World Cup Qualifiers + Friendlies | November 2017

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Good performances by Gomez and Solanke
I know you're a Liverpool fan but give over with Solanke.

I said as soon as he did that run when he'd just come on that he'd be dining out on that for the rest of his career.

He had one good run. Then failed to control a ball and didn't score and then did absolutely nothing else. There was nothing good about it. There wasn't anything bad about it either, he just...played for a short bit.

Gomez was very good though.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
My first 11 would probably be

------------------Pickford----------------
--------Gomez--Stones--Maguire--------
Walker----------------------------Bertrand
-----Alli----Dier---Loftus Cheek
----Kane---------Lallana
My changes in bold.

Oaencha

Got free tickets to both England games and was massively disappointed with both. I’ve been to 103 live matches in my life and these were my first 0-0s. The Germany game ranks up there with one of the worst I’ve ever seen. None of the German players look interested in attacking and the England team was just terrible. Brazil were marginally better but it was still a hideously boring match.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Germany vs France was such a snoozefest , pretty bad game technically and tactically to be honest , german midfield looked pretty weak .is Khedira still a starter for them? and what the heck is Gundogan doing in this team ? he played like 20 games in the last two years right..
I still still think Brazil Spain or Portugal will win the WC.
Portugal :lol::lol::lol::houllier::houllier:

Also, you might want to look up what a friendly match is supposed to be. To test players out and stuff. The only players from our regular 11 yesterday where Hummels, Khedira, Kroos, Özil and Werner. Rest was highly experimental.

LuenerLinguist

Werner has 10 caps for Germany. I wouldnt call him a regular starter, but maybe he`ll be in the future.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Also, you might want to look up what a friendly match is supposed to be. To test players out and stuff. The only players from our regular 11 yesterday where Hummels, Khedira, Kroos, Özil and Werner. Rest was highly experimental.
Come on man, one or two smilies I’d understand but 5? We’re not that bad

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We have good talents, but no truly great ones in my opinion.
Agree with you, some good players, not exceptional ones.
We're going to fall of a level where we've been consistently up there with the best nations in the World to the level of Belgium, Switzerland, Croatia, Poland, Sweden, Czech Republic, etc. where we're able to go far in tournaments from time to time but we're not able to do it consistently.
Maybe, but those countries mentioned are the ones we should compare.
Do you still lose your time with that one, he is, you know, the German, the superior one, everyone needs to do what they say, because they are the Germans.

Denis79

I have watched Sweden play all matches in this qualifiers and I disagree with you 100 %.

Let's compare:

Goals scored
Sweden: 26
Serbia: 20
Iceland: 16
Croatia: 15

If you remove goals scored against lowest ranked team you get the following:

Goals scored
Sweden: 17
Serbia: 14
Iceland: 12
Croatia: 8
Again with the goals scored... So you are trying to tell me that Sweden plays the most entertaining football of those teams? Sweden scored more goals than the French, they play more entertaining football than them?

United has scored more goals than Tottenham and Liverpool that must mean that we play a more expansive, free-flowing, offensive football than them. You've seen how we play vs the stronger teams, but I support United so I don't mind our type of football if it gets us the results. Same as you support Sweden.

I've only seen Sweden play against Italy and the last game against the Dutch and in all 3 of those games they played a type football I don't like and it reminds me of the anti football Greece plays, 10 men in the box using physicality to disrupt the opponents and then hoofing the ball towards a lone striker, thats how Greece plays vs more technical teams and thats how Sweden played in their last 3 games.

I have never said they're a poor team, just that I really dislike that type of football as a neutral, so did my mates when we watched the game. The tactics worked, congrats and good luck.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Although we have a good quality lot, is nowhere near Spain, France or Germany.
We won the Euro's by sheer luck and this generation is not even our best. And we don't have any decent center back besides Pepe (who is a veteran) showing up. So, Portugal will reach quartes, maximum.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think Portugal is at worst a three smiley rated team.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Although we have a good quality lot, is nowhere near Spain, France or Germany.
We won the Euro's by sheer luck and this generation is not even our best. And we don't have any decent center back besides Pepe (who is a veteran) showing up. So, Portugal will reach quartes, maximum.
Yup best chance possible is reaching last 8, but even that we will need someone like Pepe to be in good shape, without him no chance at all.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
It was more about the post in general to be honest. Putting Portugal among the top 3 favorites just added to it and was the most ridiculous thing. He pretty much excluded the two biggest bookies favorites and came up with Portugal :confused:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It was more about the post in general to be honest. Putting Portugal among the top 3 favorites just added to it and was the most ridiculous thing. He pretty much excluded the two biggest bookies favorites and came up with Portugal :confused:
Have you seen anybody here from Portugal saying we are amongst the 3 favourites? At best we will reach the last 8.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Yup best chance possible is reaching last 8, but even that we will need someone like Pepe to be in good shape, without him no chance at all.
It will depend on the draw, if we get Spain + another good team we'll probably be out in the group stage. But if we get some country like Peru, get first place and then an easy draw in the round of 16 we could even make the last 8 fairly comfortably which would be our third best World Cup result ever and a big success. The fact we're in pot 1 makes it a lot easier since the last 2 World Cups we've had Germany and Brazil in our group. We won't get the luck we got in Euro 2016 so we'll probably get knocked out by the first top team we face.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It will depend on the draw, if we get Spain + another good team we'll probably be out in the group stage.
Mentioned last 8 at best, no problems with Pepe, and our best 11 who played vs Switzerland without injuries, if not even reaching the last 16 will be a problem, not mentioned here, but even looking to some African teams, like Nigeria, Senegal or Morocco, they can cause serious upsets to anyone, so no, everything can happen, hopefully the manager selects those who are in better shape and not the ones who are more loyal to him.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Let's bring Fernando Couto back :D
We don't have nothing similar to Couto, Jorge Costa, Ricardo Carvalho or Jorge Andrade, total disgrace of centerbacks we have, Christ, yesterday watching Luis Neto or Ricardo Ferreira at a certain point I had to laugh, even Nelson Semedo at NT level is suspect for me.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Mentioned last 8 at best, no problems with Pepe, and our best 11 who played vs Switzerland without injuries, if not even reaching the last 16 will be a problem, not mentioned here, but even looking to some African teams, like Nigeria, Senegal or Morocco, they can cause serious upsets to anyone, so no, everything can happen, hopefully the manager selects those who are in better shape and not the ones who are more loyal to him.
Nigeria plays with John Ogu in the starting team. They don't seem to take this competition seriously.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
We don't have nothing similar to Couto, Jorge Costa, Ricardo Carvalho or Jorge Andrade, total disgrace of centerbacks we have, Christ, yesterday watching Luis Neto or Ricardo Ferreira at a certain point I had to laugh, even Nelson Semedo at NT level is suspect for me.
I'm not worried about the flanks, curiously. Semedo, Cédric, Ricardo Pereira, Raphael and Coentrão will deliver. And the u21 side defenders are quite good too.
We just urgently need two quality center-backs, but there are no miracles in football, players just don't show up at the middle of the season.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nigeria plays with John Ogu in the starting team. They don't seem to take this competition seriously.
Nigeria had a impressive run in the African qualifiers, with high scoring results, managed by a German and yesterday they beat Argentina 4:2 after starting to lose 2:0, Ilenacho, Iwobi and other type of players who can cause trouble in a good day to any team imo.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'm not worried about the flanks, curiously. Semedo, Cédric, Ricardo Pereira, Raphael and Coentrão will deliver. And the u21 side defenders are quite good too.
We just urgently need two quality center-backs, but there are no miracles in football, players just don't show up at the middle of the season.
For this WC forget it, at the current under 21's the only one who might turn a good player is Ruben Dias, Ferro forget it, then Paulo Oliveira, Ruben Semedo, Vezo, Ié, simply none of them is good enough compared with other top teams.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Imho a lot of African teams get overrated because people see a couple of players who are decent/good, but forget the other half of the team who are rubbish, so every WC one or two teams get hyped up and most of the time end up disappointing.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Imho a lot of African teams get overrated because people see a couple of players who are decent/good, but forget the other half of the team who are rubbish.
Last WC Germany got a 2:2 draw with Ghana and needed a extra time to beat Algeria, no one is saying they will win, but in a good day they can beat anyone.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Imho a lot of African teams get overrated because people see a couple of players who are decent/good, but forget the other half of the team who are rubbish.
That's why I mentioned John Ogu. He played in Portugal for several seasons and he was quite underwhelming. I remember him at Académica and he was really subpar! A decent destroyer though, but couldn't offer much more than that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Last WC Germany got a 2:2 draw with Ghana and needed a extra time to beat Algeria, no one is saying they will win, but in a good day they can beat anyone.
Ghana was our second group stage match, we always drop points there. ;)
Algeria was indeed impressive though.

I'm not trying to bash African teams, just trying to remind people that a team consists of 11 players and not just 3-5. Ivory Coast and Cameroon have been prime examples of this imho.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ghana was our second group stage match, we always drop points there. ;)
Algeria was indeed impressive though.
I believe Nigeria, Senegal or Morocco will cause some troubles to European and South American teams, just my guess, not winning the competition of course.

Schneckerl

Sure not all 5 teams will lose every game, but CAF's overall record in the last two WCs was extremely bad.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Sure not all 5 teams will lose every game, but CAF's overall record in the last two WCs was extremely bad.
It was pretty good in 2014. Ghana got a terrible group but still did pretty well, Algeria and Nigeria got through their groups but had to face France and Germany in the round of 16 and Ivory Coast was 1 minute away from going through their group. Only Cameroon were pretty poor.

el3mel

Yeah and what's CAF's overall record as in points per game?
If that's not extremely bad I don't knop what is.
That depends on your expectations for them, what're you expecting to find the actual results disappointing ?

Schneckerl

That depends on your expectations for them, what're you expecting to find the actual results disappointing ?
After the Nigeria/Cameroon team in the 90s progress onwards closing the gap to SA/Europe, but results didn't seem to get any better - on the contrary.

That said AFC doesn't look any better.

el3mel

Progress from the 1990s onwards, but results didn't seem to get any better - on the contrary.
If 2 of them passed their group, or in case of Ghana could reach QF, that's very good for me. Not all the 5 teams are supposed to be world beaters.

I'll be looking forward to see what Nigeria and Senegal will do in the next WC, as these are the best African teams currently.

NYAS

I personally think Senegal look extremely good for an African team honestly. They play with tremendous control and domination and it’s no surprise when you look at the players they have.

Zelex

Just to inform you John Ogu is not a starter for Nigeria. Onazi starts ahead of him and also Mikel Agu is in front of him (you may have heard of him, Porto player on loan to Bursapor, Turkey). In fact against Argentina we (Nigeria) had 5 starters missing.

Reactions: Varun