Would you be ok with finishing outside the top 4

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not really but as it stands it looks like the "Race for 4th" is the most open and exciting than it has for years.
United
Chelsea
Arsenal
Everton
Leicester
Wolves
Maybe even West Ham

What a time to be alive!

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
For someone who went through the Utd-Arsenal rivalry from 98-05 it’s hard to imagine this kind of post on a Utd forum let alone having Arsenal and Utd in 5th and 6th place respectively.

Can’t imagine any situation where a club with the wealth and profile of Utd should be happy outside the top 4. That kind of shit belongs to Spurs and Pool.

R'hllor

Hate to repeat myself but personally i dont give a feck about top 4 nonsense if its not 1st. Progression, something when season ends, we can look at it and say "yea i can see where this leads and i cant fecking wait", sorry but if those in charge dont betray the vision, we have to build ourselfs back up to the top.

My stance will never change, when it comes to goals, 5th plus FA cup > 4th any day of the week, i understand winning regardless of how is important but for some reason it doesnt do us any good in a long run, maybe its time to have wins as a result of our performances on the pitch.

We tried to fix our issues with throwing money away, didnt work. We tried to have one of biggest winners at the helm, winning spite of performances and things happening on the pitch, didnt work. We didnt learn from it, so we tried same shit under Ole, where performances were sacrificed the moment top 4 was at our reach and how that went at the end? We tried to hop from one manager to another, with almost no similarities between them, it didnt work. So can we for the love of God at least once try and let the DNA of this football club dictates the paths we gonna take into the future.

When it comes to youngsters, often you can read "not good enough" line in here, not good enough for who exactly? Did some of you just woke up from 6 years coma or what. It was never a question about youngsters being good enough or not, they are not worse than some seniors we have, on top of it as a bonus, they are on lower wages and they have potential maybe just maybe to be improved and shaped into proper United players. Also, when people try to defend a team selection, they throw "they are not ready" line, please, do you see what some of those experienced heads are doing during a game!? If kids are not ready in your mind just because of their age, what to say about some older ones, they are ready but shit?

All above i am talking from our perspective, in our current situation not in general. So top 4, why it seems so important.

For owners like Glazers and Kroenke, guess its money related. For United fans, some say it is, so we could attract world class players, sure but did you check our transfer dealings with CL and no CL on the table (post SAF)? I mean, its actually funny to go through those names we signed. Also, if i am not wrong, we managed to have CL back to back only once, ONCE. We shout about demanding players to actually wanna play for us and be here, while in the same time we use money and CL as a main lure. Maybe people just wanna watch us in CL, year in year out regardless of positive or negative impact on our future, something like Arsenal, get in CL, reach knockout, get your ass whooped by proper top tier team, same shit next year, how many back to back to back year will they be now in EL? 3? Damn, they really built on one 2nd and those 3rd and 4th spots in last 10 plus years.

DoomSlayer

I'm all for using the youngsters and youth players instead of the underperformers (Matic, Mata, Lingard, Jones, Rojo, etc.). If that means loads of goals scored and conceded, leading us to be outside of top 4, so be it.

As long as we have the deadwood players on obscene wages, no proper rebuild can be done so if people are unhappy, make sure to aim the anger and frustration towards those that are actually responsible for our current situation.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Liverpool have proved you don't need to finish top 4 to progress.

Who gives a feck about top 4 tbh? I don't get the obsession with it. 4th place for what? So we can just get knocked out of the CL in the round of 16? Fat load of good that did Arsenal.

We should be building something for the future with the potential to win trophies. I want that to include the likes of Mason and Angel and other academy lads. If it means coming 5th before reaching the potential then so be it.

VanGaalyTime

If it meant exciting attacking football and the young players such as Tuanzebe, Garner, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood all got a proper chance in the first team?

Personally I would take that happily. The approach of signing ready made stars and safety first football we've had since Fergie retired has been awful to endure, despite relative success on occasion.

I know it's easy to get carried away with young players, but it feels like we have a real crop of talented youngsters coming through and it'd be great to see them get a proper crack and playing the right way, even if it means finishing 5/6/7th.
When have we signed ready made stars? The one season we spent according to our wealth? Pogba? 2016, when we spent almost 150m is the one window where I thought the Glazers understood. After years of under investing I thought they realized we needed to buy proper world class players. We should be doing that every window. If we'd done it since 2009 we would be at city's level now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yes, if the young players show significant development and the football is exciting. We are no lomger a top 4 club.

Bobski

A sign of progression and of a true plan in place would make it acceptable. This last 6 years has seen Utd driven by panic, lurching from one philosophy to another, committing to nothing, hoping that throwing money at star names on the pitch and dugout would kickstart us back to the top. It has been a denial to accept the need for a true transition period, with
long term plans on how we want to play, what type of player and character fits that decision and staying with it through the bumps.

LVG, had the right idea, but it was a few years too late for him. Instead of going for a clown like Mourinho they should have identified a manger with a similar concept to LVG, looked to continue along the same path. Problem is now, post Mou, our wage structure is destination fecked.

Finish 6th, but with guys like Greenwood, Gomes, Bissaka, Tunazebe progessing, Rashford, Martial, Shaw and Lindelof maturing further, starting to take on leadership roles and we might have a solid basis to build on.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Frankly speaking even if we buy and play the established player, we may not finish top 4 anyway. So I wouldn't mind play the youngster instead and finished at 6th again.

laughtersassassin

Nope cause we are showing no ambition. You will never get to the top making the moves we are. Money isn't everything but right now City has spent as much money as us after coming 1st. We have arguably 6 holes in our first team and fixed 1 so far. 3 or 4 would be the minimum acceptable if we were even trying to improve. Ole has been hung out to dry by the owners. He has no chance to succeed with what he has been given.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I’d take a mid table finish if it meant having a group of players that fight for the shirt and stick together, that care for and have pride in their performances.

I can cope with losing but not lack of effort, players sulking about the pitch and talking crap in the media.

chb23

We must finish top 4.

Last season we were nearly there. That was with Mourinho sabotaging the season and De Gea brain farts at the end of the season.

There is no valid reason why we should finish outside top 4.

Alabaster Codify7

We won't finish top 4. I've accepted that. We'll be fortunate to finish 6th again with the squad we currently have.

I actually think this season will see a breaking of the mould in terms of top 4, but only for one season.

My prediction is:

City
Liverpool
Spurs
Wolves

It'll be a three way fight between us, Arsenal and Chelsea for 5th place. We might well win that tussle, as Chelsea are in a worse position than us due to losing Hazard and having a transfer ban and Arsenal could go either way. If they buy a top CB, I'd back them to push for 4th actually.

R'hllor

Watch some try to spin how people dont mind us being 6th till end of time if we play great football, doubt any United fan is for.

deleon

No, because we had a good chance of finishing top 3/4 before the summer started: a new manager that had time to identify the areas which needed strengthening; a shift in recruitment strategy aimed at bringing in more suitable players; an intent, signaled as early as last season, to hire a DOF that would facilitate the new recruitment strategy; a supposedly large transfer budget because muted activities the previous summer; and a unique situation where neither Chelsea nor Arsenal could recruit freely (although the Arsenal part might be false if they can afford both Tierney and Pepe).

If we end up finishing outside the top four, it would be because of our lack of ambition/competence in the transfer market, not because we placed too much reliance on youth. I imagine the OP did not want this thread to turn into another one about people moaning about transfers, but my point is that given the overall room for improvement in current our squad, we are entering a season where could have both strengthened properly, and given youth a chance. If we only do the latter and fail, I would be happy that we did at least that, but still be discontent overall because we could have done so much more.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

No, i don't think so.

Look at the state of Arsenal and Chelsea. As for Spurs, most people here shrug them off as bottlers. This is the competition we'll probably face next season. And you're telling me it's fine to finish outside the top-four because we'll supposedly play attractive football and score more goals. Imagine if the two London clubs manage to get their shite together. Might as well call it a day an accept the fact that, right now, we're as much a threat to City as Everton is to Liverpool. A mere nuisance, happy to win the odd game now and then just so the most hateful enemy doesn't win the league.

Any position on the table outside the top-two is up for grabs. We almost did it last season when we were absolute dross. Progression means more points via more convincing performances. There's no one to fear. The manager himself spoke of short-term goals that have to be met and i agree with him. Scoring lots of goals while conceding even more goals isn't progress, it's a fecking circus. And United is about blending youngsters into the first team to gain experience and eventually pick up the baton. It's not about throwing them into the deep end because the men in charge need two months to sign a centre-half.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We must finish top 4.

Last season we were nearly there. That was with Mourinho sabotaging the season and De Gea brain farts at the end of the season.

There is no valid reason why we should finish outside top 4.
Unfortunately there are 6 teams that can say the same thing and 3 others (Wolves, Leicester, Everton) with a similar quality to our best 11 who won't be far behind.

edgar allan

I’d take a mid table finish if it meant having a group of players that fight for the shirt and stick together, that care for and have pride in their performances.

I can cope with losing but not lack of effort, players sulking about the pitch and talking crap in the media.
Plucky losers?

edgar allan

Who gives a feck about top 4 tbh? I don't get the obsession with it. 4th place for what? So we can just get knocked out of the CL in the round of 16? Fat load of good that did Arsenal.

We should be building something for the future with the potential to win trophies. I want that to include the likes of Mason and Angel and other academy lads. If it means coming 5th before reaching the potential then so be it.
When you read that you can really see how the Glaziers have succeeded in lowering the expectations of the fans so far.

Halal Jalal

Seriously? Finances aside (we're stll rich enough even without the CL money), it's a question of prestige. Top clubs compete in Champions League, no exceptions. Not qualifying for the tournament once in a while can be considered a temporary crisis, but failing to do so repeatedly signifies fall into irrelevancy - just look at AC Milan, they're pretty much a forgotten club now, no one cares about their history anymore. We were already punished for it this summer. Instead of getting De Ligt for 65 million, we're forced to pay more for an older and inferior centreback. Lack of CL also means we can't sign Sancho for example, who would solve our long-term RW problem for a decade.

Infra-red

For someone who went through the Utd-Arsenal rivalry from 98-05 it’s hard to imagine this kind of post on a Utd forum let alone having Arsenal and Utd in 5th and 6th place respectively.

Can’t imagine any situation where a club with the wealth and profile of Utd should be happy outside the top 4. That kind of shit belongs to Spurs and Pool.
It's not our wealth that's the problem, it's our total lack of competence, particularly in senior management levels. They simply are not capable of running a football club to a high standard, which is what finishing top four regularly in the Premier League demands. Fans accepting that 5th/6th is our new reality is simply a reflection of this.

edgar allan

It's not our wealth that's the problem, it's our total lack of competence, particularly in senior management levels. They simply are not capable of running a football club to a high standard, which is what finishing top in the Premier League regularly demands. Fans accepting that 5th/6th is our new reality is simply a reflection of that.
Senior Management do what they are told by the owners, you are blaming the middlemen.

wolvored

Seriously? Finances aside (we're stll rich enough even without the CL money), it's a question of prestige. Top clubs compete in Champions League, no exceptions. Not qualifying for the tournament once in a while can be considered a temporary crisis, but failing to do so repeatedly signifies fall into irrelevancy - just look at AC Milan, they're pretty much a forgotten club now, no one cares about their history anymore. We were already punished for it this summer. Instead of getting De Ligt for 65 million, we're forced to pay more for an older and inferior centreback. Lack of CL also means we can't sign Sancho for example, who would solve our long-term RW problem for a decade.
De Ligt said all along Barca then Juve because of Ronaldo, his idol. Never mentioned once he wanted to come here and thats probably why an half assed attempt to appease the fans wasnt done. Everything else you said I agree with. If we had have finished 4th Sancho probably would have wanted to sign, if we could have agreed a fee with Dortmund, but I doubt the owners would have stumped up over £100 million for him. We would probably still be haggling around £10-15 million short of the mark, bit like Maguire, so Woody could say, "well I tried".

fergosaurus

I think we're relying far too much on the kids stepping up and having good seasons. When the class of 92 came through we had a wealth of genuine leaders in the team with class and experience. As things stand we ultimately have the same shithouses in our squad as last season minus one of our most mentally strong players in Herrera. When the youth players suffer an inevitable dip in form who do they have to look up to and give them advice? We needed a few ready-made players in the Maguire/Fernandes calibre at the very minimum and there would still be game time for the youth if the likes of Mata and Lingard continue to be shite.

edgar allan

De Ligt said all along Barca then Juve because of Ronaldo, his idol. Never mentioned once he wanted to come here and thats probably why an half assed attempt to appease the fans wasnt done. Everything else you said I agree with. If we had have finished 4th Sancho probably would have wanted to sign, if we could have agreed a fee with Dortmund, but I doubt the owners would have stumped up over £100 million for him. We would probably still be haggling around £10-15 million short of the mark, bit like Maguire, so Woody could say, "well I tried".
100% but remember Woody is paid to do exactly that by the Glaziers

Halal Jalal

Yeah, but we would still be in much better position to compete for his signature with CL football - it's not just about De Ligt though, but the best available transfer deals in general. They won't come to play against FC Traktor on a Thursday night.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No.

The academy excites me but I’ve been on this forum for long enough to see that some people at times put lots of minutes for their latest favourite youth players than anything else in the team. Most of those players have whittled away to nothing now.

We need to qualify for the Champions League next season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
100% but remember Woody is paid to do exactly that by the Glaziers
Yep, they recently changed his job description as you weren’t saying this when we were breaking spending records.

edgar allan

Yep, they recently changed his job description as you weren’t saying this when we were breaking spending records.
Average it out over their tenure and it isn't at all impressive.
Then contrast it with the money the club has made over that time and it is truly a scandal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Average it out over their tenure and it isn't at all impressive.
Then contrast it with the money the club has made over that time and it is truly a scandal.
I guess. I was more speaking of Woody’s tenure, but I guess over the Glazers reign as a whole, you’re right. Tbh, I won’t defend those leeches anyway.

Eli Zee

We will all be okay if we finish outside top 4... most of us won’t die of a heart attack if the season ends and we are 5th or worse.

Will we be happy about it? Don’t think so.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Yes. The dominant premier league team not making CL repeatedly since Fergie left is crazy. It's like Juventus/Real/Bayern etc not making CL. It should be unthinkable.