Wolverhampton Wanderers 18/19...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure if the FFP mob will take any interest in them but they have been doing some serious business this summer.

How do people think they will get on next term? They could achieve anything from relegation to European football in my opinion, although that probably goes for most clubs outside the top 6 these days.

Anyway, proper big club so good to see them back in the big time. Could they challenge the top 4 in the near future?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Not sure if the FFP mob will take any interest in them but they have been doing some serious business this summer.

How do people think they will get on next term? They could achieve anything from relegation to European football in my opinion, although that probably goes for most clubs outside the top 6 these days.

Anyway, proper big club so good to see them back in the big time. Could they challenge the top 4 in the near future?
I highly doubt they will ever get near the top 6 let alone the top 4. They could solidify themselves as a mid table club for a few years instead of relegation club with the money that they have now but these things tend to go sideways in the long run especially with Mendes their. I figure will be a stepping stone for a lot of Portuguese players who want to join the EPL before they go on to bigger and better things.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I highly doubt they will ever get near the top 6 let alone the top 4. They could solidify themselves as a mid table club for a few years instead of relegation club with the money that they have now but these things tend to go sideways in the long run especially with Mendes their. I figure will be a stepping stone for a lot of Portuguese players who want to join the EPL before they go on to bigger and better things.
I say top 4 because of the size of the club. Wolves are a historically huge club, and I think with the right investment and progress over the next two years, they could possibly get themselves to a good self-sustainable level. They have a good stadium and passionate fan base.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I say top 4 because of the size of the club. Wolves are a historically huge club, and I think with the right investment and progress over the next two years, they could possibly get themselves to a good self-sustainable level. They have a good stadium and passionate fan base.
Their are many clubs in England alone who are historically bigger clubs then wolves let alone outside of England. Most fans in England have passionate fans tbf its one of the upsides of playing in England from the EPL all the way down to the championship. Like I said top 4 won't happen ( Unless another Leicester happens).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Dont take them lightly at all, backed by probably the most powerful agent in the world. Footballers are easily led by nose, definitely a lot of brown envelopes changing hands and yes ultimately their better players will leave but if the club can continue to be the gateway they will do very well. Too 10 is a realistic target for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Will be nowhere near relegation battle. Likes of Diego Jota and Neves are top 6 quality players. Can see them finishing 8th or 9th.

luke511

They have more Portuguese players in their first team squad than Porto, Benfica or Sporting Lisbon now apparently.. Unbelievable transformation from them, fair play to the people running the club.

Jacko21

Newcastle once thought the recipe to success was to sign French players. After initial success, having eleven Frenchman in the dressing room began to bring its own problems.

Whilst the situations are different, it'd be something to think about for Wolves.

luke511

Newcastle once thought the recipe to success was to sign French players. After initial success, having eleven Frenchman in the dressing room began to bring its own problems.

Whilst the situations are different, it'd be something to think about for Wolves.
This is true, but if you think about the likes of the invincibles it is possible to have a good organic team spirit created by a nation other than English at a PL club.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

For as much as things did go pear-shaped at Newcastle, if you're talking about the Pardew era they managed to finish 5th in 2012, almost getting a top four spot, impressive when they'd been in the Championship two years before. Started very well in 13-14 too before imploding.

Can see Wolves doing alright, but nothing better than mid-table probably. Top six push only if one of the current big six has a mare of a season.

Jacko21

This is true, but if you think about the likes of the invincibles it is possible to have a good organic team spirit created by a nation other than English at a PL club.
For as much as things did go pear-shaped at Newcastle, if you're talking about the Pardew era they managed to finish 5th in 2012, almost getting a top four spot, impressive when they'd been in the Championship two years before. Started very well in 13-14 too before imploding.
Like I said, Newcastle had initial success with it, but I dare say its not conducive to longer-term stability. But I'm sure Wolves know that and are using Mendes as a springboard in which to establish a firm-footing, which they can then build upon.

For Newcastle, many felt it became an unhealthy situation. Players were unsettled, cliques formed and there was a growing disconnect with the fanbase. Newcastle became a stepping stone for players and that eventually caught up with them.

luke511

Like I said, Newcastle had initial success with it, but I dare say its not conducive to longer-term stability. But I'm sure Wolves know that and are using Mendes as a springboard in which to establish a firm-footing, which they can then build upon.

For Newcastle, many felt it became an unhealthy situation. Players were unsettled, cliques formed and there was a growing disconnect with the fanbase. Newcastle became a stepping stone for players and that eventually caught up with them.
Again true, I think having a Portuguese manager that speaks both Portuguese and English is the difference though.. Will be able to connect the cultures together better compared to Pardew, can't imagine him speaking French :lol:

Trizy

Looks well planned and well run club. Delighted they're back and hope they do well (once they roll over for us).

I'd can't wait to see Ruben Neves in the PL.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can't stand clubs like Wolves, hope they get relegated but sadly they won't after signing players well above their level. I hope people remember in a few years time how they were wishing Wolves well, feck them. They're a good team and they have it in them to finish top 10, in a few more years with their connections to Mendes I'd be surprised if they weren't knocking on the door for top 4. I don't think they're currently anywhere near top 6 quality, and on paper there's still a gap between them and teams like West Ham/Leicester et al.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Their signings are impressive relatively speaking for a team that has just got promoted, but they still don't have anywhere near the same quality of player the top 6/8 have. Could see them finishing about 10th-14th.

Hoof the ball

Would rather have a team like Wolves promoted to the Premiership that has some quality players and a playing mentality that wants to play good attractive football. The alternative is one of the yearly long ball merchants being promoted from the Championship and stinking up the Prem for the season before dropping back down to mediocrity.

Varun

Staff
Very good to watch. They'll have a good season if they can convert the performances into results.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Will be nowhere near relegation battle. Likes of Diego Jota and Neves are top 6 quality players. Can see them finishing 8th or 9th.
Seen nothing to suggest otherwise so far. Moutinho with his experience been a top signing aswell.

I was wondering a little if likes of Wily Boly and Connor Coady would be exposed defensively in premier league but both been excellent, guess it shows if all players know the system it can be very effective.

If they sign a top striker in January european qualification could be a realistic prospect if it goes down to 7th like last season.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Predicted 8th in another thread, & glad to see them doing well. Their start has been tough, but I expect them to pick up a lot of points versus lower table teams.

jem

They look like a very good team. So refreshing to see a team play like that. He's getting on a bit now, but Moutinho would have been a great buy a few years back - always looks a class act. I knew Neves was good, but Jota looked fantastic as well.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They won’t get as many points as they should against the easier teams. They aren’t cynical enough, it takes them a lot of chances to score.

If they upgrade their wingbacks and add a bit more quality (and goals) to their front three I believe they can be the 7th best team in England and maybe even something more. They aren’t there yet though.

Also, Neves might be the big name to follow but as of now the star of this team is João Moutinho. He deserves the recognition now that he’s finally playing in one of the top leagues. He went through some bad periods in the past few years but it’s still unbelievable to me how he never got the chance at one of the top clubs in the word.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Traore:drool::drool:. This 20 minutes was enough for me to fell in love. Guy is absolute beast. And plays on right wing. Why we didn't risk with him? 20 mil is bargain.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Traore:drool::drool:. This 20 minutes was enough for me to fell in love. Guy is absolute beast. And plays on right wing. Why we didn't risk with him? 20 mil is bargain.
Because he's got the brain of a potato. Physically he is a ridiculous, to be fair. But his decision making is poor. He'll beat his man for pace and not know what to do.

He doesn't start for Wolves, he only managed to get starts in the 2nd half of last season in the Championship for Boro and was reportedly very patchy.

He's still young, but it's going to take a serious amount of coaching to get him doing what a manager wants. Elite physique, but miles away from being top 6 quality overall.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I thought he was underwhelming when he came on and that Costa was the much better player.
Traore is poor man's Valencia. He will never reach the same heights as Antonio.

Wolves are very good, very well coached and organized.
Had we not lost two games already this season, our result against them would hurt a lot less.
Neves and Mourinho in midfield were fantastic and gave our midfielders a good battle (I thought our cms played well too).
Costa is an interesting player that I hope we keep an eye on, God knows we could do with a pacey, technical rw.

Trizy

Very good team, they will easily finish mid table. Not often you see a team come from the Championship and playing with little fear. It's refreshing to say the least.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They won’t get as many points as they should against the easier teams. They aren’t cynical enough, it takes them a lot of chances to score.

If they upgrade their wingbacks and add a bit more quality (and goals) to their front three I believe they can be the 7th best team in England and maybe even something more. They aren’t there yet though.

Also, Neves might be the big name to follow but as of now the star of this team is João Moutinho. He deserves the recognition now that he’s finally playing in one of the top leagues. He went through some bad periods in the past few years but it’s still unbelievable to me how he never got the chance at one of the top clubs in the word.
Same problems as last year. Even in the games they lost, they needed to create almost 10 chances to score a goal.

RooneyLegend

I do think they'd be better in a 4-3-3 if they could find another quality midfielder.

True, Jimenez should probably be the top scorer in the league. They could have had 8 against Burnley but ended up scraping a 1-0.
That match against Burnley would drive any of their loyal supporters to drink - the amount of chances they missed were actually a disgrace.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Their target this year should be to embed themselves in the top 10 and I think they have enough to do that.

On the bolded I've always wanted Moutinho at United. I think he's good enough to be a bench option for any top side in the league, and actually start for some.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
True, Jimenez should probably be the top scorer in the league. They could have had 8 against Burnley but ended up scraping a 1-0.
Jimenez had one chance he failed to convert early on in that match, but in fairness to him the pass to him was an awkward one that would've made it hard for anyone to control.

And, of course, he scored the only other chance he got, a beautifully taken goal.

You singling him out for some reason and asserting he should be top scorer in the league is baffling.

Varun

Staff
Jimenez had one chance he failed to convert early on in that match, but in fairness to him the pass to him was an awkward one that would've made it hard for anyone to control.

And, of course, he scored the only other chance he got, a beautifully taken goal.

You singling him out for some reason and asserting he should be top scorer in the league is baffling.
The guy who came on for him should have had a hattrick. Absolute sitters and he messed up each of them. Then there was he tap in that fell to Doherty. I don't think he's blaming Jimenez, more the entire unit needing a lot of chances to score which is quite true.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Unbelievable is a bit strong. He was never one of the best midfielders in the world or anything.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Traore will probably have the best dribbling stats in the league this season, but will probably have no more than 4 goals to show for it, which tells his story pretty much. He’s totally brainless, but can beat multiple players with ease, very consistently.

As a La Masia graduate, I expected him to be more intelligent though. If he had that too, he’d be worth £100m.