Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You're failing to take into account the huge numbers of opposition voters who are voting to keep him in, though.
Possibly - have you done any proper research on that, though?

There are 1300 voters in total for this (current) poll. How does that compare to the total number of Caf members? Not favourably, I would suspect - for your argument.

How does it compare to active members (people who actually post on here)? Probably more favourably - but how much more? I know of multiple Caf members who simply stay away from the football side of the forum these days - they only frequent the general/CE, etc.

As for United fans in general (not the Caf), I repeat what I said: I don't know a single one who adamantly wants Ole gone here and now, and feck the consequences. These are mostly people who have followed United closely over many years, match goers, locals, etc. I'm not saying their opinions are more worth than anyone else's - just stating a fact. And - no - they aren't "Ole in" unconditionally. They are very much concerned - just not people likely to vote "Ole out - anyone else in" in a poll like this one.

b82REZ

This place is a sea of bile and stupidity after bad results. Nobody in their right mind would go on here and expect to hear anything sensible. I'll happily continue being "one of the worst" for not being on here after bad results. For the sake of my sanity if nothing else.

I speak to a lot of United fans in real life and the vast majority are in the give him time camp. Most of these are sensible people who've watched United a long time. They understand the context of our results this season and can see how the squad is being rebuilt. Most of us believe we are on the right track and thats mostly down to Ole and Micks influence.

And I've still yet to hear a cogent argument to why "he'll never be good enough" as you lads love to keep saying. He signs good players and beats teams like City and Chelsea regularly. That's exactly what we need in a manager. The guy you all want Poch does neither of those things consistently.
Who are these supporters you're speaking to that are so vocally Ole In? I've been OT a fair few times this season and despite claims to the contrary here, the crowd aren't all Ole In. I'm sure I'll hear similar complaints tonight. Most footage and interactions I've seen with match goers are very much Ole Out.

The fact that we only look good against the "big" teams in indictive of the issues. It's much easier for his tactics to be effective against these teams as they will have periods of dominance over us which allows us to utilise the counter attacks that have been effective in these games.

The continual issues of breaking down any low block continues 13 months into his tenure. He still has shown nothing tactically beyond, absorb pressure and hit on the break. The complaints levied at LvG and Jose can easily be applied to Solskjaer.

As much as a loved him as a player he does not inspire any confidence as a manager. I think he's done a very good job keeping supporters on side as he speaks acts like many of us would in his position, but that does not make him qualified for the job and the fact he has displayed no traits of a successful manager at any point during his managerial career, you'd have to be incredibly optimistic or base your feelings on faith that he'll eventually come good.

Mihai

If the sum of all parts equal the same, you can't point the finger to one and blame the others.

I think you missed my point. Clubs are having bad seasons: Because the opposition is much, much better, in combination with injury issues some clubs simply did not have last season. (Manchester United, Tottenham)
I think you missed my point as well. I was replying to why we are still in the top 4 fight.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm not sure what your point is because I've never denied that.
My point is that posters who are vehemently "Ole out" (now, get anyone else in) are more likely to vote than posters who are "United are in trouble - but perhaps sacking the manager isn't going to solve anything long-term".

That's my theory, if you will - I could very well be wrong. But that's my point: there are numerous members on here who simply won't cast their vote in a poll like this one - which is a relevant fact when discussing what the actual mood of the Caf, on the whole, is.

Put it like this, then: do you think a poster who's convinced that sacking Ole with immediate effect would be beneficial is likely to not vote in favour of that if he or she happens to drop by this thread?

What about a poster who is generally concerned (in any number of ways) but who is not convinced that sacking Ole would be beneficial at this point in time? Is he or she more or less likely to refrain from voting (compared to the former category)?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Possibly - have you done any proper research on that, though?

There are 1300 voters in total for this (current) poll. How does that compare to the total number of Caf members? Not favourably, I would suspect - for your argument.

How does it compare to active members (people who actually post on here)? Probably more favourably - but how much more? I know of multiple Caf members who simply stay away from the football side of the forum these days - they only frequent the general/CE, etc.

As for United fans in general (not the Caf), I repeat what I said: I don't know a single one who adamantly wants Ole gone here and now, and feck the consequences. These are mostly people who have followed United closely over many years, match goers, locals, etc. I'm not saying their opinions are more worth than anyone else's - just stating a fact. And - no - they aren't "Ole in" unconditionally. They are very much concerned - just not people likely to vote "Ole out - anyone else in" in a poll like this one.
You really can't start a debate asking me if I've done any research when your entire logic is based on a complete hypothetical. i.e. this idea that people who are Ole in are less likely to vote. Unless you've gone around polling 1,000 Utd fans to ask, that is.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I voted sack now because an infinitely better young dynamic tactically adept manager is available as a free agent. But my vote means jack all because the zombies in our Board want to squeeze glory out of mediocrity.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You really can't start a debate asking me if I've done any research when your entire logic is based on a complete hypothetical. i.e. this idea that people who are Ole in are less likely to vote. Unless you've gone around polling 1,000 Utd fans to ask, that is.
Fair enough - I admit it's just a hunch.

It's based on something, though - namely that a considerable percentage of the members on here haven't actually voted for any option in the current poll.

Mihai

I voted sack now because an infinitely better young dynamic tactically adept manager is available as a free agent. But my vote means jack all because the zombies in our Board want to squeeze glory out of mediocrity.
If you mean Poch, then there might be some serious financial implications if he were to sign with some other PL club this season.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Fair enough - I admit it's just a hunch.

It's based on something, though - namely that a considerable percentage of the members on here haven't actually voted for any option in the current poll.
I'm pretty sure the last poll had a far higher vote count, up on 2,500-3,000 as I recall. I imagine people are a bit more meh about another one or possibly too fed up of this thread to enter, who knows.

SteveW

Who are these supporters you're speaking to that are so vocally Ole In? I've been OT a fair few times this season and despite claims to the contrary here, the crowd aren't all Ole In. I'm sure I'll hear similar complaints tonight. Most footage and interactions I've seen with match goers are very much Ole Out.

The fact that we only look good against the "big" teams in indictive of the issues. It's much easier for his tactics to be effective against these teams as they will have periods of dominance over us which allows us to utilise the counter attacks that have been effective in these games.

The continual issues of breaking down any low block continues 13 months into his tenure. He still has shown nothing tactically beyond, absorb pressure and hit on the break. The complaints levied at LvG and Jose can easily be applied to Solskjaer.

As much as a loved him as a player he does not inspire any confidence as a manager. I think he's done a very good job keeping supporters on side as he speaks acts like many of us would in his position, but that does not make him qualified for the job and the fact he has displayed no traits of a successful manager at any point during his managerial career, you'd have to be incredibly optimistic or base your feelings on faith that he'll eventually come good.
Who are my friends in real life?? What a question. I said they were in the "give him time" camp not "so vocally Ole in" as you incorrectly decided to reframe it. Not sure what interactions you speak of but I assume they are found on some YouTube "fan channel" Spare me that crap please.

Tactical mastery tends to be shown against big teams in big games. Low block teams tend to be beaten most consistently by teams with enough quality players to do it. The idea that there's some special tactical approach to breaking down a team who parks the bus is actually laughable. A fallacy invented on the caf in 2019. There's not much you can do to other than deliver enough good quality service to your forwards and finish well. That's pretty much what it comes down to. Players like Pereira Lingard would explain some of our problems in that regard. Bruno perfectly illustrates the difference some actual quality can make.

"He's displayed no traits of a successful manager at any time in his career" Despite winning the league for the first time in his last clubs history then retaining it. That's literally a successful manager being successful.

theklr

Again in context. How many experienced and quality players does Frank have to be competing further than they already are. Your talking about a team that basically has two championship players leading their attack.

This is all pre-assumptions but our team would be filled with Champions League experience. The only new faces being Harry Maguire (very experienced football wise) and AWB. I don’t see how it’s the same at all. I would expect a Manchester United team going into the Champions League next season to have a minimum requirement of Quarter finals.
Well, their championship striker has outscored our PL-experienced striker, so I dont quite see how they have a worse team than us. Their midfield is better than what we've been playing with, our defence is better than what they've been playing in.

Yes, in a normal year United should definately have quarter finals as a minimum requirements. But if you consider that we've bought 4 completely new players and that we've barely had the chance to play our best XI together over a long period because of injuries, it is very normal that they need time and experience together to perform at a higher level than Premier League. You would expect this United team to go through your "normal" CL group, but first knock-out match would be unrealistic to say they should be winning.

You cant just put 11 players with champions league experience together for a few games and expect them to get to a quarter final. You need them to play alot together first.

Mainoldo

Well, their championship striker has outscored our PL-experienced striker, so I dont quite see how they have a worse team than us. Their midfield is better than what we've been playing with, our defence is better than what they've been playing in.

Yes, in a normal year United should definately have quarter finals as a minimum requirements. But if you consider that we've bought 4 completely new players and that we've barely had the chance to play our best XI together over a long period because of injuries, it is very normal that they need time and experience together to perform at a higher level than Premier League. You would expect this United team to go through your "normal" CL group, but first knock-out match would be unrealistic to say they should be winning.

You cant just put 11 players with champions league experience together for a few games and expect them to get to a quarter final. You need them to play alot together first.
Again what are you talking about. 4 new players that would have had an season and half a season to be fully prepared for a Champions League campaign. Do they need to be with us for 4 years before we start seeing the fruits of our labour. That Championship striker has played more games than our striker and our midfielder as proven the other day is better than there’s. That’s excluding Pogba and McTominay.

There’s no excuse about time and new time. Etc. This team was in a quarter final in the last campaign and I’m sure we can all say we have rebooted and will have a better looking squad come next season. It might even still include Pogba.

The original point remains. Are you confident of having a good campaign with this current manager or do you feel a better level of manager would give us a better chance. I mean Klopp took Liverpool to the final in his first campaign and yes you do need luck as with every knock out.

shaky

My friend, I would love it if Ole proved the doubters wrong, we went on a 40 match unbeaten run and competed well in all competitions, this year and next. But sadly, that isn't going to happen.
The reality is that we have the lowest points total since the EPL started and will be knocked out of any competition, the moment we face anyone decent.

We were out of the league title race, before it started. << this is fact which nobody can dispute
We got knocked out of the league cup, by MCFC. << this is a fact
FA and EL cups - we haven't faced any decent opposition yet. << this is opinion, but will soon because fact
Oh, were you expecting us to be competing for the title this year? I can see why you're not a fan of reality then. I've got some bad news for you if you think a change of manager is all that stands between us and league glory next season.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm pretty sure the last poll had a far higher vote count, up on 2,500-3,000 as I recall. I imagine people are a bit more meh about another one or possibly too fed up of this thread to enter, who knows.
Probably, and understandably if so.

That should work both ways, though - at the very least. I do believe the last one was less damning for Ole, for what it's worth.

Anyway, what I suggested above was that if you did a poll with these alternatives:

a) Ole has to go now - and anyone would be better (which is essentially what the most popular vote in the current poll indicates)

and

b) No, I don't simply want him sacked right now, believing any alternative would be better

...there wouldn't be a clear majority for a) if every active member on here actually voted.

That is - again - my theory (or hunch, if you will). And I realize it's all a bit silly and hypothetical. But the point, if there is one, is that the first of the current alternatives positively invites all the people who think he's shit to cast a vote - whereas the second and third are far less immediately appealing to anyone who, like me, thinks the manager is less of a problem than the infamous "structural issues" at United right now. Or - to put it another way - I simply wouldn't be arsed to vote for the second of third alternative, as neither properly reflects where I stand on the matter.

theklr

Again what are you talking about. 4 new players that would have had an season and half a season to be fully prepared for a Champions League campaign. Do they need to be with us for 4 years before we start seeing the fruits of our labour. That Championship striker has played more games than our striker and our midfielder as proven the other day is better than there’s. That’s excluding Pogba and McTominay.

There’s no excuse about time and new time. Etc. This team was in a quarter final in the last campaign and I’m sure we can all say we have rebooted and will have a better looking squad come next season. It might even still include Pogba.

The original point remains. Are you confident of having a good campaign with this current manager or do you feel a better level of manager would give us a better chance. I mean Klopp took Liverpool to the final in his first campaign and yes you do need luck as with every knock out.
Yeah, but Klopp had 3 years managing the team, which is precisly the point. Dont think he would have done the same in 2017.

Ofcourse I’m not confident, I have my doubts about Ole as well. But I think that with some good summer signings he will build a real menancing side.

I would be more confident if we had Poch , but I also think that is important for the club and players to have some stability.

Getting a new manager in , with new tactics, new training methods etc etc could do some harm to the players, especially when many of them seem to progress now.

Im willing to gamble on giving Solskjær another season if he finishes well.

But yeah, it is a gamble.

90 + 5min

You don't understand much about football, do you?
I was lucky getting to talk to a coach who worked under a top manager. A manager that sadly didn’t worked out for us.

He was very clear that passing around and having lot of possession meant more time to do something in offense and less time to concede goals. To have more ball than your opposition is always better but of course, it depends on what players you have. Basiclly. Take care of the ball and the ball will take care of you.

So to say it is to get out other teams from a certain position is not the whole truth.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm not sure what your point is because I've never denied that. My original post was to call out a poster who loves to appear in here after a couple of wins and act all high and mighty and try and make out that the poll is incorrect.

I'm not sure what your issue with people voting out, yet the exact same can be applied to the posters who voted In, who want him in regardless.

There seems to be a narrative over the last few pages that the 50%that want him gone asap plus the 20% that want him gone at the end of the season were somehow knee jerking. There is a small percentage of posters like Bilbo, SteveW and Class of 63 that love to act all high and mighty after a couple of wins and love to push narratives about the 70%.
Im sure some high and mighty will creep in if we ever win a major trophy under Ole. It'll be too difficult to resist. Until then I dont think I or anybody else are going overboard about anything positive at all, because we aren't there yet. We have little to celebrate apart from progress. Besides, what on earth would be wrong with anyone acting a little high and mighty after some wins? Isn't that what supporting a sports team is supposed to be like?

As for the poll I really couldn't care less what the numbers show. You don't need to see that poll to know that this forum has been dominated by posters that are excessively critical of our manager. If you doubt it then read any of the 6 pages of a post match thread after a win, or the 25 pages after a defeat or draw. Or any other thread for that matter.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The Ole inners really shouldn't use the argument that we have 2 matches in a row.
If winning 2 matches in a row is something to boast about, that manager should be instantly fired.
Winning 2 matches in a row should be the bare minimum we should expect of any MUFC manager....but then again, standards have dropped to levels not seen since the days the club were relegated.
We are heading towards our lowest points total since the EPL started. Why are so many people ignoring this?
Well that's the problem isnt? Players and ex-players have been talking about lowered standards at Man Utd since Fergie and I feel that for all of Ole getting the united ethos, he's the one who's lowered the standard the most.

Mainoldo

Yeah, but Klopp had 3 years managing the team, which is precisly the point. Dont think he would have done the same in 2017.

Ofcourse I’m not confident, I have my doubts about Ole as well. But I think that with some good summer signings he will build a real menancing side.

I would be more confident if we had Poch , but I also think that is important for the club and players to have some stability.

Getting a new manager in , with new tactics, new training methods etc etc could do some harm to the players, especially when many of them seem to progress now.

Im willing to gamble on giving Solskjær another season if he finishes well.

But yeah, it is a gamble.
He got to the final in his second season. So what’s the difference? VVD didn’t need a whole season to be ready for it.

I get your last points but that’s where sensible appointments coming into play. Changing Ole for Allegri is stupid as his philosophy is not the same. He might require more experienced players and might require our players being more restricted in our approach with a more stubborn intent. I don’t think Ole allows free flowing football but he doesn’t prevent it either.

Poch is. Not going to change our approach he will improve on it. I don’t see who loses out.

Alabaster Codify7

Who are my friends in real life?? What a question. I said they were in the "give him time" camp not "so vocally Ole in" as you incorrectly decided to reframe it. Not sure what interactions you speak of but I assume they are found on some YouTube "fan channel" Spare me that crap please.
Hahahaha, for some reason I spat my coffee everywhere at this, as if you'd actually starting naming them specifically!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Well that's the problem isnt? Players and ex-players have been talking about lowered standards at Man Utd since Fergie and I feel that for all of Ole getting the united ethos, he's the one who's lowered the standard the most.
I would like you to explain this in a way that makes sense. To me it is just buzzwords of either side of the argument. I'm yet to see an explanation for what it means in full effect, and after that has been cleared up, what does it mean under the surface?

To have low standards isn't necessarily a bad thing in the face of realism. If you have no confidence with girls, getting it on with whoever first can give you confidence which will give you better luck in the future. If you just sit on your ass complaining about needing a proper model to get off, or else it's not worth moving, what exactly does that archive?

That's how I feel about this argument. What is the actual substance behind "lowered standards" and what does it mean? Is it accepting failure? It is several ways to not accept failure, the solution isn't to bitch and complain. Ole is positive in the media, and has a positive approach, regardless if we aren't performing to our best, but claiming that is proof of "lowering standards" is a false equivalence. As is the whole point of pretending a key problem with the club is ex-players talking about lowering standards, and some how Ole has been doing this. The current players seem to be firmly behind him, even through tough periods where Ole has felt pressure. I've not seen or heard anything that made me think "these guys just doesn't care". That hasn't been typical of this squad after SAF, and as we know many have sulked and blamed everything but themselves in tough periods or if they've not been able to follow instructions. That is a very low standard to have and makes it impossible for any manager to handle. To me it does seem like we have in fact raised that standard, to the point players know they will leave and not play for this club unless they get in line with the ethos of this club. I surely do appreciate the lack of antics at the moment. The only big annoyance for me has been the time Lingard and to some degree Pereira and Mata has got. I know why that is, but it has just felt like a waste of time. If we keep signing these guys to long contracts like this is a charity for substandard footballers at the highest level, I agree that is lowering standards. Hopefully, that will end this summer.

Gehrman

I would like you to explain this in a way that makes sense. To me it is just buzzwords of either side of the argument. I'm yet to see an explanation for what it means in full effect, and after that has been cleared up, what does it mean under the surface?

To have low standards isn't necessarily a bad thing in the face of realism. If you have no confidence with girls, getting it on with whoever first can give you confidence which will give you better luck in the future. If you just sit on your ass complaining about needing a proper model to get off, or else it's not worth moving, what exactly does that archive?

That's how I feel about this argument. What is the actual substance behind "lowered standards" and what does it mean? Is it accepting failure? It is several ways to not accept failure, the solution isn't to bitch and complain. Ole is positive in the media, and has a positive approach, regardless if we aren't performing to our best, but claiming that is proof of "lowering standards" is a false equivalence. As is the whole point of pretending a key problem with the club is ex-players talking about lowering standards, and some how Ole has been doing this. The current players seem to be firmly behind him, even through tough periods where Ole has felt pressure. I've not seen or heard anything that made me think "these guys just doesn't care". That hasn't been typical of this squad after SAF, and as we know many have sulked and blamed everything but themselves in tough periods or if they've not been able to follow instructions. That is a very low standard to have and makes it impossible for any manager to handle. To me it does seem like we have in fact raised that standard, to the point players know they will leave and not play for this club unless they get in line with the ethos of this club. I surely do appreciate the lack of antics at the moment. The only big annoyance for me has been the time Lingard and to some degree Pereira and Mata has got. I know why that is, but it has just felt like a waste of time. If we keep signing these guys to long contracts like this is a charity for substandard footballers at the highest level, I agree that is lowering standards. Hopefully, that will end this summer.
You definitely explained that in a way that made sense when you started off with an analogy of about getting laid.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You definitely explained that in a way that made sense when you started off with an analogy of about getting laid.
I always do.

Also, I didn't mean to imply your points about the topic can't have sense. I'd just like to know whats behind that post, like how did you form that opinion, as I've seen it regurgitated a lot. I don't really get what it means. We're doing bad, and Ole smiles so he is lowering standards? Or what is it that Ole is or is not doing that goes under the umbrella of lowering standards? What is the possible ramifications of these actions?

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

In a normal universe, looking good against teams like Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea would be viewed as an enormously positive thing. But not here I guess.

We've acquired Bruno and suddenly we're looking like a team that got an actual ability to troll teams with those magical individualistic moments that all teams rely on against low pressing sides.

As for the bolded: The fans that sing "Ole ole ole ole" at the match days. i suppose they are a minority then.

Cardozo

I don't know why but having a United man at the helm really resonates with me as a fan. I don't think managers have the influence on the day to day as much as is made out on here (there's statistics that show most managers are fired due to bad luck). You can see the sloppy goals we concede are down to poor coaching (of the defensive coach) the manager sets the team up to win and our team is limited in ability in some key areas. We saw how ruthless we were in the first game with Pogba ripping Chelsea apart. If we'd kept that quality for the last 6 months there's no way we'd be in 5th.

You only need to look at the clubs around and below us to see this is the toughest the premier league has ever been and it takes something exceptional to be near the top of the league and then you're still 15+ points off the actual top. It's no longer a 4 horse race and no team will be able to dominate the league like Liverpool and United were able to in the past. We'll have good runs with the best players and then others will have theirs.

Slik

Funny thing is, some people say Ole should still be sacked even if he qualifies for the champions league and Pochetino hired. Wait, where do you think we will be finishing under pochetino? He isn’t winning the league . He has consistently failed to win any trophy with a tottenham squad that at their peak was way better than our current squad.He has never won the league or any trophy for that matter.
He will most likely be finishing in the champions league places. So why should we sack Ole after he qualifies for champions league for a coach who is also likely to only finish in the champions league places? Ole has beaten him when they came face to face too in a tactical battle. I really don’t understand our fan base

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He is probably too honest in some situation - but to say he isn't the brightest ? Do you seriously think any footballer who has played at the highest level - is stupid ? I think you have to be pretty darn clever to be able read and interpret the game, follow complex instructions etc at that level. And this is a person Ferguson had in his squad for 10 years and decided to give responsibility of training Uniteds biggest talents. Would he have done that if he thought OGS wasn't well above average in the intelligence-department ?
There are lots of very stupid footballers.

They’re still better at what they do than I am at what I do, but being good at football does not require intelligence.

Gehrman

They’re still better at what they do than I am at what I do, but being good at football does not require intelligence.
There really seems to be a very small relationship between being a good footballer and intelligence.

It doesn't seem that playing under Saf for 20 years makes you more intelligent as a pundit either.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/neville-united-will-probably-win-league-liverpool-205098

""That’s going to happen, I can guarantee you as clear as day Manchester United will win again, they’ll win again no problem. They’ll win a league - probably win the league before Liverpool in my opinion, I’m not being disrespectful.” "

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Intelligence is very broad and everyone have different skills. Being able to read the game, good positioning etc is very important.
Emotional intelligence and drive to keep you at the peak can be very important too. Language skills to help settle in new cultures can help players too.
Having a university degree might not help that much for a player though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Gehrman

Aye. There are plenty of footballers that have a decent brain between their ears. It’s clearly not an essential for being a footballer though.
I think Pelé and Maradonna generally come off as sounding quite thick to be honest. Doesn't make them less geniuses on the pitch though.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The impact Bruno has had on this team cannot be overstated.

His signing alone may have brought Ole another season in charge and why not? We're like a different team at the moment.

slored1

Am tempted to change my vote to have him till the end of the season. The Bruno effect has been absolutely fantastic.

binary bot
Its not just Bruno. The makeup of the squad has been completely transformed in a year. No matter how badly we do this season. Ole's overall contribution will be a positive. Healthier, fitter, younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.