g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

World class players in the PL

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
There are so many superb players who never played at the biggest stage, doesn't mean they weren't world class, it's just that they didn't have a team to support their qualities.

IIRC Best never played in World cup but he is easily among the GOATs. Sheva hardly played or did anything great in world cups and Euros, he was one of the best striker of last decade. Don't think Vidic had any impact in world cup and he was easily world class. There are so many players to list.
I would put the champions league above international as the standard is higher imo.

Shevchenko won a champions league medal and performed consistently at that level, as did Vidic. Both got to other finals too and could reasonably argue to be world class.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What you are looking for is "World class team" not "World class player".
World class players almost inevitably play for either world class club or International sides.

To be world class you must have won CL, Continental or International titles imo. That is what I class as world level.

Just playing being a top player the premier league doesn't make you world class imo.

There is a football level above that.

Granted everyone's definition of world class can be different so this is probably a rather futile argument.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I would put the champions league above international as the standard is higher imo.

Shevchenko won a champions league medal and performed consistently at that level, as did Vidic. Both got to other finals too and could reasonably argue to be world class.
Then Mata won everything there is to win except PL. So he should be world class player too? Silva never won CL, how can he be world class when he never performed well in CL? (CL>Internationals as you said), same for Ronaldo.

Looking at team trophies is all well and good but you have to see the context too. Players can win trophies if the team is good enough, single player cannot win the trophy. As good as Neuer is, he wouldn't have won trophies if he was playing for Schalke and other National team.

roonster09

Scout
World class players almost inevitably play for either world class club or International sides.

To be world class you must have won CL, Continental or International titles imo. That is what I class as world level.

Just playing being a top player the premier league doesn't make you world class imo.

There is a football level above that.

Granted everyone's definition of world class can be different so this is probably a rather futile argument.
Again you are taking team's achievements to rate players. We had too many squad players who played big parts in trophies.

For example Zico. Never won world cup, never won champions league and he is among the GOATs.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Man United: De Gea, Pogba, Sanchez & Lukaku.
Man City: Walker, KdB, Silva, Sterling & Aguero.
Liverpool: Van Dijk, Sane, Mane & Firmino.
Chelsea: Courtois, Azpilicueta, Kante & Hazard.
Tottenham: Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen & Kane.

Arsenal: None really.
At a stretch Özil & Aubameyang.

Renegade

I don’t believe there are any world class CB left in the premiership. I’m seeing Vertonghan and Toby being mentioned, no chance for me.

CITY - KDB,Silva,Aguero
UTD - De Gea,Sanchez,Pogba
LIVERPOOL - Salah,Firmino(at a stretch)
SPURS - Kane,Erickson(at a stretch)
CHELSEA - Hazard,Kante(at a stretch)
ARSENAL - Ozil (at a stretch)

ManuMou

Never won a European or International tournament. Only has 27 caps. Major trophies, one premier league and a Europa league.

Good premier league / contintental player but how can he be world class when he's never performed and won at the top European or World level?

Has the potential to be world class, but isn't yet imo.

I do consider Van de Sar and Schmeichel to have been world class. Both won multiple league titles, champions leagues, have 100+ caps and won at that level.
If DDG is not world class, then probably only Maradona Pele Messi Ronaldo etc etc are world class. You are probably right then.

ManuMou

Then Mata won everything there is to win except PL. So he should be world class player too? Silva never won CL, how can he be world class when he never performed well in CL? (CL>Internationals as you said), same for Ronaldo.

Looking at team trophies is all well and good but you have to see the context too. Players can win trophies if the team is good enough, single player cannot win the trophy. As good as Neuer is, he wouldn't have won trophies if he was playing for Schalke and other National team.
Save your energy. You are just wasting your time explaining to people like him.

Laurentiu amt

Obviously how you rate a player is highly subjective and there is no right or wrong answer. However I’ll stick my neck out and list my evaluation as follows:

Arsenal: Özil

Chelsea: Courtois, Hazard, Willian

Liverpool: van Dijk, Salah

Man City: Walker, De Bruyne, Sane, Aguero

Man Utd: De Gea, Pogba

Spurs: Vertonghen, Eriksen, Kane

Let’s go!
Arsenal: None. I don't consider Ozil WC, he plays well for a third of a season.

Chelsea: Azpilicueta, Hazard, Willian, Kante

Liverpool: Firmino, Salah, Van Dijk

City: KDB, Silva, Aguero, Fernandinho, Ederson (Sane is too inconsistent to be world class yet)

Spurs: Eriksen, Kane

Us: DeGea, Pogba, Alexis

A-man

What you are looking for is "World class team" not "World class player".
The point is, if he hasn't been tested at the top level, we do not know if he can perform at top level. We can guess and assume, but we haven't seen it. But looking at his performance in the domestic league, yes, he is a top player.

mancan92

The only world class player we have is de gear. Pogba cannot even be argued. It makes it even funnier when people say hazard isn't world class but pogba is. Hazard has atleast been world class in 2 of the last 4 seasons whereas pogba has never had a world class season.

roonster09

Scout
The point is, if he hasn't been tested at the top level, we do not know if he can perform at top level. We can guess and assume, but we haven't seen it. But looking at his performance in the domestic league, yes, he is a top player.
What is top level? Is PL not top level? All the big leagues like PL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A are top levels. If you are talking about Internationals then I disagree with it. It's a team that don't play as a team as they barely train with each other. Some national teams are sort of lucky as they will have so many players from 1 or 2 clubs and some national teams will have players scattered all over the world.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
GK - De Gea, Oblak, Alisson, Neuer, Buffon, Ter Stegen
RB - Carvajal, Azpilicueta
CB - Boateng, Ramos, Chiellini, Umtiti, Vertoghen, Alderweireld, Bonucci (Haven't watched him this season)
LB - Marcelo, Alaba, Luis, Sandro
DM - Busquets, Casemiro,Fernandino, Matic, Martinez,
CM - Kroos, Thiago, Modric, Koke,Nainggolan , Kante, Vidal, Keita, Verratti, Pjanic, Iniesta (Pogba) Think he needs more consistency but imo down to the manager
AM - Messi, Dybala, Coutinho, Silva, De Bruyne, Ericksen
RW - Salah, Mbappe
CF - Ronaldo, Suarez, Lewa, Aguero, Kane, Firmino,( Cavani, Higuain, Aubamayeng) By shear numbers of goals they produce even though they are very wasteful
and at times, very limited.
LW - Neymar, Alexis, Hazard, Ribery (Sane) I really think Sane is world class now.
World class means the top 5 or so players in their position but at a certain level. i.e Walker might be a top 5 level right back,
but I think he lacks something to truly be world class. Then there are players Who more or less operate at world class
level and are usually a different class when you watch them, even if they don't crack the top 5, e.g Ter Stegen or Nainggolan.
The highlighted are the PL players I choose based on my definition.

A-man

What is top level? Is PL not top level? All the big leagues like PL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A are top levels. If you are talking about Internationals then I disagree with it. It's a team that don't play as a team as they barely train with each other. Some national teams are sort of lucky as they will have so many players from 1 or 2 clubs and some national teams will have players scattered all over the world.
Sorry if I was unclear. With top level I meant The Big Games. Semis and finals in World cup, Euro and Champions League. It is of course a necessity that a player also is one of the best on his domestic league. Lots of top players like Ibrahimovic never got the opportunity to play those matches. If world class involves being great in those matches is of course debatable, but I personally think it should be one criteria.

roonster09

Scout
Sorry if I was unclear. With top level I meant The Big Games. Semis and finals in World cup, Euro and Champions League. It is of course a necessity that a player also is one of the best on his domestic league. Lots of top players like Ibrahimovic never got the opportunity to play those matches. If world class involves being great in those matches is of course debatable, but I personally think it should be one criteria.
Again it depends on his team too. You need a good team and good coach to reach semi finals and finals of big competitions.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Arsenal: Özil
Chelsea: Hazard
Liverpool: Salah
City: KDB, Ederson, D. Silva
United: DDG, Pogba
Spurs: Kane

I might be a little early on Ederson. But every time I’ve seen him, I’ve been really impressed. Don’t think there are better keepers out there except for Neuer, ter Stegen and DDG.

There are quite a few players in the league who are quite close but not there yet. Think the league will be really good in a few years.
I only really saw Ederson play when we played MCFC a few weeks back. And he was leaking goals at every opportunity.
It got to the point that when our attacker had a shot on target, it would go in. Absolutely atrocious goal keeping (and defending).

Glanville95

Arsenal: Ozil

Chelsea: Azpilicueta, Kante, Hazard

Liverpool: Salah

Man City: Walker, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero

Man United: De Gea, Sánchez

Tottenham: Alderweireld, Eriksen, Kane

Always get roped into these debates, despite the term ‘world class’ being such a silly, subjective and arbitrary term.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Seems alot of people are classing Van Dijk as world class are probably influenced by his price tag. Don't think you can call him World class yet considering the clubs he's played for.

Salah and Firminio would be the only 2 i'd consider world class at Liverpool.

Member 90678

Where we differ is that I think a world class player is someone that has done it at the top level for at least a few years not just 1 season.

There heve been plenty of players over the years that have had an unbelievable season but that does not make them world class as the following season they have gone back to being good players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacks

World Class is the most arbitrary term in football, so what's the point?

Is it the starting XI vs. Mars FC?
Is it the squad of 23?
the best 3 or 5 players in each position?
the best 30, 50, 100 players?
everyone who's just very, very good at football?
Would said player look out of place in a world XI team? most of the names listed would, thus are not world class in most peoples book. Some of these names listed would cause too much controversy in a wide football community. for example, who on earth would choose Willian in a WORLD FOOTBALLING 11? How could he be anywhere near your 1st choice RW position. He is not in the slightest bit competitive with the best in his position. Azpili is another, Courtois, Sane, Firmino. Most these prem players should never make a global list.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I only really saw Ederson play when we played MCFC a few weeks back. And he was leaking goals at every opportunity.
It got to the point that when our attacker had a shot on target, it would go in. Absolutely atrocious goal keeping (and defending).
I’ve seen City quite a bit and really liked him. Most of all his distribution. Incredible passer. Don’t think anyone‘s better with the ball at his feet than him. Maybe ter Stegen, but that’s about it. Completely understand if you don’t think he’s there yet. But I simply like him.

SambaBoy

Everyone's opinion of world class is different so hard to say really. For me, it's a player that would get into every team in the world and most likely a world XI, hence why I only think De Bruyne, De Gea and Kane would be up there.

Even then, you have 3 players who haven't really done it at international or CL level. All relatively young or play for clubs that don't dominate, especially in Europe. De Gea is the best keeper in the world, or even if you don't think so he's definitely on Neuer and Oblak's level. Same with De Bruyne and any CM out there and Kane is up there with Suarez & Lewa, they may have made more of an impact in WC or CL but they are both on the decline IMO despite the stats masking this. Aguero is up there as one of the best no9's but he has also lot a bit of sharpness over the last few years.

A-man

I have seen him a bit and I really like his way of playing. If you add more than just saves to the criteria, he has several good attributes. He is excellent with his feet and has good anticipation and reading of the game.

Would said player look out of place in a world XI team? most of the names listed would, thus are not world class in most peoples book. Some of these names listed would cause too much controversy in a wide football community. for example, who on earth would choose Willian in a WORLD FOOTBALLING 11? How could he be anywhere near your 1st choice RW position. He is not in the slightest bit competitive with the best in his position. Azpili is another, Courtois, Sane, Firmino. Most these prem players should never make a global list.
Very few players could be certain to be included in a world XI. Messi and Ronaldo, but probably no other. Can’t think of anyone in the EPL who could be 100%.

simplyared

Where we differ is that I think a world class player is someone that has done it at the top level for at least a few years not just 1 season.

There heve been plenty of players over the years that have had an unbelievable season but that does not make them world class as the following season they have gone back to being good players.
Interesting to hear which players you don't rate as world class because they've only performed at that level for one season. Names please!

Stacks

Are you sure? Pogba was definitely world class in 2014/15 and 2015/16 and was voted into the FIFA World XI alongside Modric and Iniesta something which the likes of KDB, Silva and the others have never achieved. He has definitely shown consistency just not in the PL so far. The last two years overall he hasn't shown the consistency but we already know he has World Class ability otherwise we would never have broken the transfer record to resign him.
The thing is that Pogba was similar to what he is at United currently. Its not like he was levels above. While at Juve I never saw the world class label justified whenever I saw him play. Was he ever better than Vidal or Pirlo, whom he was selected ahead of in the X1? i'd say no. Utd fans only refer to the world XI selection but can never say how he was actually better. its like using a subjective accolade rather than ones own vision.

I have seen him a bit and I really like his way of playing. If you add more than just saves to the criteria, he has several good attributes. He is excellent with his feet and has good anticipation and reading of the game.

Very few players could be certain to be included in a world XI. Messi and Ronaldo, but probably no other. Can’t think of anyone in the EPL who could be 100%.
it doesn't need to be 100% is my point. They just need to not stand out as a spare peg in that company. e.g. Dele Alli does not belong in any world 11 past or present. Neither does Matic. Kroos would be a comfortable fit. As would prime Pirlo, but then so could Xavi. They could all occupy a CM role and the world 11 side would not lose much because they are all in the upper tier of that position.

Traub

Only premier league players who would be in and around the squad of a world XI, and I would classify this as world class, are:
De Gea, Salah, Hazard, KdB and Aguero.

Eire Red United

Us- De Gea, Sanchez and Pogba when he wants to be.
City- Aguero, De Bruyne, Silva and formerly Kompany and Yaya.
Chelsea- Azpi and Hazard again when he wants to be.
Spurs- Kane with Eriksen a maybe. Liverpool- Salah(this season obviously, remains to be seen what he does next year).
Arsenal, Arguably Ozil but he’s too inconsistent for me.

blackdevil1606

I don't really have a strict definition of world class. For me, players that don't look out of place in World XI are world class :D

City: Silva, KdB, Aguero
United: DdG
Liverpool: Salah (currently)
Spurs: Kane
Chelsea: Hazard, Kante
Arsenal: ...

Sort of:
Sanchez, Matic, VVD, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Courtois
Ozil and Cech were world class imo, but currently not really

Skubah

Van Dijk is by no stretch of the imagination "World Class" whatsoever. Good player with a ridiculous price tag.

My world class selection would be:

United: De Gea, Sanchez and Pogba

Spurs: Eriksen, Kane and Toby

City: Aguero, Silva, Kdb ( Sterling and Sane have been exceptional this season but wouldn't class them as world class players yet. )

Liverpool: Salah and Firmino

Arsenal: Ozil and Aubameyang ( maybe not this season, didn't watch dortmund and Wenger has completely capitulated this season so its hard to judge. )

Chelsea: Hazard and Azpilcueta

Member 90678

Interesting to hear which players you don't rate as world class because they've only performed at that level for one season. Names please!
Straight off the top of my head,

Salah (Liverpool)
Andy Cole (Newcastle)
Pogba (Juventus)
Mahrez = unplayable for that 1 season
Ozil
Kante

All of those players at some point have turned in a world class season but never world class year after year like messi,ronaldo etc who are world class.
Shearer = world class year after year
Giggs = world class for years
Ddg = world class keeper for a few years

Iniesta, Xavi, Pirlo, Zidane the list can go on of players that did it at the top level year after year.