Woodward (old thread)

Should Studward remain as CE of Manchester United?

• No - he should be sacked also.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Yes - he should stay.

Votes: 137 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

First window - Terrible

Second window - Desperate

Third window - We'll see. A good start with Shaw it seems

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Would love to know where that came from. Smells like tabloid bullshit to me. United have been right on for the picking this past year and this feels like one of them eggs.
Daniel Taylor in the Guardian. Although, as reported, Woodward wasn't asking their opinion just casually dropping it into the conversation that he thought United needed to sign a 'superstar'. TBF if he signed a superstar centre midfielder we'd all be on him like flies on much.

Loon

:lol:
Daniel Taylor in the Guardian. Although, as reported, Woodward wasn't asking their opinion just casually dropping it into the conversation that he thought United needed to sign a 'superstar'. TBF if he signed a superstar centre midfielder we'd all be on him like flies on much.
Ahh. Thanks for that! Been trying to flippin' remember where I saw it! Is this the piece which suggested why Cavani was linked or have I mixed it up?

SirAF

Ageist
That may sounds stupid, but i think that he is a great prospect and that with experience is going to be a very good vice-chairman.

I don't see him as the finished product, but more as a young chairman who has a lot to bring.
This. There is a very good reason why he was given the job, he is oviously razor sharp and he will continue to adapt.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This. There is a very good reason why he was given the job, he is oviously razor sharp and he will continue to adapt.
That and the fact he helped the Glazers buy the club, has been at the club since the take over, and he is 100% their man.

He's like that dude with the glasses from Banshee, he just gets the nod from Joel or Avram and who ever has pissed them off wakes up with no testicles or being fed into a sausage making machine.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ahh. Thanks for that! Been trying to flippin' remember where I saw it! Is this the piece which suggested why Cavani was linked or have I mixed it up?
Same piece. Although later on Twitter Daniel Taylor clarified Cesc was Woodwards top target.

Nights

Woodward is just pulling the trigger at the moment, doesn't necessarily mean he is loading the gun - we have had a shite season, shite attitude, shite performances, I imagine there will be a few more casualties yet.
Exactly.

I don't know how people can be blaming him for the departures of players like Vidic and Rio. It's clear that he's getting instruction from within the club, probably from our next manager, and he's going about it how a CEO should go about it.

If he can pull of the transfers that have been going round the press this summer, then I think he'd have done a good job overall. Let's give him a bit of time without the Moyes effect before prematurely judging him.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
That and the fact he helped the Glazers buy the club, has been at the club since the take over, and he is 100% their man.

He's like that dude with the glasses from Banshee, he just gets the nod from Joel or Avram and who ever has pissed them off wakes up with no testicles or being fed into a sausage making machine.
Now that you mention it he does remind of that guy from Banshee...you won't like to mess him around with him.

Loon

:lol:
Same piece. Although later on Twitter Daniel Taylor clarified Cesc was Woodwards top target.
Thanks. Let's hope he can get his shirt-selling marquee player in a position we actually need one!

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
Woodward is doing a fabulous job,if Utd wants to get back to the top then there shouldn't be sentiments involved,and rio move proves that.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
His performance can be judged a week before the start of the next campaign. He needs to sort out and strengthen the departments which are lacking in a time-frame which allows us to get everything sorted before the start of the season and not going into the first game with an incomplete team.

SirFergie

If we get the central defender, left-back, two central midfielders, left winger and get rid of certain players then I think he can judged well for this Summer. On the other hand, there's a long way to go yet.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Woodward is doing a fabulous job,if Utd wants to get back to the top then there shouldn't be sentiments involved,and rio move proves that.
What exactly has he done for you to say he is doing a "fabulous" job?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
fabulous job?

What has he actually done? Told a clearly over the hill defender he's offski?
Briefed a couple of papers that we're after some ridiculous big names?

::sonny::

I have a dream in my heart
Seeing President Roy
Keano for president
ROY ROY ROY

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I have a dream in my heart
Seeing President Roy
Keano for president
ROY ROY ROY

Keane knows feck all. He just likes to have a dig wherever he can even though he knows nothing about what is actually happening behind the scenes. In fact, I reckon Keane might actually post on here under the name "Devilish".

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Best thing he can do is let Van Gaal bring a director of football type person in.

Let Woodward bring do the finances (which he's clearly good at) and the football negotiation stuff to those who understand it (which he clearly can't)

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We will be active in the transfer market and deals will be done. The club's expectations - and you will see this reflected in the transfer market and what we have recently done from a managerial perspective - are absolutely to get back into the Champions League.
So van Gaal will be expected to deliver top four next season.

Also, has Woodward essentially become our director of football?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So van Gaal will be expected to deliver top four next season.

Also, has Woodward essentially become our director of football?
That's what all our ex - chairman have been. So yes.

Which is another reason why a director of football makes sense.

KiD MoYeS

That's what all our ex - chairman have been. So yes.

Which is another reason why a director of football makes sense.
Well I mean Gill worked in unison with Ferguson so this is somewhat different. We've Woodward travelling alone throughout Europe attempting to sign player's.

Sir A1ex

Sorry, but for me there's not a single thing this guy has done yet that indicates any particular level of competence.

OK, so the LVG thing may well be progressing, and hopefully it will all go through eventually, but the whole way the club has handled it is yet another shambles. As with everything Woody is involved with it's just weeks of endless newspaper stories and speculation, with the saying nothing while moving at glacial speed.

After the year we've had, the whole mindset of the club needs to change, and in order to this we need fast, decisive action from the top. I actually thnk his time working in corporate acquisitions is working against him - he's perfectly happy to just let things meander along for weeks on end while people get their houses in order at their own pace. This is not appropriate for a football club with a limited amount of time to get its shit together before the new season starts.

KiD MoYeS

How fast do you expect us to move? The season hasn't finished yet in a World Cup year. Be reasonable.

Ninja_Spade

Sorry, but for me there's not a single thing this guy has done yet that indicates any particular level of competence.

OK, so the LVG thing may well be progressing, and hopefully it will all go through eventually, but the whole way the club has handled it is yet another shambles. As with everything Woody is involved with it's just weeks of endless newspaper stories and speculation, with the saying nothing while moving at glacial speed.

After the year we've had, the whole mindset of the club needs to change, and in order to this we need fast, decisive action from the top. I actually thnk his time working in corporate acquisitions is working against him - he's perfectly happy to just let things meander along for weeks on end while people get their houses in order at their own pace. This is not appropriate for a football club with a limited amount of time to get its shit together before the new season starts.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think we need a director of football and just let Ed concentrate on sponsorship deals, etc. He clearly hasn't a clue what he's doing. I just hope the deal for LvG is signed, sealed, and delivered or I see us missing out on him. People in the know think it is. So here's hoping.

binary bot

The season has finished four days! You think we have total control over the press? You think the press aren't going to speculate on every move we make? We're hardly different from most big clubs, the only difference is that you're paying attention to Manchester United and not any others, and putting massive emphasis on every move we make.

Most people seem to be paying attention to all the mindless bullshit printed in the Twitter thread and treating it with credibility and then acting surprised when it doesn't come true.

Bojan11

Next three months are make or break for him.

Last season we could also blame Moyes. But having two disastrous summer windows in a row and the blame will be on him.

Sir A1ex

The season has finished four days!
We fired our manager a month ago!

I know this is new territory for us, but I've noticed most clubs don't spend this long sorting out having a manager. There's absolutely no reason we coulndn't have unveiled him a couple of weeks back, before he had to turn his attention to the world cup, if we'd moved fast enough to get it all wrapped up.

Bojan11

I know this is new territory for us, but I've noticed most clubs don't spend this long sorting out having a manager. There's absolutely no reason we coulndn't have unveiled him a couple of weeks back, before he had to turn his attention to the world cup, if we'd moved fast enough to get it all wrapped up.
Man City and Chelsea announced Pellegrinni and Mourinho in June last year.

When everyone knew they would join in April and May.

bishblaize

Indeed. A modicum of calm would be a good thing. I have no doubt our various transfer sagas will run on all summer, as they always have.

binary bot
Man City and Chelsea announced Pellegrini and Mourinho in June last year.

Even better of an example when you consider what we did in the same year...rushed a candidate into the job before the season had ended with basically no recruitment process.

Sir A1ex

Indeed. A modicum of calm would be a good thing.
That's the point though - it's not that I'm p[anicking that this won't happen, it very probably will.

But calm is the very last thing we need right now. We need radical action, and the action we need most is confirmatoin of a manager who is prepared to kick some ass.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

You underestimate how long contracts need to take. Especially at that time, the club were still keeping their options open to other candidates (Ancelotti more than any other I'd imagine) it wasn't until very recently that LVG has been the main one in the frame.

A contract is by no means a sheet of paper, it has to detail and account for almost every situation that the manager will find himself in, at the very least it will be a 30 page document, then LVG's lawyers will have to read over every word, re-negotiate some things, our lawyers will have to do the same thing - it's a long and labourious task but thats why corporate lawyers get paid so much, any mistake even if its grammatical can hold up the process.

LVG keeps mentioning "process" and "time" each time a member of the press speak to him, drawing up and agreeing professional sports contracts take a very long time.

And no disrespect to other clubs who sack mangers all the time, they have less things to include in a contract in comparison to a manager at a club like United, image rights are concerned, club sponsorship cars etc. so their turn around is quicker.

goin4glory

It's quite ironic that after years of laughing at Madird (myself included) for have such terrible inner politics and squabbles we're turning into this ourselves. Sir Bobby didn't want Mounrinho, SAF picked Moyes, now LVG needs to keep Giggs on as assistant manager despite him having zero experience in the role because he knows "the united way" whatever that is. The delay in announcing LVG is most likely down to him wanting all of these elements ironed out before he arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.