Woody Review

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
That would be one hell of a comeback.

My guess would be - Laporte or De Vrij (his prefered number 3 is convieniently free for taking now), Felipe Anderson or Lucas Moura (both way younger than Pedro) and Zlatan or Kane (He's flattered and in the same time unsettled in Tottenham by United's interest).
Not Stones? Evans not playing in any of our matches...unless he is injured. He looked good in pre-season. I have not seen the players you mentioned. Kane would be excellent...but Spurs wont sell surely...

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not Stones? Evans not playing in any of our matches...unless he is injured. He looked good in pre-season. I have not seen the players you mentioned. Kane would be excellent...but Spurs wont sell surely...
Stones ? If we're ready to splash about 30-40 millions now then would be a boss signing even for the next 12 years to come.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I have been surprised by how much some of the media hates him, I can see no real reason apart from the fact that maybe because we have kept most of our business private so they are pissed.

Minimalist

Why? I firmly believe if we don't get another attacking player in we'll be lagging behind the rest... why is that over the top?

You know, apart from the need to chastise apparent meltdown posts being the done thing around here... where as this isn't actually a meltdown, more a suggestion that we need another attacking player.
Lagging behind who? Chelsea/City? Doubt we'll get anyone good enough to be ahead of them for now.

The rest? Doubt it.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Why? I firmly believe if we don't get another attacking player in we'll be lagging behind the rest... why is that over the top?
I don't put that on Woodward. For me, he's shown himself to be completely capable of Taking Care of Business... when we have the consenus & backing of the manager, philosophy, board, and willing parties to a transfer.

Something's been odd with the Pedro story for some time, there were several delays and he was completely available for a realistic price. There is a good reason the transfer didn't happen, we just don't know it. Maybe something changed in the trainer/coach's plans since the season started, but one thing that has remained constant is Woodward's ability to close deals when called upon.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
btw I was not overly impressed by what I saw of De Virj at the WC. Jones would be better.

but who knows what van Gaal is thinking. I would never have thought Blind would be played as a CB.
Fit Jones has similar if not better potential than De Vrij but that would require a lot more consistency from Englishman that we are about to see yet.

Blind is still temporary solution I think. Sooner or later we'll introduce new signing in CB department. Matter of time.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
:lol: Give over.
Southampton bleed players every year, PSV isn't exactly a complicated situation to deal with. What has woodward done to earn such a wankfest? Buy Di Maria for a record transfer fee only for him to be flogged off a year later? Sign Falcao on a year long loan at 300k a week?

SalfordRed1960

Southampton bleed players every year, PSV isn't exactly a complicated situation to deal with. What has woodward done to earn such a wankfest? Buy Di Maria for a record transfer fee only for him to be flogged off a year later? Sign Falcao on a year long loan at 300k a week?
Maybe, and it is just a thought, he completed transfers the manager wanted. Might be a long shot, but you never know.

Mali_Zeus

So every good deal is easy but every bad deal means he's bad at doing bussiness. Exactly, give over.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Woody has done okay on occassions but he has shown that he is a bit wet around the ears when dealing with transfers.

Hed Zitin

The man is getting a proper slapping and the national back pages aren't even leaked until tonight.

I don't really care about the press. We all know the London press don't like us anyway and why would I, I'm not him, but he'll have a bruised ego after this, regardless of all the other successful signings that have bedded in pretty well early on for good market value.

clarkydaz

Southampton say they aint selling, so they know if we actually want this guy then they can play hardball. We could pay more for him than Pedro

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I met Woody today outside the megastare at old Trafford managed to get a picture with him. He seems like a nice guy.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
People can be incredibly short-sighted.

The man becomes a hero to zero within minutes for some on here.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Not gonna get down on Woody. We don't know what's happening behind the scenes. Could well be something simple like LVG changed his mind - why then should Woodward take the blame?
For what it's worth, I don't think our interest in Pedro was firm - otherwise we would have gotten that deal done a long time ago. Look at Memphis - the moment other clubs started sniffing around, we snapped him up. So I don't think it's fair to suddenly have a go at Woody for one transfer that hasn't worked out for reasons we don't know.

Of course the press is going to make a big deal out of it, but I don't care. It's a waste of time getting upset about what any of those idiots have to say.

newgiz

People can be incredibly short-sighted.

The man becomes a hero to zero within minutes for some on here.
That is true indeed. And all of it for Pedro? I mean the guy is not exactly a world class player. (So just so everyone know. that's what I have been saying since the time it was reported that we were interested in him.I don't rate Otamendi too and hence don't consider us 'missing out' on him)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He sold Welbeck, for that alone I'd have expected you to hold a shrine to him in your basement.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Can you fecktards stop with these "review" threads?
There is no need to discuss Woodward after every single transfer-story.

NessunDorma

Imagine if, at this point, we'd only signed Darmian and Schneiderlin. People would be going off their tits, saying we were leaving our business far too late, and what the hell were the manager and board playing at?

Then imagine if, on transfer deadline day, we pulled Depay and Schweinsteiger out of the bag. People would then be like 'Yes! F*ckin' yes! This is the best transfer deadline day ever (since last season)!'. They'd think it was, on balance, a good summer of business.

But instead, we've made four very good signings, and made them early, with minimum fuss. And now people are basically complaining because they're bored, and there's no great saga to throw themselves into.

Get your signings in late? You've wasted the summer fannying around.

Get your signings in early? Your lack of activity in the later weeks of the window is a cause for concern and demonstrates a lack of ambition at best, incompetence at worst.

The board basically can't win.

I'm sure if the right players become available - players who'll genuinely improve the squad and who want to be here - we'll get them.

If not, then our business has been good anyway.

Just chill, and have a bit of trust that the people in charge know what they're doing.

Reactions: Rado_N

gza the genius

So the rumor is that LVG decided he didn't want Pedro and Woodward suddenly gets abuse. Would we rather he just buys players the manager doesn't want?

I'm not sure where the abuse comes from, especially after the other signings we've made this summer.

Will Absolute

Woody has done okay on occassions but he has shown that he is a bit wet around the ears when dealing with transfers.
No matter how good a negotiator you fancy yourself to be, it's very difficult to sell and buy things when you have no clear idea of their value, and no experience in the market. I've always thought United should employ a football person to do football business, not an accountant. At a minimum, the guy needs to appreciate that securing the right player is vastly more important than haggling for weeks over a few million quid in order to prove you're the biggest, swinging dick in town.

Judging from the outside, Woodward doesn't seem to understand the fundamentals. In this case, Barca didn't want to sell, but had given a promise to their player to let him go if a certain sum of money was put on the table. There was no reason for them to drop the price, and all the counter offers in the world wouldn't change that. So why all the haggling?

Elsewhere, even if the very low prices Woody secured for departing players is put down to the need to subsidize high wages, that doesn't apply to Tom Cleverley. An academy product, on modest wages, with one year left on his contract, whom Woody somehow managed to lose for nothing!

Unless we sign a top forward player in the next two weeks, this will go down as a screw-up. Pure and simple.

Brophs

The One and Only
I don't believe the Pedro deal fell down because of finances. If he preferred to go elsewhere the only criticism you can really level is if we'd moved sooner perhaps we'd have gotten it done. But that said, if Barca didn't want t sell before now what could we do. Similarly if LVG didn't fancy him he shouldn't be criticised for not going ahead with it. He'll have to be proven right, though, or the criticism will ramp up, IMO.

From the outside it doesn't look that much like Ed ballsed up this one. More like LVG sent him on a fool's errand on Monday and then changed his mind.

Mali_Zeus

No matter how good a negotiator you fancy yourself to be, it's very difficult to sell and buy things when you have no clear idea of their value, and no experience in the market. I've always thought United should employ a football person to do football business, not an accountant. At a minimum, the guy needs to appreciate that securing the right player is vastly more important than haggling for weeks over a few million quid in order to prove you're the biggest, swinging dick in town.

Judging from the outside, Woodward doesn't seem to understand the fundamentals. In this case, Barca didn't want to sell, but had given a promise to their player to let him go if a certain sum of money was put on the table. There was no reason for them to drop the price, and all the counter offers in the world wouldn't change that. So why all the haggling?

Elsewhere, even if the very low prices Woody secured for departing players is put down to the need to subsidize high wages, that doesn't apply to Tom Cleverley. An academy product, on modest wages, with one year left on his contract, whom Woody somehow managed to lose for nothing!

Unless we sign a top forward player in the next two weeks, this will go down as a screw-up. Pure and simple.
You do realize LVG pulled the plug on Pedro deal?

itso 7

There are three parties to a deal and when it falls through none of us are in a position to know why and who is responsible for what. What if Pedro's camp was busy touting him to Chelsea/City etc and was just stringing us along and Chelsea, after being outclassed at City, finally decided to play ball. How do we actually know? From the media? The same who link us to Gaitan every fecking window? Seriously!

Woodward came in, had a tough first summer but he has improved since then and we actually have a strong squad now. Fwiw we don'r really know what role Woodward actually plays or whether the plug was pulled from above him or whether are working on another transfer. I mean we've overpaid on a number of players I don't think we'd haggle over 5m euros to the detriment of the deal.

ghagua

I think Woody has done a very good job with the transfer, last year and this summer. If we have given up on Pedro, then it's not Woody's fault or the lack of money. It's either because LvG has changed his mind, or as reported, Pedro has spoken to the Spanish players at United and has changed his mind. Not sure why Woody is being blamed for anything.

eggwithsideburns

It was only recently he had us all soaring high, riding the muppet wave to woodyville, admit it we were all on board. It seemed he couldn't do no wrong. I still believe in him but things have wavered a bit.

It has been a huge rebuilding job, I think over all and considering he is relatively new to the role that he is doing a fine job. He impresses me but I do hope he doesn't change my opinion of him, we need to bring in a forward so get it done.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Imagine if, at this point, we'd only signed Darmian and Schneiderlin. People would be going off their tits, saying we were leaving our business far too late, and what the hell were the manager and board playing at?

Then imagine if, on transfer deadline day, we pulled Depay and Schweinsteiger out of the bag. People would then be like 'Yes! F*ckin' yes! This is the best transfer deadline day ever (since last season)!'. They'd think it was, on balance, a good summer of business.

But instead, we've made four very good signings, and made them early, with minimum fuss. And now people are basically complaining because they're bored, and there's no great saga to throw themselves into.

Get your signings in late? You've wasted the summer fannying around.

Get your signings in early? Your lack of activity in the later weeks of the window is a cause for concern and demonstrates a lack of ambition at best, incompetence at worst.

The board basically can't win.

I'm sure if the right players become available - players who'll genuinely improve the squad and who want to be here - we'll get them.

If not, then our business has been good anyway.

Just chill, and have a bit of trust that the people in charge know what they're doing.
Heh. Very true.

For me, the only doubts are whether we should have made more of an effort to get a really top CB or CF. I'm coming round to the idea that we're stocked in defence, now that Blind is showing his quality in the centre. As for a new striker, they're not easy to find. As we saw last night, we've actually got more options than people seem to realise. Hernandez provides pace in behind and is a proven PL goal-scorer. Fellaini is quality with his back to goal and Januzaj/Wilson also give us something different.

In an ideal world we'd somehow sign a young striker who will be the best in the world in the next few years. Meanwhile, let's just sit back and enjoy Depay smashing one in from the edge of the box every couple of games. I can live with that.