Would you accept a straight swap between Mason Greenwood and Jadon Sancho?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Totally agree with everything you’ve said - and it’s well articulated.

I think, my main argument about why it’s close is the premium on goal scoring / finishing - and that’s the bit I think Mason is ahead of Sancho (as you’ve said Sancho more complete all round).

The degree to which Mason is clinical is the bit that sets him apart - he is so good at a) finding space b) manouvering the ball and his body into shooting positions c) use either foot and d) hit it so cleanly. Defenders don’t seem to know how to deal with him. And as a viewer, I’m often struggling to even figure out how he’s scored.

Sancho on the other hand (just talking about finishing) is a bit more ‘routine’ with his finishes - ie his finishes look like ‘good finishes’ he gets into the right spot, or has beaten a number of players. So as a viewer I’m less in awe. But maybe that’s actually the point - he makes it look so easy.

Anyway I’m probably not articulating my point that well. And I 100% want Sancho!
I think you’ve put your finger on something really interesting there. He’s scored a few goals this season that make me think he might be a genuinely unique calibre of finisher.

His most recent goal was one of them. Low at the near post but far away from the post that you think it should be saved. Each time you watch it thinking, that’s going to be saved. Yet, somehow, the keeper can’t get near it. I’ve watched loads of great finishers over the years but honestly can’t remember anyone who regularly scored goals like that. It’s really strange to watch.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think Greenwood could be the better player so no.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Answered your own question really
Embarrassing is too strong word imo. Would you swap Maguire for Huth or De Gea for Joe Hart would be embarrassing.
We are here talking about 2 future world class players.

Member 113277

Proven EPL goal scorer with immense potential v someone playing in Germany.

I'd think about it for a nano-second before dismissing the idea.

Joseunited

No.Especially when he scores the goal tomorrow to get us champions league football and the money to buy Sancho.

RKEANE16

Absolutely not. I haven't been this excited about a young player for a long time. I genuinely don't think I've ever seen someone strike a ball as well as he does. Just flies straight into the corner like an arrow. Crazy

Flanders Devil

I think you’ve put your finger on something really interesting there. He’s scored a few goals this season that make me think he might be a genuinely unique calibre of finisher.

His most recent goal was one of them. Low at the near post but far away from the post that you think it should be saved. Each time you watch it thinking, that’s going to be saved. Yet, somehow, the keeper can’t get near it. I’ve watched loads of great finishers over the years but honestly can’t remember anyone who regularly scored goals like that. It’s really strange to watch.
Yeah that’s it - and the number of goals he seems to score at the near post is another thing that is a bit unique to him.
After the first couple, you would think keepers would clue on it - yet he keeps scoring in that fashion.
The other point about defenders not knowing what to do was evident to me during (I think) the Bournemouth game when their keeper blasted the defender who was showing Mason onto his ‘weaker‘ right foot, and the defender kind of shrugged as if saying “I was doing what I was told” but the strike was just too good.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Probably not a popular argument, but you could argue to just stick with Greenwood on RW and bring in a central defender, central midfielder, left back and maybe Grealish. Greenwood needs game time.

He is not as good as Sancho at the present, but he will always be a huge goal threath. Furthermore, the way he is developing he might get better if we let him.

Would our team be better with Sancho on RW and no other new players or Greenwood on RW and a good central defender (Konate, Upamecano or Ake) and central midfielder (Rice, Zakaria take your pick)?

In an ideal world we would be able to raise £100 mill from sales and spend something like £200-250m on new players. But we obviously will not.