Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Could have been a pro

I don't think he's long term. Certainly see the season out but there's obviously been something missing since SAF left. I don't want to hark back, but players have come and gone, managers have come and gone - yet no one has managed to instil that psychological edge that the club used to have. The fact that you'd be 1 up at home before a ball is kicked. The fact that even when the team is 1 down away from home with 5mins to go, the game was still viewed as probably going to be won. There's a psychological component to team sport that's worth more than any player on the team. Liverpool are in that groove just now. How long it'll last we don't know, but Man Utd had it for near two decades. It's going to take a bit more time to find the right man to manage the team. Currently the feeling whilst the team is on a good run, is 'when do the wheels fall off again'? if the fans feel that, the team feel that.

Member 101269

I find this whole "Anyone can hit teams on the break" stuff pretty fecking stupid to be honest. "Oh no, we're becoming Wolves"

If people can't see huge positives in those two games I don't know what to say. Yes, we had to counter attack a bit against City. As any team in the world would. But they were rock solid, well drilled, calm and purposeful in possession, lethal going forward and they fought like dogs. Even the fitness was impressive having a day less recovery before each game and still outworking both teams. When City came at them in the second half they never panicked and just stuck to their plan. To see such a young side playing with such fire and maturity is hugely exciting. Even Roy fecking Keane was clearly delighted with the City performance. I've never seen him praise us before.

Ole has managed to sort out the right wing with James. He's got Rashford and Martial firing in their best positions. He's somehow got Fred looking like a quality midfielder. The defense were rock solid. Maguire organising and leading. AWB pocketing Sterling, De Bryne and basically everyone who came near him. Yet there's threads on here saying its a myth that James, AWB and Maguire were good signings.

As I've said elsewhere Klopp, Pep and Poch had to basically change their whole squads to get their teams to the current level. Klopp for example has sold 17 senior players and bought 15 since taking over. He finished 8th in the first season. Ole has signed 3 players. 3!!! We have a very young squad. We have absolutely no backup for midfield or up front. Nothing.

When Scotty was injured Pereira had to play as a holding midfielder and were were completely overrun in midfield causing to draw with SU and Villa. We just didn't have a replacement defensive midfielder to give us the solidity required in the PL. Both teams ran through us and we conceded 5 goals over the 2 games.

But those two games aside we've been on an excellent run of form. Fred and McTominay have won 6 of their last 7 together. We've gone from a team who doesn't create chances to a team scoring at will. Had Scott not got injured and we'd won those 2 we'd have gone from 15th up to a point off 4th. That's excellent form. And we still have Pogba to come back.

It looks to me like we are a potentially couple of CMs and another striker away from being a very consistent side. We have a manager who consistently out thinks and beats the best coaches in the game and a hugely determined group of young players who would run through walls for him. There is clear improvements in our play as the season is going on. We're now scoring loads of goals after being the team "with no attacking patterns of play" a few weeks ago.

The fact that people don't want to even give him a chance to add to the 3 superb signings he's made so far and just sack him despite the obvious progress being made is frankly just mental.
It's time to strap in, support Ole and see where that takes us. Get on board.
This.. great post

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
"It's a Funny old game Football". Really hard to predict what managers can do, especially when they are given big monies to spend. ( not saying Klupp has) . But if if Ole is backed I think we could be in top 3/4 next season.
It is, look at someone like Bruce at Newcastle so far. Many talked like Benitez was some sort of genius there for keeping them in the PL.

You can never say with certainty how a manager will do in a particular scenario, one of the reasons i don't buy into this 'we must sack Ole and get Poch at all costs' many seem to want.

reddevil702

I’ve been Ole out for some time now and still am as I don’t believe he’s the right manager to take us forward. But there’s no denying the last two matches, United seem to have reverted back to the style that got Ole the permanent job in the first place. He’s definitely bought himself more time and it’s deserved. The players are still fighting for him and that really says a lot.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yeah, no, that's just not true at all. People really need to stop trying to compare him to Klopp.
So you're saying that Liverpool should've got rid of Klopp after the same time that Ole has been at United??

Nobody's comparing him to Klopp. I'm just making the point that giving him time eventually reaped rewards for the Dippers.

Yeah it might not work out for Ole and that's fair enough but United have to give him time. We've played the best football under Ole than under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho. Imagine pulling the trigger, getting another manager in and ending up with another Mourinho situation. That would be disastrous.

ReddBalls

Yup, and 3 managers have been rightfully sacked because of that.
Point is, top 4 is not something that one can expect each year judging by the years since SAF. Should Ole do it in his first year, it's an achievement wether or not fans feel entitled to it as a minimum.

RUCK4444

So you're saying that Liverpool should've got rid of Klopp after the same time that Ole has been at United??

Nobody's comparing him to Klopp. I'm just making the point that giving him time eventually reaped rewards for the Dippers.

Yeah it might not work out for Ole and that's fair enough but United have to give him time. We've played the best football under Ole than under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho. Imagine pulling the trigger, getting another manager in and ending up with another Mourinho situation. That would be disastrous.
This. At this current juncture I would not sack Ole and hire anybody other than Pep or Klopp and Ole beat Pep yesterday and halted Klopps run of wins earlier in the season so he’s holding his own in the big games. I want to see what this team and manager can do with a few quality additions.

To undo the good that Ole has done and to then compound that by throwing another 200 million down the drain would be disastrous and put us back to square one.
Except this time we have less money to throw at it and our appeal has weakened further.

Alabaster Codify7

I'm still where I was one week ago when we drew 2-2 at home to Aston fecking Villa. I don't think Ole is a good enough manager for a club wih serious ambition. I also don't believe the board are 'backing' this supposed plan, personally. It's a convenient excuse while we flounder around outside the top 4, and if Ole is able to get 4th this season he'll rightfully be kept around but believe me, he will NOT be backed financially. As far as our board is concerned, that will be job done and proof that what Ole has is good enough for their priority which is top 4.

The past two results have been incredible, yes. Ole has played a blinder, credit to him. But we are where we were 1 week ago - a game-raising team. If Ole can start putting lesser teams to the sword, like our next few fixtures, I will happily rethink my stance on whether he's good enough for this job. Until then, I view him as an underdog manager and Man United should not be managed by an underdog.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Was going through my twitter TL and I agree with the tweet above. I still have major concerns if we can sustain our form. We have 9 fixtures that we should be winning in all honesty. I expect minimal to be points dropped over the next month. Anything other than that, and qualification to League Cup semi would be a total failure and would be a strong indictment of how Ole is only getting results against teams who are willing to play football against us, rather than him being a manager who gets the better of Mourinho, Pep etc. However, do well in those 9 fixtures and I think he should oversee January. The end of those 9 fixtures coincide with the start of January window. I think if Ole does well, over the next month, he should be given the January window to bolster our squad, and subsequently see out the season to try to get top 4 or win the Europa League or/and League Cup.

tomaldinho1

Was going through my twitter TL and I agree with the tweet above. I still have major concerns if we can sustain our form. We have 9 fixtures that we should be winning in all honesty. I expect minimal to be points dropped over the next month. Anything other than that, and qualification to League Cup semi would be a total failure and would be a strong indictment of how Ole is only getting results against teams who are willing to play football against us, rather than him being a manager who gets the better of Mourinho, Pep etc. However, do well in those 9 fixtures and I think he should oversee January. The end of those 9 fixtures coincide with the start of January window. I think if Ole does well, over the next month, he should be given the January window to bolster our squad, and subsequently see out the season to try to get top 4 or win the Europa League or/and League Cup.
Precisely. Whether people are Ole in or out, I think everyone has their doubts about us vs other counter attacking teams. I'm hoping Everton proves a good fixture as they're bouncing back and should attack us somewhat, it's the Watford, Newcastle, Burnley run that really matters and where we have to aiming for maximum points. Can we remain competitive in big games and also open up the teams that sit back now we've got some confidence and a bit of positivity about us. At least I'm now excited about United games over the festive fixture list.

Halftrack

But his results with Liverpool were not. They're comparable.
After 37 league games in charge at Liverpool, Klopp had managed 64 points. After 37 league games in charge for us, Ole has managed 64 points.

That being said, Liverpool started their first full season under Klopp like a house on fire, and had clearly improved from the season before, while we've struggled more. I think the reasons for our struggles are obvious (shipping soft goals, and a lack of depth and creativity in midfield and attack), and I think (or at least hope) that when these issues are sorted, we'll raise our game significantly.

Paxi

Precisely. Whether people are Ole in or out, I think everyone has their doubts about us vs other counter attacking teams. I'm hoping Everton proves a good fixture as they're bouncing back and should attack us somewhat, it's the Watford, Newcastle, Burnley run that really matters and where we have to aiming for maximum points. Can we remain competitive in big games and also open up the teams that sit back now we've got some confidence and a bit of positivity about us. At least I'm now excited about United games over the festive fixture list.
Yep me too. I think next 9 games will give us a good indication of where Ole is at as a coach. I certainly hope he proves me wrong.

After 37 league games in charge at Liverpool, Klopp had managed 64 points. After 37 league games in charge for us, Ole has managed 64 points.
The only important thing if people insist on comparing them is how many points they had on 8th December during their first full season, because he you see if there has been any progress made.

Paxi

Imagine we won 6-7 of them. 18-21 points. I would definitely rethink my opinion of Ole if that happens.
Same here. Were 6 points behind Chelsea at this point and with more than half of season still to play, I think anything than a serious challenge for a top 4 spot from here on, would be a massive failure. No excuses about players, or lack there of.. talks of long term plans... etc etc. We've seen that this team is capable of, we've seen that this team is playing for the manager. We've got the squad here to challenge Chelsea's and Tottenham's. We have to spend in January and if we don't, I don't want to see Ole giving it the aul' company man routine -- he already stated he was happy with the squad once this year, whilst it was clear we needed 3-4 replacments. I appreciate its difficult to do business in January but at the same time we can sign players now if we like, they just cannot be registered until then. Also, I get that clubs don't want to part with players midseason but again, we've left yourselves in this precarious position, we shouldn't expect an easy negotiation and a free pass. I mean, of course clubs will want more money, like what did you expect? Have them gift wrap them for us as a late Christmas present? Doesn't happen. Anyway, as I said no excuses we need to perform strongly over next month and if we do then we have to challenge for top 4 and in Europa League, League Cup, FA Cup. If we don't then Ole's position will have to be evaluated, just like any other manager. He has bought another month for me, and heck I thought that was impossible only a week ago. Hopefully, I'll be eating humble pie next month, and I'll do it gladly but I please no more false dawns.

Last edited:

M Bison

Supports
York City
At the start of the season I expected us to be top 6 - I think there are better sides than us and top 4 is beyond us at the moment due to the lack of quality in the squad. I'm still of that opinion and would accept it if we are in that position at the end of the season.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
At the start of the season I expected us to be top 6 - I think there are better sides than us and top 4 is beyond us at the moment due to the lack of quality in the squad. I'm still of that opinion and would accept it if we are in that position at the end of the season.
I expected 6th, very surprised we're sitting in 5th after 16 games considering our injury problems. Still think anyone talking about top 4 or 6-7 game winning runs will be disappointed (and no doubt asking for the manager sacked as a result), the squad isn't strong enough.

Paxi

It's the manner of how we get there. If we plod along and get beaten by teams that we should be beating -- then there has to be serious questions asked. I don't think there is a United fan out there who'd bemoan us finishing 5th, 6th if it was a close race and we played well. What we've seen at Bournemouth, Newcastle, Sheffield, Villa at home, Palace at home, Rochdale, should not be tolerated.

Alabaster Codify7

Same here. Were 6 points behind Chelsea at this point and with more than half of season still to play, I think anything than a serious challenge for a top 4 spot from here on, would be a massive failure. No excuses about players, or lack there of.. talks of long term plans... etc etc. We've seen that this team is capable of, we've seen that this team is playing for the manager. We've got the squad here to challenge Chelsea's and Tottenham's. We have to spend in January and if we don't, I don't want to see Ole giving it the aul' company man routine -- he already stated he was happy with the squad once this year, whilst it was clear we needed 3-4 replacments. I appreciate its difficult to do business in January but at the same time we can sign players now if we like, they just cannot be registered until then. Also, I get that clubs don't want to part with players midseason but again, we've left yourselves in this precarious position, we shouldn't expect an easy negotiation and a free pass. I mean, of course clubs will want more money, like what did you expect? Have them gift wrap them for us as a late Christmas present? Doesn't happen. Anyway, as I said no excuses we need to perform strongly over next month and if we do then we have to challenge for top 4 and in Europa League, League Cup, FA Cup. If we don't then Ole's position will have to be evaluated, just like any other manager. He has bought another month for me, and heck I thought that was impossible only a week ago. Hopefully, I'll be eating humble pie next month, and I'll do it gladly but I please no more false dawns.

First bolded part - this is where I am at personally. I wanted him gone tomorrow, but credit where it's due, he's doing well at present and i thought we'd get zero points from our last two games. I am now giving him a bit of slack until Christmas I reckon. But if we turn up against Everton playing underdog football and being unable to break them down, my stance will change again. We need to strike while the iron is hot now and start building confidence.

The second - YES. This is my main gripe with the 'Ole In' crowd - they seem to think that people like me genuinely want us to fail and take pleasure in us being shite. Nothing would make me bloody happier than to be proven completely and utterly wrong in my stance on Ole because that would mean the football team i support is succeeding!

ReddBalls

That being said, Liverpool started their first full season under Klopp like a house on fire, and had clearly improved from the season before, while we've struggled more. I think the reasons for our struggles are obvious (shipping soft goals, and a lack of depth and creativity in midfield and attack), and I think (or at least hope) that when these issues are sorted, we'll raise our game significantly.
I say they both inherited clubs who struggled and were in a mess. It's interesting to see if Ole can make the same kind of progress. But he obviously has less leeway at United than Klopp had at Liverpool. A bigger task at winning the fans over, too.

Mainoldo

Could you please elaborate?
Ricardo Quaresma is no Cristiano Ronaldo.

I don’t get why you need an elaboration on different levels or quality. But should you struggle just remember..

Ricardo Quaresma

Cristiano Ronaldo

Paxi

First bolded part - this is where I am at personally. I wanted him gone tomorrow, but credit where it's due, he's doing well at present and i thought we'd get zero points from our last two games. I am now giving him a bit of slack until Christmas I reckon. But if we turn up against Everton playing underdog football and being unable to break them down, my stance will change again. We need to strike while the iron is hot now and start building confidence.

The second - YES. This is my main gripe with the 'Ole In' crowd - they seem to think that people like me genuinely want us to fail and take pleasure in us being shite. Nothing would make me bloody happier than to be proven completely and utterly wrong in my stance on Ole because that would mean the football team i support is succeeding!
I think this is exactly what happens when we play the top 6. They come out to play, and we absolutely devastate them with our blistering pace. Credit where where credit is due. We look fantastic in counter attacks when we sit deep. And only when. Teams that let us have the ball, ultimately bewilder us. We find it hard to break them down, we don't show any attacking nous or any kind or cohesive football you'd expect us to play. Other than the top 6, teams are more than happy sitting deep and settling for a draw, and maybe picking us off. So, this is where I'd like to see improvement. Never had any qualms about us playing top teams. Problem is the are only about 10-12 games a season where we get to sit deep and play on the counter and use our pace to devastating effect. We play teams that sit deep, Rashford and James have stinkers as they're reduced to running into blind alleys.

Oh, and of course, I don't give a feck if I look like an idiot if Ole becomes the second coming or third in our case, I'll be a fool but a happy fool. I know there are twats on Twitter that pop up that would rather Ole fail to prove a point that they were right just to save face. That shit is pathetic.

Giggsyking

Point is, top 4 is not something that one can expect each year judging by the years since SAF. Should Ole do it in his first year, it's an achievement wether or not fans feel entitled to it as a minimum.
Accepting mediocrity?

ReddBalls

Ricardo Quaresma is no Cristiano Ronaldo.

I don’t get why you need an elaboration on different levels or quality. But should you struggle just remember..

Ricardo Quaresma

Cristiano Ronaldo
I did not ask for elaboration on "different levels of quality".

Acquire Me

The long term plan is the main thing in all this. Wake up dude.

Without one we would go in circles.

SteveW

I expected 6th, very surprised we're sitting in 5th after 16 games considering our injury problems. Still think anyone talking about top 4 or 6-7 game winning runs will be disappointed (and no doubt asking for the manager sacked as a result), the squad isn't strong enough.
Agreed. We are always an injury away from trouble. All of the teams we are competing against for the top 4 have better depth in midfield and attack.

Spurs for example brought Ndombele, Erikssen and Lo Celso on in the second half against us. Eric Dier was an unused substitute. Our midfield subs were Pereira, Garner and Mata.

I think the expectations in this thread are unreasonable for this reason. Moyes had a title winning squad. Jose and LVG spent nearly a billion pounds between them.

If we can add a couple in January we would have a much better chance. But even getting through the Xmas period unscathed may be tricky. It's a stressful time.

Status
Not open for further replies.