World Cup Qualifiers | October 2017 | Play off draw on Tuesday

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How many Euro teams qualify in total? Do any 2nd place teams advance automatically? Just looking at the groups and there's 9 groups so that leaves 9 automatic plus 9 runners-up?
8 second placed teams go to playoffs and the worst second placed team is eliminated, in this case it was Slovakia.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
How many Euro teams qualify in total? Do any 2nd place teams advance automatically? Just looking at the groups and there's 9 groups so that leaves 9 automatic plus 9 runners-up?
13, 9 + 8/2 one runner-up misses out on playoffs.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Only sweden would be tough. Without cacic, against ireland , n.ireland or greece we are level above. With all respect to them but lets be realistic.
Yeah, you're right, we would be favorites. I'm just a little bit fed up with the whole situation as Ban said.

Although, we shouldn't disregard the fact we're worst when we go into the match as favorites and I still think that Greece matchup would be both difficult and painful to watch.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
8 second placed teams go to playoffs and the worst second placed team is eliminated, in this case it was Slovakia.
Not confirmed yet. Could still be Bosnia although that would require a major feck up by Greece tomorrow.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah, you're right, we would be favorites. I'm just a little bit fed up with the whole situation as Ban said.

Although, we shouldn't disregard the fact we're worst when we go into the match as favorites and I still think that Greece matchup would be both difficult and painful to watch.
Today , for the first time in last 2 years i saw our players playing like a team, with passion. It makes me happy. Cacic is out, it also makes me happy.
Mamic and suker will go soon , i hope.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Not confirmed yet. Could still be Bosnia although that would require a major feck up by Greece tomorrow.
Only if Bosnia wins in Estonia and Greece doesn't beat Gibraltar? I think Greece result doesn't count tomorrow because the results vs the worst team of the group don't count.

Ok, I checked later it would be needed a Greek draw vs Gibraltar and a Bosnia win in Estonia and Bosnia would qualify on goal difference, anyway it won't happen, Gibraltar and San Marino are by far the worst teams in Europe.

Last edited:

Samid

Only if Bosnia wins in Estonia and Greece doesn't beat Gibraltar? I think Greece result doesn't count tomorrow because the results vs the worst team of the group don't count.
The Greece result tomorrow won't count in the ranking of second-placed teams but they still have to make sure they win the game and finish ahead of Bosnia in their own group. If Bosnia finish second then they will be the worst second-placed team and Slovakia will be in the play offs. But as mentioned, it would take something quite extreme, even by Greek standards, for them to mess up vs Gibraltar.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The Greece result tomorrow won't count in the ranking of second-placed teams but they still have to make sure they win the game and finish ahead of Bosnia in their own group. If Bosnia finish second then they will be the worst second-placed team and Slovakia will be in the play offs. But as mentioned, it would take something quite extreme, even by Greek standards, for them to mess up vs Gibraltar.
Check my correction 1 or 2 posts before, it would be needed a Greek draw vs Gibraltar, it won't happen mate, it is more easy to see monkeys and pigs flying than Gibraltar don't losing believe me :lol:

diarm

I'll start off by admitting that I am very drunk so bear with me for the rambling!

We all gave O'Neill and this side a lot of shit this year. After getting into a great position over the first half of the group, we've had a shit 2017 and some of the tactics and performances, particularly away from home have been shite.

Only last week I was giving him dogs abuse about getting a new contract after the Georgia performance and how it looked as though it had cost us the group.

But his tactics were perfect today. Surrender possession, play with commitment, aggression and defend brilliantly - frustrate them for an hour and then nick a goal and see it out.

We can give out about defensive football all day but we're a small footballing country and there's nothing wrong with pragmatism when it gets results. I was born in 1986 and our record in qualifying campaigns since then is bloody superb!

1988 we topped a group including Bulgaria, Belgium and Scotland.
1990 we qualified automatically from a group including Spain, Hungary and Northern Ireland (finished 1 point behind Spain).
1992 we missed out on qualification by 1 point, finishing second to England in a group including them, Poland and Turkey.
1994 we qualified automatically from a group including Spain, Denmark and Northern Ireland (finished 1 point behind Spain again).
1996 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Portugal in a group including them, Northern Ireland and Austria. We lost in the playoff to Holland.
1998 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Romania in a group including them, Lithuania and Iceland. We lost in the playoff to Belgium.
2000 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Yugoslavia (last minute goal to Macedonia in the last game cost us 1st) in a group including Croatia. Lost the playoff to Turkey
2002 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd on goal difference to Portugal in a group including them, Holland and Estonia. We beat Iran in the playoff to qualify.
2004 we finished 3rd in a group containing Switzerland and Russia. We lost 2-0 to Switzerland in Basel in a winner takes all final match of the group.
2006 we finished 4th in a group containing France, Switzerland and Israel. In a tight group we only finished 3 points behind group winners France.
2008 we finished 3rd in a group containing Czech Republic, Germany, Slovakia and Wales.
2010 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Italy in a group including them and Bulgaria. Lost the playoff to France because of Henry the prick and his dirty fecking hand.
2012 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd by 2 points to Russia in a group including them, Armenia and Slovakia. We beat Estonia in the playoff to qualify.
2014 we finished 4th in a group containing Germany, Sweden and Austria.
2016 we qualified for playoff in a group containing Germany, Poland and Scotland. We beat Bosnia & Herzegovina in the playoff to qualify.

Then this year we qualify for a playoff, finishing 2nd in a group containing Serbia, Wales and Austria.

We're not the most exciting team in the world to watch - never have been and never will be. But feck it we punch above our weight and we're in contention at the business end of qualifying campaigns far more often than we would be playing naive but pretty football.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Sorry for whoever faces us Greece in the playoffs :P We drew against belgium there while playing with 10 men, and we lost against them here but we shouldn't have since we dominated the game and you know Lukaku... I'm hopeful we will go through no matter who we face in the playoffs since i trust in our defence, Sokratis-Manolas are probably the best CB duo in all of national teams, i know im biased but i believe that :P

onemanarmy

Sorry for whoever faces us Greece in the playoffs :P We drew against belgium there while playing with 10 men, and we lost against them here but we shouldn't have since we dominated the game and you know Lukaku... I'm hopeful we will go through no matter who we face in the playoffs since i trust in our defence, Sokratis-Manolas are probably the best CB duo in all of national teams, i know im biased but i believe that :P
Vertonghen - Alderweireld, Bonucci - Chiellini and Ramos - Piqué say hello.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Or go out in the group stage:D

Kidding aside, I would love to see Darmian win the world cup.

Some story that would be.
So what you're saying is you're a God and you've seen the future and we're gonna win the world cup?! :drool::drool::drool:

Samid

Australia-Syria into extra time with Syria a man down. Do away goals count extra here?

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Australia-Syria into extra time with Syria a man down. Do away goals count extra here?
FIFA rules apply globally.

Edit: If you mean do away goals count in ET, then yes they do.

diarm

That came from that poxy fecking substitute ref blocking a decent Syria pass down the other end. :(

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I'll start off by admitting that I am very drunk so bear with me for the rambling!

We all gave O'Neill and this side a lot of shit this year. After getting into a great position over the first half of the group, we've had a shit 2017 and some of the tactics and performances, particularly away from home have been shite.

Only last week I was giving him dogs abuse about getting a new contract after the Georgia performance and how it looked as though it had cost us the group.

But his tactics were perfect today. Surrender possession, play with commitment, aggression and defend brilliantly - frustrate them for an hour and then nick a goal and see it out.

We can give out about defensive football all day but we're a small footballing country and there's nothing wrong with pragmatism when it gets results. I was born in 1986 and our record in qualifying campaigns since then is bloody superb!

1988 we topped a group including Bulgaria, Belgium and Scotland.
1990 we qualified automatically from a group including Spain, Hungary and Northern Ireland (finished 1 point behind Spain).
1992 we missed out on qualification by 1 point, finishing second to England in a group including them, Poland and Turkey.
1994 we qualified automatically from a group including Spain, Denmark and Northern Ireland (finished 1 point behind Spain again).
1996 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Portugal in a group including them, Northern Ireland and Austria. We lost in the playoff to Holland.
1998 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Romania in a group including them, Lithuania and Iceland. We lost in the playoff to Belgium.
2000 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Yugoslavia (last minute goal to Macedonia in the last game cost us 1st) in a group including Croatia. Lost the playoff to Turkey
2002 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd on goal difference to Portugal in a group including them, Holland and Estonia. We beat Iran in the playoff to qualify.
2004 we finished 3rd in a group containing Switzerland and Russia. We lost 2-0 to Switzerland in Basel in a winner takes all final match of the group.
2006 we finished 4th in a group containing France, Switzerland and Israel. In a tight group we only finished 3 points behind group winners France.
2008 we finished 3rd in a group containing Czech Republic, Germany, Slovakia and Wales.
2010 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Italy in a group including them and Bulgaria. Lost the playoff to France because of Henry the prick and his dirty fecking hand.
2012 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd by 2 points to Russia in a group including them, Armenia and Slovakia. We beat Estonia in the playoff to qualify.
2014 we finished 4th in a group containing Germany, Sweden and Austria.
2016 we qualified for playoff in a group containing Germany, Poland and Scotland. We beat Bosnia & Herzegovina in the playoff to qualify.

Then this year we qualify for a playoff, finishing 2nd in a group containing Serbia, Wales and Austria.

We're not the most exciting team in the world to watch - never have been and never will be. But feck it we punch above our weight and we're in contention at the business end of qualifying campaigns far more often than we would be playing naive but pretty football.
No spelling mistakes, masses of detail, lengthy post.... I couldn't type that sober.

Alabaster Codify7

Congrats to Ireland, took their chance when it mattered.

I don't mean to sound bitter, but it's a frustrating campaign during which Wales didn't do ourselves justice. I genuinely believe we are a better football team than Ireland and no worse than Serbia.

That batch of draws really 'ucked us but to be fair, Ireland and Serbia took their opportunities better so good luck to them.

Baby Groot

I guess, it was enough shock for FIFA with Iceland to qualify, so they did their best to ensure Syria wouldnt get there.