Would you accept risking 2nd place....

lysglimt

Scout
... if OGS decide to give some youngsters minutes in the last 2 games ?

Theoretically - United are 2 points ahead of Leicester and 4-5 ahead of Chelsea (Fulham are already relegated and Villa is mid-table with nothing to fight for) - Chelsea and Leicester are facing each other so we are more or less guaranteed 3rd place worst scenario.

Would you want United to risk 2nd place - if that meant giving Hannibal, Shoretire, Amad their first start in either of the matches ?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Last two games will likely be in front of fans, so I expect most managers to play close to full strength to try and maintain support. Not sure why you would throw these players in against Wolves away, unless they are your best option. There's still a possibility our final home game ends up being against Leicester too, whereby GW37 fixtures stay where they are and GW36 fixtures are the ones to be pushed back.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I expect us to beat LC at home and that should wrap up 2nd.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If United reach EL final I can see Ole not risking complications for some players, especially Rash and Cavani.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is the value of giving these players those particular games?

Tarrou

nah

getting second, whilst not that important compared to third, would still mean progress and be good for confidence

if they are good enough they'll get chances under Ole, no need to force the matter

AgentSmith

I’d like certain players to get a rest (Rashford, Bruno, AWB) when possible but we have back-ups who need minutes on the pitch within the squad already without having to dip into the youth set up.

SER19

I don’t care if we finish 2nd or 3rd if it means we win the Europa. I want a trophy.
At the start of season i said good acceptable progress would be being far closer to top, scoring more goals and winning a trophy. I just want to see Solskjaer win here

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes without a doubt. It would give us a better indication of how to plan for next season IMO.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We need four points to be guaranteed Champions League football. Once that's done everything should be put into trying to win the Europa League. Whether we finish second, third or fourth doesn't really matter with City running away with the title does it?

Farfetched

No; to finish a higher place in the league than last season would show the squad is in an upward trajectory. Then to continue next season with the upward trajectory would yield the desired prize.

lysglimt

Scout
We need four points to be guaranteed Champions League football. Once that's done everything should be put into trying to win the Europa League. Whether we finish second, third or fourth doesn't really matter with City running away with the title does it?
Nah - with West Hams GD - we need 3. And that requires West Ham winning 5 games in a row, which wont happen.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Guarantee 3rd spot so no stupid pre qualification in July, let the lads have a bit of a summer break then go all in on the Europa

K Stand Knut

Guarantee 3rd spot so no stupid pre qualification in July, let the lads have a bit of a summer break then go all in on the Europa
I like this suggestion in theory but the reality is that they all then go away for the Euros and suffer burnout no matter

Jacob

No way. There are better opportunities to give minutes. One doesn't exclude the other though. Let them play if we're comfortable.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Theoretically - United are 2 points ahead of Leicester and 4-5 ahead of Chelsea (Fulham are already relegated and Villa is mid-table with nothing to fight for) - Chelsea and Leicester are facing each other so we are more or less guaranteed 3rd place worst scenario.

Would you want United to risk 2nd place - if that meant giving Hannibal, Shoretire, Amad their first start in either of the matches ?
No

Bertie Wooster

I'm desperate for us to win a trophy, so the priority has to be the remaining Europa League games. And, if we get to the final, we should be looking to manage the workload of the likes of Rashford, Fernandes, Shaw, etc, in the build up to it.

Part of being a manager at United is delivering results while integrating the most talented academy products. So it shouldn't be an either / or for finishing 2nd from our current position while also finding some game time later in the season for Amad, especially, and also Mejbri and Shoretire as well.

They shouldn't be starting games if there's a suspicion it'll be at the expense of results until 2nd (or as least 3rd) is guaranteed. And they shouldn't all be thrown on at the same time if the results in the balance - and if the result effects league position. But giving them some well judged sub appearances at times when it's possible - and maybe the odd start for Amad (the most ready) at some point - should be doable.

Last edited:

joedirt87

i don't this happening until the league position is set in stone, then if theres a chance or two to play them he will.

Artorias

This. If the 3rd spot is set, then give the kids some time and rest vital players (please let Rashford rest and heal for his injury).

gajender

This. If the 3rd spot is set, then give the kids some time and rest vital players (please let Rashford rest and heal for his injury).

Pre qualification for what exactly ,all top 4 teams go directly to Champions League since 2018-19 campaign.

Tallis

I want 2nd place and the Europa. Youngsters can wait till pre-season or next season.

RedDevilzFox

Last two games will likely be in front of fans, so I expect most managers to play close to full strength to try and maintain support. Not sure why you would throw these players in against Wolves away, unless they are your best option. There's still a possibility our final home game ends up being against Leicester too, whereby GW37 fixtures stay where they are and GW36 fixtures are the ones to be pushed back.
What planet are you living on?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
2nd is a painful position to be in. So close yet so far. If we drop to a comfortable third just so some of the young lads can gain some experience that won't be such a terrible thing.

justsomebloke

No.

RedDevilzFox

The Premier League are planning for the final two fixtures of the season to be in front of a certain number of home fans, stadium dependent.

It’s obviously dependent on the infection levels closer to the time but the current situation (as well as the rate of vaccination) is very promising.
Not a chance in hell this happens. With Indian variants starting to spread, brace for it.

Siorac

There are two problems with this:

Champions League play-offs (where the Premier League's 4th-placed team used to start) always took place in August, not July.

Also, the Premier League's 4th-placed team now automatically qualifies for the group stage like the other three.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Amad should start. His position would do the least damage. The likes of Hannibal and Shoretire can come off the bench if we are in a comfortable lead

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yes without a doubt. It would give us a better indication of how to plan for next season IMO.
If only there was a way outside of a league match to gauge a football players ball playing activity :(

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
2nd will be taken from us quite easily. It's not something we will decide to throw away.

Leicester win tomorrow and the gap is 2 points if we lose to Liverpool, which is likely given we'll have one eye on Europe and this is their last, last chance at a top 4 push. Then we play Leicester who dicked us a few weeks ago and seem to be the only team who don't shit the bed against our "comeback" reputation.

Deery

Dreary
I wouldn’t still a lot to play for and I wouldn’t be getting complacent just yet, maybe if second is secure give them a run out last game of the season.

Jezpeza

If our only chance of winning the europa league is to ‘rest players’ then we aren't going to win it anyway. We dont need a masterplan to lift that trophy.

Quietly confident we can dick any team left in the competition quite easily but its cup football

hobbers

Yeah we wont need to make any extra effort to throw away second place...

Liverpool, Leicester, away to Villa and to Wolves.

RedIan

I want to finish 2nd and win the europa, play the strongest teams every game, not many left and i think ole will.

Green_Red

I don't see why not. I'd like us to finish as well as we can but we're in a good position to help their development then go for it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If only there was a way outside of a league match to gauge a football players ball playing activity :(
There is, which is why we're at the stage where the question is being asked.

Gauging a player's ball playing ability is also different to guaging a young players suitability to play in the first team.