Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edgecutter

50% of voters. Most will be rage votes after a defeat.
I am delighted when we win, but it seems some people are turning this into ole fc rather than Manchester United. I don't think ole is good enough to help us challenge, but you better believe that I support my team regardless of results. Just because you think you should stick by a manager doesn't make you a better fan.

432JuanMata

Man, however you put it, it actually means “keep”. “Keep” means no “sack”.
Well I kept it that way as I feel in the long term we won’t get CL or he won’t be good enough but I could be proved wrong as I said I just voted and haven’t bothered changing anything, I feel we won’t get top 4 but we have every chance

vidic blood & sand

Ask yourself this, can we challenge with ole at the helm?
Even if you don't think we should be challenging, some of the football and clueless tactics are enough to suggest the job is too big for him. Just because we beat Burnley and Newcastle shouldn't cloud your memory about some of the atrocious management we have seen this year.
Of course we need to improve, but we have been improving apart from lingard. Yes we"ve inconsistent, and that will improve with some additional quality midfield purchases. Rashford's on fire, Williams and Greenwood doing well, Fred improving all the time, and James more than just potential.
If we were offered 5th place by christmas with a midfield of Fred, Pereira, and Mactominay, we"d have grabbed it.
Until we get to the place where there's no improvement, Ole should stay.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I am delighted when we win, but it seems some people are turning this into ole fc rather than Manchester United. I don't think ole is good enough to help us challenge, but you better believe that I support my team regardless of results. Just because you think you should stick by a manager doesn't make you a better fan.
Who said having a different opinion makes anyone a better fan?

I was just pointing out I don't believe a 50/50 split (or whatever it is) is a true representation of the whole fanbase at this point in time.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Well I kept it that way as I feel in the long term we won’t get CL or he won’t be good enough but I could be proved wrong as I said I just voted and haven’t bothered changing anything, I feel we won’t get top 4 but we have every chance
What makes you think we are not getting CL football when we are just 1 point off 4th place and this team is ridiculously good at important matches (read Europa playoffs)? Why not keep Ole at this stage?

OrcaFat

Ask yourself this, can we challenge with ole at the helm?
Even if you don't think we should be challenging, some of the football and clueless tactics are enough to suggest the job is too big for him. Just because we beat Burnley and Newcastle shouldn't cloud your memory about some of the atrocious management we have seen this year.
There has been no atrocious management. We lost some games we shouldn’t have and we sometimes played badly but the stuff that gets spouted about Ole’s poor tactics and subs and man management or whatever springs to mind just sounds like total nonsense to me.
I’ve enjoyed watching us most games and we’re picking up more points. A nice end to the year and, a top four challenge to come, I think. Next season top three, then title challenges soon after. Club culture sorted and a firm foundation for the next 10 years.

The above will actually make some people angry which is a shame, but hey.

vidic blood & sand

Fergie was given more time than today's standard, I give you that. Pedigree or not he wont last till he won his first in today's era.

But Ole got away with alot more, for much less.

Fergie got 2nd on his first year, comes managing us fresh from Aberdeen huge unprecedented success. He actually earnt that benefit of doubt, Ole hasn't earn anything as a manager.

So no, giving fergie more time isn't the same as giving ole more time.
Fergie inherited a far better squad. He had to do what Ole's had to do, clear the non committed big name players.
If we keep improving since August, there's no reason to sack.

lsd

The Oracle
Moyes failed to get top four . Van Gaal failed one in Two attempts and Mourinho failed to make top four twice in three attempts.

If Ole makes it this season in his first attempt he deserves to be rated above those 3 especially as he has had to rebuild the team physically and mentally after the mess Mourinho left it in

lysglimt

Scout
Fergie inherited a far better squad. He had to do what Ole's had to do, clear the non committed big name players.
If we keep improving since August, there's no reason to sack.
In fairness - he didn't. Fergie inherited a crap squad with aging and injury-ridden players with a completely wrong mentality. 1 single players of the team that started the 1986/87-season was at United after the summer of 1989. Bryan Robson

Keefy18

Also remember that Fergie rocked up as the new young & very successful Aberdeen manager that had just broken the Old Firm monopoly.

As for Ole - he is just a playing legend end of.

Klopp successful in the Germany & now here. We need to be targetting Scouserpool in 3 years not this medium term re-build. In business, companies do sharp turn arounds and at the same time put in place sustainable success. Ed should understand this as a accountant, except the wassack spent money willy nilly on crap, overpaid crap[ and appointed the wrong men. If he and Glazers had the cojones when we were all calling for Moyes head and stuck with him for another 5 months hey presto = Klopp. Why the feck would he have gone to Scouserpool.

Life and business is about timing & Ed royally screwed it up 5 years back. Its now about timing again and Ole is not the man. We need to spend in Jan i.e. supplement the "turn around" aspect of this process and then go for the next new thing in management and spend heavily in the next two windows, Just not convinced its Potch.
Woodward didn't hire Moyes, he wasn't CEO at that point. Gill was the CEO and he was the one who hired Moyes.

Woodward inherited Moyes.

BTW, Companies ideally like to do "sharp turn around's" but that doesn't always happen. You mention Liverpool in your ramblings, well... they too didn't have a "quick turn around" themselves.

Fenway Sports Group (FSG) bought out Liverpool from Gillet & Hicks in Autumn 2010... They didn't win a feckin trophy for 6 years! They hired and fired managers annually in Hodgson and Dalglish. Rodgers had what, 2 and a bit seasons?

Complete revisionist.

Robbie Boy

I have to add, posters that declare themselves staunch 'Ole in' or staunch 'Ole out' are the most irritating attention seeking posters on here. All they do is run and gloat in every Ole related thread after a win/loss. They then bitch and moan and can't take the same stick they were giving others when a result doesn't suit their in/out narrative. It's so fecking repetitive and tedious and it offers nothing in any form of an objective rational discussion. The funniest part is how both sides see themselves as so much better and well informed than the other.

OrcaFat

I have to add, posters that declare themselves staunch 'Ole in' or staunch 'Ole out' are the most irritating attention seeking posters on here. All they do is run and gloat in every Ole related thread after a win/loss. They then bitch and moan and can't take the same stick they were giving others when a result doesn't suit their in/out narrative. It's so fecking repetitive and tedious and it offers nothing in any form of an objective rational discussion. The funniest part is how both sides see themselves as so much better and well informed than the other.
The neutrals are the worst.

Robbie Boy

Normal objective posters are great tbf, ones that want him to stay/go but don't need to act like a Kardashian craving attention just because they have an opinion.

It's the ones that want to run around the forum with a big in/out neon sign around their neck craving attention that are amusing. The amusing part is watching them get into a state when they can't take the stick that they dished out days prior.

vidic blood & sand

It's called "having an opinion". Dont take it so seriously.

SteveW

I'm happy to listen to anyone's opinion on this as long as it looks like some thought has gone into it and they make decent arguments.

There hasn't been much of that unfortunately

vidic blood & sand

I think a lot of people dont realise just how lucky we were to find a manager like SAF, and have him for so long.
It very nearly didn't work out for him as well.
As for Ole, it's likely that he will not be a big success at United, but no manager guarantees success.
Ron Atkinson achieved more success in four years than SAF, but he was unable to take us to the next level. Two cups and top four finishes.
Potchettino couldn't take Spurs to the next level, so what makes you think he can do so with us?
Ole must get financial backing to improve the midfield, and attack, and if he does, he then needs to get us firmly back in the top 4. Then challenge for the title. This season we will be inconsistent, not because Ole is a poor manager, but because the squad lacks creativity.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ranking the quality of our players compared to other teams I'd say we're a close 5th . City Tottenham and Liverpool clearly have better players than us. I also feel Leceister has a better squad than us not just player quality wise but their squad is very balanced. They have a proven goal scorer in Vardy, two good creators in Maddison and Tielemans and one of best DMs currently in Ndidi. They also have two attacking fullbacks in Chilwell and Pereira.

Anything less than 5th should be considered a bad season for Ole and should be sacked in my opinion. I'd also consider how well he does in cups. But fifth position is where the bar should be. In the end this is football and this premier league and anything can happen but logically speaking we have the 5th best squad in the league and if our manager can't take us to 5th or higher then he should be sacked.

Last edited:

Raven

I voted for sacking him back in October. I have now changed my vote, I am now seeing that his vision is taking effect and I want to see where it takes us. I fully expect us to get top 4, provided we can get a handle on our injuries.

Stadjer

Why? I see myself as a neutral and i think it is better than being in one of the camps.

Someone from the Ole in camp had typed : 'There is ZERO REASON to fire Ole' but that just isnt true. You can come up with good reasons to fire Ole but you can just as well come up with reasons to keep him.

Ole his tactics might be a bit..... lacking from time to time but so is the quality of his players. I think Ole deserves some praise for turning Fred into a footballer but that he keeps wasting minutes on Lingard isnt something i like.

I havent even voted on the poll because it is hard to choose.... not that it matters much anyway since it has no impact.

Davìd Moyéz

This squad clearly isn't ready to win trophies. I think there's a lot to be said for the argument that OGS isn't a bad person to oversee this period as he isn't interested in making short term selfish signings. If he has the next couple of transfer windows and is struggling this time next season I'm sure he'll be sacked but I'm pretty confident that he will at least be leaving his successor a better, younger, more balanced squad to work with than what Ole had when he joined.

Foxbatt

I have not changed my vote yet. I still think he is not the right choice to United.

Paul_Scholes18

Would not do it right now, but we should look for a better manager next season even if we manage to grind our way to top 4. Our squad has the potential to do much better and I want a manager to get the best out of the squad.
Although if we actually have a great spring and say win the league cup or Europa league with a commanding top 4 finnish then we should probably keep him.

RUCK4444

Would not do it right now, but we should look for a better manager next season even if we manage to grind our way to top 4. Our squad has the potential to do much better and I want a manager to get the best out of the squad.
Although if we actually have a great spring and say win the league cup or Europa league with a commanding top 4 finnish then we should probably keep him.
Do ya think? To do that with the weakest United squad we’ve perhaps ever seen, strewn with injuries including our best player almost all season and playing teenagers would be like the second coming of SAF himself.

Paul_Scholes18

Do ya think? To do that with the weakest United squad we’ve perhaps ever seen, strewn with injuries including our best player almost all season and playing teenagers would be like the second coming of SAF himself.
It is a thin squad up front, but not a bad one. If we add a good 10/winger and one more top striker it would be good enough to challenge under a top manager.
Our fullbacks are bit poor in attack so that could be a problem, but they are good at defending.
De geas form is a problem too of course, but we could use Henderson for next season.
For this season winning a cup could be great and I hope we can manage that. In the league we should be able to get 65-70 points which may give CL football.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I have not changed my vote yet. I still think he is not the right choice to United.
I'm not sure about his managerial expertise in terms of pure philosophy, at least not enough to consider thinking about longevity with him. But, the right choice for United right now? I do think he is. I trust him with managing our youngsters and I do believe in the longevity of them. The jury is still out on buying players to strengthen the team, and most of that is on Ed anyway and that whole mess. For now, I appreciate the good things we get with Ole that it seems many take for granted.

mav_9me

I have been very disappointed by his coaching and lack of improvement in general in our play.

And while Burnley were poor today and we weren't great in general either, I thought it is great credit to him how Fred has been performing, how Matic and Williams played coming in after a while.

Dread Devil

Ole in, at least until the end of the season and maybe one more..

Why, any manager that can move on Lukaku and Sanchez, get seasoned pros (who most of us don't rate) like Matic and Young to put a shift in whilst also breeding youngsters like Williams and Greenwood and still get some good results and keep us in contention needs our support.

I believe in United and know Ole does as well, give him a chance...........

I haven't been excited by our front four since the early 90's and we all know what happened then, if it doesn't work they will have all had lots of experience and will prosper under a new manager....

Paul_Scholes18

Got to say his man management appears to be pretty good at least in terms of keeping the squad happy. Big improvement from Mourinho. Although sometimes angry players looking for revenge could be good if you drop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.