Woody Review

Iron Stove

So we chase a player for about a month, haggling over £2 million (God knows why....) and then one of our biggest rivals get the deal done in 2 days. Then journalists get a "LVG didn't want him anyway." line from the club.

It's ridiculous. I'd say it's trying to save face but there's none to be saved.
I'm not sure if Van Gaal wanted him or not, but I find it a lot harder to believe that the deal broke down over £2m.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
this makes us look like mugs from a pr perspective....seeing of how we had done our business up until now, i struggle to see why woodward felt the need to brief the press about our interest in Pedro before we had secured a deal, then scurrying now to declare that we have ended interest....we should have kept this inhouse ....like the schneiderlin deal where it was completely quiet on our end....woody public perception had been greatly boosted , but if he sells ddg to madrid....the narrative of incompetence especially by the press awill be reinforced

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I'm not sure if Van Gaal wanted him or not, but I find it a lot harder to believe that the deal broke down over £2m.
I'm pretty sure it broke down over a couple M's with PSG over Ronaldinho. They then sold him to Barca for slightly cheaper, to spite us.

We have a long history of fecking up deals, but we're Man United; we do what we want.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Another possibility is Pedro wanted assurances over starting 11, considering his status at Barca. Van Gaal doesn't give such (aside from his captain arguably) and Mourinho seemingly did.

Tomuś

I'm pretty sure it broke down over a couple M's with PSG over Ronaldinho. They then sold him to Barca for slightly cheaper, to spite us.

We have a long history of fecking up deals, but we're Man United; we do what we want.
We had Fergie and Gill back then. Huge difference.

Hed Zitin

If you believe that LvG did a sudden U turn, which I think is nothing more than saving face, I wonder how annoyed he must be. What a waste of his time if it is the case.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
We've all been yelling the entire summer about a CB and a striker. Now in the last 2 weeks Otamendi and Pedro get taken from under our noses by our DIRECT rivals.

Depay's goals have us breathing easier today but our league matches haven't been convincing and we clearly need more firepower up front.

Iron Stove

That was another time, with other people involved though. We don't seem to be penny pinching as much nowadays. Besides, didn't Barcelona step in late in negotiations then? You'd imagine a Brazilian preferring Barca. Can't remember now.

Anyways, I'm not going to lose sleep over losing out on Pedro even if I wanted him on the team.

Crustanoid

Muppet mode on: Blundering idiot. I knew Woody reminded me of somebody. His incompetence is only matched by Frank Spencer. We might as well kiss goodbye to top 4 and say hello to a season of unparalelled woe. Muppet mode off:

Judge him at the end of the season. If we haven't improved significantly by the end, when we had plenty of chances to sign the right players, then some decisions have to be made.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I don't think you can blame Woodward for this. It's a lot more believable that we backed out because LVG had second thoughts than we wanted to save £2m

Rednotdead

Regardless of what happened and why, we're going to get the piss ripped out of us big-time. Let's face it, we'd be doing the same if it were the other way round.

Mali_Zeus

this makes us look like mugs from a pr perspective....seeing of how we had done our business up until now, i struggle to see why woodward felt the need to brief the press about our interest in Pedro before we had secured a deal, then scurrying now to declare that we have ended interest....we should have kept this inhouse ....like the schneiderlin deal where it was completely quiet on our end....woody public perception had been greatly boosted , but if he sells ddg to madrid....the narrative of incompetence especially by the press awill be reinforced
Woody briefed the press about our interest?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
In terms of the transfer window, I think Ed Woodward has done well. I think there's been a massive overreaction to the Pedro deal falling through. Our squad is very strong, the depth on our bench last night was really impressive. Lets not forget the talent we have at United. A couple of years ago people were saying Adnan was a boy who could do anything. The meltdown being experienced by some is, to my mind, a little bit unneeded.

Tomuś

I don't think you can blame Woodward for this. It's a lot more believable that we backed out because LVG had second thoughts than we wanted to save £2m
Those who suggest Van Gaal would back off because of 2m must not know that he's the guy who broke the bank at AZ, spending ridiculous amount of money for an Eredivisie team. He did so just because they finished 2nd and 3rd in his first seasons and he wanted to win the league - isn't that similar to current scenario? Especially given that he himself said we had to improve our squad. It's second thoughts but the question is, on who's part - Van Gaal's or Pedro's.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Woody briefed the press about our interest?
yes....the pedro reports came out from multiple papers with the exact same reports...and then they was a picture of him with the journalists posted on the transfer thread too of him with the aforementioned journalists...so similar from past briefs the club gave just like the moyes one, or our non interest in otamendi....so yes..unless u r being pedantic on the issue and want exactly wen that exactly took place, which would be a waste of both our time

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
hes still got time to save himself,

Griezmann or muller please and all will be forgiven.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
hes still got time to save himself,

Griezmann or muller please and all will be forgiven.
Woodward has done well on our manager's targets. It's a question if van Gaal wants a player not doesn't. All sections of the media are saying that van Gaal pulled the plug on this one. I don't think Woodward would risk the relationship with van Gaal by briefing something like that unless it's the truth.

Unless we sign a striker or a top right sided midfielder similar to Pedro or Memphis we will struggle with opening teams who park the bus yet again.

Remember that Di Maria was signed because of this reason, we just couldn't open up teams that defend really well.

IwatUwat

In terms of the transfer window, I think Ed Woodward has done well. I think there's been a massive overreaction to the Pedro deal falling through. Our squad is very strong, the depth on our bench last night was really impressive. Lets not forget the talent we have at United. A couple of years ago people were saying Adnan was a boy who could do anything. The meltdown being experienced by some is, to my mind, a little bit unneeded.
Bench has to be stronger with Pedro on it though surely? Strengthening a rival and relatively weaker ourselves. Not ideal is it. UNLESS we have something else lined up

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I don't believe this supposed story that he didn't want to pay 21 millions after signing and selling Di Maria for twice the price.

Change of priority for United on the market must occurred. We have to be after bigger fish if we really cancelled interest in Pedro.

Witchking

Maybe LVG & Woody have something in store. But it surely ain't Muller. Maybe last night's game had LVG convinced that we do not need another striker. He named Adnan as a player who can play as a striker. So according to LVG we have Rooney, Hernandez,Adnan,Wilson and Memphis as well who can play there. So he might think we are well stocked. Just a couple of weeks more to come and all will be revealed.

But we have to surely look at it this way. We now have a brilliant midfield but after the signings things have gone downhill, the goal keeper crisis, rooney's performances scaring all fans about the prospect of him leading the line, plus the Pedro debacle. A good transfer window has been turned in to a mediocre window because of all the nonsense post the 2 big midfield captures.

I really hope that if no striker comes in, then LVG knows what he is doing.

mu4c_20le

So we chase a player for about a month, haggling over £2 million (God knows why....) and then one of our biggest rivals get the deal done in 2 days. Then journalists get a "LVG didn't want him anyway." line from the club.

It's ridiculous. I'd say it's trying to save face but there's none to be saved.
What's ridiculous is how you can deem the first two points as facts.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Woodward has done well on our manager's targets. It's a question if van Gaal wants a player not doesn't. All sections of the media are saying that van Gaal pulled the plug on this one. I don't think Woodward would risk the relationship with van Gaal by briefing something like that unless it's the truth.

Unless we sign a striker or a top right sided midfielder similar to Pedro or Memphis we will struggle with opening teams who park the bus yet again.

Remember that Di Maria was signed because of this reason, we just couldn't open up teams that defend really well.
At the moment im worried LVG is putting far too much faith in rooney, I'm certain he will be average all season because that's the way he's been going a few years now, we will never get 20 goals rooney we will struggle to get 15 from him, it doesn't really matter if he wants them or not at this point but I see no reason he wouldn't want muller or griezmann both would fit His philosophy quite well both can play anywhere across frontline.

I'm still confident we are going to pull a big signing before the window shuts.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Maybe LVG & Woody have something in store. But it surely ain't Muller. Maybe last night's game had LVG convinced that we do not need another striker. He named Adnan as a player who can play as a striker. So according to LVG we have Rooney, Hernandez,Adnan,Wilson and Memphis as well who can play there. So he might think we are well stocked. Just a couple of weeks more to come and all will be revealed.

But we have to surely look at it this way. We now have a brilliant midfield but after the signings things have gone downhill, the goal keeper crisis, rooney's performances scaring all fans about the prospect of him leading the line, plus the Pedro debacle. A good transfer window has been turned in to a mediocre window because of all the nonsense post the 2 big midfield captures.

I really hope that if no striker comes in, then LVG knows what he is doing.
It's the only explanation for the club that is aiming for titles who cleared the way for huge signings after dumping RVP, Falcao, Di Maria & Nani. Perhaps it's like you said: it's not even Muller but perhaps some younger striker talent with more strength than Pedro and definitely more suitable for Premier League.

Trying to understand the situation here and change of target is the only solution based on common sense so far...

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We will have something up our sleeve. The British media haven't a clue who but there will be somebody.

Look at our dealings late last Summer - Rojo came out of nowhere, Di Maria was a bit of a surprise in terms of the fact nobody thought it would happen. Radamel Falcao came completely out of the blue very quickly.

The same will happen again, we have money and there is no way Van Gaal will settle for his current attacking options having let Di Maria, RVP and Falcao leave, even if we do have Memphis, Hernandez back, a stronger midfield to allow Rooney to play further forward aswell as some exciting young attacking players.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
We will have something up our sleeve. The British media haven't a clue who but there will be somebody.

Look at our dealings late last Summer - Rojo came out of nowhere, Di Maria was a bit of a surprise in terms of the fact nobody thought it would happen. Radamel Falcao came completely out of the blue very quickly.

The same will happen again, we have money and there is no way Van Gaal will settle for his current attacking options having let Di Maria, RVP and Falcao leave.
My guess. We will get 3 more players. A striker, winger and a CB.

Minimalist

If we've lost out on Pedro, and don't sign anyone else this window, then I'd say he's fecked up all the goodwill be built up in the early parts of the window.
Good lord.

I want a new striker as much as anyone else but this kind of thinking is just so over the top.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Good lord.

I want a new striker as much as anyone else but this kind of thinking is just so over the top.
Why? I firmly believe if we don't get another attacking player in we'll be lagging behind the rest... why is that over the top?

You know, apart from the need to chastise apparent meltdown posts being the done thing around here... where as this isn't actually a meltdown, more a suggestion that we need another attacking player.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
We signed Memphis and Schneiderlin. The guys a god as far as I'm concerned.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
My guess. We will get 3 more players. A striker, winger and a CB.
That would be one hell of a comeback.

My guess would be - Laporte or De Vrij (his prefered number 3 is convieniently free for taking now), Felipe Anderson or Lucas Moura (both way younger than Pedro) and Zlatan or Kane (He's flattered and in the same time unsettled in Tottenham by United's interest).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Aye, he did very well in the early parts of the window, but such is our need for an attacking player (in my view) that if they don't manage to do so, I'd relegate his window to just being fine.

Apparently this is over the top, but hey-ho.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Woodward fecks up again? Who knew? Oh right, anyone who watched the summer of 2013.

Low hanging fruit.

MarkC

I really hope we will learn from this. It's not good PR for the club to come out and show our hand and seem interested in a player only for a rival to end up getting him. We need to just keep our mouths shut and get the deals done.

I'd like to find out the truth on what's happened here and think it will be fairly easy to tell from when we next get a Van Gaal press conference. I find it hard to believe this is a situation we have controlled and if we have the way it has been handled has been a PR disaster.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
As for im very happy with the players we have signed and bit worried about players we havent. That would a pacey wide man, prolific no9 and a CB.

We know next to nothing about this Perdo deal, dont belive we were million short of making it happen.

Witchking

Did you see the Griezmann tweet about Rooney (Oooooooh Rooney)? Maybe we are in for Griezmann after all...?

It's good to be positive but this is a bit too much. Only on the caf can we look at a tweet and imagine that United are in for him :D