Would Pep/Tuchel win the title with the current United squad and Ole with the current City/Chelsea squad?

Strelok

Would them and why? What do you think?

Would be interesting I think.

MichaelRed

Any other manager on the planet would have yeeted the likes of James, Mata, Lingard etc & gone all in for a DM and then yes, they'd have won the league.

Goku1983

Hmmm thats tough I think maube Touchel but mot Pep as we dont have the players to suit Peps way of playing but I think Touchel would. As for Ole it depends if he has favourites he refuses to drop while having quality on the bench like now then no he wouldnt thats Oles one big fault for me he needsto drop players off form and play ones that need game time and a chance! Fed/VDB being the biggest example.

Moonwalker

You need people from the fantasy draft thread to play it out and give us a conclusive answer to this fascinating conundrum.

Lentwood

No manager in world football would have achieved better league positions with the players Ole has had at his disposal.

That's not to say I believe Ole is the best manager in the world, just that I fail to see how anybody else could have toppled this City squad with such obvious deficiencies in our squad.

Deery

Dreary
There’s no way of knowing but Tuchel would definitely win the league with this side..

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Pep would struggle with our imbalanced squad. Tuchel could possibly do it, we have a very strong defence who could do well under him.
Ole would struggle at city without a striker as would almost any other manager. He could possibly do well with Chelsea although he doesn’t seem to fancy Lukaku, so who knows how that would play out. Plus he’s never challenged for a title before so that’s certainly against him.

Flytan

Tuchel yes. Pep would have to mold the squad to his liking and therefore we wouldn't have signed some players/signed others. But yes, they're both much better managers than Ole. Ole wouldn't be given the job at the other two clubs, but if some weird disaster caused them to hire him, it'd probably be like a 6th-8th finish. Ole is good at man management (at least in most cases - DVB aside) but isn't ruthless enough (Lingard) or good enough tactically (still having the same issues 3 years later) to be compared to top managers.

ReddBalls

Ole is good at man management (at least in most cases - DVB aside)
Weird how DvdB apparently is happy to sit on the bench and not kick up a fuss if Ole is doing a bad job man managing him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Good thread that will become the usual ole in vs ole out discussion, no doubt.

It would depend but I think our squad is good enough to challenge and/or win the title.

hobbers

Of course they would. Whether Ole would win a prem/cl with city and chelsea’s squad.... nah probably not.

Deery

Dreary
Tuchel yes. Pep would have to mold the squad to his liking and therefore we wouldn't have signed some players/signed others. But yes, they're both much better managers than Ole. Ole wouldn't be given the job at the other two clubs, but if some weird disaster caused them to hire him, it'd probably be like a 6th-8th finish. Ole is good at man management (at least in most cases - DVB aside) but isn't ruthless enough (Lingard) or good enough tactically (still having the same issues 3 years later) to be compared to top managers.
:lol: You’re going to be murdered for that post.

Abraxas

The problem with questions like this is it requires so many extrapolations it's hard to understand where the analysis ends and complete fantasy begins.

For a start, we don't even know which if any are more likely to win with their current squad, nevermind the United squad that they've had no input on developing. Then there's Liverpool that are very much in the picture but unaccounted for within the question. If we can't convincingly say one of these guys is a massive favourite then how can we run an argument that they'd be favourites to win under completely different circumstances?

Ole hasn't won a title so how can we say he's going to go somewhere else and win one? It's a hurdle he has not crossed. He'd have a chance, of course he would, but you'd have to say it's a lower chance than they currently have.

Kag

Any other manager on the planet would have yeeted the likes of James, Mata, Lingard etc & gone all in for a DM and then yes, they'd have won the league.
For all you know Ole desperately wants a midfielder and has no issue with ‘yeeting’ the likes of James and Lingard (Mata’s role is markedly different at this stage of his career). But Ole isn’t in charge of the finances; he doesn’t sell the players.

By this time tomorrow it’s very possible that the aforementioned players are no longer at the club.

My hunch is that we’d have a new midfielder if the club had the stomach to bring one in.

Kag

As for the OP, probably not. They’d challenge, as I expect us to under Ole’s management. But the midfield issue is too great at this stage.

The forum is a tad boring at the moment, mind. The relentless negativity surrounding the manager just isn’t supported by the results. Lots of reactionary conjecture targeted towards things that haven’t even happened yet. Way too many dodgy hypotheticals.

Irwin99

Yes but Ole would probably get very close/win the league with that City Squad.

Could see Pep turning Shaw into a midfielder and I bet he'd love Lindelof.

TsuWave

I feel like Tuchel would get us playing some good football

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think Tuchel or Pep would win the league and challenge heavily in Europe with this current United squad yes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nobody would definitely win the title win any of those sides as those teams all have flaws and face tough competition.

Obviously the vast majority of people would say Pep & Tuchel (and indeed Klopp) would be more likely to win the title with those teams than Solskjaer, as they're proven (to varying extents) in a way he isn't isn't. In truth there are few teams in the league whose fans would think bringing Solskjaer in would be an improvement.

We know this though. If you're backing Solskjaer to be a top level manager then (unless you're detached from reality) you know you're doing so against the tide of opinion among football fans. You might be right or you might be wrong but you can't reasonably think that on paper he matches up to them in a way anyone other than a Manchester United fan would think comparable. Instead you're hoping he's a better fit for this particular club than those managers would be in a way that has yet to fully materialise on the pitch.

largelyworried

Pep, certainly. Tuchel would at least do better than Ole. It’s debatable whether either of them could have done as well as Ole has done taking us from the diabolical state that Jose left us in to where we are now. But in terms of simply taking the players available to them and moulding them into something better than Ole can, for sure. No one who watched the tactical void of the weekends game can surely doubt that

Neither of those managers had perfect squads last year. Pep’s strikers (Jesus and Aguero) scored just 13 goals between them. City still finished top scorers, won the league and set a new record for consecutive wins.

Tuchel should be a case study in what difference a manager can make. When he took over Chelsea were seen as a team with an open barn door for a defence. In the CL they only conceded two goals in the entire knockout stage in winning the competition.

Both would improve our ability to move the ball constructively from back to front, which would result in more goals scored and more games won.

Cathy Ferguson

I hope that I am proven wrong but I do not think any manager can win the PL or the CL with McFred and AWB in the line up, not least Ole. What is in our favour is that we have a great squad and can rotate the front 4, but the team lacks balance.

RedDevilzFox

Without a doubt in my mind. Someone like Pep/Klopp would NOT prioritize buying Jadon Sancho and would get a proper MF instead and walk their way to PL title with this squad. Its easily more talented than Liverpool and at least as talented (IMO more) than City.

YikesSchmeics

Pep would struggle with our imbalanced squad. Tuchel could possibly do it, we have a very strong defence who could do well under him.
Ole would struggle at city without a striker as would almost any other manager. He could possibly do well with Chelsea although he doesn’t seem to fancy Lukaku, so who knows how that would play out. Plus he’s never challenged for a title before so that’s certainly against him.
I know it's "only Norway" but Ole has won the league a couple of times. And he did it with the unfancied Molde so not like he was winning a 1 team league or anything.

tomaldinho1

You can't definitively say yes or no but I think it's logical to think we'd be better than we are right now, 3 seasons in and £400m odd spent.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Yes. Pretty sure they would get rid of the deadwood in the squad (or at least stop playing them), set a standard that demands more from the players & have an identity to the football we play. The midfield issue would likely be addressed through recruitment or tactical adjustments & I think we would be far more consistent in our performances that would allow a sustained, genuine title challenge & probably at least 1 win if they were given 3 years.

LoneStar

I don't think Pep will be happy at all with this team. He needs quality midfielders and attacking fullbacks. Our midfield and RB would have driven him mad.

The likes of Klopp and Tuchel would fare much better. No coach or team can guarantee success, but United + one of these managers would have the highest probability.

Pickle85

Wait, so you think that Ole would finish between 6-8 with city's squad which is (imo) better than ours. Despite the fact that he finished 2nd last year with ours?

Logic.

ghagua

Yes, they would, but if not they would be very close. They will actually have a style of play and have the team performing instead of the shit show we put up against Southampton and Wolves. We won the game, but we did not create a proper chance the entire game. If Wolves were able to finish, we would have lost that game yesterday.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

1) Donny could have left on loan if he wanted to. He chose to stay. Clearly he does not feel mistreated. Man management is about keeping your staff and players happy and motivated. That they feel they have someone who's got their back and will help them achieve their goals. Manchester United enjoys a very happy squad, for the first time in nearly a decade
2) Lingard left on loan. Lingard is on 75k a week. West Ham have not wanted to pay a fee for Jesse. We can't sell players unless we get bids. Ole does not sell players, it's not his job. He did yeet Sanchez, Smalling and Fellaini out of the club at first opportunity though.
3) He's clueless tactically. Maybe worst manager in the Premier League. Except for making a habit of beating both Pep and Tuchel nearly every time we play their teams. You don't PE teacher your way into doing that. Some of our games are not great, I'm going to blame the players on the pitch

As for who could have won the prem with this team: Klopp, Pep, Tuchel, Dyche, Potter and Moyes could all win the league with this squad.

We got 2nd in the league last season, third before that. Are you saying that Manchester Citys squad is that much worse than ours in those seasons? I don't understand this placement argument

pav1790

These are ifs and buts. Ole is uniquely suited to the situation united were in post Jose. Whether he's the man to take us to the promised land again, I don't know. But he's got a right to show us if he can on the back of what he's done - without folks out here making a thread like this every other week.