Women's Euro 2017 Finals

Grande

Didn't see a thread, so I'm trying one
out: European Championship in football for women to commence in Holland on 16th of July. I'll be following my own country Norway, and England, as always. Luckily both are in it!

http://www.uefa.com/womenseuro/index.html#/pg

Four groups:

Group A
Holland (hosts)
Belgium
Norway
Denmark

Group B
Germany
Italy
Russia
Sweden

Group C
France
Switzerland
Austria
Iceland

Group D
England
Scotland
Spain
Portugal

I'll try to post a bit about some of the teams and players later, would be cool if people from different countries on here who knows anything could post a bit about their own country!

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Ahhh you beat me to it. I am really looking forward to this.

For those of us in the UK, Channel 4 have the rights to all England and Scotland games and Eurosport are showing every game live I believe.

England are in with a real chance of winning this, France and Germany both have sides full of quality too.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
In the past 6 years 4 or 5 members of Iceland did their cruciate ligaments. Our top scorer did hers the day before the last friendly.

A player got recalled in the final announcement after having played 80 minutes since coming back from maternity leave.

I'm predicting we'll get 1-3 points. Both Austria and Switzerland are winnable but the men's team had a better shot against France.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Aren't Sweden one of the best female teams or am I confusing that with another sport?

I'll pass on this one, I've tried to watch women's football a few times open mindedly but it's akin to watching Sunday league teams it's so awful at times (much like the men's team to be honest). Good luck to England though, with all the Youth teams doing brilliantly this summer, if the women can pull off a good run it might kick the men's senior team up the Harris to show some bottle.

Grande

Norway's group is very interesting for several reasons.

Holland are the hosts, and playing their rivals Belgium who will also have a bigger following than usual. Both countries have kicked on steadily the last decade, and have dangerous players up top like Miedema (Arsenal) and Wullaert (Wolfsburg).

Norway v Denmark is yet another rivalry. We've beaten them more times than not in the women's department, a. Ice change to the men's situation! They have, I believe, still a quite technical and possesion-based style of football, with Pernille Harder up top.

I'm a bit excited this year about Norways chances to impress. We have a new trainer in Sjögren which seems to know the football he wants, and the worlds best attacker, Ada Hegerberg, who at 22 have scored a goal a game for a few years now in Germany and for Lyon. Quick, strong, smart and fairly technically accomplished. Her sister Andrine is also one to follow, a more ardent midfield worker who got to the FA Cup Final with Birmingham this year. 17 year old Frida Maanum hopefully will also get a shot in midfield.

But for me, the gem is Caroline Graham Hansen. The Wolfsburg playmaker has elegant technique, a good dribble and vision for a pass. If she thrives with Hegerberg, Norway could punch above their weight (ie, challenging all the way).

http://www.uefa.com/womenseuro/news/newsid=2483675.html

Grande

Guardian's take on the teams og the tournament:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...am-guide-to-the-tournament-in-the-netherlands

Today kicks off at 18.00 cet with The Netherlands v Norway!

Arsenal duo Van de Donk and Miedema will be ones to look out for with the Dutch, whereas I hope our Ada Hegerberg and Caroline Graham Hansen will turn up from the start. A tough group to get through for anyone of Holland, Norway and Belgium.

Sonny1972

i knew i was nuts when the squirrels started stari
Guardian's take on the teams og the tournament:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...am-guide-to-the-tournament-in-the-netherlands

Today kicks off at 18.00 cet with The Netherlands v Norway!

Arsenal duo Van de Donk and Miedema will be ones to look out for with the Dutch, whereas I hope our Ada Hegerberg and Caroline Graham Hansen will turn up from the start. A tough group to get through for anyone of Holland, Norway and Belgium.

Lieke Martens is the best Dutch player for the Netherlands .

Giggsy92

Channel 4 seem to be pushing this pretty hard, seen quite a lot of adverts for England vs Scotland. Good to see it getting a bit of attention.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Damn, so disappointed, back to the nsfw thread :nervous:
Or maybe a time travel back to the 19th century, your shitty sense of humor should be more appreciated back then.

spwd

Or maybe a time travel back to the 19th century, your shitty sense of humor should be more appreciated back then.
Sorry, didn't realise it was the wrong time of the month for you:wenger:

spwd

Classy follow up.
Christ what's wrong with you lot in here, someone saying I've got a shitty sense of humour, coming from someone who obviously hasn't got one at all, how to make a mountain out of a molehill, I'll leave you lot to get on with it but lighten up for gods sake.

Grande

Thorisdatter bosses the midfield for Norway, but the Dutch front four are quick and dangerous (Miedema, Van de Donk, Martens and lightning winger Van der Sanden). Hjelmseth has three good to brilliant saves to spare the Norwegian blushes by now.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Christ what's wrong with you lot in here, someone saying I've got a shitty sense of humour, coming from someone who obviously hasn't got one at all, how to make a mountain out of a molehill, I'll leave you lot to get on with it but lighten up for gods sake.
Pointing out that your 'joke' wasn't funny isn't a sign that someone lacks humor, it's simply a sign that I'm - unlike you - not a sexist pig. But carry on.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I do feel Norway has some good individuals in the team compared to previous years. Should be able to play more decent football.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It would be fine if you were funny. Problem is that whenever there is a thread on here about womens football the same tired, dull and cliched attempts at humour get repeated. Every single time. So you havent been in any way original, you have been tediously predictable and embarrassingly out of touch.
You werent funny, just childish and dull. Oh and did I mention tediously predictable......

Grande

Ah, Graham Hansen pulls loose in the box and almosts sets up Hegerberg on the first post! Damn.

Norways high pressing has left them vulnerable on the counter, but teo can play that game ...

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
To be fair to people who aren't aware it's the women's euro 2017 finals the thread title could be unclear. I didn't immediately think it was another 'boob watching' thread myself (that you see so much on the caf) but you can't slam spwd for thinking it with that title.

Red Katie's title was much clearer. Yous all need to calm down.

That second comment from spwd was fecking stupid though.

Stack

To be fair to people who aren't aware it's the women's euro 2017 finals the thread title could be unclear. I didn't immediately think it was another 'boob watching' thread myself (that you see so much on the caf) but you can't slam spwd for thinking it with that title.

Red Katie's title was much clearer. Yous all need to calm down.

That second comment from spwd was fecking stupid though.
he didnt need to make the moronic, predictable and tedious comment that happens every single womens football thread though did he? If he had half a brain he would have just kept it to himself. Thread title is perfectly clear to anyone other than simpletons.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surprised Adrine isn't starting for Norway.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
he didnt need to make the moronic, predictable and tedious comment that happens every single womens football thread though did he? If he had half a brain he would have just kept it to himself. Thread title is perfectly clear to anyone other than simpletons.
You seem like a really nice bloke :)

Daft comment from him yeah but no need for the insults.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Its just that it is a very old and tired joke. What's next? Kitchen jokes?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Remember when Norway could beat everyone.
Norway, Germany and USA(or was it Canada?) used to be the best, was great fun to follow our ladies back then.
Will try to catch a couple games this year.

spwd

Its just that it is a very old and tired joke. What's next? Kitchen jokes?
I'm here all day, let me know what kind of jokes you would like and I'll try to cheer you lot up ;)

Grande

Ive only caught the last 15 of the 1st half but seems reasonably even with maybe Norway edging it?
The Dutch set up a quick jab after 30 secs by Van der Sanden going to the line and cutting back for maybe the biggest chance of the game, great save by Hjelmseth! Then Norway took over with a good high pressing game and created some danger, before good interplay by the Dutch top four took advantage of the high line and dominated chances for a while. Norway pulled back, with Netherlands then dominating possession, but towards the end, it's Norway dominating on the counter with Thorisdatters good ball winning and passing from deep, and Graham Hansen and Hegerberg gelling more up top.

Second half will be interesting.

Stack

You seem like a really nice bloke :)

Daft comment from him yeah but no need for the insults.
Its been going on for years now in here. Racism, bigotry etc get jumped on quickly and rightly so but that type of boorish, childish sexism is left unpunished by the mods so feck it, Im going to get insulting with how I deal with it. I will at some point get banned but if nobody is going to deal with it then i feel quite justified in being a prick about it.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Channel 4 seem to be pushing this pretty hard, seen quite a lot of adverts for England vs Scotland. Good to see it getting a bit of attention.
Channel 4 are only showing certain games annoyingly, eurosport are showing every game though.

spwd

To be honest, if the op had the same title as the thread @Red Katie started then I wouldn't have made the joke, it was misleading.