Worst substitute appearance you can remember

Ish

Lights on for Luke
After watching Salomon Kalou's 5 minute cameo against Valencia on Wednesday night (he came on to give away a needless penalty, he gave the ball away a few times and even though - if Anelka wasn't greedy - Kalou could have won it for the Blues it was still a shocking cameo by Kalou) I tried to think back to some of the worst substitute cameos I can remember.

I found it difficult to top Kalou's - "coming off the bench as a striker to give away a needless handball" cameo in a difficult away UCL match.

So caftards what is the worst substitute performance that springs immediately to mind?

Eriku

Any one of Gomis' cameos for France in Euro 08. Looked so thoroughly out of his depth.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Obviously Ali dia or whatever his name is for Southampton is the famous one

But Bebe was shocking when he came on early last season and was hauled off again later in the game

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Any one of Gomis' cameos for France in Euro 08. Looked so thoroughly out of his depth.
I thought something similar of Edison Cavani for Uruguay at WC'10, but the guy is one of the leading forwards in Europe atm.

In his defence, he was asked to play out wide for Uruguay, trying to fit in both Forlan and Suarez in the process.

prateik

the one that springs to mind is Bebe against Wolves last season.
Coming on for the guinea pig after 10 minutes and being subbed off with 10-15 minutes to go.
He had a shocker that day

Iron Stove

There was a Liverpool game last season when Kyrgiakos came on to singlehandedly cause a goal against and a penalty as well as being responsible for a couple of other dangerous situations as I recall it. It was amazing.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It was very bad considering the minutes he was playing. Stupid stupid penalty in a game that looked to be won, lost the ball at least 3 times. Think he lost the ball every time he got it.

Cristiano_RAFC

Etcheverry from Bolivia who received a red card in the first minute of his sub appearance against Germany on the world cup in 1994 in the USA.

Mateja Kezman who was sent off 90 seconds after he came on as a sub against Norway in European Championship 2000.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Walter Boyd (Swansea City, 12 March 2000),
Keith Gillespie (Sheffield United, 20 January 2007)

Both players came on as a substitute and elbowed/pushed an opponent before the game had been restarted, given a red card after 0 seconds in play on the pitch without even touching the ball.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
There's a Woodgate cameo I can remember for Real Madrid (penalty, own goal and red card) but I'm not sure if he came off the bench or started the game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Walter Boyd (Swansea City, 12 March 2000),
Keith Gillespie (Sheffield United, 20 January 2007)

Both players came on as a substitute and elbowed/pushed an opponent before the game had been restarted, given a red card after 0 seconds in play on the pitch without even touching the ball.
I was thinking something like this.

Has a player ever been sent off AND made a costly mistake during his substitute appearance? That would be the ultimate mess up.

Member 5225

There's a Woodgate cameo I can remember for Real Madrid (penalty, own goal and red card) but I'm not sure if he came off the bench or started the game.
wasnt that his first game for the club or something? :lol:

TheGame

Ali Dia is a former Senegalese footballer who once played for English FA Premier League club Southampton, after falsely claiming to be a Senegalese international.
Having already had a failed trial at Rotherham United, Dia was signed by Southampton manager Graeme Souness in 1996, after Souness received a phone call purporting to be from Liberian international and former FIFA World Player of the Year George Weah. "Weah" told Souness that Dia was his cousin, had played for Paris Saint-Germain and had played 13 times for his country. In actual fact, none of this was true, and the phone call was from Dia's agent. However, Souness was convinced, and signed Dia on a one-month contract.
Dia played just one game for Southampton, against Leeds United on November 21, 1996. He came on for Matthew Le Tissier who was substituted after 32 minutes but his performance was spectacularly below Premier League quality; many would say that Dia was the worst player to ever play for Southampton. He himself suffered a substitution after playing for 53 minutes. Leeds won the match 2-0.
Dia was released by Southampton two weeks into his contract. He briefly played for non-league Gateshead F.C., before fading into obscurity. He has achieved a notorious status amongst English football fans for his lack of ability, and is regularly featured in lists of bad players or bad transfers.

Wittmann45

Dave Kitson, in the 07-08 season, I think it was the first game of the year, he came on as a sub, was on the pitch for less then a minute, fouled Evra, and was sent off.

Waltraute

She-Devil
So caftards what is the worst substitute performance that springs immediately to mind?
Marco Boogers for West Ham at OT.
Especially give the trajectory of his carreer after this legendary 'come on - immediately make an insane tackle - red card' appearance.

"We can laugh about it now, but at the time it was terrible..." :D

beardsleybob

wasnt that his first game for the club or something? :lol:
Spot on. It was his first start after being injured for like six months upon signing for them. Utterly abysmal debut.

davisjw

Ali sounds like a legend. His situation would also explain why Bebe somehow managed to get into our club...