Woodward (old thread)

Should Studward remain as CE of Manchester United?

• No - he should be sacked also.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Yes - he should stay.

Votes: 137 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loon

:lol:
Don't pretend to know ins and outs of transfers and whatnot, but he strikes me as a bit of a wide-boy only interested in furthering the United brand who actually has little interest in football.

May have him wrong, but feel he needs to be more Gill and less Del.

Oh, and I still think Ian Hislop every time I see him.

IMHO.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
The poll shocked me. I can't believe so many want him to stay.

JB7

Think some of the criticsm is harsh, he's made tough decisions that most people on here have agreed with. Maybe some things could have been handled better but ultimately, that's business.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The poll shocked me. I can't believe so many want him to stay.
To be fair a lot of votes were a while back I would guess.

Also, I don't think he's done THAT much wrong (until last couple of days). The first transfer window was a shambles but then, that is the price the club plays when they let the two most important people in the entire club leave at the same time.

The whole thing has been a complete and utter shambles beyond anything I could have imagined.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He has my backing for the summer at least. He showed promising signs in January by grabbing the player the manager wanted. He then got rid of the poor manager and his staff. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt regarding the leaks and the Rio situation.

Play your cards right during the next few months and you'll become a hero around Old Trafford, Sheriff Woody.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's being ruthless. It's a little scary but it's what everyone has been saying we need to do all year. It's just that he's the man with the axe people are apprehensive or criticising it.

MDFC Manager

Would be interesting to see how he gets along with LvG as opposed to Moyes. While the latter was a ditherer, the former is apparently averse to signing a lot of players.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Would be interesting to see how he gets along with LvG as opposed to Moyes. While the latter was a ditherer, the former is apparently averse to signing a lot of players.
Too much is being made of this "LvG doesn't sign players" nonsense. He's been lucky to have some exceptional youngsters at each of the clubs he has excelled at. If he feels he has that here it's a good thing, otherwise he's not going to go into next season with a poor squad because he doesn't like signing players.

MkPaul

learnt from the best
He has been ruthless, it's nice to see. The problem with he has dealt with things quite poorly.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I hope he knows exactly what he's doing. After letting the likes of Vidic, Rio and probably Evra go, United MUST buy new quality players

NJM78

By the end of the coming transfer window I will answer this one.
It was a complete farce last year as we all know but for months now the press have been going on about this apparent war chest worth 100-200m depending on reports, Mata was alluding to the signings that will be made this summer (I'm sure this came up during his negotiations), Giggs too has mentioned we will be bringing in new players and for once...so far..the club has not come out with its usual annual excuses of 'no value in market' and 'the squad is strong enough' bollocks.
This for me all points to there is cash and the club know they will probably have to spend higher than maybe their own valuations of players because A) we are desperate and clubs know this B) less time this window and most importantly C) Woodward cannot fail again.
It's a good sign that although maybe not the most tactful of people, he is wielding the axe with purpose of late. I really hope he has Ashley Young and Tom Cleverley in his sights!

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Don't trust him. Acted like a muppet in the summer, failed to acquire any targets, kept Moyes longer for a lesser payout instead to trying to salvage 4th, leaks about big spending, far too many reports on actual transfer targets.

He is like a drunk teenager with a bottle of jack in one hand and keys to a fast car in another. Don't think this'll end well.

MDFC Manager

Too much is being made of this "LvG doesn't sign players" nonsense. He's been lucky to have some exceptional youngsters at each of the clubs he has excelled at. If he feels he has that here it's a good thing, otherwise he's not going to go into next season with a poor squad because he doesn't like signing players.
I'm only going off what the Bayern following posters have said and what LvG himself has said.

We'll find out soon enough i guess.

smallred

i reckon like MOyes and Rio, his day will come soon....he is nothing buy an embarassment to the club. am shocked over 3/4s of our fans back him, when it was almost 3/4s against him in december.

The Red Thinker

He's being ruthless. It's a little scary but it's what everyone has been saying we need to do all year. It's just that he's the man with the axe people are apprehensive or criticising it.
I think it all depends on how he invests. If we manage to get Hummels in, I'd be over the moon.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's really trying to move us into a more modern football club and trying to distance us from Fergie's regime as much as possible. Quite frankly it remains to be seen if it's the right decision.

I am, however, really annoyed by the way he's just let Rio go out the back door. He deserved a proper send off.

Crustanoid

Well, he hasn't signed anyone yet, and that is how we should assess him. Last season he presided over a terrible summer window and an ok january window (ok as things go.... even at 37 million we got a quality player in Mata, but it remains to be seen whether we will get the best from him or whether he will be compatible to our future system).

If he wraps up a few good strong sugnings early on in the window, things will start to look better for him.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
He's really trying to move us into a more modern football club and trying to distance us from Fergie's regime as much as possible. Quite frankly it remains to be seen if it's the right decision.

I am, however, really annoyed by the way he's just let Rio go out the back door. He deserved a proper send off.
I think he's right to move the club forward into a more modern model and away from the SAF model for the single reason that we don't have Sir Alex Ferguson as manager any more.

As far as Rio goes, club legend and I actually like him as a person but I have a feeling he was probably in a fair bit of trouble behind the scenes for his behaviour this season and forfeited his opportunity to go out with the respect he should.

SirAF

Ageist

I pretended to be Ed Woodward for my presentation in the subject "Business Communication: Negotiation & Presentations"

Got an A :drool:

Anderson18

Hate him. Lacks class and any kind of knowledge about football matters. Might be great for the commerical part but he is the best example for the Peter principle.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He comes across as a bit of a ruthless sneak but I suppose that's actually a bit of a benefit in that sort of role.

I wouldn't want to have to trust him but if he's effective then we can hardly complain.

Varun

Staff
Could have handled the Rio sending off better but he's being ruthless and we need that.

Dont know why he's getting flak for the changes in staff, if Van Gaal asks for it, we have to give it to him.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
He could of been better in handling Rio but you can tell that he wants us to be champions next year with how ruthless he has been going.

Amir

Besides the naivete caused by Inexperience last summer, what exactly has he done wrong again?
He might have broken the news to Rio that he wasn't going to be offered a new contract in a very silly manner. Which, if true, is rather disgusting, but that's about it.

Maldini's Hair

I'm quite pleased to see someone ruthless who is not averse to doing what needs to be done. Yes he's not been perfect (Rio situation a good example) but he's probably been given instruction from the incoming boss (LVG?) and he's carrying those out without hesitation. Seems like his forte is the commercial side of things but he's obviously a smart man and he knows that on the pitch success is a big part of delivering the off the field riches. Hopefully he goes all out this summer to make sure we're back where we belong.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thing is, we don't fully know what happened. We're just getting one side of the story. Still, this summer is huge for him and he still needs to sort out some contracts, mainly DDG and Welbeck.

SammyUnited_83

Not sure he can be blamed for the handling of Rio. It's a tough one because he has been such a good player for us, however he has acted up this year and perhaps if he wanted a better send off he should have been more professional, instead he was tweeting cryptic messages on the day Moyes was on his way.

Woodward is just pulling the trigger at the moment, doesn't necessarily mean he is loading the gun - we have had a shite season, shite attitude, shite performances, I imagine there will be a few more casualties yet.

Seveneric

He might have broken the news to Rio that he wasn't going to be offered a new contract in a very silly manner. Which, if true, is rather disgusting, but that's about it.
Meh. If that's it I don't mind. Nice to see a bit of ruthlessness even if it is a bit dickish.

Kag

I gave him a lot of stick last Summer and wasn't remotely impressed by him. However, I don't really understand why he's getting stick right now. The delivery of the dismissals is a little up in the air, but they're the correct decisions, as well as decisions that are being carried out on behalf of Van Gaal.

Woodward has got a massive Summer ahead, he'll either be a hero or villain, so he better have a big set of bollocks on him. I do appreciate his efforts towards modernising the club, which is imperative, no matter how many people are disappointed along the way. The Ferguson era is over.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That may sounds stupid, but i think that he is a great prospect and that with experience is going to be a very good vice-chairman.

I don't see him as the finished product, but more as a young chairman who has a lot to bring.

Kag

You also get the impression that Moyes' dithering was a bigger influence during last Summer's debacle than first imagined.

Loon

He's following orders. He is in no position to be ruthless. His job depends on him carrying out those instructions.

His apparently asking journalists' opinions on "marquee" players is a bit of a worry. Still, it's about sales.

The Red Thinker

He's following orders. He is in no position to be ruthless. His job depends on him carrying out those instructions.

His apparently asking journalists' opinions on "marquee" players is a bit of a worry. Still, it's about sales.
Would love to know where that came from. Smells like tabloid bullshit to me. United have been right on for the picking this past year and this feels like one of them eggs.

Loon

Would love to know where that came from. Smells like tabloid bullshit to me. United have been right on for the picking this past year and this feels like one of them eggs.
Possibly, but I don't see the value in it as a tabloid piece. Believe it was an off-hand remark in a broadsheet.

The Red Thinker

Possibly, but I don't see the value in it as a tabloid piece. Believe it was an off-hand remark in a broadsheet.
Well, I'd advise you to disregard off-hand remarks. To let that worry you would be comical.

No value in it? Been reading the papers here for the past 10 years? There've been full-page spreads for far less. The Papers have gone to shit in recent years. A few good ones remain. It's all about making money now and only some have the financial muscle to maintain unprejudiced news pieces. Even they have journalists who don't often get it right.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Whether he's good at his job or not, who knows? Some stories about the Mata signing have him as some silent genius, while more say SAF and Gill had a quick word with the chavs and got it done. Other than that, almost nothing has gone right in transfers of handling of players, staff and business. Besides that new drink that's the official booze of Man Utd or whatever.....

More than that though, with the way he seems to deal with people, is he just a massive arsehole?

Also, I read he was a Liverpool fan, which would make the previous question answered with a resounding yes.

Loon

Well, I'd advise you to disregard off-hand remarks. To let that worry you would be comical.

No value in it? Been reading the papers here for the past 10 years? There've been full-page spreads for far less. The Papers have gone to shit in recent years. A few good ones remain. It's all about making money now and only some have the financial muscle to maintain unprejudiced news pieces.
There obviously wasn't value in it because it wasn't splashed everywhere. It's also been said he talks too much to the press. Just because the papers are largely full of bullshit not everything should be discounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.