Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Will this change again if we beat Palace?
I’m happy personally for him to continue in the medium term if we get the CL spot whether it’s via Europa League or through finishing in the top.

Paul_Scholes18

I think the bigger question to ask is if Ole is good enough to challenge Liverpool and City? If no then we should look for someone that is at least next season.

Revan

Assumptionman
People are drawing comparisons with Moyes on here after an unbeaten run of 18 games, where we just dropped two points 7 mins in OT after having to finish the game with a man down due to injury.
We have 5 less points than what we had under Moyes at the end of the season. So, it is still likely that we might end with as many or fewer points than in Moyes' season.

Looking at cherry-picked statistics will just fool ourselves. Looking at the entire season, we can finish with our lowest ever number of points in an EPL season, and at the very best, it is still gonna be a very low number of points. In fact, even if we win all our three remaining matches, it is still gonna be our fourth-lowest point tally in the history of EPL (only under Moyes, LVG's second season and last season would be worse), and this is a very big if. It is extremely likely that it is gonna be one of our bottom 3 lowest point tally since EPL began. If we win all three matches, we will reach UCL. In the last 10 seasons, only twice a team with 68 points (our absolute maximum) would have reached UCL. This in a season when Liverpool might break the points record, so we are talking for a historically weak league.

As I've been saying since people lost their shit, this has been an extremely poor season. Doing mental gymnastics on pretending that the season started whenever it suits us does no favor to anyone. Just be honest with ourselves, admit that it was mostly a poor season with a decent purple path, and try to improve over it. Pretending that we will challenge for title anytime soon, while we cannot reach UCL despite other teams being shit, is totally delusional.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think the bigger question to ask is if Ole is good enough to challenge Liverpool and City. If no then we should look for someone that is.
Let's ensure he is good enough to finish above Leicester and Chelsea when they are in proper meltdown before we start asking can he challenge City or Liverpool. In total points, we are nearer the relegation zone than the champions.

Womp

idiot
I alluded to the fact that I didn't want to get giddy due to false dawns and our over reliance on individuals and I was laughed at. We look absolutely torrid if Pogba and/or Bruno aren't on it. That isn't the sign of good coaching, that's the sign of having world class players.

M16Red

I don’t think he can be blamed for casual
Play by a World Cup winning footballer nor can he be blamed when the most talented forward misses chances. Martial was excellent but could and should have had a hat trick. Sometimes great players do that but the coach gets the blame
Are you saying that Pogba not looking over his shoulder is the coaches fault?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I alluded to the fact that I didn't want to get giddy due to false dawns and our over reliance on individuals and I was laughed at. We look absolutely torrid if Pogba and/or Bruno aren't on it. That isn't the sign of good coaching, that's the sign of having world class players.
Have to agree. The good coaching I saw tonight was in the away box.

Idxomer

In my view, he shouldn't be more than a necessary stop-gap. He's doing good work changing the culture around the club and getting the right players in but I'm not convinced he's the man to take us ap another level. I accepted the fact though that the club views him as more than that and for better or worse they're gonna let him finish the rebuild.

Revan

Assumptionman
In my view, he shouldn't be more than a necessary stop-gap. He's doing good work changing the culture around the club and getting the right players in but I'm not convinced he's the man to take us ap another level. I accepted the fact though that the club views him as more than that and for better or worse they're gonna let him finish the rebuild.
What culture? We still have the mentality of Spurs under Redknapp. Any time we need to not drop points, we do.

What right players? AWB is the most expensive RB of all time, Maguire is the most expensive defender of all time, both of them have serious limitations and arguably neither is on top 10 in their position. James so far has been a disaster, Bruno has been a great signing though.

If Ole was called Moyes, Mourinho, or LVG, the pitchforks would have been out a long time ago. Not reaching UCL in this historically weak league is not a sign of progress.

FatherWolff

Oh dear.. Here we go again with the band brothers.. Hate to brake IT to you guys, but Southampton has been good after the brake, and the World isnt perfect. If you are proper fans, you would say. Not good enough! Several players didnt turn up! But we go again! That is if you not GOT an agenda.. Embarresing this thread.

Last edited:

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Seems like people completely ignore the fact that we are still 5 points away from matching the same points as the disastrous Moyes season. Third place would already have been wrapped up at this point if we didn't royally feck up so bad early and mid season, where our form was a complete shambles.

Idgaf if you like my opinion or not but if we fail to reach top 4 after practically being handed it on a silver plate then he should be axed with immediate effect. He has done absolutely nothing so far to gain my trust that he could actually turn us into even remote contenders.
In my humble opinion, I think you have also ignored the fact that we suffered from a lack of quality as well as injuries during the times of the season that you mentioned.
But January onwards, we seemed to be progressing fine.

Results like today happen to everyone. Southampton played well and if it wasn’t for Pogba, we could’ve avoided the first goal and still won 2-1 or maybe kept it 2-0 if it wasn’t for Williams going off and us playing with 10 men. Scenarios like these can happen to anyone.

Sure we had an opportunity to take the 3rd spot and obviously all of us are bummed cuz of it but im still confident we’ll make too 4.

Ole definitely deserves another season and as far as turning us into contenders goes, we’re not too far away. If today’s result had been a win, I wonder how entirely opposite your reaction would’ve been.

NecssryEvil

I have to wonder why Ole is telling Martial to miss when he is one on one with the gk.
Or why he told Pogba to give the ball away so easily.
Or why he told Rashford to miss the sitter in front.
Or why he decided to tell Greenwood to sit this one out.
And I certainly don’t get why he called the VAR box and told them to ignore the obvious red.

I am bummed about the result but why tf did this thread get bumped to the top before multiple player threads?

oh, and fecking get Sancho signed

RedStarUnited

10 men down.
important 3 points on the line.
Last few minutes.
No crowd.

He is sitting down watching the game on the monitor like us. He should be on touchline barking orders and coaching the lads. It doesnt help that his contemporaries (Pep/Klopp) do this.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What culture? We still have the mentality of Spurs under Redknapp. Any time we need to not drop points, we do.

What right players? AWB is the most expensive RB of all time, Maguire is the most expensive defender of all time, both of them have serious limitations and arguably neither is on top 10 in their position. James so far has been a disaster, Bruno has been a great signing though.

If Ole was called Moyes, Mourinho, or LVG, the pitchforks would have been out a long time ago. Not reaching UCL in this historically weak league is not a sign of progress.
That's actually an apt comparison.

Revan

Assumptionman
I have to wonder why Ole is telling Martial to miss when he is one on one with the gk.
Or why he told Pogba to give the ball away so easily.
Or why he told Rashford to miss the sitter in front.
Or why he decided to tell Greenwood to sit this one out.
And I certainly don’t get why he called the VAR box and told them to ignore the obvious red.

I am bummed about the result but why tf did this thread get bumped to the top before multiple player threads?

oh, and fecking get Sancho signed
My best guess would be that it is getting bumped because we have the lowest number of points we ever had in the history of EPL at this stage of the season. We need 5 points in the next 3 matches (which is exactly our average number of points per match we have got this season) to match the mighty 2013-2014 season.

And the manager might have to do something with it.

hobbers

It's still a simple equation - if we get top four Ole gets a second chance.

If we don't - we look elsewhere. Whether that would mean an immediate change or not I don't know.

DevilRed

Only can fault Ole for not rotating the squad a little bit more today. Maybe changing up the formation.

However, its clear that some of our players are running out of gas again. Does that remind you of a certain end of season run last year!?

Or have our memories been wiped out by this current unbeaten streak?

When the chips are down, we can't win the matches that will get us over the line (this being top four, not even a trophy).

The Real Treble 99

The only mistake I thought Ole made today was taking Bruno off. Even though he had a poor game the guy was everywhere & we were still doing something. I even wrote in the match day thread, that I hope the substitution doesn’t backfire.

DevilRed

And rightly so. Ole doesn't deserve any more time if we fail to get top 4.
Have to disagree. We were ravaged by injuries most of the year.

When we have our best players back, we are a formidable team.

However, not title contenders by any stretch of the imagination. This summer, the board needs to back Ole to bring in that right winger, central midfielder and centreback to replace the weak links and improve our depth.

Eddy_JukeZ

The league is just as bad as it was in 2015-2016.

Top 4 is still in our hands. If we can't get it, questions need to be asked.

Robbie Boy

The sentiment always seemed to be for every manager post-Fergie that no CL football should get a manager the sack. I see this seems to be slightly different for Ole. There are obvious reasons for that, but don't expect everyone to be happy to keep him if we miss out on CL football and don't forget that's been the bar for every manager we've had since Fergie.

Skills

Snitch
The players makes him look better than he is, rather than the other way around.

Revan

Assumptionman
The sentiment always seemed to be for every manager post-Fergie that no CL football should get a manager the sack. I see this seems to be slightly different for Ole. There are obvious reasons for that, but don't expect everyone to be happy to keep him if we miss out on CL football and don't forget that's been the bar for every manager we've hae since Fergie.
Exactly. I wanted us to hire Ole back then, but I also want us to rate Ole based on his job as a manager, not based on goals he scored 2 decades ago.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders

1) That’s a very subjective statement. We didn’t drop crucial points every time though. What about the results we got against the top 6 teams this season? They have gone a long way in getting us where we are at the moment. At least still in the fight for top 4. I have mentioned this before also, and I’ll say it again. Any other manager who would’ve come in instead of Ole would’ve no doubt suffered just as much due to the lack of quality in our team. Hell, even Mou the special one couldn’t get more out of the team he left behind. We have gone through a major reboot and at least we’re headed in the right direction finally.

2) The term most expensive is again subjective. When city signed Walker he was the most expensive FB if I’m not wrong. Point is due to inflation and market elevation, prices had gone up drastically. That’s not to say you’re wrong about them having limitations and surely there’s work needed but had we gone for alternatives, they would’ve cost the same amounts approximately.

We dropped points today and sure it hurt our chances and I agree that top 4 is necessary, but please let’s appreciate all the progress being made.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Have to disagree. We were ravaged by injuries most of the year.

When we have our best players back, we are a formidable team.

However, not title contenders by any stretch of the imagination. This summer, the board needs to back Ole to bring in that right winger, central midfielder and centreback to replace the weak links and improve our depth.
We have one of the worst PPG since Fergie. Apart from Liverpool all the teams are horse shit. He has been backed with plenty of money. So what else he needs to be successful. A manager with far less resources just schooled us today. Pogba and Bruno romance had no answer . That's on the manager where he can't coach the team on how to play.

All is well when we win. The team is good, morale is good and dressing room atmosphere is great. But we have to win when it matters. These things means feck all if we can't win at the crucial times.

Sincerely hope we get the top 4 else we will just be going back to mid table mediocrity with a rookie manager .

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Seems like people completely ignore the fact that we are still 5 points away from matching the same points as the disastrous Moyes season. Third place would already have been wrapped up at this point if we didn't royally feck up so bad early and mid season, where our form was a complete shambles.

Idgaf if you like my opinion or not but if we fail to reach top 4 after practically being handed it on a silver plate then he should be axed with immediate effect. He has done absolutely nothing so far to gain my trust that he could actually turn us into even remote contenders.
And you seem to be ignoring the fact we’ve played the vast majority of the season without our best CM, No10 and frequent injuries to our best attackers.

Revan

Assumptionman
1) That’s a very subjective statement. We didn’t drop crucial points every time though. What about the results we got against the top 6 teams this season? They have gone a long way in getting us where we are at the moment. At least still in the fight for top 4. I have mentioned this before also, and I’ll say it again. Any other manager who would’ve come in instead of Ole would’ve no doubt suffered just as much due to the lack of quality in our team. Hell, even Mou the special one couldn’t get more out of the team he left behind. We have gone through a major reboot and at least we’re headed in the right direction finally.

2) The term most expensive is again subjective. When city signed Walker he was the most expensive FB if I’m not wrong. Point is due to inflation and market elevation, prices had gone up drastically. That’s not to say you’re wrong about them having limitations and surely there’s work needed but had we gone for alternatives, they would’ve cost the same amounts approximately.

We dropped points today and sure it hurt our chances and I agree that top 4 is necessary, but please let’s appreciate all the progress being made.
That is the thing we disagree about. The progress being made is only if we consider a specific part of the season. We had them under every manager (except probably Moyes, but even with him we had 0-5 away victories in UCL). We won 6 matches in a row with LVG in the same season we destroyed Spurs, Liverpool and City within 2 weeks.

If we consider the season, I fail to see the progress. On par to have our joined worst number of points in the history of EPL. If we somehow win all the remaining matches, great we reach UCL. With that number of points we would have reached UCL in 2 out of the last 10 seasons (and once because of GD). From 4 signings, we have 1/4 hit, 2/4 decent but vastly overpriced signings, and one that looks like a Championship player. Decent, but hardly great (we had decent but hardly great signings under every manager). He put Greenwood and Williams on the team, the first one is actually great, the second one is decent. Again, pretty much every manager did so. Mourinho put McTominay, Van Gaal put Rashford and a dozen others, Moyes put Januzaj. Yes, Greenwood is better (though Rashford is still ahead of him), but that is simply cause he is better.

Looking at the entire season, we have had the mediocre average season we are used to getting for the last decade, and we are likely gonna be in the European minion league again. Yet people claim that we're third-best team in the league (and comfortably so) and are gonna challenge for the title next season, when we are closer to getting relegated than winning the title (check the table if you don't believe me).

Idxomer

We dropped points because we simply didn't play that well which is partly the manager's fault.

The players are there from him though 100% which is a bit different than the last manager. He also got rid of Sanchez and Lukaku, two players who weren't here for the team. The introduction of Greenwood has also been made nicely. I've been critical before about signing both AWB and Maguire for this amount of money but they're still an upgrade on what he had. The team we have this season is better than the last one which is progress.

I agree not reaching CL is a failure that highlights Ole's weaknesses as a coach but they'll still be there even if he does qualify.

Revan

Assumptionman
We dropped points because we simply didn't play that well which is partly the manager's fault.

The players are there from him though 100% which is a bit different than the last manager. He also got rid of Sanchez and Lukaku, two players who weren't here for the team. The introduction of Greenwood has also been made nicely. I've been critical before about signing both AWB and Maguire for this amount of money but they're still an upgrade on what he had. The team we have this season is better than the last one which is progress.

I agree not reaching CL is a failure that highlights Ole's weaknesses as a coach but they'll still be there even if he does qualify.
And we are still likely to finish on fewer points than we finished last season (despite that we got only 2 points on the last 5 matches last season), after spending a decent amount of money.

So, where does exactly come this 'imaginary progress'? Are we sure we are seeing something that just isn't there?

I agree about Greenwood though. But I just think that he is so good that any manager would have introduced him.

montpelier

We are the best team in the League on current form over a decent period and playing the best football in 10yrs (?) and you lunatics want to sack the Manager achieving that.

And your argument is: Top 4

And/or some spoilt nonsense about how scarcely more than 1 other team should ever finish ahead of us.

You might be right about Ole overall but you ain't right atm and you won't be right until about next January at the earliest.

Go and support someone else.

NecssryEvil

My best guess would be that it is getting bumped because we have the lowest number of points we ever had in the history of EPL at this stage of the season. We need 5 points in the next 3 matches (which is exactly our average number of points per match we have got this season) to match the mighty 2013-2014 season.

And the manager might have to do something with it.
And the players are blameless?

At some point we need to have a little more faith in the manager and give them time to right the ship. I haven’t had an issue with replacing any of the prior three at the time it happened , none deserved/earned more time. But, this time things are going in the right direction despite some setbacks. And, while Ole still has some things he needs to improve on, this one is on the players.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
It's still a simple equation - if we get top four Ole gets a second chance.

If we don't - we look elsewhere. Whether that would mean an immediate change or not I don't know.
I really don't think this will happen, barring a monumental collapse. If we bounce back playing well in our subsequent games but lose out somehow (goal difference?), the board may see enough to believe that next season will be better.

Revan

Assumptionman
And the players are blameless?

At some point we need to have a little more faith in the manager and give them time to right the ship. I haven’t had an issue with replacing any of the prior three at the time it happened , none deserved/earned more time. But, this time things are going in the right direction despite some setbacks. And, while Ole still has some things he needs to improve on, this one is on the players.
That's the thing I strongly disagree, it just isn't the case. He is a United legend, but he has been piss poor as a manager. Same as the others (actually arguably worse than the last two, probably as bad as Moyes if we finish with only as many or fewer points than we did with Moyes).

No the players are not blameless, same as they never were with the other managers. But the buck stops with the manager, and if he cannot make UCL on this poor league, while every team except Liverpool is in total meltdown, and finishes with the lowest number of points on the history of the league (and in bottom 3 if we do not make UCL), then why we should stick with a manager who is not good enough?! If a noob like Lampard with a worse team can make in UCL, then why we should create excuses for Ole?

Pretty much every manager had his supporters here on their last day, despite that all three of them were clueless. United is like a worshipping cult for the manager.

Eddy_JukeZ

We are the best team in the League on current form over a decent period and playing the best football in 10yrs (?) and you lunatics want to sack the Manager achieving that.

And your argument is: Top 4

And/or some spoilt nonsense about how scarcely more than 1 other team should ever finish ahead of us.

You might be right about Ole overall but you ain't right atm and you won't be right until about next January at the earliest.

Go and support someone else.
So Ole would be blameless if we failed to get top 4 considering it's still literally in our hands?

Revan

Assumptionman
I really don't think this will happen, barring a monumental collapse. If we bounce back playing well in our subsequent games but lose out somehow (goal difference?), the board may see enough to believe that next season will be better.
Dunno, the board has been ruthless when it comes to UCL. LVG was sacked despite missing on UCL in goal difference (with likely more points than Ole will finish this year) and winning FA Cup.

I believe it might be UCL or get sacked. As it should be. The problem is that with yet again forgetting to hire a director of football, there won't be any contingency plans and then rinse and repeat again. Which is why Ole might get another season despite doing a poor job on his time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.