World's oldest dog turns 31

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Pretty amazing, as I thought most dogs only lived to about 12-15 max. If a dog can live this long, then in the right conditions, one would imagine humans should be able to live much longer as well.

Member 125398

There's every chance the real dog has been run over several times and replaced with similar looking, younger dogs.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Give this dog to science so we can make all dogs live into their 30s
One of the articles says the owner attributes the longevity to a low stress life where he could roam around the forrest leashless for most of his life. Low stress has to account for a fair bit of it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
One of the articles says the owner attributes the longevity to a low stress life where he could roam around the forrest leashless for most of his life. Low stress has to account for a fair bit of it.
Gonna start telling my dog "don't worry about it" more often

Member 125398

He's been bloody lucky if that's the case as there's caterpillars that are lethal to dogs in those forests every spring.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Damn, he's been a good boy since the Bush senior administration. He's seen some shit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Meh. Sounds like another typical case of a jailhouse pet being given a preternaturally long lifespan via the supernatural healing powers of a physically imposing but mild-mannered death row inmate since executed for the brutal crimes he didn't commit. If I've seen it once I've seen it a thousand times.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
If a dog can live this long, then in the right conditions, one would imagine humans should be able to live much longer as well.
I saw a presentation on the topic of human longevity not that long ago. The conclusion was the with the current medicine available, even if we forced every living human to live the optimal life for longevity, the average life expectancy wouldn't be much higher than 90 years. Once you reach that age it's pure genetic luck going forward. And for more than 90% of people, living long past 90 years is simply impossible.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I saw a presentation on the topic of human longevity not that long ago. The conclusion was the with the current medicine available, even if we forced every living human being to live the optimal life for longevity, the average life expectancy wouldn't be much higher than 90 years. Once you reach that age it's pure genetic luck going forward. And for more than 90% living long past 90 years old is simply impossible.
Interesting. I just read David Sinclair's book "Lifespan", where he talks about ageing itself being a disease that can be mitigated (but obviously never defeated) to where humans should be able to live much longer. His basic premise is that ageing is the loss of epigenetic information due to entropy, which can be significantly modulated through diet/lifestyle/stress reduction. He believes the first human who will live to 150 is already alive today.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2023/01/has-first-person-to-live-to-be-150-been-born/

Red_Aaron

My dog is 17 which for a short nosed breed is pretty good going

I am completely papranoid about her now though despite her being in good shape.

Wish she'd live forever

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My dog is 17 which for a short nosed breed is pretty good going

I am completely papranoid about her now though despite her being in good shape.

Wish she'd live forever
17 is impressive. What kind of food do you feed her ? Standard dog food or something else ?

Red_Aaron

She's had pedigree chum pretty much her whole life. We switched her back to the puppy variety a few years back as I read it contained extra vitamins that are also good for old age - moreso than the senior labeled stuff and she puts that away no bother

We had a period 10 years or so ago where we tried her on some fancy super organic stuff made at a local factory but it didn't agree with her.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
She's had pedigree chum pretty much her whole life. We switched her back to the puppy variety a few years back as I read it contained extra vitamins that are also good for old age - moreso than the senior labeled stuff and she puts that away no bother

We had a period 10 years or so ago where we tried her on some fancy super organic stuff made at a local factory but it didn't agree with her.
Interesting. My experience has been primarily with Labs, several of which developed forms of cancer once they hit double digits. I always suspected it was something related to the processed nature of dog food (as opposed to dog owners who actually cook real food for their dogs), and wondered if modulating their diet with healthier choices may significantly prolong their lives, just as it would if humans at healthy instead of fast food etc.

We need an rvn

Sorry, lovely story and a nice looking dog but I’m not buying this for one second. Average age for a dog is 9-13 based on bread. You’re very lucky if you get above 15, as is the case with @Red_Aaron and 17. But 31 nope

That’s more than 2.5x the average age so in the case of a sea tortoise that would mean nearly 400 years or elephants living instead of up to 60 until 120-150

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sorry, lovely story and a nice looking dog but I’m not buying this for one second. Average age for a dog is 9-13 based on bread. You’re very lucky if you get above 15, as is the case with @Red_Aaron and 17. But 31 nope

That’s more than 2.5x the average age so in the case of a sea tortoise that would mean nearly 400 years or elephants living instead of up to 60 until 120-150
What type of bread does your dog like most?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I have two Belgian Malinois mixed breeds who turned 13 (brothers) this past December and still going super strong. They get lots of walks, regular vet check-ups, take meds and joint supps, no stressful living environment (except me on the road for work frequently) and showing no signs of letting up. Only worry is Jake having some arthritis in his back legs and Jimmy having kidney problems for which he takes meds. Vets seem to think these boys have a great shot at 20 years.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I saw a presentation on the topic of human longevity not that long ago. The conclusion was the with the current medicine available, even if we forced every living human to live the optimal life for longevity, the average life expectancy wouldn't be much higher than 90 years. Once you reach that age it's pure genetic luck going forward. And for more than 90% of people, living long past 90 years is simply impossible.
Interesting. I just read David Sinclair's book "Lifespan", where he talks about ageing itself being a disease that can be mitigated (but obviously never defeated) to where humans should be able to live much longer. His basic premise is that ageing is the loss of epigenetic information due to entropy, which can be significantly modulated through diet/lifestyle/stress reduction. He believes the first human who will live to 150 is already alive today.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2023/01/has-first-person-to-live-to-be-150-been-born/
Your quality of life will have fallen off a cliff by the time you’re 90 anyway. Can’t see the appeal of living another 50-60 years. The most important thing to focus on is healthy aging, not obsessing about breaking longevity records (which is something I notice a lot of American longevity experts seem to get caught up in)

Coincidentally I just finished listening to an excellent podcast on healthy aging, featuring an Irish prof who is running one of the most comprehensive longitudinal studies of aging that’s going on anywhere in the world. Full of useful, practical advice. Would recommend. Hosted by Gabby Logan, of all people.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Your quality of life will have fallen off a cliff by the time you’re 90 anyway. Can’t see the appeal of living another 50-60 years. The most important thing to focus on is healthy aging, not obsessing about breaking longevity records (which is something I notice a lot of American longevity experts seem to get caught up in)

Coincidentally I just finished listening to an excellent podcast on healthy aging, featuring an Irish prof who is running one of the most comprehensive longitudinal studies of aging that’s going on anywhere in the world. Full of useful, practical advice. Would recommend. Hosted by Gabby Logan, of all people.
Well my Dad would argue about that, he's not 90 yet but he's in pretty good shape at 86, he doesn't need assistance to get around or do anything, has better eyesight than I do, only thing wrong is his hearing and that has as much to do with his military service as age (he gets a Navy pension because of it)

Genes have a lot to do with it I reckon, I've been doing my family tree and particularly on my maternal side there are folks (mostly female) who have lived well beyond the average for their time, my grandmother reached 100, her mother, who was born in 1890 reached 93 and I've found a number of others in the 1800's that reached 90-100, surprisingly for the times the infant mortality rate is well below what you'd expect and given the number of kids they had in those days I have a lot of relatives!!

Back to dogs, our mini schnauzer reached 19 until she was put down earlier this year, she was a rescue from a puppy farm and was in terrible shape when we got her - my biggest regret is I didn't get 5 mins with her original owner

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have seen it a few months ago and still wonder how they know which is the oldest dog?

Revan

Assumptionman

Sinclair actually claims that we can live in a very good health on extremely old ages. While he never explicitly mentions immortality, he does not see death (from old age) as inevitable.

Btw, this guy is not a charlatan. He has been professor at Harvard for 2 decades and has a three-digit h-index, which makes him one of the biggest authorities in the field. The fecker (and his wife) also look to be on their thirties while they are over 50.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sinclair actually claims that we can live in a very good health on extremely old ages. While he never explicitly mentions immortality, he does not see death (from old age) as inevitable.

Btw, this guy is not a charlatan. He has been professor at Harvard for 2 decades and has a three-digit h-index, which makes him one of the biggest authorities in the field. The fecker (and his wife) also look to be on their thirties while they are over 50.
You’re sure making him sound like one!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well my Dad would argue about that, he's not 90 yet but he's in pretty good shape at 86, he doesn't need assistance to get around or do anything, has better eyesight than I do, only thing wrong is his hearing and that has as much to do with his military service as age (he gets a Navy pension because of it)

Genes have a lot to do with it I reckon, I've been doing my family tree and particularly on my maternal side there are folks (mostly female) who have lived well beyond the average for their time, my grandmother reached 100, her mother, who was born in 1890 reached 93 and I've found a number of others in the 1800's that reached 90-100, surprisingly for the times the infant mortality rate is well below what you'd expect and given the number of kids they had in those days I have a lot of relatives!!

Back to dogs, our mini schnauzer reached 19 until she was put down earlier this year, she was a rescue from a puppy farm and was in terrible shape when we got her - my biggest regret is I didn't get 5 mins with her original owner
I think the name of the game for humans is to add another 10-15 years of quality life at the end, which if one is afflicted with diseases is obviously not going to happen, so there is something to be said for lifestyle choices at younger ages before the confluence of age and disease has a chance to become a factor.