World Cup 2022

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yep fancy England massively. Won’t get robbed this time.

Castia

We’re shite when we play in these hot/humid countries. Wouldn’t expect much.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Cant wait.

Greenwood is the favourite to be the scapegoat.

sidsutton

First game is on 21/11/2022. The world cup final is on 18/12/2022.

I think we can all agree, it's definitely coming home.
Agreed. This was a Mickey Mouse tournament anyway. Completely ridiculous having so many host countries.

dove

It's 100% coming home now. The travelling squad will be 25 defenders and Kane.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Random bump, but is it me or is Argentina very underrated?

They have bottled it often granted, but it is very impressive that they have made so many finals over the past 12 years. Everyone counted them out vs Brazil for the final, which was considered Messi's last and final chance for a trophy with his country.

I think they are one of the favourites actually, the European countries really aren't all that great I think, I think Italy and Spain probably performed the best.

They have a really balanced side now,

With Emiliano Martinez a great tournament keeper and keeper in general,

Tagliafico and Acuna are very worthy left backs, Romero has been one of the best CB's this season and will only improve.

Otamendi, Senesi, Lisandro Martinez are very good cb's amongst other options (latter 2 play in the Eredivisie and I rate them quite highly, been linked to top clubs in Europe).

Montiel I don't really know much about.

Midfield options; Rodrigo de Paul, Leandro Paredes, Di Maria and Lo Celso ( the first 3 would make an awesome midfield, maybe overly offensive).

Up front ; (Messi, Lautaro Martinez, Papu Gomez, Aguero, Dybala, Correa amongst others), the first 3 would make one of the best front 3's and there is still quite some debt.

Does Messi have a serious chancs at also winning the World Cup, or at the very least, would it be right to be disappointed if he doesnt take them very far at least (depending on the draw)?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

They have bottled it often granted, but it is very impressive that they have made so many finals over the past 12 years. Everyone counted them out vs Brazil for the final, which was considered Messi's last and final chance for a trophy with his country.

I think they are one of the favourites actually, the European countries really aren't all that great I think, I think Italy and Spain probably performed the best.

Tagliafico and Acuna are very worthy left backs, Romero has been one of the best CB's this season and will only improve.

Otamendi, Senesi, Lisandro Martinez are very good cb's amongst other options (latter 2 play in the Eredivisie and I rate them quite highly, been linked to top clubs in Europe).

Midfield options; Rodrigo de Paul, Leandro Paredes, Di Maria and Lo Celso ( the first 3 would make an awesome midfield, maybe overly offensive).

Up front ; (Messi, Lautaro Martinez, Papu Gomez, Aguero, Dybala, Correa amongst others), the first 3 would make one of the best front 3's and there is still quite some debt.

Does Messi have a serious chancs at also winning the World Cup, or at the very least, would it be right to be disappointed if he doesnt take them very far at least (depending on the draw)?
germany wasn’t a bottle job, Argentina were missing di maria and Germany were the favorites in that final

Argentina still need to sort out some defensive issues and their attack needs to be a little more consistent. Can’t see them winning it all but as of right now their ceiling would be the semi final if the bracket goes their way

CallyRed

There's going to be four matches a day in the group stages rather than the typical three.
This I approve.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'd be surprised if one of Brazil, Argentina, England, France, Germany, Spain or Italy don't win it.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Interesting to see how Germany develop.

I imagine Flick is going to make them an imperious unit, they really should be far better than they have been.

AshRK

Looking forward to the next wc. After a long time there will be no clear cut favourites. Although, this whole November - December WC may be a bummer.

izec

Depends how it goes, they are not the top favourites as of right now to me, but in the bracket behind with a plethora of countries.

Germany and France are my favourites.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Schedule is very odd to me.

Thought leagues would start late July/early August just to get nearly half the season in. Instead international break in early September (to play two nations league games of course.:annoyed:). Then think they're playing through October but that's just to play all champions league group games so it's finished before late November.

Assumed they'd be two week break to prepare but currently a full round of fixtures are scheduled for weekend before world cup starts!

And then once it's all done premier league will start up again with the xmas fixture pile up so players in later stages of world cup who go through highs and lows of losing SF/final will be quickly pressed back into action unless clubs decide to give them a few weeks off.

Irwin99

Spain for me if they get their striker issue sorted- or maybe just play without a proper, recognised one.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Depends how it goes, they are not the top favourites as of right now to me, but in the bracket behind with a plethora of countries.

Germany and France are my favourites.
Germany with Flick will be very interesting, France is quite underwhelming I think but it will be very interesting overall.

JuriM

Wow it's an old thread but I didn't want to start a brand new World Cup thread really. If we want to move it then move it in the future.