Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

90 + 5min

This game should not change anything. Solskjaer needed and still needs time to fix this. What is nice to see is that we are becoming a team. Not overpaid individuals.

SteveW

We're on the right track. Hopefully seeing another piece of the jig saw in Bruno can help some people on here see the picture.

Missing Pogba, Rashford and Martial tonight but making it look easy.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Its not just Bruno. The makeup of the squad has been completely transformed in a year. No matter how badly we do this season. Ole's overall contribution will be a positive. Healthier, fitter, younger.
Agreed. Even his most staunch critics have to admit he has left the team in a better state than he found it. If he manages to rid us of Pogba and JLingz as well this summer and bring in more players like Bruno, this team is actually starting to shape up to something resembling a United team

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Its not just Bruno. The makeup of the squad has been completely transformed in a year. No matter how badly we do this season. Ole's overall contribution will be a positive. Healthier, fitter, younger.
Agreed, said the same thing a week or so ago. We still have some pretty big gaps in the first team let alone the squad but he is at least pointing us (finally) in the right direction. We'll look back to this season as key to our rebuild in a few seasons time.

Jonno

His squad building has been excellent. What looks like 5 good signings, 7-8 outs that we needed out. He’s made us younger, fitter, more of a team, playing for each other, not themselves.

He’s building something, even if he might not ultimately see it all the way through some 4-5 years down the line.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I've been Ole in all season and I want him to get at least another season.

What we've been seeing recently is the first fruits of the summer squad gutting and some quality replacements coming in. He's also given several young players their chances, turned Fred into a must play when fit midfielder and signed us Bruno who looks like the player we've been missing for years.

If he finds two or three more of that kind of quality in the summer then I think we've every reason to think we can be right up there with city and liverpool again.

tonnas

We beat almost bottom team in Watford and a 10 men Brugge.. these wins should be a given.... Nothing extraordinary!! Bruno is class!

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We beat almost bottom team in Watford and a 10 men Brugge.. these wins should be a given.... Nothing exttairdinary!! Brunon
is class!
The thing is, it's the Watford and Brugge types that we've struggled against all season long. It wasn't until Bruno's introduction that we actively set about changing that fact.

So your point doesn't stand in this case.

RollieOle

We beat almost bottom team in Watford and a 10 men Brugge.. these wins should be a given.... Nothing exttairdinary!! Brunon
is class!
We also beat city twice this year, Chelsea three times, we beat Spurs and are the only team to take points of Liverpool.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The thing is, it's the Watford and Brugge types that we've struggled against all season long. It wasn't until Bruno's introduction that we actively set about changing that fact.

So your point doesn't stand in this case.
Haven't something like 80% of our dropped points this season come from teams in the bottom 6?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Haven't something like 80% of our dropped points this season come from teams in the bottom 6?
I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if your numbers were accurate. We struggled all season against the so-called weaker teams, then Bruno got introduced to the starting eleven and our fortunes changed drastically.

Our results since Bruno arrived (and the 2-0 defeat at home to Burnley):

2-0 vs Chelsea

1-1 vs Brugge

3-0 vs Watford

5-0 vs Brugge

That's either a dramatic coincidence or a brilliant signing from Ole. I'm going with the latter.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
See how he does on game by game basis until the end of the season, then re-evaluate his position.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
See how he does on game by game basis until the end of the season, then re-evaluate his position.
Doesn't that pretty much apply to practically every other manager? I don't think it really matters what he does this season anyway. Some fans will never give him any credit or recognition and will just lay down any excuse to get rid.

Black.Ghost

I have to admit, I voted keep Ole until the end of the season and then replace. I know we have to temper our excitement, it’s not the highest level of opponents but I just get a feeling maybe Ole is just getting there with this team. Maybe three signings away from really getting something going. If he finishes strongly, give him more time.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Tel074

I'm glad we are starting to see a more consistent United it's what 99% of match goers have been saying all season that we could see improvements in the team this season it was just we where way to inconsistent especially against teams that would sit deep . Since Bruno has come in him and Mata have a very good understanding and we are creating chances that we probably wouldn't have before we signed him .

I personally prefer Bailly beside Maguire and I'm excited for the rest of the season under Ole . Fingers crossed we get a kind Europa League draw and we can push for top 4

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm glad it's turning around for Ole, but I still think we can do a lot better.
A manager should improve players, but it's not really happened, whereas look at the influence Bruno has had on the side. He's made Mata look like a new player today.

That said, I guess lets see where we are at the end of the season, but I am happy for Ole

shaky

A manager should improve players, but it's not really happened, whereas look at the influence Bruno has had on the side. He's made Mata look like a new player today.

That said, I guess lets see where we are at the end of the season, but I am happy for Ole
Apart from Fred being 100x the player he was last season, Matic actually looking like he still has something to offer, Rashford and Martial having their best season together, McTominay getting better every game, De Gea keeping clean sheets again and Shaw finally showing signs of his pre-injury form, yeah I guess he hasn't improved anyone.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Apart from Fred being 100x the player he was last season, Matic actually looking like he still has something to offer, Rashford and Martial having their best season together, McTominay getting better every game, De Gea keeping clean sheets again and Shaw finally showing signs of his pre-injury form, yeah I guess he hasn't improved anyone.
Fred has improved I guess, but to be honest, it couldn't have got any worse tbh.
All you need to do is look at the table and realise it's not been good enough. So if you can say we've improved then it must have been a sorry state last season.

We're averaging 1.52 points per game this season.
Good enough for 6th last season (8 points off our total)
6th the season before that, 7th before that etc...

To say all these players have improved, we've also gone backwards.
That being said, if we can keep the form up until the end of the season, things will look better I suppose

SteveW

Fred has improved I guess, but to be honest, it couldn't have got any worse tbh.
All you need to do is look at the table and realise it's not been good enough. So if you can say we've improved then it must have been a sorry state last season.

That being said, if we can keep the form up until the end of the season, things will look better I suppose
We're clearly improving but lack of squad depth and the absense of a creative midfielder has stopped it from translating into consistent results in the league. Those problems can only be fixed in the transfer windows. Bruno is part of it.

Overall the progression is good though. Good signings, fitter younger squad, more clean sheets, better football, resilience in big games. There's heaps to be positive about. Add another quality midfielder and fill the remaining holes in the squad and we will be in good shape.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
We're clearly improving but lack of squad depth and the absense of a creative midfielder has stopped it from translating into consistent results in the league. Those problems can only be fixed in the transfer windows. Bruno is part of it.

Overall the progression is good though. Good signings, fitter younger squad, more clean sheets, better football, resilience in big games. There's heaps to be positive about. Add another quality midfielder and fill the remaining holes in the squad and we will be in good shape.
To be honest, I'm actually quite positive for the end of the season. I think we have looked better and more consistent. I just think there is better than Ole though

Edit: That being said, since Bruno has come in, we've looked a lot less counter attack and more controled, which is a big plus for me

Tarrou

high praise there!

Chairman Steve

I‘m happy to assess at the end of the season. If we lapse back into drawing and losing to bottom half teams and looking clueless in attack like we did regularly in the first half of the season then it’s not a good sign.

Although if OGS manages to get us into Champions League football next year, whether it be 3rd, 4th, maybe even 5th depending on that City case... or even winning the Europa League then it becomes more difficult as to stick with him or not. I’m also one of the people who thinks we can do better in terms of getting a better manager. I will say though if we do end up getting the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Maddison and all these names under who have a chance of making us better and then we do have a team that’s clearly the best team outside of City and Liverpool then the pressure should be on OGS next season to really make us progress. If we’re still doing the routine of game raising for the big boys and getting outsmarted and frustrated by the smaller boys with these 3-4 top quality additions on top of this season at the end of the calendar year, then I think OGS would have to go. He would have been here two years at that point and four transfer windows, which to me is a more than reasonable amount of time for any manager to stamp their mark on a team.

el3mel

Put on more performance like these consistently and I might become OK to give him a new season. Consistency is the key, hopefully we will have a good ending to the season.

lysglimt

Scout
There's a lot of qualities needed to suceed at the highest level of football, but football intelligence is one thing and overall intelligence is another.
I must have missed the study where this new form of intelligence was explained

Yakuza_devils

What could have been if we signed Bruno earlier in the summer. We have been saying when the season started that relying on Pereira and Lingard as attacking midfielder was crazily stupid. We also started the season with only Rashford and Martial as striker and yet to address the issue. Add 1 more world class striker then our season could have been very much different. We could have Dybala.

All the fans can see the problem except our fecking CEO - Ed. This season should have been much better if we have proper CEO that know how to plan the football side of things.

Having said all that I still feel this team need a couple more signings and an experienced modern attacking coach to bring us to challenging title again.

Ole has done a decent job if he can get us CL football somehow. But we need more experienced modern attacking coach with strong style of attacking play. I'm still not a fan of counter attacking football as the biggest club in the world.

lysglimt

Scout
Thats 18-1 in the last 7 games - 5 wins and 2 draws.

Let's fire him and get in someone who knows what they are doing - like Pochettino

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Seems like the kneejerk support is back in fashion. That's until people realise it was another false dawn.

Whether it's this year or the next one when top four will be set at 70 points, Ole is not the man to coach this team.

dogwithabone

In my opinion we are playing the best football since Fergie left. That’s not a great benchmark as we’ve had six or seven years of bland, unforgettable football but credit where credits due we are at least resembling a decent side again.

Our football is fluid and we are getting the ball from front to back much quicker and are just generally more incisive. Still three or four top players away from being a proper force again but if they can be added in the next two windows then I’d like to think the season after next will see us as genuine title challengers.

Red00012

In my opinion we are playing the best football since Fergie left. That’s not a great benchmark as we’ve had six or seven years of bland, unforgettable football but credit where credits due we are at least resembling a decent side again.
Our football is fluid and we are getting the ball from front to back much quicker and are just generally more incisive. Still three or four top players away from being a proper force again but if they can be added in the next two windows then I’d like to think the season after next will see us as genuine title challengers.
High praise indeed.

Our next 4 PL games are Everton ,City , Spurs, Sheff Utd . If we get 10/12 there I think Ole is at the wheel again.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What could have been if we signed Bruno earlier in the summer. We have been saying when the season started that relying on Pereira and Lingard as attacking midfielder was crazily stupid. We also started the season with only Rashford and Martial as striker and yet to address the issue. Add 1 more world class striker then our season could have been very much different. We could have Dybala.

All the fans can see the problem except our fecking CEO - Ed. This season should have been much better if we have proper CEO that know how to plan the football side of things.

Having said all that I still feel this team need a couple more signings and an experienced modern attacking coach to bring us to challenging title again.

Ole has done a decent job if he can get us CL football somehow. But we need more experienced modern attacking coach with strong style of attacking play. I'm still not a fan of counter attacking football as the biggest club in the world.
I don't think it's a case of Ole favoring a counter-attacking style of play, more that he felt that style would get the most out of his squad of players. There is a distinct difference between our play style from earlier in the season to what we have seen recently. Where before we were reliant on the opposition throwing men forward leaving themselves vulnerable at the back, we're now starting games on the front foot, looking for openings and opportunities to be creative. It's working too.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Seems like the kneejerk support is back in fashion. That's until people realise it was another false dawn.

Whether it's this year or the next one when top four will be set at 70 points, Ole is not the man to coach this team.
Are you going to be upset if we win the Europa League and/or get top 4/5?

Dve

I don't think it's a case of Ole favoring a counter-attacking style of play, more that he felt that style would get the most out of his squad of players. There is a distinct difference between our play style from earlier in the season to what we have seen recently. Where before we were reliant on the opposition throwing men forward leaving themselves vulnerable at the back, we're now starting games on the front foot, looking for openings and opportunities to be creative. It's working too.
The idea that Ole´s style has been to sit back and attack on the counter, is a bit of a myth. You cannot at the same time sit back and press high. The latter has been the tactics, but United have often been played deep, not by will. Being good on the counter is great. The main difference is that we now have a midfield that can hold on to the ball and bring it up the pitch to feed the attack.

hobbers

I assume this just means today. Because we've had about 14 (!) games this season where the football was as bad or worse than anything we saw from LVG, Moyes and Mourinho, even at their lowest points...

Listar

That’s not exactly how it works because if so then Liverpool does not need to buy Alisson and van dyke, John stones would be world class now and city does not need to outspend anyone.

Sometimes when you polish a turd it’s still a turd, not all can become gems even with the best coach in the world

Listar

I assume this just means today. Because we've had about 14 (!) games this season where the football was as bad or worse than anything we saw from LVG, Moyes and Mourinho, even at their lowest points...
No games this season is worse than those 3 worst matches.

Moyes 100 crosses against fulham
Mourinho Sevilla meltdown
LVG putting people to sleep

Name one match that we had this season that was worst. Don’t rewrite history mate.

SteveW

That’s not exactly how it works because if so then Liverpool does not need to buy Alisson and van dyke, John stones would be world class now and city does not need to outspend anyone.

Sometimes when you polish a turd it’s still a turd, not all can become gems even with the best coach in the world
He's improved heaps of players.

But yes, transfers are a HUGE part of it. There's a reason why Klopp has signed 18 senior players and Pep over 20. The idea that these lads just coach shit players into world beaters is idiotic. You need to sign well to improve.

hobbers

No games this season is worse than those 3 worst matches.

Moyes 100 crosses against fulham
Mourinho Sevilla meltdown
LVG putting people to sleep

Name one match that we had this season that was worst. Don’t rewrite history mate.
West Ham 0-2. Newcastle 0-1. Bournemouth 0-1. Watford 0-2. Burnley 0-2. To name but 5.

Our football in all of those matches was as bad as anything seen under the previous 3 managers. That's just indisputable.

At least with the Fulham fiasco we got the fecking ball in and around the box, and scored 2 goals, and had 31 shots and 75% possession. :lol: Like you said, don't rewrite history.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The idea that Ole´s style has been to sit back and attack on the counter, is a bit of a myth. You cannot at the same time sit back and press high. The latter has been the tactics, but United have often been played deep, not by will. Being good on the counter is great. The main difference is that we now have a midfield that can hold on to the ball and bring it up the pitch to feed the attack.
Yes. That claim never really made much sense. It looks like to me that he has spent much energy on first improving the things that will define us as a team, the sort of things you don't need world class players to be able to work on. This explains why we have raised our games against the big clubs, while struggling to dominate when the game demands a lot more from the players than simply do whats necessary to win. How do you turn Lingard and Mata into Silva and De Bruyne against Wolves. It's impossible. Sometimes we just lose the midfield battle, and too many attacks have been wasted from loss of possession so naturally we'll sit back when that happens. The upside is that we have moved the team upfield to press high and maintained a direct approach in attack. We haven't made it work consistently but it's something we always do now, and it's part of our tactic. We have played on the front foot, even when sitting back. Best example of this is our game last season against PSG. That performance told us a lot about what Ole possibly could bring to our team in terms of a winning mentality. We had to defend, but when we attacked we were dangerous. Maybe not so much the Wolves way of patterns of quick play, but just sheer mentality and intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.