Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

Honestly, not liking any of those options. If hes sacked now (or at the end of the season) that means Woody and co are let of the hook once again.

Ideally, Ole should resign on his own and then tell the world what a shitshow this club is. Maybe then Woody and the Glazers could be forced out
He would never do that because he's a main product of this shitshow.

wolvored

Wow, just seen the new poll. I very much doubt any manager could turn this around now even when the gap is only 6 points. The squad is too thin, even if we bought 2 players in this window it wouldn't cover the deficiencies.

The planning for this season was utterly atrocious. Even if we somehow fluke top 4 or a trophy it won't change my mind that buying two defenders and a 19 yer old championship winger was somehow a good plan when we lost an experienced striker and two midfielders. We're extremely LUCKY to be in 5th place.
Wow, just seen the new poll. I very much doubt any manager could turn this around now even when the gap is only 6 points. The squad is too thin, even if we bought 2 players in this window it wouldn't cover the deficiencies.

The planning for this season was utterly atrocious. Even if we somehow fluke top 4 or a trophy it won't change my mind that buying two defenders and a 19 yer old championship winger was somehow a good plan when we lost an experienced striker and two midfielders. We're extremely LUCKY to be in 5th place.
James is 22 just moving out of the youngster stage

AR87

You have to understand that Woodward is not a footballing guy. Yes he can veto deals and probably put deals through, but he's not identifying targets.

He is not the one that decides if the squad is good or not to finish the season, he's not the one that decides training methods and regimes. He's not the one that decides if the young players or Pereira and Lingard are good enough.

Also directing the blame only towards Woodward is also a bad idea. The board is part of this and should share it. Judge is one leading negotiations for example, not Ed. Woodward whilst still incompetent is not running the club by himself.

Those guys need help, but they won't get it from an inept manager.

And no, the recruitment in the summer hasn't been any different to the years before apart from paying premium for British players. AWB can turn very soon a deadwood to attacking manager. Maguire is not 80m guy and again might not be a right fit for the next manager. James is a rotational player.

Nothing special, nothing we haven't seen.

Meanwhile - new contract for Pereira, new contract for Jones, new contract for Mata (3 years, considering we had a rule back then of offering only one year to 30+ players)... 190k salary for Maguire - means it has no resale value, especially considering the 80m pounds he has been brought for.
Not going to bother arguing the recruitment. Whatever. We could go around in circles forever and ultimately it's not the main basis of our conversation.

Woodward has created that structure at the top. He is responsible for it. If he wanted to bring in a DoF/technical director to oversee the entire process he could, but he has chosen this current setup. That's on him, and the lack of improvement in the speed with which deals get done means even if the recruitment is great, you're not getting enough numbers in that a squad this deficient in talent requires.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not going to bother arguing the recruitment. Whatever. We could go around in circles forever and ultimately it's not the main basis of our conversation.

Woodward has created that structure at the top. He is responsible for it. If he wanted to bring in a DoF/technical director to oversee the entire process he could, but he has chosen this current setup. That's on him, and the lack of improvement in the speed with which deals get done means even if the recruitment is great, you're not getting enough numbers in that a squad this deficient in talent requires.
No one is arguing about that, but until Ole is here he won't make change of the structure. Having to hire yet another manager however might change that(as slim the possibility is).

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'United to make loan move for Carlos Tevez?'

Monty Python's Manchester United.

Scholsey2004

As long as Ed is in charge makes no difference to me who is running the team now, like I say I’ve reached acceptance with it so all y’all do what you want the manager. Everyone will be bitching in 12-18 months anyway if nothing changes at the top
That's my take on it. Ole's trying to move out the dead wood and bring in improvements. Those above him are consistently failing to facilitate that process. If we sack Solskjaer then that's a new low point for me.

Scholsey2004

Barring all the injuries, are Leicester and Chelsea really that much better squad wise? Its beyond shambolic
Their attacks are a country mile better than ours. To win games you have to score goals. We don't score enough so we don't win enough.

TRUERED89

Their attacks are a country mile better than ours. To win games you have to score goals. We don't score enough so we don't win enough.
Yes they play better football no doubt!! But are their whole squads better than ours? I don't think so imo..

Scholsey2004

I don't understand how the board can be fully behind him when the club is as inactive as it is in the transfer window, particularly with how bad the current squad is
Assuming the people who run the club are capable of recognising how weak the squad is.

Enigma_87

You know who

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm just totally apathetic at this point about the manager. If we sack Ole that's fine, I just don't have high hopes after that anyways.
You have to have mate :) We're too old to change teams, or sport. :D

fergiesarmy1

Paddymcc

Pochettino is in Ireland at the moment staying in a local hotel so Oles jobs safe for the next day or two

lex talionis

So would you let Ole stay if he wins EL or gets top 4?
I wouldn't, unless by that time every other conceivable candidate such as Pochettino and Allegri are not available. The case against Ole is powerful (poor performances and dismal results) but if we did win the EL or make top 4 -- which by definition means a dramatic uptick in performances and results from here to the end of the season -- and no one else of note is available to us it's hard to see the wisdom in sacking Ole and then hiring a manager of an even lower standing such as Eddie Howe or Unai Emery.

Off topic a bit but it's clear to me the only hope of a return to the CL next season is through the EL this season. Top 4 is mathematically well within reach but when we prove we can't beat Burnley, we've proven we just can't hit top 4. So it's all about the EL and if in fact we have Rashford, Pogba and McTominay back by the semis (dreaming perhaps) I like our chances of winning the EL.

RedCurry

I just don't have a way to judge Ole. When we have the players available like we do, we are going to lose games regardless of who the manager is. The only way to avoid defeats with current healthy squad is perhaps by solidly parking the bus. With fully fit squad, we've seen glimmer of good football under Ole. I am quite indifferent to whether he stays or goes at the moment. But if he had to be let go, surely the time was a month ago. We've been reactionary for years now. I just wish that we could have people in charge with a plan, a proper vision.

el3mel

Wow new vote ?

Anyway I think sacking him now will be pointless as the season is a write off without Rashford, Pogba and Scott. He fecked up the team with how he managed injuries and the Jan window is about to close 1 week from now and even 1 signing wouldn't be enough. This isn't a good atmosphere for a new manager to come. There won't be a new manager bounce this time. Unfortunately the perfect chance to sack him was in November.

So best option for now is to let him continue this pointless season and start negotiating with Poch so that we hire him in May, totally fresh with a summer window ahead. Pogba might change his mind about leaving by this point and decides to try his luck one last time with Poch's experiment.

ottosec

Anyway I think sacking him now will be pointless as the season is a write off without Rashford, Pogba and Scott. He fecked up the team with how he managed injuries and the Jan window is about to close 1 week from now and even 1 signing wouldn't be enough. This isn't a good atmosphere for a new manager to come. There won't be a new manager bounce this time. Unfortunately the perfect chance to sack him was in November.

So best option for now is to let him continue this pointless season and start negotiating with Poch so that we hire him in May, totally fresh with a summer window ahead. Pogba might change his mind about leaving by this point and decides to try his luck one last time with Poch's experiment.
I disagree. Surely a manager who actually knows what he's doing can do better even with this squad? This is a season where every team below 3rd place is absolute trash, there is still a chance(albeit quite small) that we will make top 4.

And even if you are right, and a new manager changes nothing results-wise, appointing him now gives him the possibility to assert the squad in official matches and allows the squad to get used to his methods. It's definitely not pointless.

I do agree that the best option would have been to sack Ole before the January transfer window, but even now there is no reason to keep him in charge anymore.

AshRK

el3mel

I disagree. Surely a manager who actually knows what he's doing can do better even with this squad? This is a season where every team below 3rd place is absolute trash, there is still a chance(albeit quite small) that we will make top 4.

And even if you are right, and a new manager changes nothing results-wise, appointing him now gives him the possibility to assert the squad in official matches and allows the squad to get used to his methods. It's definitely not pointless.

I do agree that the best option would have been to sack Ole before the January transfer window, but even now there is no reason to keep him in charge anymore.
The problem is all of our best players have got long term injuries thanks to him rushing them back before being fully healed and we haven't signed anyone so far in Jan. 2 or 3 months I thought by sacking him we can still salvage the season. Unfortunately the damage he has down as the time went on has become so severe for a midseason manager to change it.

Though I might agree on asserting the squad in the remaining part of the season if we get a new manager now.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Barring all the injuries, are Leicester and Chelsea really that much better squad wise? Its beyond shambolic
I'd argue in terms of best possible first XI, not much separates us and those two. The problem for us is the complete lack of depth and acceptable rotational players.

For example a midfield 3 of Pogba, Fred and McTomminay is not too shabby, but one(or two) of those gone and we are properly fecked since we then have to rely on the likes of Pereira and Lindgard. In attack we have no backup bar Greenwood.

And despite being stocked with CB's those guys are constantly injured. We can thank our lucky stars that Maguire and Lindelof has not been injured for long so far, because then the only option would have been Jones whos a constant injury risk himself

AshRK

Spurs and Arsenal already changed managers due to poor results.
My reply was regarding your comment where it seemed you were saying Lampard was doing some good job to which I said all are in the same boat, just that Lampard is doing a less shit job in comparison to Ole. As for Ole to be sacked, well I have already said he needs to go, if not now at least at the end of the season.

Enigma_87

You know who
My reply was regarding your comment where it seemed you were saying Lampard was doing some good job to which I said all are in the same boat, just that Lampard is doing a less shit job in comparison to Ole. As for Ole to be sacked, well I have already said he needs to go, if not now at least at the end of the season.
No, my comment about Chelsea was in relation to the squads Ole and Lampard are working with. By no means Chelsea have had a better team or squad available so far into the season. They also have inexperienced manager yet are ahead of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.