Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
That's all fine, personally I lean towards the former. I genuinely can't think of a worse set of performances than our last 10-15 games under Ole post-SAF. Maybe Moyes final days were this bad? And Jose's final days were pretty poor too, though I don't think we were quite this toothless.

We can't score goals, we still concede through silly defensive errors, we don't really create anything of note and we don't look in any way coached in set pieces or whatever. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Ole is implementing any sort of style of play beyond "run more!". All we've done under him is go backwards, so far.

I also can't think of a single manager in PL history who has managed to turn things around from a set of results like this one, can you? Why people think a manager who got relegated with Cardiff and has continuously gotten worse with us can be the one to do that is beyond me.
I can think of quite a few performances as bad or worse as what we have seen this season under all of our managers post Ferguson.

The club wanted to clear the decks. Get rid of players who didn't want to be here. Bring in players that do. Sort out the wage bill and get our finances in order. All of that being fully aware that we were going to have a difficult season ahead of us, and that they were throwing Ole to the wolves - AKA the fans that are unable to have the patience to accept that we are trying to reset and build towards the future.

TRUERED89

It really is that simple. We sacked Mourinho with no plan. That worked out fine.. they just forgot to work on the bloody plan or actually replacing him instead of giving the intermin because he beat PSG. Looking back i actually wish we lost that game.
I think he would of been given the job regardless of the PSG result, due to how well we were doing in the league at that point.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Major point against OGS for me is his almost non existent modern style of play. A good coach will transform even a championship side.

A coach that tries to do "what SAF" did - will do exactly as OGS is doing right now. You cannot copy Sir Alex.

Having said that - I don't want him sacked because that means another "plan" down the drain and another appointment for Woodward to spectacularly get wrong.

There are some positives - like clearing the squad of lazy cnuts. Unfortunately we can't do it in one go but there are positive signs. Also the youth. Double edged sword with that but still, I believe we'll emerge from this experiment with a couple of very good players for the future (Tuanzebe, Greenwood).

But if we end up fighting relegation around christmas then of course that can't be tolerated.

Tldr: Glazers OUT.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I can think of quite a few performances as bad or worse as what we have seen this season under all of our managers post Ferguson.

The club wanted to clear the decks. Get rid of players who didn't want to be here. Bring in players that do. Sort out the wage bill and get our finances in order. All of that being fully aware that we were going to have a difficult season ahead of us, and that they were throwing Ole to the wolves - AKA the fans that are unable to have the patience to accept that we are trying to reset and build towards the future.
Now you're just ignoring what I'm saying and avoiding my questions. We had poor performances under those managers but never for such a sustained period of time, that's what I said.

Again, why do you think he can turn it around from this position when no PL manager ever has?

And again, how come this team was able to do so well for three months when he took over last season but is now one of the worst performing teams in the league? Was the initial run of form down or Ole or the players, and is the current run of form down to Ole, or the players?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So you sack him... who would you put in?
We dont have a fecking style or pattern. Completely clueless in the final third. Doesn't know how to take control of the games. All we know is counter attacking by putting ball into the space and hoping our forwards will get there before the defender. Going for unnecessary tackles is now considered as grit and determination, apparently.

As of now, anyone is better than Ole . Even Wenger until end of the season. This is worse than Moyes era. Ole is getting a free pass because of his record as a player.

Ricardo de la Vega

Sack. Many, many, mitigating circumstances, and he's got a trash-tier squad to work with - there aren't many in the world who could be doing a better job than him now. But he's not the right man for the job or the right man to rebuild. He's a young coach - up and coming - but he doesn't have the experience or tactical nouse for such a huge job yet. We need a director of football - a plan to go forwards with recruitment, and Pochettino.

judge bolt

Keep,Who are we going to get to replace him anyway? he needs at least 2 more windows there is a lot of deadwood in this team and we can't replace it overnight.

Marcus

Keep. But he won't make it if we are thrashed by Liverpool.

Kemizee

How is it a case of being impatient? Fans want to see United play attacking football and will be patient for that manager. Ole has been on the job since December. The fact of the matter is, Ole is not achieving attacking football, nor results. So there is nothing Ole has shown us that should make us be patient with him. That doesn't mean we wouldn't be patient for another manager who gets United playing attacking football. Since the Liverpool match, there have been excuses for Ole's inability to get United to play attacking football. After pre season that excuse no longer works. He's had a chance to get their fitness up, thus he should be able to show signs of his players attempting his progressive tactics.

Get the right manager who can get us playing attacking football and we'll be more patient. I'm still not Ole out as in sack him now, but based on the evidence this season I can't see myself not being Ole out once the season is over.
How some don't understand something as simple as this will forever baffle me. OLE DOES NOT NEED 200 MILLION POUNDS TO PLAY ATTACKING FOOTBALL! If Eddie Howe for instance can do this with Bournemouth, why can't he? He has no managerial history credit in the Bank. He was woeful at Cardiff. Pretty much the only thing he could have done to appease the fanbase is play attacking football. That's the bare minimum. No one is asking him to win the league. He has failed at that despite having time as caretaker and now perm manager. That tells me he is not a good manager. Forget results, we are going nowhere under his stewardship.

edgecutter

I can understand why people want to keep him due to no other alternative being available, but the football is dire at the moment. Ole has been at United longer than Rodgers has been at Leicester and the quality between both sides is night and day.

The tactics are the same and the same deadwood players keep starting when they aren't good enough.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It really is that simple. We sacked Mourinho with no plan. That worked out fine.. they just forgot to work on the bloody plan or actually replacing him instead of giving the intermin because he beat PSG. Looking back i actually wish we lost that game.
It went that well that ten months later you want Mourinhos replacement sacked as well. :D
If in the summer we haven't reached the goals set by Woodward and the board we can reassess then, sacking a manager seven matches into the season with no obvious replacement ready would be a bizzare decision.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
not really. You dont sack a manager without a plan what to do next.
But that's jumping the gun though. That's not what the poll is for.

It's to assess whether you think the job he is doing right now (coaching, performances, results) deserves the sack? Simple as that.

Anything else is conjecture and distorting the outcome of the poll.

We aren't going to be informed of the club's future intentions regardless, so if that's why many people are voting keep instead, then it makes no sense to me.

Bestietom

When you say backed. What exactly do you expect him to get?
Well he was promised replacements for Herrera and Lukaku, but it never happened. Lukaku could have moved earlier but it was dragged on until last day, so was too late to bring anyone in. He should have been allowed bring someone in before the sale. Herrera and Fellaini moved out without being replaced.

We were left with Matic, Mctominay, Pogba, and Fred for our Midfield. Matic is finished and Fred is not good enough for here, and we don't know if Pogba really wants to be here.
So no matter what manager comes in, we need 5 Top players to compete with City and Liverpool. Will the Glazers and Woody back him.??? A lot of money needed.

Infra-red

I can understand why people want to keep him due to no other alternative being available, but the football is dire at the moment. Ole has been at United longer than Rodgers has been at Leicester and the quality between both sides is night and day.

The tactics are the same and the same deadwood players keep starting when they aren't good enough.
I don't think many (any?) of the people who voted 'keep' actually think that Solskjaer is a top manager doing an excellent job. I know I certainly don't. However, even if his departure sometime before the start of next season is highly likely (and desirable), that doesn't necessarily mean he should be sacked now, given that:

1) There are no obvious replacements of requisite quality.
2) It's not likely that the season can be salvaged with the squad in such an abysmal state.
3) Sacking a manager so early in the season immediately plunges the club in to crisis mode, highlights our incompetence and probably makes sourcing a high-quality permanent replacement even harder.

I absolutely do not think we should persist with Solskjaer beyond May, but I have still voted 'keep', for now.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's 100 % not the right guy, but keep.

Hopefully he can take Woodward, a lot of the players, and maybe even the Glazers with him down the plug hole when fans finally get some of concerted effort together to blame the right people.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
People are not being able to seperate Ole the player from Ole the manager.
If that was Moyes the poll would’ve looked very different, we’re frighteningly poor.
Yeah what we should do is continue to sack managers year in year out. Let them start their plan then get rid of them. Rinse and repeat.

What was everyone expecting with the squad that was left? And the massive overhaul it needs?

Any manager in the world would struggle with this shit.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Yeah what we should do is continue to sack managers year in year out. Let them start their plan then get rid of them. Rinse and repeat.

What was everyone expecting with the squad that was left? And the massive overhaul it needs?

So you think Ole doesn’t deserve any blame for how the squad shaped out to be?
Your second paragraph is weird, you’re basically saying the Molde manager and the manager who got Cardiff relegated and then sat 17th in the championship is as good as any other manager in the world, good one.

Sacking failing managers is something clubs do, time and time again if they have to.

Smores

God that last sentence, we've hit cult status.

G_and_T

For once I'd like to see the players get the sack and shoulder responsibility. JM had the wrong attitude but in his first and second season he worked miracles with these players. When Ole came in, they started playing well again and we all thought the clouds had lifted. But this season they are playing at 50%, Rashford you can see needs someone to lift the pressure off him, Pogba plays for 15 minutes every game, Andreas has a big heart but not really enough talent. If anyone at MU want change, they have to change the squad. I don't think we will get top 6 and maybe that is the wake up call the Glazers need to see that a football club isn't their cash cow, and serious money needs to be invested. I would keep Ole, I think he has made really good signings. But I hope some miracle happens in January and we make some serious purchases who can hit the ground running.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Spent about four hours last night in bed thinking about this. I would keep him, but it would not surprize me if it does not work out. Unless we are doing really bad we have to give him the season. Who else can we hire? Maybe the Ajax coach. Then he will just do another rebuilding job.

I think ole needs a few more players as well. Badly need a RW and a ten. I think Perriera and Lingarrd will see out the season and then be relegated to the bench. Just clearly not good enough.

We have already failed with Van Gaal a champions league winner and Mourinho a two time CL winner, so we would be really stuck to find someone else.

I see it getting worse before it gets better though. We badly need Martial back.

Need to sign Sancho, Maddison and a MF in the summer.

Worryingly though our attacking play is terrible. Ole has been here seven or eight months and we have no attacking guile at all. Like City have.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Now you're just ignoring what I'm saying and avoiding my questions. We had poor performances under those managers but never for such a sustained period of time, that's what I said.

Again, why do you think he can turn it around from this position when no PL manager ever has?

And again, how come this team was able to do so well for three months when he took over last season but is now one of the worst performing teams in the league? Was the initial run of form down or Ole or the players, and is the current run of form down to Ole, or the players?
I am not saying he will definitely turn this around - I never have. I'm saying I haven't decided yet. I think he will have a much better chance of doing so when he is able to bring in some better players than what he's got right now. An actual right winger and a number 10, if we buy well, would completely transform this team. At that stage I'll be in the 'no more excuses' camp and will judge him accordingly.

As for your last point - I honestly have no idea. Do I think that the coaching they are receiving is steadily making them a worse team? No I don't. Phelan's presence is a large part of why I think that. He was around for much of Fergusons time and was highly involved in all off-pitch team functions. I just cant envisage a scenario where he is seeing a radically different approach (or quality) in the coaching/training and is just watching it happen.

JJ12

So you think Ole doesn’t deserve any blame for how the squad shaped out to be?
Your second paragraph is weird, you’re basically saying the Molde manager and the manager who got Cardiff relegated and then sat 17th in the championship is as good as any other manager in the world, good one.

Sacking failing managers is something clubs do, time and time again if they have to.
Yeah let's hire proven manager like Jose and LVG - things will be better to then.

It's a shambles from the top down. Sacking every manager every year is hurting us as much as anything.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I don't think many (any?) of the people who voted 'keep' actually think that Solskjaer is a top manager doing an excellent job. I know I certainly don't. However, even if his departure sometime before the start of next season is highly likely (and desirable), that doesn't necessarily mean he should be sacked now, given that:

1) There are no obvious replacements of requisite quality.
2) It's not likely that the season can be salvaged with the squad in such an abysmal state.
3) Sacking a manager so early in the season immediately plunges the club in to crisis mode, highlights our incompetence and probably makes sourcing a high-quality permanent replacement even harder.

I absolutely do not think we should persist with Solskjaer beyond May, but I have still voted 'keep', for now.
So essentially you're saying let's stick our heads in the sand, sing Ole's at the wheel every match and hopefully no-one outside the club will notice the awful job he is doing? Does that sound reasonable to you?

There is over 80% of the season still to play. Why do you possibly think the season can't be salvaged if we sack him right now?

We already are in a crisis. We're rapidly sliding down the table (will be near relegation places soon), showing consistent relegation form & the performances every week are absolutely dire to put it mildly. What good can come of giving someone like that until the end of the season?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We dont have a fecking style or pattern. Completely clueless in the final third. Doesn't know how to take control of the games. All we know is counter attacking by putting ball into the space and hoping our forwards will get there before the defender. Going for unnecessary tackles is now considered as grit and determination, apparently.

As of now, anyone is better than Ole . Even Wenger until end of the season. This is worse than Moyes era. Ole is getting a free pass because of his record as a player.
But when you sack him, who do you appoint?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Spent about four hours last night in bed thinking about this. I would keep him, but it would not surprize me if it does not work out. Unless we are doing really bad we have to give him the season. Who else can we hire? Maybe the Ajax coach. Then he will just do another rebuilding job.

I think ole needs a few more players as well. Badly need a RW and a ten. I think Perriera and Lingarrd will see out the season and then be relegated to the bench. Just clearly not good enough.

We have already failed with Van Gaal a champions league winner and Mourinho a two time CL winner, so we would be really stuck to find someone else.

I see it getting worse before it gets better though. We badly need Martial back.

Need to sign Sancho, Maddison and a MF in the summer.

Worryingly though our attacking play is terrible. Ole has been here seven or eight months and we have no attacking guile at all. Like City have.
You said it yourself. Our right winger (who isn't one) and our number 10 (who has been atrocious) aren't up to the standard. They need replacing ASAP.

Add in that Martial is injured and Rashford is out of form (exhausted) and of course we don't have any attacking guile. Neither Pep nor Klopp would get a tune out of this set of instruments either.

Massive Spanner

I am not saying he will definitely turn this around - I never have. I'm saying I haven't decided yet. I think he will have a much better chance of doing so when he is able to bring in some better players than what he's got right now. An actual right winger and a number 10, if we buy well, would completely transform this team. At that stage I'll be in the 'no more excuses' camp and will judge him accordingly.

As for your last point - I honestly have no idea. Do I think that the coaching they are receiving is steadily making them a worse team? No I don't. Phelan's presence is a large part of why I think that. He was around for much of Fergusons time and was highly involved in all off-pitch team functions. I just cant envisage a scenario where he is seeing a radically different approach (or quality) in the coaching/training and is just watching it happen.
Of course, no doubt about that. And he's bought well so far... so he could certainly get those players in if he's still here to do it.

But he's already talking about buying a striker in January, and January purchases are notoriously risky and often don't work out. isn't that a concern that shows panic and a lack of planning? He clearly wanted Rashford and Martial to be his main options up front and only 7 weeks after the window closed he's already reverting on that decision.

Whether he even gets to rebuild will depend on results, and the results are bad.. like.. really, really bad, and don't really look like improving, which was my whole point. So we can look toward the next few windows and say he'll maybe do better if he gets these players and whatnot but if we're languishing in the bottom half by the end of the season (a not impossible scenario) then how the hell is he even going to get those players? It's also very likely that our best player fecks off in the summer too which will leave our midfield in even more dire straits.

Sir Scott McToMinay

With a better squad, correct.

Yet Ole done better than Jose last season - interesting point.
You actually think our post Jose run had anything substantial to it other than a few smiles and nice words?
Like you really think there was anything tactical to it or anything to do with coaching?
By the looks of it, it could’ve been literally everyone after Jose who would’ve gone on that run, it was a team coached by Jose and motivated by Ole with a fee nice words in the post match interviews, that’s all it was.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
But when you sack him, who do you appoint?
I said that - even Wenger would be an improvement in at this stage, until end of season.
If you want english, go for Rodgers.
Hasenhüttl isn't a bad option either.

Massive Spanner

You said it yourself. Our right winger (who isn't one) and our number 10 (who has been atrocious) aren't up to the standard. They need replacing ASAP.

Add in that Martial is injured and Rashford is out of form (exhausted) and of course we don't have any attacking guile. Neither Pep nor Klopp would get a tune out of this set of instruments either.
Go look at the Liverpool team that thumped Barca 4-0 and come back to me on that one.

papayafc

Really difficult. I would love to be proved wrong but I just don't see it getting any better for us given the upcoming fixtures.

We need to sack him before top 4 becomes unattainable. We have a huge rebuilding job on our hands and we need to give ourselves the best possible opportunity to attract the best players. A top 4 finish is vital to do this.

But Woodward made his bed and he has to lie in it for now. And I expect he will stubbornly do so at the expense of the team performances, hoping for a miraculous turnaround that doesn't come.

We just look lost on the field. It's a travesty. When Ole eventually goes, we have to put enormous pressure on Woodward too.

Mainoldo

Well he was promised replacements for Herrera and Lukaku, but it never happened. Lukaku could have moved earlier but it was dragged on until last day, so was too late to bring anyone in. He should have been allowed bring someone in before the sale. Herrera and Fellaini moved out without being replaced.

We were left with Matic, Mctominay, Pogba, and Fred for our Midfield. Matic is finished and Fred is not good enough for here, and we don't know if Pogba really wants to be here.
So no matter what manager comes in, we need 5 Top players to compete with City and Liverpool. Will the Glazers and Woody back him.??? A lot of money needed.
Okay but when I see the words back I see Longstaff; Rice and Maddison. With Mandzukic up top because he believes in Rashford and Tony.

So as far as I’m concerned and I don’t need to see this out. We already known where it is going. The same place Moyes was looking to take us. There probably watching videos on Steve Bruce and Pallister getting shown how to defend.

Infra-red

So essentially you're saying let's stick our heads in the sand, sing Ole's at the wheel every match and hopefully no-one outside the club will notice the awful job he is doing? Does that sound reasonable to you?

There is over 80% of the season still to play. Why do you possibly think the season can't be salvaged if we sack him right now?

We're rapidly sliding down the table (will be near relegation places soon), showing consistent relegation form & the performances every week are absolutely dire to put it mildly. What good can come of giving someone like that until the end of the season?
No I don't think the season can be salvaged. I think it's a write off and have been saying so since the start of August - the transfer window was a disaster and the squad is abysmal. We will probably finish somewhere between 6th and 9th, with or without Solskjaer in charge.

I don't believe he's the right person for the job and I don't expect him to be here next season, but I don't see many/any viable alternatives or much upside in sacking him now.

JJ12

You actually think our post Jose run had anything substantial to it other than a few smiles and nice words?
Like you really think there was anything tactical to it or anything to do with coaching?
By the looks of it, it could’ve been literally everyone after Jose who would’ve gone on that run, it was a team coached by Jose and motivated by Ole with a fee nice words in the post match interviews, that’s all it was.
:lol: okay

Luckily social media was around in the late 80's - fans like you (there's plenty more of you) would have had Fergie sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.