Worst club football match

Jaybomb

6-1 to City
4-0 to MK Dons
That Wolfsburg game where LVG stuck Nick Powell on for some reason.
Nearly every Moyes loss. The 3-0 to Liverpool springs to mind.

Those are the ones that stick in my mind.

AdnanRED

That late Robben goal vs us in the CL when we were 3-0 up and rafael got a red really annoyed me as well as Leverkusen with that annoying faced Neuville and Portos last min goal vs us.

On an international level Dzekos 1metre onside goal vs Nigeria that was dissalowed and England vs Portugal when the whole Rooney and Ronaldo saga happened and England lost on pens.

Cloud7

The Madrid match with the Nani red card still gets me to this day. We had the away goal advantage, we had the lead at home. Fergie had his tactics all laid out perfectly with Welbeck handling Alonso etc, we were definitely looking the favorites to go through, and then that happened.

With how Van Persie was playing that season, Carrick being absolutely imperious and finally have a functional Rafael all of that season, who knows what we may have been able to achieve in Europe. It would have been an amazing last hurrah for the old King. It hurts that that was taken away from him because of a ridiculous refereeing decision.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There are different kind of "worst" games.
  • Not really the worst, but so incredibly disappointing - 3:2 against Bayern and what was it, 1:2 against Madrid? With Nani's red card
  • Moyes' Fulham, Olympiakos and Liverpool

Mickfoley

2 legs against Bilbao. It truly showed the gulf in technical ability between Spanish and English football.

Miscemayl

6-1 to City... Made even worse by the fact we lost the title on goal difference.

Red Star One

First Barcelona CL final. I was absolutely destroyed both during the match and after it. Such a massive game.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Barring the two obvious matches in 2014, I could name many in the last days of Rafa and the beginning of Hodgson times.. but Hodgson dear god..where do I start there was United Berbatov Hatrick, Wolves, Northampton, Blackpool, Everton (last win against us), Newcastle, Stoke, and his final game Blackburn. Just by wikipedia his record I remember watching each of those games now and feeling awful after them, it was embarrassing all them games before January so you knew the season was a write off.

Rodgers first PL game at West Brom 3-0, set the tone for another mediocre season. Stoke 6-1 on final day 2015, and our CL games with Basel, they were terrible games.

Giggs86

That Bayern match. Absolutely battering them three to nothing and having a foot and a half in the semis just to get everything turned upside down by a complete shit-show.

Cloud7

That Bayern match. Absolutely battering them three to nothing and having a foot and a half in the semis just to get everything turned upside down by a complete shit-show.
We could have had another CL that season too. While it did seem like it was destined to be Jose and Inter's year, I still would have liked our chances against them in the final.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
As a Porto fan I'd reckon the game against Bayern stands close, at least it's the last time I remember feeling saddened and disturbed around the unfolding of events in a game. It was so extreme that despite me not being drunk, I ended up posting pictures of my girlfriend on the match thread, something I would never do with a sane mind. The positive of that was that I learned in the same night that she did read redcafe without my knowledge, as I had to wake up at 3am and ask Raoul, the only mod online, to delete the posts where her pictures had been quoted. Better to have found out that way, than after posting more compromising stuff.

Porto has been rather weak recently, and winning 3-1 against Bayern was an amazing boost of confidence at the time. We were playing well and they had loads of injuries, so there was a lot of hope in that game.

It may sound weird that being the one, but I guess I've been lucky as a fan to never really have had any dreadful unexpected losses. Most of Porto important losses in Europe were either against favourite opponents and expected. We never lost an European final since 1984 (5 finals, 4 wins in total), we never lost a title-deciding match on the last minute, etc... On the contrary, I had some good last minute upsets in our favour.
What on earth compelled you to do that. How does losing a football match make you start posting pictures of your gf :lol::lol:

U99ted

4-0 v MK Dons. Complete abomination from those who wore the shirt, young or not.

Claude Makélélé

That Chelsea 1-1 Barcelona match luckily I missed it as I was on a trip. The next day I went to class and saw a friend of mind - a Chelsea fan too - with a mad head and red face on his shoulder. Completely I knew what had happened :lol:

A Chelsea match in which I have the worse feeling is 3-1 vs Sunderland. Yes, Chelsea won that match. We played so well and won it convincingly. Just 2 days after Mourinho was sacked. FFS, so much bitterness in a victory.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It was my birthday when City beat us 3-0 at home under Moyes. Probably contributed a little extra to the state I ended up in that night.

Most defeats under him were numbing rather than anything. Hearing x club hasn't won at Old Trafford/beaten us in the league since 1960/70something and then losing 1-0 to what seemed like the same goal over and over again just utterly sucked the life out of me as a United fan.

Under SAF really it was the 6-1, the Real/Nani-red game and oddly specific but I remember going to the Lille home match in the group stages in 2005-06 and it being the dullest 0-0 I've ever witnessed. Being there with hardly any attacking play from either side, no atmosphere whatsoever and it also being fecking freezing wasn't one of my favourite experiences that's for sure.

Honourable mention for the 5-0 at St. James' Park purely because I remember my dad (a Liverpool fan) loudly celebrating every time they scored and I cried each time. I hate Philippe Albert and his stupid fecking moustache to this day. Cnut.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
In the last 10 ten years, the CL final against Barca in '11. That was the most clueless I have seen a Manchester United look on a football field. The enormity of the occasion made it even worse. We simply couldn't get the ball off them and were pretty badly embarrassed. It was like a professional team against a team of amateurs. It's my most painful Manchester United football memory along with the last minute Aguero goal against QPR.

manutd7

The 6-1 City defeat and Nani red card stick out in my mind, both left me upset for a few days. Looking back I was very spoiled throughout the SAF years. A lot of the Moyes/LvG games have sorta blended together as mainly poor performances so I don't really count the the numerous bad displays over last few seasons, none really stick out. Looking at that Fulham game, I can not believe I actually watched that whole game

Rafateria

Whilst I was quite young and don't remember the match at the time any more, the much later subsequent admission that the referee was bribed and that lead to our 1965 semi-final EC defeat by Inter (including a 'goal' where the ball was not even close to over the line) in a match we dominated and should have made the final, still irks.

Ditto our loss to Milan in the final when we were much the better team (although we got away with Istanbul of course) and if Rafa had started Crouch we'd more than likely have won it comfortably as they couldn't handle him when he came on.
Any match we lose to United.

youngrell

Agree with those saying the Olympiakos game under Moyes. Sickening performance from the team. I was infuriated.

montpelier

1 - Brighton 0-0 Coventry - August 2002 (tickets were free, a disallowed goal that was ironically cheered & Gary McAllister was playing)

2 - Aston Villa 0-0 Everton - September 1985, 1 single GK save in the whole game, a brief flurry of corners down the other end, a million Everton offsides & a shame half time wasn't a lot longer. We stayed to the bitter end so we didn't miss anything. We didn't.

What about Zalaegerszeg vs. Utd - know this was the day after (1) above as it happens, cos i was close to packing up on watching football. It was utterly pathetically shit & Utd lost to a very late goal.

honourable mention to this dismal shambles which has just appeared on Youtube, that I went to - have a look at the chance Frank Stapleton misses, :eek: at 24 secs. We started that season 10 wins too, playing brilliant, goals galore.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
6-1 City - awful.

City-QPR - worse.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
What on earth compelled you to do that. How does losing a football match make you start posting pictures of your gf :lol::lol:
People were writing stuff like "poor Arruda", "Arruda must be devastated", etc and I decided to answer with "don't feel sorry for me guys, I have a hot girlfriend". I was then challenged to prove it.

Jacko21

There are lots of results that have hurt, but I can't remember being quite as disgusted with United (and indeed Ferguson) than when we lost 0-1 to CFR Cluj at Old Trafford in the Champions League group stage in December 2012.

One of the most pathetic performances I've ever seen from a Ferguson side. And it was bloody freezing too.

Doevle

The loss against City at Old Trafford at the 50 year anniversary of the Munich disaster.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The worst game to watch that I've seen live in the last few years was actually at OT, not long after Moyes was sacked. United 0-1 Sunderland. I think part of it was that I actually went along there happy about sacking Moyes, curious about seeing a Giggs side and hoping to see the spark of a new start. We were dire, Sunderland were desperate for a result, their fans were incomprehensible but noisy (and I wasn't far enough away to ignore them) and it was just a bad day all round.

But objectively it's probably nothing like the worst game I've seen. If the match was on TV it would probably have just drifted away into moving wallpaper. Most bad games, even ones I've attended, I forget about. I've watched United get relegated, there were some terrible matches there, but the actual matches (except for a 0-1 defeat to Spurs towards the end of the season, when I thought we should have won and realised that we really could be going down) faded away soon after, it's just the results that I remember.

pacifictheme

That Nani red card match, the way Sir Alex looked after the match, it felt like he thought that was his last chance and turned out it was.
I said to my brother i thought he would retire at the end of the season. His reaction was unusual for him.

We now know he'd already made his mind up to leave.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Whilst I was quite young and don't remember the match at the time any more, the much later subsequent admission that the referee was bribed and that lead to our 1965 semi-final EC defeat by Inter (including a 'goal' where the ball was not even close to over the line) in a match we dominated and should have made the final, still irks.
Aye, the Italians were notorious for that at the time. Is it the second goal that was contentious? Not sure what the rules were at the time, but it's hard to understand why goalkeepers bounced the ball, if I remember rightly was there was a six steps carrying the ball rule or something?

At least Liverpool went on to get their European success later down the line. I feel sorry for Dundee United who apparently were shafted by Roma and the referee in the 1984 semi-final. That was really their one shot at the big one and it's never going to happen again.

On that note, Tapie's Marseille bribing everyone in the early 1990s, and in particular that 6-0 win over Moscow, costing Rangers a spot in the CL final. They were good enough to be winning European trophies without any help.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Champions League semi final second leg vs Inter in 2010 and the semi final 2nd leg vs Chelsea in 2012. Two massive opportunities to make back to back Champions League finals blown because we weren't good enough. A massive shame because i think we were capable of winning back to back Champions League titles under Pep Guardiola.

lysglimt

Scout
The ones that stand out for me - apart from the ones that have already been mentioned

There was one match in the late 70s (i didnt watch it) but I have seen clips afterwards where we lost 6-0 to Ipswich and I even think they missed a few penalties.
Barcelona - United 4-0 (1994 I think?) We dropped Bruce because of the foreignersrule and Parker was torn to shreds
Newcastle - United 5-0 - think this was in 1996. We were bullied the entire game
Chelsea - United 5-0 in 1999/2000. 4 months after winning the C.L. Goal against after 28 seconds and Butt sent off after 22 minutes. Not a fun game to watch

However - at least in these matches we lost to good sides...in the ones below however

United - QPR 1-4 in 1992 - I think we were 2-0 down after 6-7 minutes and the scoreline even flattered us
Spurs - United 4-1 the Prunier game...my GOD how poor we were (and this was not a good Spurs-side)

Unmutual

Losing 2-0 away to Liverpool in 92 remains a painful one. I started the month thinking that Labour would win the general election and United would win the league. Then Labour lost in one of the biggest election shocks in history, and United choked in the league, losing 3 on the spin, culminating in a humiliating 2-0 defeat away to Anfield that handed the title to Leeds. Scousers gloating, Leeds fans gloating, Tories gloating. Feck that shit.

Robertd0803

The loss at Upton Park last season still enrages me.

Not counting anything under Moyes as too many to mention.

6-1 v City, and then the week with 4-4 v Everton, 1-0 Wigan, and 1-0 City. 8 points and the title lost in the space of 7 days. Made the final day even harder to accept when it looked like we were after somehow winning the league despite that. Nightmare. Add the 1-0 vs Sunderland to that.

2-1 loss to Chelsea at OT in 2010 with Drogbas offside goal. Cost us the league.
2005 Fa Cup Final and 2009 CL Final. The second one being the only game Ive ever cried over.
1-1 Draw with West Ham in 95,Porto at home in 2003 I struggled with for a long time (until we knocked them out in 2009).5-0 to Newcastle. 3-2 win vs Bayern (bastard away goals).

Could keep going with this but now going to watch some positive highlights instead as even typing these has me ready to explode :(

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
People were writing stuff like "poor Arruda", "Arruda must be devastated", etc and I decided to answer with "don't feel sorry for me guys, I have a hot girlfriend". I was then challenged to prove it.
:lol::lol:

ghagua

Yesterday's match against City. We have lost games against lower level teams, we've been thrashed quite a few times against different opposition, but I have never seen a United team so unwilling to get out of their own half. I remember the champions league games against Barcelona when we could not get out of our own half, but that was because they were so good, but this game was because of tactics.