Would no money spent in January indicate Poch in the summer?

RedIan

No - refusal to pay out for players is more to do with profit margins director dividends and share price. What the thicko,s in charge dont realise is if the football is crap and we win nothing the share price will tank.

Amir

I think much like when we didn't back Jose, Ole not getting any money spent is a sign that he's on his way and someone, probably Poch will take over in the summer.
I tend to think so to. Or atleast they have big doubts about Solskjaer so they aren't willing to throw money at the problem.

I felt that even though they gave Mourinho a new contract during 2017/18, by the time the season ended the hierarchy lost faith in him so they're weren't willing to back him financially in the summer of 2018. They same might have happened with Solskjaer. They made him permanent manager in March 2019, then saw the results nosedive by the end of the season, so they gave him some moeny but nowhere near the backing the last two managers got. Sort of giving him a chance to prove he should get more money. Has he? Not for my, well, money.

The very fact we got to two summers in a row with managers who we don't have full faith in, yet kept them, shows the problem.

Roboc7

We bought Mata for a record fee when Moyes was in charge so it might not mean anything either way really. This club is so badly run I don’t think you can resist much with any certainty.

TheReligion

Abusive
I tend to think so to. Or atleast they have big doubts about Solskjaer so they aren't willing to throw money at the problem.

I felt that even though they gave Mourinho a new contract during 2017/18, by the time the season ended the hierarchy lost faith in him so they're weren't willing to back him financially in the summer of 2018. They same might have happened with Solskjaer. They made him permanent manager in March 2019, then saw the results nosedive by the end of the season, so they gave him some moeny but nowhere near the backing the last two managers got. Sort of giving him a chance to prove he should get more money. Has he? Not for my, well, money.

The very fact we got to two summers in a row with managers who we don't have full faith in, yet kept them, shows the problem.
I think the club have certainly become more cautious with the money and timing of things. This is evident given how we shut off Mourinho from spending when we knew we'd be getting rid and how we let Solskjaer spend but also balanced the books with sales.

I can't help but feel Ole was brought in to do a very specific job. Clear out the squad based on what we had from the previous four managers. I also thing there's no real expectations this season providing the main job is getting done with regards to the clear out (which it is). I don't believe the club, or Ole himself, expect him to be here long term but he's simply bridging the gap and getting us set.

Scriblerus

No. There will be a plan for the squad, there will be performance targets, there will be decisions about viable long term targets and about the possible need for short term targets in order to see the season out. The club haven't given the job to Ole on the basis that they will all see how it goes and maybe rattle a bit of cash now and then.
The question, of course, is whether it's a good plan or a bad one, and whether they have the personnel (in acquisitions and coaching) to pull it off. Meanwhile, the cash cow keeps on being milked - which is line one of the Glazer's business plan.

Amir

I don't believe the club, or Ole himself, expect him to be here long term but he's simply bridging the gap and getting us set.
it's a very small window of opportunity, thought. If he stays past this season, he'll surely be allowed to spend some money in the summer - say, on three players again. Which will mean he's starting to build HIS squad, which will be doing a bit more than getting us set for another manager.

Right now, our small squad is not a bad thing for a new manager as it will be easier for him to build a team of his own. It won't be like that after this summer.

wolvored

If we dont spend I think it's either it's the end of ole probably end of the season or glazers starting to think long term and it's the long goodbye and maybe not next year but within a season or two sell up. Either way it will be a good thing for the club

Greck

it's a very small window of opportunity, thought. If he stays past this season, he'll surely be allowed to spend some money in the summer - say, on three players again. Which will mean he's starting to build HIS squad, which will be doing a bit more than getting us set for another manager.

Right now, our small squad is not a bad thing for a new manager as it will be easier for him to build a team of his own. It won't be like that after this summer.
Agree on the last paragraph. For example the more I watch AWB the more I'm convinced a progressive manager (if we get one) will swap he and Dalot's place in the pecking order. If we're going to make a change it better be the summer before we over-invest in the wrong person's vision

That Ole is laying foundations for the next manager isn't true. All our previous managers also claimed to have laid great foundations for the next manager and as we all saw evert single time, their successors didn't like even the best performers from the previous regime. So yeah "he's laying foundations for the next manager" isn't a real reason

IrishRedDevil

Poch wanted Fernandes at Spurs though. We should buy him in January and give him 6 months to settle, before Poch takes over.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It really doesn't matter who the manager is by the summer. The club's mentality should be competing for the best possible players in the market not wait for a manager to impose his ideas while our season goes to shite. For example buying Bruno, Madison and prehaps a striker is certainly not going to discourage a potential new manager even if he doesn't see some of those names as first team choices. We didn't improve our squad in the summer and the Lukaku money was used for Maguire
Who is judging who is a good player though? Woodward?
It's unthinkable to bring expensive players in on some sort of presumption that the next manager will like them.
We've just seen the problems that causes with the last few managers.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Agree on the last paragraph. For example the more I watch AWB the more I'm convinced a progressive manager (if we get one) will swap he and Dalot's place in the pecking order. If we're going to make a change it better be the summer before we over-invest in the wrong person's vision

That Ole is laying foundations for the next manager isn't true. All our previous managers also claimed to have laid great foundations for the next manager and as we all saw evert single time, their successors didn't like even the best performers from the previous regime. So yeah "he's laying foundations for the next manager" isn't a real reason
How can you possibly see enough in dalot for him to keep a 50m an out? He's barely featured. And can barely defend.

RedMilo

No - no money spent is because no money is available to spend. They will stick by Ole, because they have no choice but to do so. They are in a position financially where they have wasted £100's of millions and now have to hope younger less well paid players can be developed into a team.

Don't be surprised if De Gea & Pogba get sold in the summer, they are on a mission to significantly reduce the wage bill, and with no DDG, Pogba or Sanchez on the wageroll it will help massively with the expected downturn in revenues, from no CL football again plus shirt sponsor coming to an end, with no reason to believe they will get a replacement at anywhere near the willingness to pay what Chevrolet paid, nevermind bettering it...

The club are in a real mess right the way through, they will make a story about Ed Woodwards tenure, 'about being able to do things other clubs can only dream of' & Utd being 'adult version of Disney' - A story of how to take the world best and most supported football team, to a club saddled with debt, have no vision, clear plan or identity on or off the pitch and scrapping around for loan deals with few days remaining of January transfer window.

I could fecking cry about whats happened to us...

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No - no money spent is because no money is available to spend. They will stick by Ole, because they have no choice but to do so. They are in a position financially where they have wasted £100's of millions and now have to hope younger less well paid players can be developed into a team.

Don't be surprised if De Gea & Pogba get sold in the summer, they are on a mission to significantly reduce the wage bill, and with no DDG, Pogba or Sanchez on the wageroll it will help massively with the expected downturn in revenues, from no CL football again plus shirt sponsor coming to an end, with no reason to believe they will get a replacement at anywhere near the willingness to pay what Chevrolet paid, nevermind bettering it...

The club are in a real mess right the way through, they will make a story about Ed Woodwards tenure, 'about being able to do things other clubs can only dream of' & Utd being 'adult version of Disney' - A story of how to take the world best and most supported football team, to a club saddled with debt, have no vision, clear plan or identity on or off the pitch and scrapping around for loan deals with few days remaining of January transfer window.

I could fecking cry about whats happened to us...
We're stuck with De Gea on a £300k+ a week contract for 6 years. No one would be daft enough to match it.

Agree on the money though, it's gone at the level we really need to spend. Selling Pogba will cover it up in the summer.

BR7

There could be a variety of reasons why we haven’t bought anyone (or a combination of a few of the reasons).

Quibbling over 5-10 million is not a new thing with Woodward. AWB, Maguire the first time round.

But it could be because we actually don’t have the money to spend.

It could be as Ole won’t be the manager for the new season they won’t sign anyone for him and will wait for the new manager (although as someone else pointed out, if the new manager is poch, he wanted Fernandes at Spurs so why not get him in now?)

It could be the glazers are trying to take more out of the club while contemplating selling the club

Other reasons I haven’t touched on probably exist.....

One thing is for sure, all signs lead to ole not being manager next season. That’s one thing for certain or they would have spent this window to support him.

Walters_19_MuFc

To me, no money spent in January would suggest that there's no value in the market.

We're all harping on about recruitment and how, over the last few years, it's been poor. Yet, a lot of us are happy with us splashing the cash for overpriced players in Jan because we're 'desperate'.

We can't have it both ways!

We either pay over the odds for players like we have been doing over the last few years, which I think is safe to say hasn't worked, or we simply pull out of deals and pursue other players who we feel represents better value for money. We can't keep letting clubs take advantage because they will continue to do so. I mean, 50M for Longstaff? In what world? Yes, it may mean we lose out on some players who happen to be a success, but there's plenty of players out there that, if our scouting system is of top quality, can come in and be a success.

I also don't get the narrative about we're not being allowed to spend. We're the third highest spending club in the world since the departure of Sir Alex. We've been allowed to spend. Unfortunately, very few of the players we've bought in have been a success.

I feel this is where everyone feels we need a DOF. Over the last few years, it feels like we've bought players for the sake of it, instead of thinking about how this player will fit into our system and whether that player will compliment players around him.

For example, we know Martial likes to drop into pockets of space, so if we're looking to buy an attacking midfielder next season, it should be someone in the with a similar style to Alli, who likes to run behind the striker. If not, then let's get a right winger, who like Rashford, likes to make runs in behind. Someone who compliments our box to box midfielders in Fred/McTominay.

From what I see, Ole is trying to replicate the 4411 formation Sir Alex played. Difference is, our attacking mids/second strikers are not goal threats, our striker is not a poacher, we haven't got a top class right winger and someone in the midfield to dictate play.

If Ole can get those profile of players in (and I don't think we should rush in Jan) then I'm almost sure we will start to see more consistency.

Last edited:

Greck

How can you possibly see enough in dalot for him to keep a 50m an out? He's barely featured. And can barely defend.
Because time and time again progressive managers have shown an unmistakable preference for the option that's comfortable in possession. They won't care about AWB's price tag. I'm not stating Dalot is better. I'm saying there's every chance the next guy will prefer a RB that's comfortable on the ball. Could be Dalot or whoever he decides to buy. It buttresses the bigger point that managers have different opinions and it's a mistake to think the next guy will like the so called foundations Ole is putting in

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Because time and time again progressive managers have shown an unmistakable preference for the option that's comfortable in possession. They won't care about AWB's price tag
Dalot isn't particularly more comfortable, and is a downgrade on Wan Bissaka in nearly every aspect of the game bar perhaps being a little bit more attacking.
But let's not falsely remember Dalot as some kind of young Ronaldo.

Greck

Dalot isn't particularly more comfortable, and is a downgrade on Wan Bissaka in nearly every aspect of the game bar perhaps being a little bit more attacking.
But let's not falsely remember Dalot as some kind of young Ronaldo.
I added some more to that post. I do think the bolded is a ridiculous thing to say but don't want to get into it so let's agree to disagree

alexthelion

Plenty of talk about why United haven't spent any money given the injuries and clear need for reinforcements in the midfield. That, along with the fact we are still in all cup competitions, doesn't bode well for the seasons finish.

The above, along with the rumours around Poch, to me indicate the reluctance to spend now may well lead to a change in management at the end of the season. It was similar with Mourinho.

The frustration here is a DoF would have made the above mute as it gives continued stability irrespective of changes in leadership. That said we are where we are so would you accept no meaningful business this window if it points towards the rebuild continuing and Ole departing for Poch in the summer?
I beluieve it's more incompetence on the parts of Ed/Judge rather than waiting for Poch. That would indicate pre-planning, not something Ed is renowned for.

Whatever it is, it's pathetic that there's been no reinforcements signed.

Member 90887

No, simply because Poch wanted Bruno already in the summer when he was at Spurs.

You're giving too much credit to this board.

Tel074

Plenty of talk about why United haven't spent any money given the injuries and clear need for reinforcements in the midfield. That, along with the fact we are still in all cup competitions, doesn't bode well for the seasons finish.

The above, along with the rumours around Poch, to me indicate the reluctance to spend now may well lead to a change in management at the end of the season. It was similar with Mourinho.

The frustration here is a DoF would have made the above mute as it gives continued stability irrespective of changes in leadership. That said we are where we are so would you accept no meaningful business this window if it points towards the rebuild continuing and Ole departing for Poch in the summer?

No it indicates we have the worst owners in the PL

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We'll have probably had some middle men chatting to Poch.

But while it'd definitely be risky to let Solskjaer lash too much cash away in Jan - it's also a tough time to spend well anyway.
As well as being risky when it's likely we'll bin him In the summer anyway. Unless people think we're on the phone to Poch checking if he fancies the targets!

Poch is probably glad he has that clause stopping him working til the summer - stepping in now would be a dreadful time.

SplitzMagic

Need to sack Sols now and bring in Poch (pay Tottenham to remove clause). Could do with reviving the team now like last year with a new manager.

Sols is going to take us to new lows.

Its worse than the stock market crash in 2008.

We used to be the holding the reigns of the horse and carriage but now we're literally the bottom of the wooden wheels getting dragged through the mud - think red dead redemption 2 .

iKeano

This would cost United around £16m + whatever the costs of compensating Ole and his staff for contract termination … which would all be subtracted from your summer budget.
Keeping Olé until summer - on his current form - would mean we'd be lucky to qualify for the Europa League.
Poch might kick-start a charge for top 4 by, you know, managing a team, making good selections, having good tactics, showing evidence of training ground systems & set pieces, in-game management, injury management. (Possible with Poch) Champions League qualification would offset the cost of sending Olé & his band of merry idiots packing now, give Poch time to bed in & work with the squad so he could make informed decisions about ins & outs in the summer window.

Rest assured though, Utd are not going to sign anyone this window, they never had any intention of it. Fernandes is political spindoctoring & this £30m kid from Birmingham is the biggest lie since £350m a week to the NHS. Like Boris Johnson's "dead cat on the table" distraction tactics. They feed bullcrap scraps to the masses to take away from the real issues.

Alabaster Codify7

I can see why you think that but for me, it just points to the fact the club don't want to spend. They're probably looking at our league position and thinking there's a slight, slight chance Ole can scrape top 4 with what he has (if we hit a run of form). They're gambling that against 60m now and probably leaning towards the former - if Ole fails, they can unleash Neil Ashton and give a new manager 60m this summer. They're the pits.

pat dunne

How can anyone see anything in AWB and Maguire to make the worth 50 mil and 80 mil .? This British core nonsense is the most stupid idea ever and only dimwits like Carrick , Phelan and that puppet Ole could come up with it .

Sylar

I can see why you think that but for me, it just points to the fact the club don't want to spend. They're probably looking at our league position and thinking there's a slight, slight chance Ole can scrape top 4 with what he has (if we hit a run of form). They're gambling that against 60m now and probably leaning towards the former - if Ole fails, they can unleash Neil Ashton and give a new manager 60m this summer. They're the pits.
We will be stuck in a cycle on this. If we get rid of Ole (cos he doesnt get top4) and bring In Poch, the issue remains, we still are 6 or so players short (as it is). We may lose a few more (matic, mata...)
Poch might end up doing better, but theres no guarantee especially if we get an injury or two (weve had pogba missing whole season, McT for a large chunk, Martial for a lot, and now Rashford for a lot).

We will probably get 3 at most in the summer, Poch will be left short of what is needed, we will struggle and be stuck in this cycle of missing out on CL football or scrapping for top4 and not really improving to the next level by not bringing in experience to help the youth through
(As good as class of 92 were, they needed a guiding hand or two from the likes of Cantona, Keane, Schmeichel). We dont have anything like that nor a manager even close to Fergie.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I said over two months ago that I had doubts the Glazers would give Ole funds in January. I'm actually pretty confident they have Poch lined up for the summer and Fernandes and Haaland both are players that would fit into the Argentines set up comfortably, so I'm not surprised we tried/trying to sign both players.

I fully believe the United hierarchy are in contact with Poch.

red4ever 79

No, I just think the Glazers no longer want to invest vast sums in our club. Minimum investment while the revenue/tv deals are still coming in.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Even if it is the plan to bring in Poch at the end of the season, you would still need to make the transition as smooth as possible.

How short sighted is it to just wait for the end of the season, sitting on our hands? Sign someone, sort out the backroom, ... Instead we'll wait for the new manager to come in and then go: ok, so now what?

If you wanna bake a cake, you pre-heat the oven!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How can anyone see anything in AWB and Maguire to make the worth 50 mil and 80 mil .? This British core nonsense is the most stupid idea ever and only dimwits like Carrick , Phelan and that puppet Ole could come up with it .
English players. United involved. United desperate. It all adds up.
Wan Bissaka and Maguire are both quality defenders though. So we just have to be glad they're here, and forget about the fees.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Revenue is going to be down around 30mil this season. Next season it will be down at least another 20mil with the adiddas deal.

The owners arent going to spent big. Not a chance.

shaky

I think the Glazers have realised that, while there's more money to be made from being a top level team, there's no guarantee that spending money will make us a top level team, so they've decided to not spend money and just settle for the profit they make from us being an average team.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
it would prove that the club has no idea what it's doing - which I'm pretty sure is the case

Bestietom

Even if we spend money this window, I still think that Poch will be here in the summer. Too many wanting Ole out now.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think the Glazers have realised that, while there's more money to be made from being a top level team, there's no guarantee that spending money will make us a top level team, so they've decided to not spend money and just settle for the profit they make from us being an average team.
I think this is it. They obviously want us to be a top team, but yes they have settled for it. Less income is still safe income, and since Ed came in it has been a bottomless pit of wasted money with nothing to show for it. Spending money have led us nowhere, if we're going nowhere we might as well not hurry to get there by wasting even more money.

Not to say we wont get there quicker with a more patient approach, less panic with a long term view. To me it isn't all negative. I think it is good that they have changed their approach because what they did before clearly wasn't working, but at the same time we have no assurances that they wont feck this approach up as well. I think the best we can hope for the next few years with this approach is to stabilise the club a bit, reduce wage bill etc and follow a coherent transfer strategy. Maybe the odd big transfer like Sancho or similar. If we do it correctly it might work.

I do find it a bit tiresome though, because we have ignored our squad for 4-5 windows so I disagree with the slow approach right now to change the squad. We could very well sell and replace a few players instead of signing them on to new big contracts for no reason. I think we could spend not more than 100m on several players in one window if we're smart, just to strengthen the squad and replace some of the useless rubbish. Then we'd be in a better position to make the slow approach work more efficiently.