Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibi Dreams

That alone is enough reason to fire him. There’s no hiding behind processes, youth players, future transfer windows. That is poor showing.

If that was an exam paper for A Levels would be 16.6%. 16.6% isn‘t even a C, not a D, E, F as well. That is an unclassified grade. How is that even acceptable or defendable? We are Manchester fecking United not Crystal Palace.
That's a nonsensical comparison because those are not the only games we've played this season. I could cherry pick our best results and put as on an A, which would be the same thing you've just done. Actually taking into account all the games we've played and using your analogy, we'd probably be around a C.

b82REZ

Whatever. It’s hard to take seriously an opinion from a man who spends days in the political section of a football forum. If your opinion on me was backed by any meaningful contribution to United discussions, it would have been legitimate.
You're having a mare here mate.

Hawks2008

We have dropped points Palace, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham, Everton, Watford, Sheffield, Villa.

We have 6 league wins in 18 games.

Inexcusable and indefensible.

Amerifan

Let’s take a call at the end of the season.I wasn’t getting too excited when we beat Spurs and City,I”m not too gutted now.I have accepted the fact that there are some serious issues in this team that need to be sorted out,until then we will continue to be infuriatingly inconsistent.Whether Solksjaer can carry forward this rebuilding project is obviously a big question....Let’s analyse the results,performances and the development of young players until the end of the season before taking a call...
Thank you. Knee jerk reactions are astounding. Pogba misses a PK, “he must never be allowed to take one again!”. DDG has a howler, “bench him!”. We have a poor start to the season, “Ole out!”. It’s a sad mindset where no one can improve, no one can figure things out, no one can benefit from experience. The worst that happens by seeing this season out is we don’t make the CL. At this point that ship has sailed. There’s time to reflect with more data over the summer.

-Supreme-

Ole is a very average manager but he is a subset of our problem. The guy who hired him is the problem, a CEO btw who finds it hard to sign more then 3 players per season and see nothing wrong in giving long term contracts to shit players
I would say this is on par if not worst than our recruitment policy, no doubt decisions like these will remain regardless of who we are replacing Ole with unfortunately...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I would say this is on par if not worst than our recruitment policy, no doubt decisions like these will remain regardless of who we are replacing Ole with unfortunately...
That's why I can't see us return to glory unless the Glazers leave. A top manager will improve us slightly but not enough to win major honours.

-Supreme-

That's why I can't see us return to glory unless the Glazers leave. A top manager will improve us slightly but not enough to win major honours.
We badly need a manager that can coach, since Fergie retired I'd say LvG did the best job as at least I saw what he intended to do on the pitch

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I look out for your posts. You tend to be as objective as possible I think so no problem man.

I feel like Ole is maybe laying the right foundations but could he not do that in DOF role? He got rid of certain players and it looks like Phil Jones and Ashley Young (he was good servant for the club, though - but it's time to go) Hopefully Rojo too along with a few others. I know it cannot be done in single window so I would be willing to give him time but we do need an uptick in results, no question about it.

We do lack quality but there is still enough there to be playing decent football and beating the likes of Villa, Watford et al. An odd blip here and there is fine and I totally get that but these statistics in correlation to possession do point to us not having a scooby of how to break teams down.

I agree that the players are at least trying to play for him and he's well liked so that gives me a bit of hope.

I find this very concerning. I think someone like Poch who actually did go to Spurs and solidified them as top, top team by getting almost instant results, getting likes of your Adebayor's out of the club, would be absolutely perfect for United short to mid term. If it goes tits up after 4-5 years like it did for Spurs, then I don't see it as a very big deal because I believe the benefits would outweigh that. He is a brilliant coach, there is no doubt in my mind about that so I think we should get him now that he's available. I think he's better than Ole and that's what it boils down to for me. I think Poch has shown a clear progression in the premier league and I'd love to see him get a bit more money. Again, if Ole is doing the right things at the club then couldn't he just be moved up in a directors role?
I think the issue here is a simple one Max. Ole has never shown the ability or potential to manage a club of United's magnitude and it feels like we have a manager who was given the job after winning the job in a competition. I try and stay out of threads like these normally but it's understandable many are deeply concerned with how things are going under a very inexperienced coaching team. A coaching team so inexperienced that it would be called inexperienced at any club in the division.

Personally i've always maintained that under a different manager we likely would've spent the £150m we spent this summer in a more efficient way which would've seen a more balanced team right now. Spending huge sums on Maguire and AWB was not necessary. Holding onto Smalling and signing a competent experienced fullback from home/abroad was the logical thing to do imo and would've saved us a ton of cash in the process to strengthen the midfield. But Ole seems to have put all his eggs into the defense and blown £130m in the process. Woodward is also culpable and has shown incredible naivety to let things fester which really should cost him his job.

Ole needs to sign a player in January preferably a creative midfielder in the box to box mould to give him a chance of winning the Europa or finishing in the top 4 to give him a chance of staying in the job. If not, then the Glazers will order Woodward to relieve him of his duties. Ole has to push for signings in January and a new midfielder alongside Pogba could swing the pendulum in the short-term.

R'hllor

I stay off after bad results. It's always full of people who seem happy when we lose. Shit supporters essentially. Why waste my time?
Stop making shit up, full of people, yea right, we had posters who expressed openly that they want us to lose in LvG 2nd season post January period, they werent even happy about it. Shit supporters you say, your version of supporting players, you should know all about that.

SinSeven

Sack him, he is average at best.
We should take the chance and sign Poch, he is way superior.

Ole is not the only reason we are bad, but he is not the man to lead a big club back to glory, thats for sure.

Why keep an unproven manager with these sh##y results? Just because he had a small winning streak after taking over?

b82REZ

Yeah, I’m really stressed...

Ole is going to stay at the club long term. This is the mare for you guys.

Ole staying beyond this season is a nightmare for anyone who supports this club. He'll drag us further down while managing to lower expectations among about 48% of our fanbase.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We badly need a manager that can coach, since Fergie retired I'd say LvG did the best job as at least I saw what he intended to do on the pitch
A top manager is indeed needed. As you said we haven't had one since Sir Alex. Moyes & Ole are out of depth while LVG & Mou are dinosaurs. The time when managers saw themselves as chess masters with players being merely pawns in a game is over. Man management is nowadays as important as tactics itself and neither Mou nor LVG had that. Its ironic that we have to remind ourselves that considered we had the Moses/Jesus/Mohammed/Buddha/Mohammed Ali/Martin Luther King/Churchill/Genghis Khan football version of man management. Someone who could whisper in the ear of donkeys such as Cleverley, Phil Nev and co and make them play like absolute stars.

However United need a rebuild and that rebuild won't happen with 3 players every summer. When Sir Alex took over, a clear out was made followed by a massive rebuild. Between 1988 & 1989 we bought 11 players at a time when squads were 15 players strong. A sizeable chunk of those players weren't great but that wasn't the aim either. No one has a 60-70% recruitment success rate, let alone a 100%. The aim under such radical change was to bring the fear of god in the players we already had who were complacent. Now how can anyone take any manager seriously when the CEO comes out saying that he'll be offering long term contracts to players despite them not performing well? What leverage does Ole, Pochs or any manager coming in has when the CEO himself state that if players don't pull their weight then there's little the club can do about it? The message is that all players had to do is to do slightly better of the worst performers and they'll probably remain at the club till retirement.

reddevil80

As Rob Schneider said in "waterboy": You can do it!

So toxicity is gone. Not all but I would say that there is good vibe. Surly frustrated by results but overall there is huge difference looking at last year. We know that we have difficulties winning against worse teams. That can be fixed by getting 2-3 players that can open up those teams. Looking at the bright side, what everyone loves to forget, is that we have been very good against top sides. That means that we have players that can play in certain way. Style. Tactic. Whatever people want to call it. If we can also get players that suits us playing lesser good teams we will suddenly improve as a team and normaly we will have more Points and advance in table.

We are still in hunt for the forth Place (and still in every competition). With couple of additions next month things will look little bit more bright. If we now go for players. I hope we will. At least a central midfielder and attacker.

Winning titles is a long term goal. And if we manage to win some titles this year I would be very happy. However, the club and the team are not ready if we are honest. We have big problems to fix and it can't be fixed overnight. And one year is short period fixing things in football. That is why I don't see that we should have a goal that is winning titles this year. This year should be year where we try to find our roots wich have been pulled from the ground systematicly from the moment Moyes took over to the Mourinho having small breakdown before last season. We are or at least have been broken force for a couple of years.

You are talking about 80s and football is different now. Playing for the badge is rare in football, while playing for € is more common. What you should be glad of is that Ole is trying to balance that. If you don't want to be here in the club, if you don't want to accept and be in the system then you are off. No matter what "name" you are. I hope that he keeps going the same way in the future. There are players who should be gone. If it is because of quality or attitude don't matter. But that takes time. You can't change whole team in one summer. It costs. Not just in money but as a group and a team.

Is Solskjaer manager that will take us to the glory days? I don't know. Time will tell. What I see is that he is doing things right. And as I have said milion times. Things takes time. Lets pretend new manager comes in tommorow. You couldn't say to him "go now and win it all". Because there is not quality enough. Even a new manager would need couple of years.
All these points seem to me that he doesn't know how to open up " lesser " teams with the players we have, right?

So we have some of the youngest, brightest, quickest players in Europe and they can't open them up?

We have had the same struggles for the last few years correct?

So he has been here for a year and I will ask you again, what improvements have you seen by him? Surely you don't believe that just getting rid of deadwood and bringing in youth is the way forward for this mighty club? You even say yourself that we need more players, I agree wholeheartedly, we do need some new players but the players we may or may not get will surely look at Ole's tactical mindset and ask, " what's the alternative when teams sit back and defend?" They need a manager/coach who can adapt his game plans accordingly and I have failed to see any diversion of footballing tactics with Ole.

If we don't go and score in the first 20-25 min's of sustained attack, then we lose, simple as that. He doesn't have a clue about how to dovetail and create space for the squad to attack. Our midfield don't drive at the oppo's anywhere near as much as the top teams which would create a stronger, more forceful unit. He has them standing still, waiting for the ball and hoping the attackers will get forward. Surely he knows that in training, he can implement drills which will get the mid attacking and having the strikers running across the back line and pass into the space where the attackers can collect and attack?

He is inept.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think the issue here is a simple one Max. Ole has never shown the ability or potential to manage a club of United's magnitude and it feels like we have a manager who was given the job after winning the job in a competition. I try and stay out of threads like these normally but it's understandable many are deeply concerned with how things are going under a very inexperienced coaching team. A coaching team so inexperienced that it would be called inexperienced at any club in the division.

Personally i've always maintained that under a different manager we likely would've spent the £150m we spent this summer in a more efficient way which would've seen a more balanced team right now. Spending huge sums on Maguire and AWB was not necessary. Holding onto Smalling and signing a competent experienced fullback from home/abroad was the logical thing to do imo and would've saved us a ton of cash in the process to strengthen the midfield. But Ole seems to have put all his eggs into the defense and blown £130m in the process. Woodward is also culpable and has shown incredible naivety to let things fester which really should cost him his job.

Ole needs to sign a player in January preferably a creative midfielder in the box to box mould to give him a chance of winning the Europa or finishing in the top 4 to give him a chance of staying in the job. If not, then the Glazers will order Woodward to relieve him of his duties. Ole has to push for signings in January and a new midfielder alongside Pogba could swing the pendulum in the short-term.
Yeah in hindsight we could have went for a cheaper alternative to Slabhead and Awb. Both decent but nowhere near the 130 million. Though, I still stand by having Ole as DOF. It's clear were not going to have one so it may as well be him. I at least like the fact that he's got Sanchez and Lukaku out the door. Looks like calamity Phil is up next. Its It's something in my eyes. Totally inept as a tactitan though.

Oh and you're better off staying out. This gets heated at times.

Foxbatt

You need to have options of winning matches. He is an idiot to sell Fellaini. The problem with Fellaini was Jose used him as plan A and B too.
Even Barca used to have a tall CF when Cruijff was the manager. He used him when he can't take teams who defend deep

dove

Yeah, I’m really stressed...

Ole is going to stay at the club long term. This is the mare for you guys.
Of course it is a mare. The thought of seeing Ole in charge next season is seriously frightening. I want to believe that Ed is already looking for replacement but who knows, maybe Ole managed to delude not only our fans but Ed as well. Apparently all you need to have a support of our fans is talk about United way, youth and imaginable progress.

Greck

Yeah in hindsight we could have went for a cheaper alternative to Slabhead and Awb. Both decent but nowhere near the 130 million. Though, I still stand by having Ole as DOF. It's clear were not going to have one so it may as well be him. I at least like the fact that he's got Sanchez and Lukaku out the door. Looks like calamity Phil is up next. Its It's something in my eyes. Totally inept as a tactitan though.

Not sure about the DoF thing, not even as a ceremonial role. AWB and Maguire actually weren't a great fit for a team wanting to play high up the pitch. All he knew was he wanted a British core. The other factors went out the window. That kind of decision making isn't ideal. 50m for Maddison too if the club was willing to fully back him. The transfer policy is even less creative than his tactics

b82REZ

But he gave Jones the contract and offloaded the more reliable of the maligned "England's future CBs".

Paxi

Not sure about the DoF thing, not even as a ceremonial role. AWB and Maguire actually weren't a great fit for a team wanting to play high up the pitch. All he knew was he wanted a British core. The other factors went out the window. That kind of decision making isn't ideal. 50m for Maddison too if the club was willing to fully back him. The transfer policy is even less creative than his tactics
I think AWB and Maguire were clear choices. Awb had a great season for Palace and Maguire is a mainstay for England. I could see a lot of managers signing them if given the funds. James I'm happy about. But all in all all 3 have been relatively successful for us, even if we massively overpaid for the two of them. If he is trying to change the culture. If Ole is signing the players who he feels have the mentality to make it here then I don't see why he can't give us one his pep talks about the future whilst someone more competent is taking charge of the training sessions. He's at least going to be better than the two bankers that run things there now.

Paxi

But he gave Jones the contract and offloaded the more reliable of the maligned "England's future CBs".
I don't think he gives anyone new contracts. It's ultimately down to Woodward. Jones wasn't wanted by anyone so next logical step was to retain him as we operate as more of business than a club who wants to compete.

ghagua

Will always love Ole as the player he was, but he should have been sacked a while back. I would sack him on the spot right now if I had the chance. Woody will wait as usual and then end up appointing someone in a panic because other top managers have been taken. Looking forward to a twosome of Carrick and Phelan in charge.

R'hllor

Well giving contract to Jones made sense at the time, protecting asset you know, man, people really spout some drivel just to defend certain decisions.

vidic blood & sand

Ole may well be sacked at the end of the season, but it's pretty pointless to sack him now. We would not break in to the top 4 even if SAF came back.
I can't think of anyone who is an obvious replacement to Ole right now, and a temporary change to the end of the season could be disastrous.
He'll get till the end of the season, and then a decision will be made. That's pretty much common sense to me.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
What is excatly do we have to lose by signing Poch? He kept Spurs in the top 4 for years with almost zero net spend, while we have only finished in the top 4 twice with a much much higher netspend. He's far more proven to deliver what we are looking atm. Ole is not proven whatsoever in the PL. It's our worst start to a season in 30 years or something like that and even clubs like Cardiff don't want him. He's a ex-player and all and a gentleman, but he simply doesn't have the pedigree to be here. Thank god we dodged the bullet with Zidane.

Foxbatt

We are missing Fellaini now :lol:

We are missing someone who can head hold the ball and head the ball. It's ok to sell him but only if a replacement could be found who is better.
Only an idiot would think Periera has been better than Fellaini.

waza7111

Will always love Ole as the player he was, but he should have been sacked a while back. I would sack him on the spot right now if I had the chance. Woody will wait as usual and then end up appointing someone in a panic because other top managers have been taken. Looking forward to a twosome of Carrick and Phelan in charge.
Imagine if Carrick becomes interim manager and then wins his first 10 games due to the new manager bounce. Then fans make up chants of "Carrick's at the wheel" and he gets the job permanently only for us to go back to mediocrity.

That's the nightmare scenario for me so I think we should just stick with Solskjaer and get Pochettino in the summer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We are missing someone who can head hold the ball and head the ball. It's ok to sell him but only if a replacement could be found who is better.
Only an idiot would think Periera has been better than Fellaini.
Only an idiot would think it's option between Pereira or Fellaini.

Rafaeldagold

Thank you. Knee jerk reactions are astounding. Pogba misses a PK, “he must never be allowed to take one again!”. DDG has a howler, “bench him!”. We have a poor start to the season, “Ole out!”. It’s a sad mindset where no one can improve, no one can figure things out, no one can benefit from experience. The worst that happens by seeing this season out is we don’t make the CL. At this point that ship has sailed. There’s time to reflect with more data over the summer.
That ‘ship has sailed’ exactly because we have a piss poor manager! Jesus it’s infuriating

Rafaeldagold

Totally agree I wish LVG had longer, you could tell he was a good coach who could implement a style on a team. Nowadays we just go from game to game with no pattern of play

passing-wind

Totally agree I wish LVG had longer, you could tell he was a good coach who could implement a style on a team. Nowadays we just go from game to game with no pattern of play
It's embarrassing, I'm glad to see I'm not only one who questions Solskjaers coaching credentials. Ole is not a bad tactician hence our results against the top teams but he's useless by way of philosophy, pattern of play, coaching directive, team cohesion.

Ole is a shiny toy version of Mourinho, he's a defensive minded manager, soak up pressure and hit em on the break. Basic level coach.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We were awful under LVG as well. The truth is almost all our managers have been awful. Mourinho had a decent 2nd season and that's it really.

el3mel

To sign more crap players and play even more boring football ? No thanks. Just because Ole is a terrible manager doesn't mean LVG was good. I still remember being tortured every game trying to force myself to watch a full 90 minutes of us passing sideways and backwards and not trying to go forward once, with games ending 0-0 or 1-0 either way. He had a style for sure, but it was a crap one, a defensive in its own, just without parking the bus.

The guy was totally crap here. Forget him.

R'hllor

Funny thing about LvG, we played how he wanted or some version of it, now that way being boring shit is different thing.

roonster09

Scout
So Ole is an idiot then? He played Periera and Lingard almost all the time.
Lingard played before Fellaini was sold too.

We didn't need replacement for Fellaini ffs, we needed one for Lukaku. You don't keep player just to lump the ball forward. That's when CBs are pushed forward.

roonster09

Scout
Funny thing about LvG, we played how he wanted or some version of it, now that way being boring shit is different thing.
Problem is we are so shit that people again want to go back to less shit version instead of looking forward for good coaches. Same with players too.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he had a DOF forcing him who to buy - he would have balanced Rashford, Martial to how they are playing now. Give memphis a season centrally and buy left footed RW. Smalling & Blind would be better with potentially another CB like maguire. He himself said what that team lacked was midfield creativity - which we still lack to this day. Add that and he would have gone by the 3rd season & all he wanted to do was give the job on to someone at United to build to take over like Giggs, Butt or even Ole.

I found the whole Jose Lindelof, Lukaku, Zlatan, Bailly tenure an absolute waste of time & we are left behind with what would have happened if LVG got one extra year. We might have unearthed and extra young player with confidence aswell.

Was never going to happen though - fans hated LVG at the time and purely wanted to win even with **** on their face so they went for Mourinho. Now that this failed some people want to cut and restart again. The fact is LVG was saying that he was imprinting a DNA of how to play at the club & whilst it was too restrictive - all it needed was players of more creativity and a future manager to take than on and untie the tight shoe laces off a bit.

Getting a possession based manager or even a manager who even had experience managing a possession based team would have been a better step forward than Jose for me - even someone like Luis Enrique who I see nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.