Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

POF

Agree, it's fantastic breaking those many positive records. We also break many negative records mind...

Sorry? "without buying it from scratch"? Are you really really sure?
Best 11 - Bruno, Maguire, AWB
Regulars - VDB, Cavani, Telles

To be fair, he used a lot of leftovers from the past 4 managers plus new youths.. just like the past managers using many inherited players..

What is he learning?
While he's on this job.. the decisions makings, rotations and all the football, are all comparably the same with the start of last season. The only differences here is the players he chose are making it better.. to be harsh, better players are covering many of the weaknesses. Examples:- Instead of persisting with Lingard, he's now over relying on Bruno, thank god. Cavani replaces Ighalo's role, and he's still over relying on Rashford... still make late subs and sometimes early. Still laissez-faire way of playing the football, with our defense as it is inconsistent. Let's not pretend to forget how good our defense last season in the first half then gets worse later on. It's up and down. I could go more like how we attack, build-up and play from the back are still the same... no signs of learning so I'm curious in what sense is he learning from your understanding.

Man, those over praising messiah Ole by belittling the other managers are amazing.
You're disproving my "he hasn't bought an entire new first team" by pointing out that he signed 3 first team players? How many players play in a football team? It's more than 3!

He has got an awful lot out of the players he inherited. Lindelof, Shaw, McTominay, Fred, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood have all had their best seasons at the club by a very long way under Ole. Matic looked finished before he was rejuvenated under Ole.

The attack under Jose was pathetic. An absolute mess. From that attack, he lost the club's record attacking signing and the club's highest paid player. They've added Bruno in midfield, a kid from Swansea, a free transfer and a loan signing and the attack is now a fearsome unit on it's day.

As for what he's learned, there are multiple things. He learned the value of adding leaders in key positions and how important that is in winning close games. See how often Bruno and Maguire are on the pitch at key moments in games.

Tactically he has shown great development. He is flexible in his tactics and systems he uses. He's masterminded some fantastic wins in big games ("woop woop").

His in-game management has improved significantly. His feel for substitutions is now great and how many times have his changes salvaged victories from losing positions this season?

His ability to rotate the squad is coming along really well. 9 changes at Everton and it still felt like a United first team.

The main thing I have really liked this season is his ability to get results when it mattered most and arrest a slide after a bad result. After the disastrous start when his players were lacking energy, he reverted to Fred/McTominay to tighten things up. It worked. After losing in Leipzig, they were a defeat to City away from crisis. He tightened right up and made sure they didn't lose.

His comment after the Everton game was really on point. He was being congratulated for rotating and keeping players fresh and he said the key to that was to win the game. Positive momentum keeps players fresher.

He's right. He understands momentum and the psychology of what makes a winning culture and a team with winning mentality. You can see the confidence and belief running through the squad.

He's doing an excellent job.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In less than 6 months Liverpool will match our number of league titles. All 2 of their Premier Leagues were won when we were under Solskjaer. They have twice our Champions League titles one of them was won when we were under Solskjaer.
:lol:

One of the worst posts on caf, must be Duncan Castles.

Widow

I

Something that's not talked about enough.
Backlash for dropping Pogba?

Surly it's because we've come to realise he just can't do it in the big games against the bigger sides. He lacks the defensive skills to control the more attacking midfielders of Liverpool, City ect..

Ole has found Fred and Scott T, a paring that usually works far better in these games.

Ole doesn't get away with it because he's Ole, he gets away with it because it works!

I don't get the Cavarni jibe. Great player to bring in as a backup and to push Rashford/Martial to up their game.

Crustanoid

In less than 6 months Liverpool will match our number of league titles. All 2 of their Premier Leagues were won when we were under Solskjaer. They have twice our Champions League titles one of them was won when we were under Solskjaer.

Solskjaer inherited a team that finished 6 points above them and last season finishing 33 points behind them was declared as a definitive progress.

Trophies have been replaced by 10 good results. Nobody sees we are under one of the longest period of trophy draught in our history.

We are told to forget our standards. Rewrite new ones where Ole looks successful. Or believe in random samples, meaningless tables running across meaningless windows of time period to see United top the table under Ole. This is "progress". This is the "rebuild". This is all we should expect.

Otherwise we aren't real fans.
You’re not.

Im convinced the Ole Out posters who persist in negativity even when we have been winning well for ages are sad, obsessed RAWKites who spend an unhealthy amount of time trying to stir discontent because they are damaged from the last few decades.

Its the only logical explanation for the severe levels of dissatisfaction with our team doing well.

Highfather_24

I

Backlash for dropping Pogba?

Surly it's because we've come to realise he just can't do it in the big games against the bigger sides. He lacks the defensive skills to control the more attacking midfielders of Liverpool, City ect..

Ole has found Fred and Scott T, a paring that usually works far better in these games.

Ole doesn't get away with it because he's Ole, he gets away with it because it works!

I don't get the Cavarni jibe. Great player to bring in as a backup and to push Rashford/Martial to up their game.
Not sure what you're trying to say, but the tweet was praising Ole for his man management skills.

Pogba is a big name player, who expects to play every match. Same for Cavani, all these players have big egos and its very easy to lose the dressing room if you are dropping them in big games. Ole has managed the squad and the personalities really well.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I can see where he's coming from.

Some people are a bit OTT in arguing how well Ole has done. Finding meaningless stats to suit their agenda.

I personally think Ole is a roller-coaster, up & down. When you think we're making progress results /performances go down, when he looks about to derail, he pulls a rabbit out of a hat & we go through a purple patch & we're progressing again. That's where we are right now. If he keeps the consistency up (obviously their will be the odd blip) from now until the end of the season, I would then say he's made genuine progress..

He's certainly earned the right to have the time to succeed or fail this season & we can assess at the end of it whether he's been good enough.

Personally scraping 4th is not good enough. We need to be at least comfortable top 4.
Are we scraping 4th though? We're well ahead of the pace from last season. We're 9 points ahead of last season after 13 games. We'll be 11 points ahead of last season after 14 rounds (post Burnley).

We've won 8 and played draw in 1 of our last 9 domestic games, and this place will be rampaging if we lose the next game. Despite no other team in the Premier League having a better form record currently.

We're 2 points behind Liverpool if we win our game in hand. Considering the ENORMOUS gap to Manchester City and Liverpool last season, surely that is improvement?

You can only play the matches you're given, and quite frankly no one should be unhappy about how we are performing in our domestic competitions:

Here's where we were in 2018/19: https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2019&min=1&max=14
Here's where we are in 2020/21: https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2020&min=1&max=14

There is a steep difference in quality of the team this season.

We are going to lose a game of football again this season. There is no team that will play the next 30 odd remaining games in all competitions without a loss. Please let's not blow up and focus on being as negative as possible about a statistical probability.

diawl_coch

Playing well again. Exciting to watch.

Real progress being made and I think our exit from the CL was poor luck.

Liverpool looking over their shoulder and starting to fret a little now.

We have a strong squad and can last the distance this season. Finding a way to give Bruno Fernandes a rest and not losing our way is key.

90 + 5min

I think this is harsh, and to be honest, it is this type of post that stops more people getting on board.

It really has been an up and down period. So many highs and so many crushing lows. There is still evidence of poor coaching in the team, even tonight. There was progress and then there were massive steps back. It hasn’t just been bumps in the road and people who have been sure since the start, need to recognize that.

Where he has won me over has been his squad building. The amount of talent on the bench has been fantastic. Even his most maligned signing has played the most minutes in all of Europe! He has a fantastic personality too and is so easy to like. I have said that since the start.

Ole gets paid a lot of money in a high pressure job. It is up to him to convince in his role and for me, he is slowly doing that. Is it perfect? It’s not, there are still clear issues, but I love the squad he has built and the credit for that alone has made me want to give him more time.

I am curious to see if he can grow as a manager. I am delighted that he is looking stronger and the team is looking better.

Criticism and debate is normal in sport, and so are reactions. The vast majority have continued to support United and be delighted with good results regardless of any concern they had for the manager.

I always wanted to be proven wrong and am delighted he is doing just that. But there is no “pity” about not seeing it before through the fog. Comments like that just make people dig their heels in.
Of course it is up and down. And it will be in future, unless we have now found consitancy. What you call steps back, I call bumps on road. Can you tell me what those massive step back were? I will remind you that he is on his 2nd full year. Not 5th. Not 10th. 2nd.

Criticism and debate is normal in sport, and so are reactions. And you are right. But everything must be put in a context. Has he done some wrong? No questions about that. Has he done something good? No question about that. As long as we were showing progress it wasn't a big problem.

Solskjaer inherited a team that finished 6 points above them and last season finishing 33 points behind them was declared as a definitive progress.

Trophies have been replaced by 10 good results. Nobody sees we are under one of the longest period of trophy draught in our history.

We are told to forget our standards. Rewrite new ones where Ole looks successful. Or believe in random samples, meaningless tables running across meaningless windows of time period to see United top the table under Ole. This is "progress". This is the "rebuild". This is all we should expect.

So you are blaming Solskjaer for Liverpool giving time to Klopp and using it in good way. Thats new way to see it. Why just blame last season. Lets blame Covid-19 on Solskjaer. In his time as manager there was/is pandemic. Must be Solskjaer fault. Or Brexit! Never have a manager been in charge at ManUtd and country went for Brexit before.

Who is telling you to forget standards? To rewrite stuff? It is his second season and we are doing just fine. What did you expect him to do?

DFreshKing

@Niall @golden_blunder
Would it be an idea to reset the poll some day soon, if mainly to add other options?
There used to be 3 options to this current poll, the last was "sack at the end of the season" which was removed towards the end of last season since it wasn't as relevant then.

I understand that some people are more cautious to the wording of the current options. Either sack immediately or keep "forever" as we wait for an everlasting rebuild to finish. ("What are we missing, neverending story")

As pointed out below, many are unwilling to pick an option that seems to be backing him fully.

I would suggest something along the lines of:

1. Sack and replace immediately
2. Give him the rest of the season and then evaluate
3. I back him to lead us for 2-3 seasons more with support in the market. (Then evaluate if we haven't won a big trophy or at least lost out in the final round of the season)

For reference, I am currently in camp 3, but I also know that if we crash and burn for many games in a row and/or Ole starts trashtalking in the media, then an evaluation needs to come as soon as possible after that.
The time to evaluate has long gone. He has been here over two years now doing the steady building job expected from where we were. You either want him to continue or you don't. It's not ever lasting just until you change your mind to not want him to manage anymore then you have option one.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Wonder how the mood in here had been if we had been in the exact same position we are in now, but Poch or some hipster ex Dortmund manager were in charge.
i swear most of the"Ole outers" judge him only by his CV.

Jonno

This is one of the worst posts I've seen on the Caf in a very long time.

If you want to tallk about what Ole inherited...... Ole's starting line up in his first game compared to Liverpools team that season. You tell me who inherited the better 11:

De Gea - Alisson
Young - Alexander Arnold
Jones - Van Dyck
Lindelof - Matip
Shaw - Robertson
Herrera - Fabinho
Matic - Henderson
Pogba - Wijnaldum
Lingard -Firminho
Rashford -Mane
Martial - Salah

Oh dear....

Last edited:

90 + 5min

Some people are a bit OTT in arguing how well Ole has done. Finding meaningless stats to suit their agenda.

I personally think Ole is a roller-coaster, up & down. When you think we're making progress results /performances go down, when he looks about to derail, he pulls a rabbit out of a hat & we go through a purple patch & we're progressing again. That's where we are right now. If he keeps the consistency up (obviously their will be the odd blip) from now until the end of the season, I would then say he's made genuine progress..

He's certainly earned the right to have the time to succeed or fail this season & we can assess at the end of it whether he's been good enough.

Personally scraping 4th is not good enough. We need to be at least comfortable top 4.
Yes, maybe there are people who are finding stats that suit agenda. But for more than 24 months we have been showerd with anti-Solskjaer stats aswell. It is not even close.

If we keep consistency until the end of season we are right in the mix for trophies. Definitly progress. We have been making progress from his start and yes, it has been up and down, but going forward.

League is tight. There is no team running with it this year and even teams like ManCity and Chelsea are struggling. To be comfortable top 4 is hard nowdays. There is no longer top 4 where we could see every season who well end up there.

Polar

He's doing a fantastic job. Really fantastic. He's breaking all time club records for away wins, has shown the team can beat even the best teams at home.

He's built an excellent team without buying it from scratch.

He is certainly learning on the job but that's a positive not a negative. How many managers will take over the United job and not have a lot to learn? Pochettino, Nagelsman, Rose, Hassenhuttl or whoever else has been touted have never managed a club anywhere near the size of United and it's far from certain that any of them can handle it.

Mourinho and LVG couldn't handle the job and neither learned a thing during their time at the club. After 2 promising seasons Jose completely lost his mind and lost the plot. LVG was an utter disaster, his recruitment was atrocious and he set the club back years. Moyes, was just crap. All 3 feel completely wronged and that ego and lack of self awareness is precisely why they never learned how to handle a club like United.

Yet, this no name inexperienced ex-Molde manager who relegated Cardiff is putting all 3 of them to shame.

In 2 years' time, maybe Ole's time will be up and he'll have failed to take the final step. But for now, the club is making significant progress under him and it's absolutely brilliant.
Very good analysis. Think you are absolutely right.

Ole makes progress and the harmony inside the team seems great. Right now he is the safest bet compared with any manager.

Widow

Not sure what you're trying to say, but the tweet was praising Ole for his man management skills.

Pogba is a big name player, who expects to play every match. Same for Cavani, all these players have big egos and its very easy to lose the dressing room if you are dropping them in big games. Ole has managed the squad and the personalities really well.

I possibly miss read it.

I thought it hinting at Ole getting an easier ride, when dropping our 'best' player than Jose would have got.

Ole looks to be a decent man manager.

Did you hear JM comments on Ali last night? Shocking management!

adityaspatil

Only 3 managers in Manchester United's history have reached 4 Semi-finals in the space of 2 seasons.

• Sir Matt Busby
• Sir Alex Ferguson
• Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Sir Matt lost all 4. Ole is yet to lose the 4th. SAF won 2 of the 4 with his 08/09 team.

Source Twitter

L1nk

I’m hopeful that Ole goes on to do bits for the rest of the season, because the fallouts going to be huge if we end up slipping and Pochettino is gone, as well as Tuchel.

Mickson

Stop talking sense! We are Manchester United, we have a successful manager who manages to get third in our Champions League group. He is fantastic, The United Way!

JohnnyKills

Yeah decent post.

tomaldinho1

This is one of the worst posts I've seen on the Caf in a very long time.

If you want to tallk about what Ole inherited...... Ole's starting line up in his first game compared to Liverpools team that season. You tell me who inherited the better 11:

De Gea; > Alisson
Young, > Alexander Arnold
Jones, > Van Dyck
Lindelof; > Matip
Shaw, > Robertson
Herrera, > Fabinho
Matic, > Henderson
Pogba; > Wijnaldum
Lingard, > Firminho
Rashford, > Mane
Martial. > Salah

Oh dear....
Assume you've made a mistake here?

Zen86

The development of the squad has been coming along for the last 2 years. Ole’s quite rightly getting praise now after the last couple of games, but there will be bumps in the road and rough patches to come.

We’re still a team struggling with consistency, but we look a lot more confident in our play in recent weeks. We look a team that’s starting to reach maturity and believe in itself. That said, we‘re still a couple signings away from where we want to be.

Zen86

I would probably guess that you aren’t a real fan.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

This argument is flawed on so many levels. It's not a given (yet) that Liverpool will go on to win the league. Klopp has been with the Dippers for over five years and it took a couple of years before he even started winning stuff, Solskjaer has been at United for two.

If you also want to use your same short-sighted logic, after 14 games this season, we are 5 points behind Liverpool with a game in hand, so potentially 2 points behind. Last season, after 14 games we were 22 points behind Liverpool. So Solskjaer has already made up most of that 33 point difference. We were 11 points behind City too so he's currently achieved expectations in catching up with them.

However you want to spin it, Solskjaer is definitely moving in the right direction and making good progress.

tomaldinho1

I'd encourage some of the more rash posters to read this thoroughly before replying - it's a good indicator of how I think a lot of fans feel about Ole and is not inflammatory or biased.

So far in his tenure, Ole has exhibited promise, naivety, courage and a whole lot more good and bad. This is probably what we would all expect from a rookie (relatively) manager. United is a complex machine to manage and it seems Ole has undoubtedly been the best at 'managing' a squad which has difficult players (although it seems no one can control Pogba's mouthpiece) and the Woodward/manager relationship.

On the pitch however, even the most ardent Ole Inner would accept we have been a roller coaster and seen multiple cycles now of the boom & bust form. This period now is crucial because, should we maintain our form it will be the first time we have not dipped back after showing some promise. That would be, for me, the first tangible sign of progress with this squad, which is one of the best in the league and whilst I'm not sure we can overhaul Liverpool, I don't think it would be crazy for us to be able to get 2nd when you look at City's form. That said top four is my expectation.

In the same way Ole is not a PE teacher should he lose the next couple of games, he's not some managerial genius for being near the top of the league right now. We have not played particularly well in a lot of games but we take the positives of not giving up and often coming from behind, again a bit of a roller coaster. Everything rests on where you finish and what you win at the end of the season; he's clearly going all out for the cups & we do have one of the deepest squads in the league so we're well placed.

Naturally the wums and trolls will reappear from both sides if he loses or wins the next game, there'll be more threads about 'toxic' and 'entitled' fan bases or how Ole should be 'sacked' and is a 'awful manager' but those threads die if you don't give them the time of day. So far it's been a rocky road, there are a lot of question marks but it's been a good first third of the season.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Never have I ever read so much nonsense in my life.

Do you think under Poch and the same players last season wed have got close to Liverpool? We wouldn't.

They recruited well over last few years and have players mainly at their peak. We have a younger team who are only getting better and better.

Fans just have no patience. Want instant fix. Klopp won nothing in his first 2 season with Liverpool. They even came 8th in one of those years.

Withnail

I'd encourage some of the more rash posters to read this thoroughly before replying - it's a good indicator of how I think a lot of fans feel about Ole and is not inflammatory or biased.

So far in his tenure, Ole has exhibited promise, naivety, courage and a whole lot more good and bad. This is probably what we would all expect from a rookie (relatively) manager. United is a complex machine to manage and it seems Ole has undoubtedly been the best at 'managing' a squad which has difficult players (although it seems no one can control Pogba's mouthpiece) and the Woodward/manager relationship.

On the pitch however, even the most ardent Ole Inner would accept we have been a roller coaster and seen multiple cycles now of the boom & bust form. This period now is crucial because, should we maintain our form it will be the first time we have not dipped back after showing some promise. That would be, for me, the first tangible sign of progress with this squad, which is one of the best in the league and whilst I'm not sure we can overhaul Liverpool, I don't think it would be crazy for us to be able to get 2nd when you look at City's form. That said top four is my expectation.

In the same way Ole is not a PE teacher should he lose the next couple of games, he's not some managerial genius for being near the top of the league right now. We have not played particularly well in a lot of games but we take the positives of not giving up and often coming from behind, again a bit of a roller coaster. Everything rests on where you finish and what you win at the end of the season; he's clearly going all out for the cups & we do have one of the deepest squads in the league so we're well placed.

Naturally the wums and trolls will reappear from both sides if he loses or wins the next game, there'll be more threads about 'toxic' and 'entitled' fan bases or how Ole should be 'sacked' and is a 'awful manager' but those threads die if you don't give them the time of day. So far it's been a rocky road, there are a lot of question marks but it's been a good first third of the season.
That's fair.

We're definitely still a work in progress in my view and I don't think we should lose our minds if we drop points at Leicester either.

We are aiming to match the consecutive away win PL record, Leicester are a good side and are probably owed a result against us at this stage. It's 2017 since they even got a point off us.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Stop talking sense! We are Manchester United, we have a successful manager who manages to get third in our Champions League group. He is fantastic, The United Way!
How does it make sense? Liverpool have been improving at a steady pace, won the CL and broken points records the last two years. Yeah it stings a bit, but how is that in any way relevant to Ole?

Unless he somehow expects Ole to live up to his nickname and assasinate Klopp in the dug out there is very little he can do about it, expect improving United, which hes doing

90 + 5min

CL groupstage exit would get any manager sacked at other top clubs.

"Rebuilding" can't be an excuse forever.
There are lot of sacked managers in big clubs every year I guess. Why stop with groupstage. Every manager should be sacked unless they win the tournament. And League. Same year. With only wins. By at least 3-0. All season.

2 year is forever?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
OleOUTers crying all over the world because Poch seems to be on his way to PSG :(

Very bleak and miserable times for them during this period of cheer :(

Kaos

I'm going to stick by my guns and still claim he's not good enough to take us forward.

He's had a good run of form which I commend him for and I really do want him to succeed (and will happily embrace being proven wrong about him), but if we end up finishing the season in an underwhelming fashion and we have the chance to procure a promising young manager like Nagelsmann, then I think we ought to go for it.

Though I'm hoping he brings home #21 and I end up with egg on my face.

Also, delighted Poch is PSG-bound. As much as I'm not too keen on Ole so far, I definitely didn't want Poch.

MattofManchester

OleOUTers crying all over the world because Poch seems to be on his way to PSG :(

This is why I call you obnoxious.

You're more involved in being right than supporting the manager.

It seems both avid Ole Ins and Outs are finding it more important to be right than for the club to be right.

Seriously, grow up.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is why I call you obnoxious.

You're more involved in being right than supporting the manager.

It seems both avid Ole Ins and Outs are finding it more important to be right than for the club to be right.

Seriously, grow up.
I have no idea who you are, and care even less on what you think. Hope that is clear between us.

meamth

Meanwhile, Skysports sums up his CV:

Pochettino spent five-and-a-half years at Spurs, leading them to the Champions League final, League Cup final, and two FA Cup semi-finals, as well as four top-four finishes in the Premier League, before being dismissed in November 2019.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm going to stick by my guns and still claim he's not good enough to take us forward.
Depends what you classify as forward and from which base point. If it's to be title contenders then I think he has that in him. If it's to be title winners then perhaps not. I just want us to win a trophy, I couldn't care less what it is, but I feel like that could have a big effect on his and the clubs morale. Either way, i've enjoyed 2020, some highs, some lows, but we've been pretty damn good at times and I feel like i'm watching United again.

owlo

Is this a serious post or a parody of how brexiteers viewed 'REMOANERS' ?

Genuinely not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.