Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Compare that to which other high end club that offers better security? Name the club please? Chelsea? Bayern?
In general we would be attractive of course, but if we sack Ole now we would have sacked two managers in 10 months, one serial winner and one fan favorite. Consider that and the state of the squad and it does not sound very attractive to me. People always bang on about the risks of not attracting top players, but if we sack Ole now i fear we might risk attracting top managers

The club wont collapse if we end up mid table. As strange as it sounds i would rather end up 12th than 6th since Thursday football is often disruptive in terms of league form, especially when you have to travel to Eastern Europe

If we come May and there are zero signs of improvement then an eventual sacking will look much more natural and justified and any future manager will at least know they can expect a full season to improve this mess

Eric7C

The 'Ole out' group sound a bit desperate about the results of the poll like it actually matters. I don't know what it says because i haven't voted, i imagine it's relatively high on 'sack' because it's full of those need to shout about it every day.
Thanks for telling us what kind of supporters we are.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Thanks for telling us what kind of supporters we are.
So sick and tired of this 'top red' nonsense from some posters. They act like Ole is second coming of some legendary manager.

Sacking Ole won't solve the whole issue but that doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve it.

Eric7C

So sick and tired of this 'top red' nonsense from some posters. They act like Ole is second coming of some legendary manager.

Sacking Ole won't solve the whole issue but that doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve it.
Yep, he/she admits to not even knowing what the poll says but feels confident enough to lecture us nevertheless. Explains some of the Ole-inners here; to them an already determined ideology is what counts, not evidence.

Foxbatt

If there was any justification for sacking Jose and it was the right decision then why is it wrong to sack Ole?

ILC

If there was any justification for sacking Jose and it was the right decision then why is it wrong to sack Ole?
Apparently a failed Cardiff manager has a better plan and knows how to build a real winner compared to that loser Mourinho.

/sarcasm off

Don't get me wrong, Jose was rightfully sacked. But this excuse for a manager deserved it a long time ago.

Foxbatt

I really can't understand what's the logic behind keeping Ole? Or any good footballing reason.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I really can't understand what's the logic behind keeping Ole? Or any good footballing reason.
Woodward doesn't have the balls to sack Ole because it'll make him look bad. It's his fault, rushy decision.

b82REZ

Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer did 14 wins in 19 games when he took over as caretaker manager, has no one been reminded of this?

The team has a slightly younger edge to it, but you can't peg missing on our goals all on transferring Lukaku out to Inter who only scored 12 goals that season and came on mostly as a sub anyway.

Our key performers, Pogba, Martial are injured, as is Bailly until end of the season. This French connection is seriously missed.
The powerhouse defense duo of Phil Jones and Chris Smalling which resembled Vidic and Rio Ferdinand is not in place anymore.

Man United need to hold on to a manager, especially one such as Ole for at least a couple of seasons. That has been our problem in the past and we are all short-run motivated for being the best immediately, it doesn't happen overnight!
I believe Woodward will give Solsjaker the time, which is essential for our team to improve and develop. Let him bring in some big names and in a season or two we will be untouchable even playing our second team.
No white text, or are you just blatantly on the WUM?

Evans999

Sad to say I think Ole is out of his depth.

I also think Ole deep down probably realizes now he's out of his depth.

There's also 12 Players clearly out of their depth.
Ed Woodward is painfully out of his depth.

So is Ole really out of his depth?

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer did 14 wins in 19 games when he took over as caretaker manager, has no one been reminded of this?

The team has a slightly younger edge to it, but you can't peg missing on our goals all on transferring Lukaku out to Inter who only scored 12 goals that season and came on mostly as a sub anyway.

Our key performers, Pogba, Martial are injured, as is Bailly until end of the season. This French connection is seriously missed.
The powerhouse defense duo of Phil Jones and Chris Smalling which resembled Vidic and Rio Ferdinand is not in place anymore.

Man United need to hold on to a manager, especially one such as Ole for at least a couple of seasons. That has been our problem in the past and we are all short-run motivated for being the best immediately, it doesn't happen overnight!
I believe Woodward will give Solsjaker the time, which is essential for our team to improve and develop. Let him bring in some big names and in a season or two we will be untouchable even playing our second team.
In those 14 wins, the majority of time the football wasn’t great, we rode our luck plenty of times.

Lukaku started 22 league games and was used as a substitute 10 times last season. So he wasn’t mostly used as a sub.

Whilst key performers have been missing at times, the French connection of Martial and Pogba were involved in defeats last season against, Arsenal, Wolves x 2, Man City, Cardiff and the 4-0 at Everton. Also both were present in the lose v Palace at home this season.

Bailly, barely looks like a professional footballer these days, I say he isn’t missed and not a key performer when fit.

I’m sure nobody has ever thought of Jones & Smalling as a ‘defensive powerhouse duo’ much less resemble Vidic & Rio.

I don’t think Ole has shown anyone that with some big name signings and one or two seasons, we’d become untouchable, at the moment we’re more likely to become unwatchable.

I’m not convinced you’re a United fan.

MisterLupus

Sad to say I think Ole is out of his depth.

I also think Ole deep down probably realizes now he's out of his depth.

There's also 12 Players clearly out of their depth.
Ed Woodward is painfully out of his depth.

So is Ole really out of his depth?
These are the conundrums which haunts us yes and causes all this back and forth. If the players aren't up to standard and the board is hampering our chances too - is it fair to blame the manager? But even though these things are true - does that mean the manager should be absolved? To quote the great Bill Bailey - "These are my worries". The truth is probably somewhere in the middle - which is why I operate with a set of targets rather than just speculations.

Get us well clear of relegation by Christmas - give him the January window. Match the form of our top-four rivals by May - give him the summer. Solidify us back into the top four by next Christmas - okay he might be on to something here let's see this project out.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
I’m calling for the head of Ole because his football is a dull a LVG’s and his tactics are as cowardly as Mourinho’s. I’ll back someone coming good if I believe in them. I don’t believe in Ole and I don’t care about his Brexit United long term vision. It really isn’t that exciting. Maguire and AWB might excite most. But my favourite defender was Rio not Steve Bruce. My favourite forward was Cantona and RVN not Solskjaer and wingers Giggs and and Beckham not Park Ji Sung. So if he thinks I’m drawling at the mouth thinking about hardworking humble players with arrogance (like that’s even a thing) he can move up.

What exactly are you believing in? That the football will come good once he has a couple more players? His style is his style, it will be tumescent with new faces. We will sign better players? Last time I checked being a good team and attracting top players worked hand in hand. So what is it exactly? It can’t be the signings. Any manager in the league could have got us those players, I don’t see imagination in out targets.

What football related decision makes you want Ole to succeed?
Back then we had a core (class of 92) and we kept on bringing players on top of it, from attackers to defenders. The core (Scholes, Keane, Nevilles, Becks, Giggs) played in pretty much all the teams that won us all those titles during SAF's reign.

What I want to happen is to give Ole more time to find that core of players, he inherited a squad of different players brought in by different managers so the clearout, as most of us here came to admit, will take time and cannot be done over one transfer window.

We have been talking about the youth and all for all those seasons, this year Ole decided to push them to first team and as many of us saw here they are still not fully ready or let us say they were quite overhyped.

Let us wait on him at least till end of this season so he can continue the clear-out and get the players he thinks fit his ideas. The same team that went on a 9-win streak is pretty much the same team that cannot score a goal now, we talk about selling our "experienced" goalscorers, but how many goals did they score combined? How much did they contribute last year?
There is a huge responsibility on the players for looking stupid on the field, not making runs, looking at each other, waiting for the ball to magically come through to their feet. We can blame Ole as much as we want but you look at how slow our players move the ball, is this something Ole tells to the players? be slow? don't make runs? don't look for a through ball? don't create space?

I think our best 11 is an okay team to compete for top 6 and probably push for top 4 but our main problem is that we cannot keep them all fit and our squad is thin. Not expecting much out of this season but this summer should be a defining moment for the direction of the club, we just have to hope the players will realize they have to put better effort to win games.

Enigma_87

You know who
These are the conundrums which haunts us yes and causes all this back and forth. If the players aren't up to standard and the board is hampering our chances too - is it fair to blame the manager? But even though these things are true - does that mean the manager should be absolved? To quote the great Bill Bailey - "These are my worries". The truth is probably somewhere in the middle - which is why I operate with a set of targets rather than just speculations.

Get us well clear of relegation by Christmas - give him the January window. Match the form of our top-four rivals by May - give him the summer. Solidify us back into the top four by next Christmas - okay he might be on to something here let's see this project out.
If he doesn't reach the first target we're in a deep trouble which might require more resources and panic buys in January to fix that which will make us in a much worse position in the long run.

Sometimes you need to act in advance, otherwise it's too late.

There's no indication things will get better with him at helm.

MisterLupus

If he doesn't reach the first target we're in a deep trouble which might require more resources and panic buys in January to fix that which will make us in a much worse position in the long run.

Sometimes you need to act in advance, otherwise it's too late.

There's no indication things will get better with him at helm.
I believe we're at the point where we'll need more resources and panic buys in January anyways. In fact we were at that point this summer already - it's was an exercise in delusions leading to them not compromising and reinforcing those areas back then. If he doesn't reach that first target I'm changing my vote anyways - we need to do an emergency maneuver if that's the case. I'm not feeling so desperate I'm willing to throw it all aside and hit the reset just yet - I knew already in August this season would be a write-off.

Enigma_87

You know who
I believe we're at the point where we'll need more resources and panic buys in January anyways. In fact we were at that point this summer already - it's was an exercise in delusions leading to them not compromising and reinforcing those areas back then. If he doesn't reach that first target I'm changing my vote anyways - we need to do an emergency maneuver if that's the case. I'm not feeling so desperate I'm willing to throw it all aside and hit the reset just yet - I knew already in August this season would be a write-off.
But if we hit the panic button in January - say bringing in players that are not the 'right ones' - on high wages, senior ones, wouldn't we be back to square one with an incompetent manager at helm to boot?

January is incredibly hard to do business in as you know, especially the state we're in.

MisterLupus

But if we hit the panic button in January - say bringing in players that are not the 'right ones' - on high wages, senior ones, wouldn't we be back to square one with an incompetent manager at helm to boot?

January is incredibly hard to do business in as you know, especially the state we're in.
Ifs and ifs and yet more ifs. So many buts and ifs everywhere it'll make your head spin :houllier: What if we replace him now and results take an even steeper nosedive? So many ifs - it's why I'm not prepared to deal in speculations. I've set the bar - he either makes it or he doesn't. I've learned from life never to rush into a decision (well unless it's for shits and giggles at least) - and also to be cautious (within reason of course) when faced with uncertainty. And I'm not at all certain whether or not Ole and his crew are to blame for our current situations - come Christmas though if there's no improvement we've moved beyond the point where it matters hence that particular deadline.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ifs and ifs and yet more ifs. So many buts and ifs everywhere it'll make your head spin :houllier: What if we replace him now and results take an even steeper nosedive? So many ifs - it's why I'm not prepared to deal in speculations. I've set the bar - he either makes it or he doesn't. I've learned from life never to rush into a decision (well unless it's for shits and giggles at least) - and also to be cautious (within reason of course) when faced with uncertainty. And I'm not at all certain whether or not Ole and his crew are to blame for our current situations - come Christmas though if there's no improvement we've moved beyond the point where it matters hence that particular deadline.
There should be ifs and buts and the board should explore all options and prepare for certain outcomes.
This is what smart management does.

Come Christmas and we’re in a worse state you suggest we explore our options then without a preparation?

It has been more than 9 months. I’d say the deadline has passed as of now. He should be judged on match to match basis.

MisterLupus

There should be ifs and buts and the board should explore all options and prepare for certain outcomes.
This is what smart management does.

Come Christmas and we’re in a worse state you suggest we explore our options then without a preparation?

It has been more than 9 months. I’d say the deadline has passed as of now. He should be judged on match to match basis.
Never suggested that - I have no problems with them exploring options. Like you said it's always a good idea to have a contingency plan prepped and ready and especially considering the current state of us. No objections there.

RedCurry

Yes. Giving this squad to another manager will destine the future manager for a sack within a year or so. At least in Dec we can bring reinforcements and that might be a better time for someone new to step in.

Mind you, if we don't pick up points in next few games, firing him and bringing someone else might become a necessity to avoid a disaster.

UpWithRivers

Ive been thinking today and not having a go at Ole but genuinely curious. Why is Ole so shit at attacking and understanding attacking play?
Evidence -
1) Hes changed tactics to be more defensive
2) He signed only defensive players - bar James
3) He got rid of Sanchez and Lukaku
4) He placed his faith in Martial and Rashford and Greenwood being ready
5) He has pushed Pogba deeper
6) He has not improved 1 player - but you would at least think the attacking players would improve
7) He missed Haaland - you would have thought he would know how good he is and we could have got him on the cheap or at least targeted him

Nothing attacking wise has improved or worked - Its weird. Is any other manager who is an ex player sht at as manager in thier position as a player?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Yes. Giving this squad to another manager will destine the future manager for a sack within a year or so. At least in Dec we can bring reinforcements and that might be a better time for someone new to step in.

Mind you, if we don't pick up points in next few games, firing him and bringing someone else might become a necessity to avoid a disaster.
It looks under Ole the players confidence is shot to pieces. Yes the majority are average players but that's no excuse for the performances we're seeing. I know it'll never happen but as an example let's say we bring in Sancho in January along with Bruno (possible) under Ole do you think these 2 would improve the team or will their form drop of a cliff?
I'm going for the second option because Ole doesn't know how to get the best out of players.

Unless things improve drastically I'd bring in Allegri at Xmas as interim. I'd be 100% more confident he could get the players playing something that resembles football. I would trust him with players like Sancho and Bruno. There will still be plenty of games left to see what he's made of and If he does a good job then bring him on board. If not the ship will at least be steadier meaning the next manager who comes in won't have to start from zero and I do agree with you if Ole stayed until the end of the season with not much change in form the next manager will be sacked within a year.

Reactions: nimic

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It looks under Ole the players confidence is shot to pieces. Yes the majority are average players but that's no excuse for the performances we're seeing. I know it'll never happen but as an example let's say we bring in Sancho in January along with Bruno (possible) under Ole do you think these 2 would improve the team or will their form drop of a cliff?
I'm going for the second option because Ole doesn't know how to get the best out of players.

Unless things improve drastically I'd bring in Allegri at Xmas as interim. I'd be 100% more confident he could get the players playing something that resembles football. I would trust him with players like Sancho and Bruno. There will still be plenty of games left to see what he's made of and If he does a good job then bring him on board. If not the ship will at least be steadier meaning the next manager who comes in won't have to start from zero and I do agree with you if Ole stayed until the end of the season with not much change in form the next manager will be sacked within a year.
There is not a cat in hell's chance that Allegri would agree to come in as Interim.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
There is not a cat in hell's chance that Allegri would agree to come in as Interim.
If he believes in his own abilities he just might. What better way to motivate a manager than to challenge him to get the team back on track with the promise of being made United manager. At the end of the day we're still a massive club. What an ego boost it would be if he was the man to bring back the glory days. He's Italian. They love all that shit :D

MisterLupus

If he believes in his own abilities he just might. What better way to motivate a manager than to challenge him to get the team back on track with the promise of being made United manager. At the end of the day we're still a massive club. What an ego boost it would be if he was the man to bring back the glory days. He's Italian. They love all that shit :D
Yes it's proven such a great career move these last years - I'm sure that's tempting. Show him a before and after picture of Ole - that'll convince him this is some grand prize worthy of his efforts! :lol:

I think we'd have more luck promising him to become next in line after Pep at City to be honest. This club is is to managerial careers what Chernobyl was to cancer prevention.

Dr. StrangeHate

Why the hmm? I voted in that thread, and it is populated by matchgoers. Not surprised at all that the ones who actually matter, and the ones who actually put in the hard yards following the club, think that the manager who hasn't been backed to a significant degree at all, deserves more time...
These people wanted to give Moyes, LVG and Jose more time as well. Should we bring one of them back?

AC1689

I expect the vote to go to at least a 65/35 split in favour of sack if we lose tomorrow.

Sorry, when*.

John Blund

If you're in the "keep"-boat as me, you don't let a game against the best team in the world the last 12 months change your opinion to "sack" if we lose to against Liverpool. As for Ole, it still looks like the players believe we can turn this nightmare around. I don't see us losing 0-4 to Liverpool, I'm expecting this to be a low score game. Hopefully, we can win it 1-0, on a penalty scored by "Rashy".

I didn't want Moyes as a manager, and I was happy when we kicked him. The players lost faith in his project.

I thought LvG was the best manager available when we went for him. He did win us a cup, brought in a few good players, but also some shit players. His focus on having the ball superseded the focus on getting the ball in the opposition net. We didn't care about 75 % possession if the game ended 0-0.

Mourinho was once again the best manager we probably could get when we got him (proven, experienced, winner, you name it). With Jose, either they should have backed him in the transfer windows, or they should have sacked him in the transfer window. It would be weird to sack him after winning EL, but the lack of funding for yet another CB combined with Mourinho's temper when he didn't get the toys he wanted, made the club way too toxic for Mourinho to carry on much longer.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
How's it doing?

I cant bring myself to say sack, but neither am I sure he's right for the job. I still cling to the fact he gave us the best three months or so since Fergie left.

mu4c_20le

How's it doing?

I cant bring myself to say sack, but neither am I sure he's right for the job. I still cling to the fact he gave us the best three months or so since Fergie left.
It's 54/46 in favour of sack at the moment, I voted Keep because I believe he would walk if he believed it was clubs best interest, rather than waiting for a big payoff or something. And I believe the club would not sack him unless they have someone lined up.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
It's 54/46 in favour of sack at the moment, I voted Keep because I believe he would walk if he believed it was clubs best interest, rather than waiting for a big payoff or something. And I believe the club would not sack him unless they have someone lined up.
Ive always thought that too

Status
Not open for further replies.