Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
He tried to sign Dybala, Erikssen and Mandzukic you dope.
Yeah you’re absolutely correct . They were all clearly thought out and planned targets. Obviously Dybala and Mandzukic were his targets of choice and not just him reacting to Juventus. Obviously Eriksen was also a planned target not just some last minute name he decided to try his luck with.

el3mel

Why are people saying there is no replacement? For once Allegri is actually available, and regardless of him playing poor football he will have an idea or 2 on how to coach a team. Poch will be available in short time. It's fine if you have problem with either but at the end they are light years ahead of our current manager.

el3mel

We've been asking for the deadwood gone and he's got rid of most of them bar 4 more players (Young, Mata, Jones, Rojo).

I think if he can get rid of them soon and hopefully find the right players to replace them.

I think people forget how poor this squad is three different managers have had their input and we're a mess
Who are the deadwood who are gone? I will say Sanchez and Darmian only (the latter was playing about 6 games a year or so). Maybe Valencia if we are stretching it. Lukaku, Fellaini, Smalling and Herrera weren't deadwood, far from it. They were all very useful squad options who helped us on multiple occasions even if they have defects.

He didn't clear the deadwood. Him and Woodward just fecked up the squad. That's it.

SteveW

Yeah you’re absolutely correct . They were all clearly thought out and planned targets. Obviously Dybala and Mandzukic were his targets of choice and not just him reacting to Juventus. Obviously Eriksen was also a planned target not just some last minute name he decided to try his luck with.
So he's not restricting himself to British players. You were talking shit.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
So he's not restricting himself to British players. You were talking shit.
Do you honestly thing he went into the window thinking Dybala, Eriksen, Mandzukic? He’s planned targets were Longstaff and Rice... the 3 you mentioned shows were him reacting and show how incompetent, indecisive, and not in control he is, and he didn’t even get any one of the 3.

ryansgirl

My issue with Eddie Howe is that his teams are way too open and this would be a huge non starter if this continued at a top 6 club. I personally would rate Ole as the defensive opposite to Howe and think that if we were to replace Ole, the new manager should be able to implement solid attack and defense.
Logical post.

I think the only alternative to Ole is if a genuinely accomplished manager with at least a few trophies wants to come to United in its present situation or is contractually free to do so. However, it doesn't seem there are any available.

As for the Pochettino pushers - this bloke hasn't won anything with a far better squad than ours, Spurs has just been caned by Bayern 7 - 2 although those results can happen on a bad European night, the bloke is nowhere near to winning the European Cup or Premier League title than United is, forget him.

I got off my high horse about Eddie Howe and did some research as I was advised months ago by some posters here. He is young, intelligent as a football manager and a person, has achieved something with Bournemouth that frankly has not happened for decades in the top level of English football let alone the money splurging, professional, upswing in standards Premier League.

He has the brains to change tactics and with the addition of new strikers/midfield players, would not leave the team wide open. Ole would and will be much better with new players, too, and it would be counter-productive as well as other things to sack him before he has finished the task he was brought in to do.

However, if he has as big a target on his back from the board that he has from some fairweather fans, sections of the media and thickheads like Jamie Carragher and Steve Whathisname who cannot forgive Manchester United its Premier League titles while Liverpool have none, put Ole in the newly created Football Directorship and bring in Eddie Howe if we can't land a top manager with experience and silverware at the highest level.

Last edited:

SteveW

Really surprised there is a poll up already. We are what 7 games into a season. He has cleared out a few players 99% of fans wanted rid of and bought 3 players that have improved us defensively at least. Yes we are struggling for goals and the injury to Martial hasn't helped that. Its clear we are 4(ST, RW, AM & CM) players short of being a really good team but I accept the reality of the situation. Ole is on the right path, stick by him, enjoy the ride, there is going to be lots of frustrating results, we knew that, if a serial winner like Mourinho cant get us back to the top in 3 years, then it goes to show there isn't an instant fix to the situation we find ourselves in. We have to build and he is going about it the right way in my opinion. Buying players that want to play here, emphasis on quick transitional play and a cultural change that was badly needed. Im not happy about the start, no fan can be, but he knows what needs to be done.
The consensus was clear. This is a long term plan, there will be no quick fixes. 7 years of bad recruitment won't be fixed in one transfer window. Too many players don't care about the club, too many are nowhere good enough. We need to change the culture. Sign better payers and develop the young players. It's going to take time.

But 7 games into the season look where we are.

United supporters wanting immediate success. When they don't get it, looking for scapegoats.

Deep down every one of them knows that no amount of coaching is going to get Young, Matic, Fred, Periera, Lingard and Mata playing good football. They know injuries have decimated an already weak squad. They know most of the dropped points have been down to individual errors as opposed to tactics or coaching.

But they're spoilt and when spoilt people don't get what they want they get angry and want to blame someone. They want someone punished for the fact that they haven't got what they wanted.

So they go on to the internet and moan and talk in vague terms about things they know little about. And they make threads wanting rid of the first manager we've had in years who actually seems to know how to sign quality players. They dismiss the obvious change in focus towards hard work and young players as empty words. And they pretend to know about tactics while typically offering nothing specific about those tactics they are supposedly critiquing (empty words)

These people make a lot of noise but offer little to nothing in terms of solutions or even useful suggestions. All they really do is drag down the mood and create a shitty atmosphere. Best ignored really.

SteveW

Moyes tried to sign Bale, Fabregas and Ronaldo. Does that make any difference?
Did someone say Moyes was restricting himself to British players? If not then it's pretty irrelevant to the point isn't it?

SteveW

Do you honestly thing he went into the window thinking Dybala, Eriksen, Mandzukic? He’s planned targets were Longstaff and Rice... the 3 you mentioned shows were him reacting and show how incompetent, indecisive, and not in control he is, and he didn’t even get any one of the 3.
Saying the same thing again doesn't make what you said any more correct. If he was restricting himself to British players he wouldn't be bidding for foreigners. Your assertion was incorrect.

el3mel

Did someone say Moyes was restricting himself to British players? If not then it's pretty irrelevant to the point isn't it?
From that perspective then actually our primary targets for the summer were All British yeah.

Dybala and Mandzukic happened when Juve wanted a swap deal for Lukaku. Eriksen was a panic option and we didn't bid for him. Longstaff too.

So if you were trying to prove to him a certain point that Ole isn't targeting British players I don't get how mentioning these names makes your point any stronger.

It's not like we went to Juve to ask them for Dybala and Mandzukic. The opposite happened. They wanted to hijack Lukaku-Inter deal by offering these 2 as a swap option.

SteveW

From that perspective then actually our primary targets for the summer were All British yeah.

Dybala and Mandzukic happened when Juve wanted a swap deal for Lukaku. Eriksen was a panic option and we didn't bid for him. Longstaff too.

So if you were trying to prove to him a certain point that Ole isn't targeting British players I don't get how mentioning these names makes your point any stronger.

It's not like we went to Juve to ask them for Dybala and Mandzukic. The opposite happened. They wanted to hijack Lukaku-Inter deal by offering these 2 as a swap option.
I was proving that he isn't "restricting" himself to British players. It sometimes helps to read the actual words written instead of replying to what you want to reply to.

el3mel

I was proving that he isn't "restricting" himself to British players. It sometimes helps to read the actual words written instead of replying to what you want to reply to.
He didn't bid for these players. Your point is simply either invalid or your evidence on it is pretty weak. Listing names only without contest isn't going to make your replay on him any stronger. These players were offered to us, not the opposite.

saivet

The only positives I have read regarding Ole is his management of squad composition by getting rid of deadwood and making good signing. The fact that this what people are clinging to is worrying in itself.

From a footballing perspective he is clearly out of his depth and we will be forced to sack him sooner or later.

I also disagree with the idea that sacking managers is the problem. Our issue is making poor managerial appointments. There were big red flags on every manager before we appointed them (Mourinho the least).

Let's see how they are doing since being sacked.
Moyes - failed at every other club he's been to and currently out of work
LVG - didn't land a new job and now retired
Mourinho - struggling to find a top team to take him on and currently out of work

We didn't break these managers, they were simply poor (I would call Jose more of a calculated risk) appointments.

No PL sides (or any team in a top league) will be interested in Ole after we sack him (even Moyes had options after United) and he will head back to Norway.

To me it's not a matter of if we should sack Ole, but when. The fear I think we all have is we will make yet another poor appointment, but as far as coaches go, we will struggle to find one worse than him.

ryansgirl

It could be a case of a swift turnaround if Ole can sign Sancho and two other high quality players who can slot easily into the Premier League/team and don't have issues. United's key problem is the inadequate squad, it has become thinner in key areas despite great signings in Aaron and Harry.

Players of real class bring know-how and confidence as long as they have the right attitude. Jadon knows the England lads of course and has played with them. What I worry about is United no longer seeming attractive for such players.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Logical post.

I think the only alternative to Ole is if a genuinely accomplished manager with at least a few trophies wants to come to United in its present situation or is contractually free to do so. However, it doesn't seem there are any available ........... bring in Eddie Howe if we can't land a top manager with experience and silverware at the highest level.
I think Jose Mourinho and LvG might both be available!

MisterLupus

This. Any dissent against Ole's incompetence translates to you don't know the club and you are not a true supporter despite abundant evidence he is woefully out of his depth and is only riding on the ex-player and legend train at the moment. Absolute nonsense!
Heard this nonsense before it's getting so Boring... :yawn:

But hey I guess if you repeat a lie often enough and you're something of a simpleton then chances are you'll start believing it. And it is a lie because the only people I hear saying this - that we should keep him because he's a club legend - are you guys - his haters. You make this shit up to discredit those who disagree with you despite them never having made that point themselves - while the ones supporting him usually makes good and often lengthy assessments as to why they feel it's still too soon to dismiss him. You have no real counter to what they're actually saying - the points actually made by them - so you just fabricate this bullcrap pretending this what motivates them then focus on that instead. It's not something anyone who's hit maturity is able to take serious - not exactly the hallmarks of a gifted person who's convictions holds any relevance whatsoever sorry to say but more that of a moron.

Good luck with that I suppose - being a moron. I've heard you guys are happier at least :lol:

ryansgirl

I think Jose Mourinho and LvG might both be available!
You're a supporter of another club. What do you think of our situation re the blame game from United supporters and the panic mode that seems to be setting in among some of them?

Unlike some supporters I can hunker down and accept Manchester United is going to take time to get back to where it was without slagging the manager and screeching from the rooftops because our team is being re-built and some players are not up to being first team players.

meamth

Well at least that 38% of voters are in the minority.

Great to see the support towards Ole is still in his favor.

But I guess if we didnt turn this around before christmas, I can see the poll getting reversed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We need a director of football so they can decide whether they should sack Ole or no. Once it's been decided, let's say the decision is that Ole is sacked then the director of football need to find a manager that suit our philosophy. The philosophy is simple, a manager who plays good football, trusting & know how to developing young player.

Ed got not clue about football & United fans. We shouldn't let him making the decision.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
You're a supporter of another club. What do you think of our situation re the blame game from United supporters and the panic mode that seems to be setting in among some of them?

Unlike some supporters I can hunker down and accept Manchester United is going to take time to get back to where it was without slagging the manager and screeching from the rooftops because our team is being re-built and some players are not up to being first team players.
  • Apart from the West Ham game, you are not nearly as bad as many here seem to think.
  • I think there is a clear strategy from Ole, whether it is the right one or not remains to be seen, but i don't think he is clueless
  • Sacking him would be madness at the moment, changing managers from one style to another is one of the big problems you've had
  • You need someone to be DoF, personally I think that could be Ole with a more experienced manager, but Ed needs to stop using it a PR tool when things go wrong.
  • 4 managers have struggled now since SAF retired, makes you wonder if it's the managers that are the problem or is ot the ownership overseeing decay?
  • You're defence is far better than it was last season, you're attack hasn't suffered for losing Sanchez, Lukaku is a different story, but reading between the lines he was a destablising influence in the dressing room so needed to go. So you're transfer window wasnt the disaster some make out.
  • You put too much pressure on youth, James should be being eased in but die to the way Utd is seen he is somehow suddenly your best hope and the creative spark that will make the difference, I can see this happening to Greenwood and Gomes as well, it's a dangerous way to treat young players
  • Question why you are getting so many injuries - is there an issue there?
  • More than anything you need a period of stability, keep Ole enjoy the ride, let him build over 3 seasons, if you finish 7th or 8th one year so what, you'll have ups and downs but your young team will mature, give them the freedom to feck up occasionally, the pressure will do them no good whatsoever, your fans at the games have the right idea, your fans on twitter don't!
  • Ignore the press and journos they get paid to make a story
  • Back to point one you're better than alot of people seem to think

ash_86

• Apart from the West Ham game, you are not nearly as bad as many here seem to think.
  • I think there is a clear strategy from Ole, whether it is the right one or not remains to be seen, but i don't think he is clueless
  • Sacking him would be madness at the moment, changing managers from one style to another is one of the big problems you've had
  • You need someone to be DoF, personally I think that could be Ole with a more experienced manager, but Ed needs to stop using it a PR tool when things go wrong.
  • 4 managers have struggled now since SAF retired, makes you wonder if it's the managers that are the problem or is ot the ownership overseeing decay?
  • You're defence is far better than it was last season, you're attack hasn't suffered for losing Sanchez, Lukaku is a different story, but reading between the lines he was a destablising influence in the dressing room so needed to go. So you're transfer window wasnt the disaster some make out.
  • You put too much pressure on youth, James should be being eased in but die to the way Utd is seen he is somehow suddenly your best hope and the creative spark that will make the difference, I can see this happening to Greenwood and Gomes as well, it's a dangerous way to treat young players
  • More than anything you need a period of stability, keep Ole enjoy the ride, let him build over 3 seasons, if you finish 7th or 8th one year so what, you'll have ups and downs but your young team will mature, give them the freedom to feck up occasionally, the pressure will do them no good whatsoever, your fans at the games have the right idea, your fans on twitter don't!
Thanks for this post. Very well said.

SteveW

It's sad when it takes an opposition supporter to say something sensible about your club.

This is what it sounds like when someone is not infected with the "where's my instant gratifcation? who to I blame/punish?" mind sickness that seems to infect the online portion of our fanbase.

It's a time for cool heads.

Viral United

Very well said,

SirMattlives

Yes, it takes an outsider to see the bigger pic, thanks The Boy. I remind people here, when Ole was introduced after Jose, people here were clamouring to appoint him permanently and loudly stating that we simply had to give him time to clean out the squad and grow a new, youthful team --- and, importantly, that we would back this process regardless of the inevitable ups and downs that would follow. Well THESE are those times. Ole is focusing on youth, we have changed the squad quite a bit in his first window, and it has been an up and down process (maybe too many downs and not enough ups but there you go). I was not excited by Ole's appointment but once we made the decision, I feel we have no business changing now, he's doing what he was asked to do. Rather than change him, I'd like to have some serious thinking on the coaching side...sorry, but I don't think Mikey Phelan is a tactical wizard, and Michael Carrick is learning the ropes. Ole needs support internally and from the fans.

el3mel

Why are people raving for a non club supporter saying we should be patient for Ole and give him 3 years even if we finish 8th? With all and full respect to the guy and his opinion, it's easier to say such things when you aren't the one forced to watch such shite and suffer from it week in week out for a full year or more.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Why are people raving for a non club supporter saying we should be patient for Ole and give him 3 years even if we finish 8th? With all and full respect to the guy and his opinion, it's easier to say such things when you aren't the one forced to watch such shite and suffer from it week in week out for a full year or more.
With all and full respect, I'm a Brighton supporter, I watched shite for fecking years and years and years! :lol:

el3mel

With all and full respect, I'm a Brighton supporter, I watched shite for fecking years and years and years! :lol:
You enter the season expecting your club to stay in the Premier League and that's totally enough and will be considered a good season. The situation is different. You can't simply say it's gonna be fine for United to keep manager for 3 years while we are finishing 7th and 8th. Sorry, totally different level of expectations from both teams, and yes, with full respect to you, you won't be the one suffering from this. That's not against you or anything, but saying it's fine for United to finish 8th and keeps the manager for 3 years just shows that. It's easier to talk in such situations.

Kopral Jono

Leaning towards keep... just about. But I'd have to change my mind if this relegation form continues on until Christmas. The truth is the Glazers didn't back Ole enough in the summer and no one can deny this fact, but at the same time he hasn't shown even a glimpse that he's a good enough manager for a club of our stature and expectations.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
You enter the season expecting your club to stay in the Premier League and that's totally enough and will be considered a good season. The situation is different. You can't simply say it's gonna be fine for United to keep manager for 3 years while we are finishing 7th and 8th. Sorry, totally different level of expectations from both teams, and yes, with full respect to you, you won't be the one suffering from this. That's not against you or anything, but saying it's fine for United to finish 8th and keeps the manager for 3 years just shows that. It's easier to talk in such situations.
I didn't say finish 7th or 8th for three years, my point is the pressure put on players and managers at Utd is immense, it's too much for anyone to handle, so many players and managers come to you as decent players and managers and wilt under it. We must win, we must attack, we must be fecking brilliant is unsustainable for every match.

This team is not a brilliant one but it is an improving one, giving them the freedom to feck up a bit and learn with it is crucial if you want these young players to grow. There is no premiership club that has been consistently top 4, clubs need to reform and regrow and most do because none place the same level of pressure and expectation on their team every single time they walk out on a pitch.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
As a manager he's really poor and not to the standard so it shouldn't be hard to find anyone better than him, either way he's going to eventually get sacked because of the bad results and crap football. Then I don't know what the club is expecting or what the plans are (it seems more like there isn't actually a plan) but someone like him seems better suited for a director of football position; as it would allow him to give some direction and consistency to the club while also leaving the position of manager for someone more capable than him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Who are the deadwood who are gone? I will say Sanchez and Darmian only (the latter was playing about 6 games a year or so). Maybe Valencia if we are stretching it. Lukaku, Fellaini, Smalling and Herrera weren't deadwood, far from it. They were all very useful squad options who helped us on multiple occasions even if they have defects.

He didn't clear the deadwood. Him and Woodward just fecked up the squad. That's it.
We haven't got rid of Sanchez. We only sent him on loan while probably footing some of his salary. Conte has used alezis correctly (stk) and he had scored in his serie a debut with Inter. Meanwhile we are left relying on Welbeck mk 2 for goals. In 6 months time he will probably be back as inter won't afford his salary

Last edited:

LoneStar

I think people who believe Ole will be sacked before the end of season are in for a disappointment. Its my belief that Ole has a very different mandate than the other managers before him. The work he is doing now may earn him abuse from a lot of fans, but people will look back and appreciate his work 3/4 years down when we are top of the table. He has the job to get rid of the deadwood and build up the spine steadily. People question why he has got rid of Lukaku, Fellaini, Alexis if we don’t have adequate replacement? The reason is that after years of squandered investment we were left with a squad of overpaid players with little quality to show. New managers that came in added dross but had not intention to clean up the mess left behind primarily because they were under pressure to deliver immediate results and thus had a very short term vision.

The challenge was this - you have a player X who will contribute in the short term but in the long term is not the right player to get united to where they belong. In an ideal world you would buy a new player and try to sell off the asset. But when the player X is overvalued and overpaid, moving him along is a tough job and you will have to risk selling him even if you don’t find an adequate replacement. Otherwise you don’t have any room financially to add quality in the future. Replace player X with Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellaini, Smalling. Now we could have replaced the outgoings with targets that have been well scouted. I think the issue was two fold - The right targets were either unavailable or difficult to negotiate with; we were waiting for Outgoings to be confirmed before we commit to deals. Add to that our incompetence in getting deals through, you are left with the short term mess that is the squad for the season.

If I were to guess, this would be his goal sheet:

- Identify and get rid of as many deadwoods as possible that do not align with the squad of the future
- Identify and add quality players that will be the spine for the next 4-5 years
- Integrate youth players into the first team squad and get them ready for the future
- Aim to qualify for CL via top4/EL. Finish top 6 at worst. Unless we are fighting relegation, I don’t see him going before the season

The reason Ole is tasked with this job and not Poch/ Tuchel etc could either be because either they were not interested in being patient and carrying out this rebuild; or/and appointing Poch/Tuchel will raise immediate expectations from the media/fans and they wouldn’t be afforded the time and patience to carry it through. At the heart of this is years of bad squad management that came about because we had no vision/footballing identity and chased short term success buy appointing the wrong managers and buying the wrong players.
You think anyone who joins us won't be deadwood going forward? We are on course to finish 10th in the table mate.

Even Bournemouth players wouldn't want to join us. Good luck trying to sign anyone other than deadwood with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.