Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I knew what was coming as soon as I heard we are drawing on the £140m credit facility.
There was no way it was for transfers. We have nearly £200m in payables due over the next 12 months.
People need to realize we are not that rich and we are saddled with owners that don't have glory as an ambition.

Champagne Football

In the past year we've signed Bruno, Maguire, Mejbri and Wan Bissaka. 200 million quid, that's a huge outlay for any club. On top of that Greenwood and Martial have become important first XI players.

Our need to spend big is not as urgent as some suggest. We have Mejbri who will probably get game time next season when Bruno needs a rest. One year from now we will have Chong, Garner and Levitt all pushing for a first XI spot after hopefully successful loans away.

The money required for Sancho is dangerous for any club to spend in the current climate. Teams like Liverpool, Madrid, and others may not spend at all.

I think the club will wait till the end of the transfer window to try and bring in 1 or 2 players for non-crazy fee's such as Brooks and Badiashile.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I knew what was coming as soon as I heard we are drawing on the £140m credit facility.
There was no way it was for transfers. We have nearly £200m in payables due over the next 12 months.
People need to realize we are not that rich and we are saddled with owners that don't have glory as an ambition.
Sadly I do think there’s some truth here. I think we’ll add someone to the squad but I doubt there will be a mega signing this year.

Paranoid Android

The money required for Sancho is dangerous for any club to spend in the current climate. Teams like Liverpool, Madrid, and others may not spend at all.
Well... Yeah. Liverpool and Real Madrid won their respective leagues. They don't have to spend as much as we do to compete.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
In the past year we've signed Bruno, Maguire, Mejbri and Wan Bissaka. 200 million quid, that's a huge outlay for any club. On top of that Greenwood and Martial have become important first XI players.

Our need to spend big is not as urgent as some suggest. We have Mejbri who will probably get game time next season when Bruno needs a rest. One year from now we will have Chong, Garner and Levitt all pushing for a first XI spot after hopefully successful loans away.

I think the club will wait till the end of the transfer window to try and bring in 1 or 2 players for non-crazy fee's such as Brooks and Badiashile.
Yeah, Sancho would be amazing but my priority would be to put an extra midfielder in the squad that has some quality about them.

Nitewolf

Yeah, I think Mancini quoted something like 'to stand still you have to move forward' when City signed barely anyone after they'd won the league.
Liverpool you could argue will fall into that category, they haven't made any tracks in the market yet.
City too. Are they inept?
Without doubt the club is working behind the scenes, but it's pointless to start throwing money at random players as that's what got us into a mess in the first place.
I'd much prefer a methodical approach this time round, but the fans need to be patient with that.

If in two weeks we are in the same situation then I'll start agreeing with you and probably want to start smashing stuff!!
Seriously, what are you on about?

Why are you comparing us to City and Liverpool when they are miles ahead of us in terms of squad strength and depth? Liverpool can afford to be inept, they were 33 points ahead of us.

The fans are not patient because we have been here before. The market have been open for a while now, and every time we went this far without a signing we ended up with a few insignificant additions at best, or some panic buys to save face.

The worst part is, some of our fans have clearly lost the winning mentality that SAF spent a lot of time to build before the Glazers took over this club.

The only club we should eye this window is Chelsea, simply because we were on a race with them over PL dominance anticipating the natural decline in Liverpool and City because they were inept this window. Both United and Chelsea prior to this window had a strong young squad that needed strong additions. We needed to spend this summer to catch those three clubs in the next 2 years, and try to surpass them in the year after that.

Any decent club should be able to identify 3 or 4 options for their needs. What we need is very clear, RW, DM who can cover Matic, a left footed LB for God's sake, and a left footed CB. These are urgent needs for squad depth, we still need a cover for Bruno, let alone selling the deadwood. We could have worked on that over the last six months because all that is clear and obvious. It not like there are any surprises here!

Last edited:

Redcy

Whilst I think that you maybe right to some extent the issue is that if we go in to this season with the squad we have we will end up outside the top four in all likelihood. Our squad is atrocious, one or two injuries and you are fielding players who are struggling and have been for years.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Up and ready for another day of absolutely nothing let’s gooooo.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Seriously, what are you on about?

Why are you comparing us to City and Liverpool when they are miles ahead of us in terms of squad strength and depth? Liverpool can afford to be inept, they were 33 points ahead of us.

The fans are not patient because we have been here before. The market have been open for a while now, and every time we went this far without a signing we ended up with a few insignificant additions at best, or some panic buys to save face.

The worst part is, some of our fans have clearly lost the winning mentality that SAF spent a lot of time to build before the Glazers took over this club.

The only club we should eye this window is Chelsea, simply because we were on a race with them over PL dominance anticipating the natural decline in Liverpool and City because they were inept this window. Both United and Chelsea prior to this window had a strong young squad that needed strong additions. We needed to spend this summer to catch those three clubs in the next 2 years, and try to surpass them in the year after that.

Any decent club should be able to identify 3 or 4 options for their needs. What we need is very clear, RW, DM who can cover Matic, a left footed LB for God's sake, and a left footed CB. These are urgent needs for squad depth, we still need a cover for Bruno, let alone selling the deadwood. We could have worked on that over the last six months because all that is clear and obvious. It not like there are any surprises here!
On one hand you are saying the fans have lost the winning mentality, on the other hand you are saying the only club we should concentrate on is Chelsea, the team that finished behind us last season. That baffles me.
We should concentrate on the 20/30 point difference between us and Liverpool.
We need signings, the club knows that.
It will be addressed. Just have patience.

To be fair I forgot City have signed Torres and Ake to boost their squad.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not sure how our top players will feel coming back next week if there are no new signings. The rest of them will be grinning for ear to ear.

Champagne Football

Yeah, Sancho would be amazing but my priority would be to put an extra midfielder in the squad that has some quality about them.
I agree we need a Boubakary Soumare or a Van de Beek for 25 million. But I'm not totally against the idea of Fred and McT as cover, Mejbri promoted, and waiting a year for Garner and Levitt to develop.

But I have a feeling there might be 1 or 2 surprises in the window at the end of the window.

DevilsOwn

Not sure how our top players will feel coming back next week if there are no new signings. The rest of them will be grinning for ear to ear.
Yes, i do think it will be very deflating for the guys to see competition becoming stronger, and we making no moves. At All.

Little rest, next to no pre season, Maguire saga and no signings (or seemingly, any real move towards a signing too). This is just the worst way to restart.

DarkDog

Talk about not knowing what you are talking about.
1* Yeah that was a lot of spending FOR 2 SEASONS. Season before that we didnt spend anything. Bought 3rd goalkeeper for Jose after he took us to champions league, we used money that was left over from that season when we needed to spend money on Maguire and Wan-Bissaka. Martial? like Martial had been some u19 player the years before.
2* Yes it is, our first 11 won us games, but when plan a didnt work then we didnt have even 1 sub to use. How are u planning to play 66 games in a season with 11 players? that is a lot of miles to put on mostly young players. We NEED at least 4 good players and that is even when the likes of Mengi, Mejbri, Tuanzebe can give us hard minutes. One year from now? nobody knows what will happen in 1 year. I love Garner and Levitt, but nobody knows how they will handle going to men's league. And even if they do good there, they won't be pushing for first 11 spots, guarantee you that mate
3* It isn't, it is just something that Glazers are sending out there, ''dangerous'' ''unthinkable'' etc. It is wise to spend in this market. Sancho would never be 108 mil player when everything would have been fine, 20 goals and 20 assists from right wing? Messi gives you those kind of numbers. Those are unicorn numbers. he would be 150 mil player at least. RM, Barca, PSG would be after him. Chelsea are taking advantage of the market, it is smart for them. if they need funds, they will just sell those players for more next summer. They will be worth much more in usual market. Liverpool and Madrid won't spend because they are already champions, with good teams. They don't have the need to spend.
4*Brooks and Badiashile are a waste of money. We have already got Badiashile, he is called Eric Bailly. Do we need another Bailly? no, we need to improve our squad dude.

Nitewolf

On one hand you are saying the fans have lost the winning mentality, on the other hand you are saying the only club we should concentrate on is Chelsea, the team that finished behind us last season. That baffles me.
We should concentrate on the 20/30 point difference between us and Liverpool.
We need signings, the club knows that.
It will be addressed. Just have patience.

To be fair I forgot City have signed Torres and Ake to boost their squad.
United and Chelsea ended the season on the same 66 points, both teams share a lot , same young manager with no much of experience, young squads, emerging young talents. Not paying attention to Chelsea is a huge mistake and an underestimation we can't afford.

The Liverpool attacking trio are all above 28 years. Same as De Bryune and all key players for City. They are all in their prime, you are not going to catch them this season unless you spend a fortune on stars on their prime right now. So, you plan a head for the next two years, which is exactly what Chelsea are doing, and we are not.

And by the way, if our club think Chelsea aren't a worthy opponent simply because we finished 3rd due to goal difference, they are criminally short sighted. They have a great squad, they filled most of their needs, yet still not done with the market. And we have done nothing.

I don't know what exactly makes you trust that Ed & Co are working on 3 players and that we're going to have 3 quality players this window, we have been here before my friend.

And finally, it's all about managing expectations. If we are happy to be the (new Arsenal), just in it for that comfortable 4th finish and CL money, I'll understand those fans who are asking for patience and wondering why some of us are making a fuss about this window. But if we are still hungry for that silverware then I don't know why or how are you this calm.

Nitewolf

Here we go

We don't need transfers any way, it's a myth that transfers define your season.
Yaya Toure and David Silva did not define their 2010-2011 season, and signing Aguero the following season wasn't at all significant!!

Manchester United signing RVP at the beginning of 2012-2013 season also didn't define our season at all.

Someone got briefed again apparently

laughtersassassin

Did you watch us after lockdown? Ole only trusts 11 players. He refuses to make subs as he knows they cannot contribute. If that doesn't show we need reinforcements badly I don't know what does.

Last edited:

laughtersassassin

Here we go

We don't need transfers any way, it's a myth that transfers define your season.
Yaya Toure and David Silva did not define their 2010-2011 season, and signing Aguero the following season wasn't at all significant!!

Manchester United signing RVP at the beginning of 2012-2013 season also didn't define our season at all.

Someone got briefed again apparently
Absolute joke of an article

Redcy

And so the briefings and talk starts of how we don't need transfers really. Next the talk about how or senior squad players need to step up (i.e. Jesse. Pereira et all), after that we will get the Henderson is like a new signing, and for a finish how Ole expects to play the youth this year.

romufc

We are seing alot of briefs coming out over the last few days about signings.

I have seen a few now, there was another one I saw yesterday that this is a good time to be a United fan even without signings.

Then there was the brief that this will not be a usual transfer window.

Should we be ready for a summer of no signings?

Redcy

I have seen a few now, there was another one I saw yesterday that this is a good time to be a United fan even without signings.

No, best guess is we go get Brooks for 30m in the last week of the transfer window.

laughtersassassin

Whilst I think that you maybe right to some extent the issue is that if we go in to this season with the squad we have we will end up outside the top four in all likelihood. Our squad is atrocious, one or two injuries and you are fielding players who are struggling and have been for years.
No excuse if we end outside the top 4. I'll feel for Ole as right now he is being fecked over but if he ends outside the top 4 he will have to go.

We can't keep going backwards.

DomesticTadpole

Did you watch us after lockdown? Ole only that 11 players. He refuses to make subs as he know they cannot contribute. If that doesn't show we need reinforcements badly I don't know what does.
Also the number of times people say this young player will be ready next season and that young player will be ready next season. I have heard it year after year after year. Funny enough in recent years the most vaunted ones go nowhere, the ones who seem to get into the first team quite often come completely from left field or through an injury crisis. There were other players who were supposedly better than Scott McTominay, where are they now? Not that I think Scott McTominay is top notch either. We love our kids and our record with playing kids, but do not look at them as clinically as we should.

laughtersassassin

It's so funny seeing so many defend a poor window when Ole himself said two weeks ago that if we want to improve we need to us this transfer window.

Redcy

If he is not given any signings I am not sure what you would expect him to do. It's clear he doesn't rate our other players enough to play them. If we get an injury to Bruno, Martial, or any key players we are bringing in dross.

DomesticTadpole

No excuse if we end outside the top 4. I'll feel for Ole as right now he is being fecked over but if he ends outside the top 4 he will have to go.

We can't keep going backwards.
Then they will go and get Poch, not that I am sure that's the right road to go down, back him for one transfer window. He does well then lo and behold the funding disappears. It's the Manchester United Triangle where ambition disappears without trace.

Hawks2008

Think i might be sick if we only end up signing the likes of Brooks and Badiashile this window.

The club has no ambition.

Siorac

I think there's a very good chance that we'll sign no one this window, yes. We should be prepared for that as fans. With each passing day, it's increasingly likely as there aren't even rumours now.

laughtersassassin

Then they will go and get Poch, not that I am sure that's the right road to go down, back him for one transfer window. He does well then lo and behold the funding disappears. It's the Manchester United Triangle where ambition disappears without trace.
Yeah I'd say that's what will happen too. Ole needs to make some statements saying he needs signings. Works for Conte.

The Urban Goose

Probably.

Never mind Sancho, if we still have Lindelof as first choice CB this season we're still fecked anyway, particularly when being shielded by Matic and his zimmer frame.

Redcy

Think i might be sick if we only end up signing the likes of Brooks and Badiashile this window.

The club has no ambition.

I'd grab a sick bag right now, all the words and articles are pointing to it, drip by drip.

RkkMan

Laughing at people agitated by that article. Our summer is frustrating but our activity is in no way tied to an opinionated that is filled with opinions rather than actual facts. Better to wait for actual substance from the club before we make noise last time we signed nobody in a summer window was 25 years ago no chance history repeats itself but whether we get who we want/need is the question

Siorac

Laughing at people agitated by that article. Our summer is frustrating but our activity is in no way tied to an opinionated that is filled with opinions rather than actual facts. Better to wait for actual substance from the club before we make noise last time we signed nobody in a summer window was 25 years ago no chance history repeats itself but whether we get who we want/need is the question
I think when people say "we'll sign nobody", they mean "nobody for the first team squad". So sure, we might get that French defender but he barely even played for Monaco last season so he'll probably start out in the Reserves. It'd still be, technically, a summer signing, but not quite what we were hoping for.

DomesticTadpole

Not sure we will not sign anybody, but fear they will be budget buys who might not even be better than what we have. That the board think Ole just wants bodies in there, when he wants game changers. We'll see anyway, they might surprise us. If they do anything slightly competent will be a surprise.

Nitewolf

The club has already issued an email citing the economic effects of Covid - 19 and how we should be (very careful) in our spending this summer.

But hey, it must be dandy in Dream land.

Redcy

It follows what we have seen before, its not this specific article, its the drip, drip we are starting to see of articles saying we don't need signings, etc. If you don't think the club orchestrates this kind of stuff you need to pay attention. Hence I think we will get this down playing of expectations all the way until October and we will see our big signing of Brooks.