Film Worst Oscar snubs of all time?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Goodfellas losing out to Dances with Wolves in 1991 AND Scorsese losing best Director to Kevin Costner is pretty rough.

Sticking with Goodfellas, De Niro wasn’t even nominated for best supporting. Crazy considering he’s one of the best things about the film.

Green_Red

Didn't Joe Pesci win best supporting actor for Goodfellas?

Dances with Wolves is a very good film. From an academy perspective its a much better film than Goodfellas

Don't forget Costner wrote, starred and directed Dances with Wolves. No mean feat. I think it was even his first feature.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Dances with Wolves is a very good film. From an academy perspective its a much better film than Goodfellas

Don't forget Costner wrote, starred and directed Dances with Wolves. No mean feat. I think it was even his first feature.
He did. It was the only Oscar the film got.

Dances with Wolves is fine, but nowhere near Goodfellas.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
1989 Driving Miss Daisy won the best picture award, which is humorous in itself.
Do the Right Thing, the best film of the year, by Spike Lee wasn't even nominated.

Driving Miss Daisy , jfc.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Will Ferrell wasn't nominated for Anchorman.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Busquets has never been nominated.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Still don't know how The Shape of Water won the 2018 Academy awards best picture when you had Call Me by Your Name , Phantom Thread, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing and, my favourite and one that wasn't nominated, Lars Von Trier's The House That Jack Built.

Green_Red

He did. It was the only Oscar the film got.

Dances with Wolves is fine, but nowhere near Goodfellas.
In what way? I think at the time it was much more critically acclaimed than Goodfellas. Don't me wrong I love Goodfellas as a movie but I can see why it lost to Dances with Wolves, that's all.

I'm more surprised Rocky beat Taxi Driver, but again, wrote and starred in by same person.

Green_Red

1989 Driving Miss Daisy won the best picture award, which is humorous in itself.
Do the Right Thing, the best film of the year, by Spike Lee wasn't even nominated.

Do the right thing is better than Born on the 4th of July, or My Left Foot? Come on man... :wenger:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In what way? I think at the time it was much more critically acclaimed than Goodfellas. Don't me wrong I love Goodfellas as a movie but I can see why it lost to Dances with Wolves, that's all.

I'm more surprised Rocky beat Taxi Driver, but again, wrote and starred in by same person.
I think it was more critically acclaimed at the time, yeah. This is obviously looking back in hindsight. But I think Goodfellas is Scorsese's best movie and considering the films that guy has made that's saying something. So I just think not to be acknowledged for that by losing out on best movie AND best director was pretty criminal. And I'm not really a big fan of Dances with Wolves, if I'm being honest. The academy clearly loved the fact that it was the directorial debut for Costner, a much-loved actor.

In terms of your last point, yeah Scorsese has been done dirty a few times. Hence why he finally won for Departed. It obviously wasn't solely for that movie, but more of a "here you go, you should have got this years ago" type of thing

OleBoiii

Frozen winning best animated picture over The Wind Rises is a god damn travesty that completely ruined the credibility of that particular award.

I did some reading on the subject and it turns out that a bunch of "judges" simply ask their own American kids which movie they like the most and vote for that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Frozen winning best animated picture over The Wind Rises is a god damn travesty that completely ruined the credibility of that particular award.

I did some reading on the subject and it turns out that a bunch of "judges" simply ask their own American kids which movie they like the most and vote for that.
Yep, the The Wind Rises is a gorgeous films.

AaronRedDevil

Still mad that Leonardo didn't win for Django or Wolf of Wall street, that year Matthew McConaughey won for Dallas buyers Club. It's funny because Leo won an Oscar the following year. And Mathew should have won THAT year for Interstellar.

Also Greatest showman lost to Coco for the music catagory. A movie that just kept singing 2 words the whole time. Joke.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

I think this category relates mostly the movies children under 5 find appealing and not what grown men watch.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Still mad that Leonardo didn't win for Django or Wolf of Wall street, that year Matthew McConaughey won for Dallas buyers Club. It's funny because Leo won an Oscar the following year. And Mathew should have won THAT year for Interstellar.

Also Greatest showman lost to Coco for the music catagory. A movie that just kept singing 2 words the whole time. Joke.
Don't be hatin on Coco. It sends a good message. I do love James Arthur and his version of Rewrite the Stars was a lot better than the Zendaya/Zac Efron version. I'm not sure how I feel about Zendaya yet. I'm waiting for Dune to make my final judgment.

AaronRedDevil

Don't be hatin on Coco. It sends a good message. I do love James Arthur and his version of Rewrite the Stars was a lot better than the Zendaya/Zac Efron version. I'm not sure how I feel about Zendaya yet. I'm waiting for Dune to make my final judgment.
Is she in Dune!? Didn't know that. Just a bit salty that won over Showman. I despise musical's but that really got me. And Coco is good but saying one song and just "Remember me" throughout the movie, I felt it didn't deserve it. Showman should have won it. The Greatest show, Rewrite the Stars and my personal favorite This is me. Genuinely surprised I still remember them hah.

OleBoiii

Yep, the The Wind Rises is a gorgeous films.
Yeah, I think it's Miyazaki's 4th best film, only behind Spirited Away, Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke. It's a worthy ending to his career and a nice "redemption" after that shite Ponyo :p

I think this category relates mostly the movies children under 5 find appealing and not what grown men watch.
Which is bullshit, as the category is not called "best film for kids" :p

Granted, the academy is not alone in not respecting animated films. There is a severe lack of animation on this semi-famous list for instance: https://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There's an Indian film called Lagaan which is better than anything that was nominated in the Oscars that year. To this day I remain shocked it didn't win.

Oscars is political though. And movies that are half decent but based on some form of western patriosm do well. Like Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Kings Speech.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Rocky is American wet dream of rags to riches story.

Taxi driver is the ugly patch nobody wants to see.

Plus rocky was actually quite good..it's not such a travesty to vote for rocky

RORY65

That is one that has aged really badly. Forrest Gump winning in a year that the Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction is another bad one plus the King's Speech beating the Social Network.

Zen

Nah, it wasn't. Goodfellas was the critical darling for the year.... and so was Do The Right Thing for the year prior. Most of the best stuff from 1989 wasn't nominated because the Hollywood elite wasn't ready for it, well, literally no way near..... there's a massive chance Drugstore and Sex Lies still wouldn't get nominated, Do The Right Thing would very likely win under modern standards, comfortably so too.

I don't really care about my faves and shit not winning... some directors just don't care to play the game, same with actors, and immense praise can only take you so far sometimes.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Also, both Hitchcock and Stanley Kubrick never won a Best Director Oscar which is...yeah. Quite something.

Spark

Not sure if it’s a snub, as was a strong year, but Shawshank losing out to Forrest Gump in every category was harsh in my opinion. Gump is a classic obviously, but Shawshank is just the all time greatest and is clearly the better film.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

It’s an Ok film, squarely in the tradition of ‘white man joins a group of ‘primitive’ non-white people and does their culture better than them’ (see also the Last Samurai, A Man Called Horse etc etc). Goodfellas is a much much better film.

If you mean that Dances with Wolves is more the kind of film that the backwards Academy would like, then I can’t disagree.

OleBoiii

Not sure if it’s a snub, as was a strong year, but Shawshank losing out to Forrest Gump in every category was harsh in my opinion.
It's most definitely a snub. Forrest Gump is a fun movie, but it doesn't have the same depth or even entertainment value(imo) as Shawshank.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Not sure if it’s a snub, as was a strong year, but Shawshank losing out to Forrest Gump in every category was harsh in my opinion. Gump is a classic obviously, but Shawshank is just the all time greatest and is clearly the better film.
I don’t think Forrest Gump holds up that well. I agree that Shawshank is much better.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Pulp Fiction, also. Came out the same year and should have definitely beat Forrest Gump.