Worst Performances In Premier League History

tomaldinho1

4-0 down at half time. 5-0 down with 11 men. All of this at OT with a near full strength 11. And to top it off, it's against Liverpool.

This for sure has to be one of the worst ever performances by Manchester United. Ever
That was worst United performance I think in my lifetime. Klopp had rotated three players and that was us with 2 defensively minded CMs, how can we concede 5!!!

justsomebloke

Some of Arsenal's performances at the end of the Wenger era were abject.
I remember we were 3-0 up after 30 minutes in front of a 30% full Emirates and we took our foot off the gas knowing full well that they had no interest in a comeback.
Heh, I attended that game but got stuck in traffic and arrived...about 30 minutes late. Which was just as well. The one where Aubameyang missed a late penalty, right? Arsenal were just awful.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The infamous 80+crosses match against Fulhalm under Moyes comes to mind. The result itself wasn't interesting in any way, but I will never forget that performance. It was so far removed from everything I had come to associate with United that it was hard to believe this was the same club, it really felt like a watershed moment. Not one of the worst performances flat out, but comparatively horrendous.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
The 8-2 still makes me cry in the middle of the night.
- Arsenal had first teamers out (United were full strength bar Varane)
- SAF's United were clearly the best team around back then (City/Chelsea have both been equally impressive, if not more, than Liverpool this season)
- It was an end to end game where you created and took chances (we didn't score anything yesterday)
- That side was built with lesser resources (United fielded the world's most expensive defense and one of the most expensive attacks yesterday)
- You were not expected to challenge that season (United have spent 400m under Ole and are expected to)
- United kept attacking throughout the game (Liverpool showed mercy after 50m)

I'd say this result is comfortably worse.

Nick7

The infamous 80+crosses match against Fulhalm under Moyes comes to mind. The result itself wasn't interesting in any way, but I will never forget that performance. It was so far removed from everything I had come to associate with United that it was hard to believe this was the same club, it really felt like a watershed moment. Not one of the worst performances flat out, but comparatively horrendous.
God, that fecking game. After all that we finally scored in the last minute and Fulham just walked down the pitch and equalised. It sums up Moyes’ tenure.

The Arsenal 8 - 2 featured second string teams from both sides.

Watching since the 90s there have been some bad losses but we have never looked at hopeless as we did yesterday.

largelyworried

I think there's a shout for yesterday being the worst defeat in the Prem.

The rivalry - the biggest in the league
The way the game unfolded - not just a late show to do a cosmetic job on the scoreline, or skewed by a red card. 5-0 flattered us, not them
The quality of our squad - whatever limitations we have, we're not like some team recently promoted, facing the big boys for the first time
Away team won - getting battered in front of your own fans is particularly gruesome

I can't immediately think of a worse performance off the top of my head, either from United or anyone else in the league.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
- Arsenal had first teamers out (United were full strength bar Varane)
- SAF's United were clearly the best team around back then (City/Chelsea have both been equally impressive, if not more, than Liverpool this season)
- It was an end to end game where you created and took chances (we didn't score anything yesterday)
- That side was built with lesser resources (United fielded the world's most expensive defense and one of the most expensive attacks yesterday)
- You were not expected to challenge that season (United have spent 400m under Ole and are expected to)
- United kept attacking throughout the game (Liverpool showed mercy after 50m)

I'd say this result is comfortably worse.
I get all that but 8 is not just not something you see between top teams. 5 happens once in a while, tough not often. I'm sure Arsenal has conceded 5 a few times since then but I have no memory of those.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I would say yes. Perhaps that's just recency bias and emotion running high, but you got to factor in that this was also against Liverpool at home. Getting pumped by Liverpool at home ain't good. The absolute chaos of it all, and while losing is bad regardless of how it comes about, sometimes you can lose with a bit of dignity. Not yesterday.

Also, imagine if Liverpool actually played really well yesterday as opposed to staying in second gear all match. Scary.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Worst I've witnessed for us. One of those performances where a team just gives up after the second goal and they just know they aren't on the same level.

Relevant

Hundreds of fans streaming out of the gate before half time?
Booing VERY loudly at half time?
Then thousands of fans leaving after booing?

I don't give a shit about any other team.

This was Manchester United.
This was at Old Trafford.
This was with one of the most expensive teams ever assembled.
This was with arguably the GOAT in our team.

This was against Liverpool..... fooking LIVERPOOL!!!

And they didn't take their foot of the gas to be merciful to us - they did it because our players had become an undisciplined rabble, capable (and seemingly intent) on inflicting physical damage on their players after seeing one of them depart via stretcher.

We had no less than 6 players booked and one sent off, and we can count ourselves lucky it was only one red card.

We will probably get done for failure to control our players as we got five or more yellows.

Ronaldo could well have gone for webbing the ball as hard as he could into Jones' nuts, after the ref had already blown his whistle for a foul
Fernándes did a shocking tackle on Jones (we must proper hate that Scouse cnut)
Fred's foot in Keita's head (seen reds for them before)
And Maguire was last man v Jota - I would have been furious if that had been Rashford v VvD.

And Pogba! feck me.....the 'fouliest' player in the league, damn lucky to stay on v Wolves with a similar flying out of control lunge.

Shameful. Can't imagine a Klopp side lowering itself to those depths.

Maybe it's a lack of discipline that's got us in the mess we're in?

This was our biggest shitshow ever, and the sad truth is the dippers never advanced beyond second gear.

If you haven't at least booted the telly (an inanimate object) to death your commitment to the cause is questionable.....

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That was worst United performance I think in my lifetime. Klopp had rotated three players and that was us with 2 defensively minded CMs, how can we concede 5!!!
And here I was thinking Fabinho out was a big boost for us. I mean I can't think of any performance by us by us comes close. There are big defeats and then there's this one. It wasn't a thrashing, it was the Germany ve Brazil farce of a team playing a bunch of drunks.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
There have surely got to be some Tottenham performances down the years that were just plain ridiculous.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Heh, I attended that game but got stuck in traffic and arrived...about 30 minutes late. Which was just as well. The one where Aubameyang missed a late penalty, right? Arsenal were just awful.
It was a few days after the teams met in a Carabao Cup Final and was perishingly cold.
After City had built enough of a lead to win the game both teams just ran around enough to keep warm :)

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool lost to Stoke 6-1 in Gerrard's final game.
5-0 down at half time as well. I'd say you had much more quality in the line up yesterday than what we had in that game against Stoke that day. We lacked any high quality players at that point, other than maybe an ageing Gerrard but even then he was beyond his sell by date.

Still it was an awful performance from us. Rodgers was done after that.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Arsenal's first 20 minutes against us at Anfield in 2014 was pretty bad. It should've been more as well with the number of chances we had. 4-0 after 20 minutes and 5-0 up early in the second half.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I thought at the time City's 5-0 against Norwich earlier in the season was the worst I've personally seen, purely because I don't think they ever so much as looked like creating a chance. Never seen a team so passive.