't, even being possible they will lose a lot of games, I certainly like more their approach than teams like Newcastle, Brighton or Huddersfield. Good team to watch, but they will need more transfer windows to reach the same level as clubs like Leicester or Everton, let alone reading some of their fans talking about top 6, which imo is total delusion, even if they don't agree with me. :D

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
You have more Portuguese in our team than the 3 big clubs in Portugal :lol:
And aren't they doing well?!

We somehow manage to have more Home Grown players than Man Utd too, with a smaller squad.

To be honest, when they perform as well as they have been, I couldn't give a monkey's where they're from.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
some of their fans talking about top 6, which imo is total delusion, even if they don't agree with me. :D
The belief that you can do something has to come first! It may be seen as delusional to some, but without that belief, it'll never happen.

I'm not saying we will do it this season, but if things continue to improve at the rate they have done so far, it won't be long.

If I'd have told you 10 years ago that Man City would win 3 league titles, 3 league cups and an FA Cup in the next 10 years, you would have called me delusional too :D

Classical Mechanic

The best promoted sides of the PL era were

1. Ipswich 3rd 00-01 (14 points from 1st)
2. Newcastle 3rd 93-94 (15 points from 1st)
3. Blackburn 4th 92-93

But none of that comes close to comparing with what Brian Clough achieved with Forest, promoted from the second division in 76-77 and then won the first division the following year. He then won back to back European Cups in the next two season.

playtowin

They are a very interesting project to watch develop, they certainly are a club with the potential to achieve more.

No chance they'll be in any danger of going down. Cardiff and Huddersfield are certainties for the drop in my mind, and Wolves won't be anywhere near the last relegation place.

Their plans for redeveloping the ground and their next couple of transfer windows will be fascinating to watch from the outside.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
As I said in the matchday thread think their defence is starting to get found out a bit at this level. Lacked a clincial striker all season. Will still stay up comfortably.

Mick321

The answer to all our midfield problems getting schooled v Huddersfield and Cardiff.

Chipper

Adulterer.
1 point in 6 matches.

Brighton had 1 more point after 14 last season, Newcastle and Huddersfield 1 fewer. They're not really the best ever promoted team, are they?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
They really didn't look too good against Cardiff today. They are a tad overrated !!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Crisis over.

Wolves will probably go mad and win their next 8 now.:lol:

Pagh Wraith

According to xG they are much better than their results. Their odds to beat Chelsea tonight were certainly mad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
According to xG they are much better than their results. Their odds to beat Chelsea tonight were certainly mad.
Their performance was hopeless v Huddersfield but they've been fine in all the other games. Should've beaten Arsenal at Emirates, should've got a draw v Spurs and just couldn't defend the set pieces v Cardiff.

Got Liverpool at home in a few weeks, that will be a very entertaining game I think.