Woodward (old thread)

Should Studward remain as CE of Manchester United?

• No - he should be sacked also.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Yes - he should stay.

Votes: 137 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Woody's heading in the right direction...at least it looks like that. He'll definitely needs to build deeper communication between his co-workers and us, the supporters.

On the other hand, he could even just shut the hell up and impress much more with actual effort and actions which I'm sure he is capable of, judging by his already epic collection of sponsorship agreements worth more than whole football clubs.

bishblaize

That's the point though - it's not that I'm p[anicking that this won't happen, it very probably will.

But calm is the very last thing we need right now. We need radical action, and the action we need most is confirmatoin of a manager who is prepared to kick some ass.
We have a three month period until the season starts. What matters is picking our path through adroitly so that on the first day of the season we're in fighting shape with the squad and the manager we need. At what specific point announcements are made is immaterial, as long as they are in place by the time we need them.

Kag

I'm Confused as to why any of us would have a (balanced) opinion on him yet. I'll have a very firm one when I see our starting 11 in August mind - ask me then
This is where I'm at. If Woodward pulls it of this Summer then we'll all be licking his balls.

Juan't Mata

I'm kinda impressed with him so far this Summer. Was ruthless with Rio, Phil and Woods, got straight in there with an aggressive and substantial offer for Shaw and it looks to me like has been in contact with LVG for weeks annd has the deal done bar an official anouncement. Getting Mata done in January was impressive and had no problem getting Rooney, Nani and Januzaj signed up to substantial long term deals - whether yoiu agree with them being done or not, he is doing his job as a CEO well by protecting the value of assets.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm kinda impressed with him so far this Summer. Was ruthless with Rio, Phil and Woods, got straight in there with an aggressive and substantial offer for Shaw and it looks to me like has been in contact with LVG for weeks annd has the deal done bar an official anouncement.
You don't get to where he is without being a ruthless bastard.

phelans shorts

I really don't get those saying he's useless. He was given impossible transfer targets from dithering Dave, then left us with one option on deadline day, an injured Marouane Fellaini who has had no chance to settle due to injuries.

Then he managed to pull Mata out of the blue and he's still useless. Mental how people think they know anything when fact is, they don't. He wouldn't be in the job if he wasn't a highly competent worker, since he's been at the club for a long time without getting the boot.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I really don't get those saying he's useless. He was given impossible transfer targets from dithering Dave, then left us with one option on deadline day, an injured Marouane Fellaini who has had no chance to settle due to injuries.

Then he managed to pull Mata out of the blue and he's still useless. Mental how people think they know anything when fact is, they don't. He wouldn't be in the job if he wasn't a highly competent worker, since he's been at the club for a long time without getting the boot.
He's a Glazer man. I've heard that he's pretty useless on the footballing side of things and "couldn't tell the difference between a rugby ball and a football".

Smores

Well you've just made a lot of assumptions there so unless your Woody himself......or mental indeed...

manutddjw

It’s too early to tell with him because I put our last summer solely on Moyes rather than Ed. I doubt a lot of these decisions such as appointing Van Gaal have anything to do with him. My interpretation is that people who know what they’re talking about (which Ed probably doesn’t) make the calls and Ed goes from there.

When it comes to the part most are concerned with; transfer business, I don’t see how he is to blame. The dream team of Sir Alex and David Gill missed out on a lot of players over the years and nobody would say David Gill was incompetent. We could offer 50 million for Vidal and offer him 250 000 a week, but that still doesn’t mean Vidal will choose to come here just like Hazard, Lucas or Sanchez wanted to play elsewhere. The most damning thing against him was the 25 million bid for Fabregas, but remember Chelsea made the same low ball bid for Rooney this summer as well. It’s a negotiation tactic, which I’m not qualified to pass judgment on it’s effectiveness.

I will say that my one opinion on him that hasn’t changed is that he has the face of an evil, untrustworthy human being, which may not be a good thing in his line of work.

pocco

loco
It’s too early to tell with him because I put our last summer solely on Moyes rather than Ed. I doubt a lot of these decisions such as appointing Van Gaal have anything to do with him. My interpretation is that people who know what they’re talking about (which Ed probably doesn’t) make the calls and Ed goes from there.

When it comes to the part most are concerned with; transfer business, I don’t see how he is to blame. The dream team of Sir Alex and David Gill missed out on a lot of players over the years and nobody would say David Gill was incompetent. We could offer 50 million for Vidal and offer him 250 000 a week, but that still doesn’t mean Vidal will choose to come here just like Hazard, Lucas or Sanchez wanted to play elsewhere. The most damning thing against him was the 25 million bid for Fabregas, but remember Chelsea made the same low ball bid for Rooney this summer as well. It’s a negotiation tactic, which I’m not qualified to pass judgment on it’s effectiveness.

I will say that my one opinion on him that hasn’t changed is that he has the face of an evil, untrustworthy human being, which may not be a good thing in his line of work.
Why would you out it all on Moyes? Soubds like you're just burying yoyr head in the sand. The best signing we've made in his tenure was Juan Mata and it took Fergie and Gill to front the negotiations just so he couldn't feck it up.

phelans shorts

Well you've just made a lot of assumptions there so unless your Woody himself......or mental indeed...
Well I haven't. Look at the "targets" from last year. Thiago, no chance once Pep showed an interest. Cesc, never a shot in hell once Thiago had moved on, as common sense would tell you. Herrera was identified far too late, Bilbao played hard ball and made it physically impossible.

redevil2

We have a three month period until the season starts. What matters is picking our path through adroitly so that on the first day of the season we're in fighting shape with the squad and the manager we need. At what specific point announcements are made is immaterial, as long as they are in place by the time we need them.
Agreed! What happened in the background, the right things etc. is most important. Announcement is secondary because you would want deals to be struck and preparation to be had to get ready for next season. Announcement are just formality

pocco

loco
and who says it has. We struggled because we hired a guy who's talent ceiling was mid table as the manager. Simple.
But this manager had verbal agreements with players and agents, which was well publicised at tge time IIRC, that they'd make the move. They fell apart when Woodward got involved with the clubs. This was also well publicised and clubs were complaining in the media about his conduct.

RedBistro

But this manager had verbal agreements with players and agents, which was well publicised at tge time IIRC, that they'd make the move. They fell apart when Woodward got involved with the clubs. This was also well publicised and clubs were complaining in the media about his conduct.
Any evidence for any of this?

The only things I've read were we had deals lined up for Garay and Thiago (maybe others), but they were scrapped by Moyes.

Woodzy

He's sucking the last ounce of soul and romanticism out of the club. The way we operate under him is completely unrecognisable to what this club has been all about. He's just not a football guy at all.
He's running a business (which in a way does emphasise your point), he has a job to do and that job is to make sure our club is winning trophies and competing at the top level, so that in turn the Glazers can continue showering in money. It may not be what we are used to, but it's the way things need to work for him to do his job.

We can't get on his back just yet. When next season is kicking off and our squad is still a mess, then we should sharpen the pitchforks, but right now I believe he is doing what is needed and our intent this summer has been made clear by many more people within the club than just him.

There seems to be a lot of panicking round here at the moment, we all seem to be forgetting that less that a month ago David Moyes was set to lead us into next season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why would you out it all on Moyes? Soubds like you're just burying yoyr head in the sand. The best signing we've made in his tenure was Juan Mata and it took Fergie and Gill to front the negotiations just so he couldn't feck it up.
The Mata deal was Woodward doing, he used SAF and Gill because Abramovich wanted Rooney, and he didn't wanted to be forced to make a compromise.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/26/chelsea-manchester-united-juan-mata-transfer

Last edited:

pocco

loco
He's running a business (which in a way does emphasise your point), he has a job to do and that job is to make sure our club is winning trophies and competing at the top level, so that in turn the Glazers can continue showering in money. It may not be what we are used to, but it's the way things need to work for him to do his job.

We can't get on his back just yet. When next season is kicking off and our squad is still a mess, then we should sharpen the pitchforks, but right now I believe he is doing what is needed and our intent this summer has been made clear by many more people within the club than just him.

There seems to be a lot of panicking round here at the moment, we all seem to be forgetting that less that a month ago David Moyes was set to lead us into next season.
This is the thing though, 90% of posters on here will only be concerned about who we sign and that. He's going to be throwing around mega bucks, unprecedented amounts never matched by us before. I could look good doing that. It takes the need to negotiate with any level of competence out of the equation because clubs are going to just rinse us. He's probably great commercially but he doesn't seem to know football, which is pretty important when you're running a football club.

Kag

What are you blithering on about now? What agreements and with whom, exactly?

Boycott

On what basis do people think he doesn't know about football?

Seems to be the common theme when discussing all executive board members at football clubs. "He's not a football man."

Kag

This guy might just be the clown we suspect come September, and I also dislike his incessant posturing towards the media that has yet to be fully backed up, but where along the line has he "sucked the soul" out of the club? What has he done?

I've read this a few times now and I just don't understand what he or the club has done wrong? Sacked a born loser? Relieved staff of their positions at the behest of the incoming manager? If and when something goes tits up then we can come out with this kind of thing.

RedBistro

This guy might just be the clown we suspect come September, and I also dislike his incessant posturing towards the media that has yet to be fully backed up, but where along the line has he "sucked the soul" out of the club? What has he done?

I've read this a few times now and I just don't understand what he or the club has done wrong? Sacked a born loser? Relieved staff of their positions at the behest of the incoming manager? If and when something goes tits up then we can come out with this kind of thing.
If anyone is to blame for anything of the sort, it has to be Moyes.

Woodward is a business man, business men run football clubs not "football men". Look at who these people are, you can't tell me Daniel Levy is a "football man", were Kenyon or Gill ever known to be "football men"? What about all other CEOs? I don't think so.

Woodward has been at the club for a very long time, he most certainly knows more about the running of the club than we do, and apart from 2 transfer windows where he had to work with dithering Dave, he hasn't done anything wrong in my eyes.

Would have been nice for Rio to have been given a proper send-off like Vidic perhaps, but apart from that..

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
This is the thing though, 90% of posters on here will only be concerned about who we sign and that. He's going to be throwing around mega bucks, unprecedented amounts never matched by us before. I could look good doing that. It takes the need to negotiate with any level of competence out of the equation because clubs are going to just rinse us. He's probably great commercially but he doesn't seem to know football, which is pretty important when you're running a football club.
I think he picked up a thing or two about football during his years at Manchester United. It's impossible not to learn the trade of a business after working there for so many years. For a while I worked logistics at a hospital and I had nothing to do with medicine but I ended up learning what certain equipment is used for, what type of consumables are used for different kinds of treatments and many other things on the way.

Lance Uppercut

Stupid, meaningless, cliched crap employed by lazy people who can't make a point based on facts.

Bojan11

Like I said let's wait and see.

Moyes rejected Strootman, Garay and Thiago last year. If Woodward doesn't deliver then he is a failure. If he does then we could blame last summer on Moyes.

pocco

loco
I think he picked up a thing or two about football during his years at Manchester United. It's impossible not to learn the trade of a business after working there for so many years. For a while I worked logistics at a hospital and I had nothing to do with medicine but I ended up learning what certain equipment is used for, what type of consumables are used for different kinds of treatments and many other things on the way.
But that doesn't make you a doctor, if you get what I mean.

Loon

:lol:
It all seems incredibly disorganized at the moment. Rumblings about Scholes, Butt et al not having a clue what is going on with their futures and the neverending story which is Louis van Gaal’s appointment. He’s running a bit of a circus at the moment is old Ed.

The Red Thinker

It all seems incredibly disorganized at the moment. Rumblings about Scholes, Butt et al not having a clue what is going on with their futures and the neverending story which is Louis van Gaal’s appointment. He’s running a bit of a circus at the moment is old Ed.
Sigh.

Some people never stop. Seems disorganised? What's the evidence?

The most logical and credible answer as to why Van Gaal's appointment has been delayed is because the contractual situation took time. Add to that LVG currently training the national team, any announcement about LVG would disrupt their training process and hence it has been delayed. Giggs's is situation is being assessed and therefore he met with LVG recently (on the off day that he had).

People need to understand that it's not been 10 days since we ended the season. We are being cautious about our appointment and that deserves credit and scorn.

The transfers will have obviously been discussed with Van Gaal and recently the Telegraph and the Guardian came out saying that Van Gaal has given his list of targets to Woodward.

What more do people want?? Don't scrutinise every minute of every day. Go live a life outside this website ffs.

The Red Thinker

The Mata deal was Woodward doing, he used SAF and Gill because Abramovich wanted Rooney, and he didn't to be forced to make a compromise.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/26/chelsea-manchester-united-juan-mata-transfer
It was an expert manoeuvre by Woodward and that has to be said. Watch all the negative sentiment flip when he signs a couple of good players. Some people here literally refresh this website every two minutes throughout the day, they're the ones all flustered. The questions about information leaking is a valid point and his approach in the previous window was flawed. That has to be criticised, but all this talk of him being incompetent without any other information smacks of paranoia.

To be the top man at United at the age of 40 with David Gill's blessing means he's a talented man.

Loon

:lol:
Sigh.

Some people never stop. Seems disorganised? What's the evidence?

The most logical and credible answer as to why Van Gaal's appointment has been delayed is because the contractual situation took time. Add to that LVG currently training the national team, any announcement about LVG would disrupt their training process and hence it has been delayed. Giggs's is situation is being assessed and therefore he met with LVG recently (on the off day that he had).

People need to understand that it's not been 10 days since we ended the season. We are being cautious about our appointment and that deserves credit and scorn.

The transfers will have obviously been discussed with Van Gaal and recently the Telegraph and the Guardian came out saying that Van Gaal has given his list of targets to Woodward.

What more do people want?? Don't scrutinise every minute of every day. Go live a life outside this website ffs.
Where's the evidence we're being cautious about our appointment?

It's amazing how some people assume their own reading of the situation is on the money and other people's deserves nothing but patronizing scorn. FFS indeed

The Red Thinker

Where's the evidence we're being cautious about our appointment?

It's amazing how some people assume their own reading of the situation is on the money.
Why don't you read the papers eh? Times, Guardian, Telegraph... Read the credible ones. Watch the credible news channels. Sky and BBC. This is how I have come to my conclusions.

They may not get it right all the time but when their thoughts all coincide then that goes beyond opinion and becomes an unannounced fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.