Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

To be fair, wasn't that long ago that a number of posters on here backed Jose's opinion of swapping Martial for Willian. People called Rashford, Rashford and referred to him as Championship material.
This is what happens when you back the manager blindly. Those same posters now think everything Jose did was toxic.. but you couldn’t get them to admit it at the time.

DevilRed

Regardless of the final trophy haul or results this year, we have been on a great run of matches. To add on that most of our players have shown significant improvement and our finally maturing into a team.

For that alone I'm sure the board will stick with Ole for at least another year.

You can see that significant progress is being made and we are improving by the day.

Steve Bruce

I've seen enough to change my vote to keep him regardless of what happens between now & the end of the season.

The team look so much better & consistent. Ole himself has improved & while he's certainly not the finished article as a manager he does appear to be growing into one.

I'm not eating humble pie yet, but I have my knife & fork ready & I hope I'll get a big serving soon

FatherWolff

Nobody is disputing the last 19 games or so, but the season started in 2019 and ends in 2020. The damage was done last year and we are for example not even close to matching Mourinho’s first season, even with a much better team in place. Goals? We’ll end up right around the same amount of goals scored, although I’ll stop comparing apples and oranges right away. Last year, great start and woeful finish - where is the consistency when things are going worse? Our lowest level needs to be much higher than it is, Solskjær doesn’t seem to manage this scenario very well.

I have enjoyed watching United since the re-start and we have very good players, but is Solskjær really the one to guide this pool of talent the next few years? My answer is big no, we could do so much better with a professional manager. Right now I am seeing great players beating lesser players because they are... much better, but I see few signs of a gameplan and attacking patters that’s there because of the manager. The Soton-game showed us exactly that, when plan A goes to shit and we have tired players, there was no shock effect from the manager to correct standings.
The answer from the players seems to be a big yes. Do you really think Pogba would be having talks about a new contract, if you where even I the ballpark? I don’t think so. And if you haven’t seen pattern of play I think you are blind. Even old dog Matic is playing in a way he have never done before. And I think calling Ole a non professional manager is borderline disrespectful worthy a ban. But that’s just my opinion.

lysglimt

Scout
Nobody is disputing the last 19 games or so, but the season started in 2019 and ends in 2020. The damage was done last year and we are for example not even close to matching Mourinho’s first season, even with a much better team in place. Goals? We’ll end up right around the same amount of goals scored, although I’ll stop comparing apples and oranges right away. Last year, great start and woeful finish - where is the consistency when things are going worse? Our lowest level needs to be much higher than it is, Solskjær doesn’t seem to manage this scenario very well.

I have enjoyed watching United since the re-start and we have very good players, but is Solskjær really the one to guide this pool of talent the next few years? My answer is big no, we could do so much better with a professional manager. Right now I am seeing great players beating lesser players because they are... much better, but I see few signs of a gameplan and attacking patters that’s there because of the manager. The Soton-game showed us exactly that, when plan A goes to shit and we have tired players, there was no shock effect from the manager to correct standings.
Sorry - but I feel sorry for you, I really do.

a) Mourinho did better in his first season - ehm...no he did not. He ended 6th with 69 points

b) We will end up around the same amount of goals ? Yes if we manage to score minus 8 goals in our last 2 games. We have already outscored that team by 8 goals.

c) Solskjaer doesn't manage this scenario - very well ? No - our total number of 0 defeats in 6 months surely indicates that you are right.

d) Is he really the manager to take us forward ? Once again - 0 defeats in 19 games, happy players, youngster taking huge strides, and the best form in the league clearly indicates that he is clueless. Oh yes absolutely...

e) We drew against Southampton thanks to having 10 men and they scoring in the 96th minute. If happens - City have had several of these matches with Guardiola as manager. Do you seriously expect us never to make a mistake and not win a game ?

Congratulations - it's not often I applaud a person for getting everything wrong - but you did it :)

lysglimt

Scout
Quite the opposite. Would you take player of the year Jordan Henderson? :lol:
He did have van Dijk, Allison, TAA, Mane, Firmino, Fabinho, Salah - I certainly would consider them bloody good players. And would I take Henderson ? Nope - but that is because he doesn't fit our way of playing football, for Liverpool he is perfect

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

Set attacking patterns do not always work and their predictability is easier to defend for opposition coaches and players. Quick, unpredictable play is the best form of attack.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Why can't 'fans' just enjoy what's happening and support the team and manager?

Ole has done a great job turning around the shit show the poisoned one left behind.

Mainoldo

He did have van Dijk, Allison, TAA, Mane, Firmino, Fabinho, Salah - I certainly would consider them bloody good players. And would I take Henderson ? Nope - but that is because he doesn't fit our way of playing football, for Liverpool he is perfect
Oh right. He doesn’t fit our way of playing football. Is he any different to McTominay or Fred?

How many of those players if up on the market for free in say a draft pick situation would get picked ahead of our equivalents?

Out of interest PSG had a chance to get either Salah or Rashford who are they going to take? Martial or Firmino? Pogba or whoever?

It’s not a straight forward choice is it. But there’s a 30 plus points gap. Fair enough he’s had more time. But Ole just needs to motivate good players. Klopp has ancestorated a system.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Haven't changed my vote yet but I hope I am proven wrong. One thing I've noticed is that more often than not our games mirror our season.

Start dreadfully, finally realise we might actually need to start playing and then do really well, almost get to the point of correcting our mistakes, only for it all to fall to pieces anyway.

I am unsure if this is a motivation/concentration problem, but it's a bit worrying.

mancave bear

Ole will never be a winning machine like a Klopp or a Pep or a prime Mourinho.
As much as I like him, I am convinced that if United want to make that big leap from being "one of those top four English sides" to being "that top English side" he has to make way for someone else.

If United secure the top four, he can be given one more year; if United finish outside the top-four, he has to go right away.
He has shown us we can beat the best teams (beating Pep every league game), and now he shows us he can beat the defensiv teames that we used to struggle with. Since Bruno came in, we have been the best team in the league.

With 4-5 more quality players, so that we can have a bit of rotation, we will win the league. Ole does have what it takes. Feel sorry for you who cant enjoy the ride : )

Sultan

@James Peril

LvG was a master at gameplan and patterns of play. Even us amateurs could read the game 5 passes ahead whilst watching the game. It was sleep-inducing. Remember, football is also an entertainment industry. Winning with negative predictable football is no fun.

Last edited:

Langers7274

Sorry - but I feel sorry for you, I really do.

a) Mourinho did better in his first season - ehm...no he did not. He ended 6th with 69 points

b) We will end up around the same amount of goals ? Yes if we manage to score minus 8 goals in our last 2 games. We have already outscored that team by 8 goals.

c) Solskjaer doesn't manage this scenario - very well ? No - our total number of 0 defeats in 6 months surely indicates that you are right.

d) Is he really the manager to take us forward ? Once again - 0 defeats in 19 games, happy players, youngster taking huge strides, and the best form in the league clearly indicates that he is clueless. Oh yes absolutely...

e) We drew against Southampton thanks to having 10 men and they scoring in the 96th minute. If happens - City have had several of these matches with Guardiola as manager. Do you seriously expect us never to make a mistake and not win a game ?

Congratulations - it's not often I applaud a person for getting everything wrong - but you did it :)

100% behind you!!! We tried Moyes thinking he would replicate Fergie with longevity and trophies, he failed!! We tried a proven manager with an impeccable CV in LVG, he probably resorted to the worst style of play ever witnessed at OT and failed, we tried with one of the best managers the game has seen in Jose, he failed!! Ole has reconnected the players back with the clubs ethos and required attitudes, no he's not the most experienced and doesn't have the CV that one would expect at OT but the strides he's made over the last 18mths are huge, the club's heading in the right direction and people are questioning whether he should stay??? My god!!!

Reactions: Sultan

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's lazy to just judge him over the course of the entire season given the difference between our performances pre and post Bruno. We are a different team. I say this as someone who was full on backing him to get sacked back in December/January.

For me he's actually done a pretty remarkable job to turn things around so much. I wanted him gone because I didn't think it was possible that a manager could turn things around from such a shocking run of results and form, but he did so to just say "we should sack him if we don't get top four" considering we're the best performing team in the league over the last 20 odd games is daft.

I still have legitimite concerns over whether he's the right fit and the fact that our two really great spells under him happened when very little pressure was actually on the team and we seem to (for want of a better word) "bottle" it when the pressure is on and we can actually achieve something - but he deserves backing going into next season regardless of our final position this season.
I can get on board with this and it largely mirrors my own thoughts although I do think it’s fair to have questions about him in relation to our performances in the pre-Bruno era. There was way more to that than just not having a player of his caliber and we were outplayed consistently by teams with far less quality players at their disposal.

With that said, I agree he’s done a fantastic job in turning things around which I’m delighted to have been wrong about, although I share your concerns over the pressure point and I’m worried about getting into the classic scouse style boom/bust cycle and going on great runs that ultimate end up meaning nothing whilst being unable to turn it on when it counts.

Sultan

Sack Ole has now been an outdated question for a number of months. Posters need to change their votes to reflect this change.

shaky

Haven't changed my vote yet but I hope I am proven wrong. One thing I've noticed is that more often than not our games mirror our season.

Start dreadfully, finally realise we might actually need to start playing and then do really well, almost get to the point of correcting our mistakes, only for it all to fall to pieces anyway.

I am unsure if this is a motivation/concentration problem, but it's a bit worrying.
So out of the 3 options; keep, sack now, or replace at the end of the season, you still think the best idea is to sack him right now and appoint someone else, hopefully in time for the game on Sunday I assume? That's a bold strategy.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Best League Form Since Sir Alex Retired:

Comparing Ole's two runs is interesting, Goal Difference is pretty much the same yet we've had more clean sheets but with less wins. Over 2 goals a game is brilliant as well, whats also interesting is that Jose and Van Gaals first big run was their best run, with Ole he's managed to equal the new Manager bounce and might improve on it.
Manager​
Start​
End​
Games​
Matchday*​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Clean Sheets​
Wins​
Draws​
Win %​
Goals Per Game​
Clean Sheet %​
Jose​
Sat 29.10.2016​
Sun 30.04.2017​
25​
10 to 34​
38​
13​
25​
12​
13​
12​
52.0%​
1.5​
48.0%​
Ole​
Sat 22.12.2018​
Sat 02.03.2019​
12​
1 to 12​
29​
9​
20​
5​
10​
2​
83.3%​
2.4​
41.7%​
Ole​
Sat 01.02.2020​
...​
12​
46 to 57​
27​
6​
21​
8​
8​
4​
66.7%​
2.3​
66.7%​
Jose​
Wed 17.05.2017​
Sat 14.10.2017​
10​
37 to 46​
23​
2​
21​
9​
7​
3​
70.0%​
2.3​
90.0%​
Van Gaal​
Sat 08.11.2014​
Thu 01.01.2015​
10​
11 to 20​
18​
6​
12​
4​
7​
3​
70.0%​
1.8​
40.0%​
Jose​
Wed 13.12.2017​
Sat 20.01.2018​
8​
55 to 62​
13​
5​
8​
5​
5​
3​
62.5%​
1.6​
62.5%​
Van Gaal​
Sat 17.10.2015​
Sat 05.12.2015​
7​
47 to 53​
8​
2​
6​
5​
3​
4​
42.9%​
1.1​
71.4%​
Moyes​
Sat 05.10.2013​
Sun 01.12.2013​
7​
7 to 13​
14​
9​
5​
1​
4​
3​
57.1%​
2.0​
14.3%​

* This column represents when the run occured during the Managers reign. 1 to 12 = 1st game to Managers 12th game.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
So out of the 3 options; keep, sack now, or replace at the end of the season, you still think the best idea is to sack him right now and appoint someone else, hopefully in time for the game on Sunday I assume? That's a bold strategy.
Well no, I'm just saying I want to see how the season finishes before deciding what to do. I don't see that option in the poll.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Best League Form Since Sir Alex Retired:

Comparing Ole's two runs is interesting, Goal Difference is pretty much the same yet we've had more clean sheets but with less wins. Over 2 goals a game is brilliant as well, whats also interesting is that Jose and Van Gaals first big run was their best run, with Ole he's managed to equal the new Manager bounce and might improve on it.
Manager​
Start​
End​
Games​
Matchday*​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Clean Sheets​
Wins​
Draws​
Win %​
Goals Per Game​
Clean Sheet %​
Jose​
Sat 29.10.2016​
Sun 30.04.2017​
25​
10 to 34​
38​
13​
25​
12​
13​
12​
52.0%​
1.5​
48.0%​
Ole​
Sat 22.12.2018​
Sat 02.03.2019​
12​
1 to 12​
29​
9​
20​
5​
10​
2​
83.3%​
2.4​
41.7%​
Ole​
Sat 01.02.2020​
...​
12​
46 to 57​
27​
6​
21​
8​
8​
4​
66.7%​
2.3​
66.7%​
Jose​
Wed 17.05.2017​
Sat 14.10.2017​
10​
37 to 46​
23​
2​
21​
9​
7​
3​
70.0%​
2.3​
90.0%​
Van Gaal​
Sat 08.11.2014​
Thu 01.01.2015​
10​
11 to 20​
18​
6​
12​
4​
7​
3​
70.0%​
1.8​
40.0%​
Jose​
Wed 13.12.2017​
Sat 20.01.2018​
8​
55 to 62​
13​
5​
8​
5​
5​
3​
62.5%​
1.6​
62.5%​
Van Gaal​
Sat 17.10.2015​
Sat 05.12.2015​
7​
47 to 53​
8​
2​
6​
5​
3​
4​
42.9%​
1.1​
71.4%​
Moyes​
Sat 05.10.2013​
Sun 01.12.2013​
7​
7 to 13​
14​
9​
5​
1​
4​
3​
57.1%​
2.0​
14.3%​

* This column represents when the run occured during the Managers reign. 1 to 12 = 1st game to Managers 12th game.
Awesome work @RedSky

That first run was so good, winning 83% games, scoring 2.4 goals per game.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Regardless of where they finish, it’s pretty clear that this collection of players has been moulded into a squad that are all pulling together like nothing we’ve seen for years. Ole deserves big credit for turning this titanic around

crossy1686

career ending
Regardless of where they finish, it’s pretty clear that this collection of players has been moulded into a squad that are all pulling together like nothing we’ve seen for years. Ole deserves big credit for turning this titanic around
Absolutely, it's been brilliant and the turnaround has been much faster than I certainly anticipated. My major concern for next season is that Ole's isn't 100% backed in the window and we either look like we won't make top 4 or we'll scrape it again, if any of those things happen it will cost him his job. Hopefully the expectation is sensible next season and there's no talk of title pushes or anything.

Suv666

Anyone still calling for Ole to get sacked needs to get their head checked

MiracleInMadrid

His biggest achievement, from my point of view, is that I am now looking forward to watching United. In the way that it fills me with excitement. And make no mistake, I always looked forward to it under the previous managers. But at different points under all of Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho it was not with excitement, but more with the fear of being let down again. Which I was time after time. All joy of football fainted a bit from time to time. There is no fun in talking to your friends about how well their teams are doing, when your own team is a complete mess.

Now I like watching us again. I see a lot of players that enjoy playing under Ole, for United, and with each other. I also see players that are expressing themselves on the pitch. I see characters. Not a grey mass of players with no fire in them.

That alone makes me support Ole. He is clearly improving, and as long as he and the team are progressing there is no reason to question him.

Reactions: Sultan

Paul_Scholes18

Anyone still calling for Ole to get sacked needs to get their head checked
If a better manager is around why would we not consider the uppgrade? Same as with players.
I think he should get another season though and see if he can improve key things needed to challenge for big things.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've changed my mind and say let's give the guy a chance but I am worried if he's the man to take us to the next level.

He seems to have found a starting 11 that's doing well but can he managed the squad better and get the best out of them all?

For example, greenwood should have been rested against CP as he had a minor injury and we have games coming in thick and fast.

But he has done well to reinvigorate Martial, settle the ship with Pogba, dropped some of the dead wood with more to go I'm sure...

I'd like to see more of what we have against the bigger teams before fully having my mind changed.

Zen86

If a better manager is around why would we not consider the uppgrade? Same as with players.
I think he should get another season though and see if he can improve key things needed to challenge for big things.
Because you don’t rip and replace a manager and everything suddenly gets better. That’s not how it works, at all.

Paul_Scholes18

Because you don’t rip and replace a manager and everything suddenly gets better. That’s not how it works, at all.
Well we have seen that happen too. Under the right manager things could improve fairly quickly.
Remember with Pep as an example. Zidane won the CL taking over straight away too.
Getting a mental boost is not really needed for us, but a tactical one could be.

Withnail

Well we have seen that happen too. Under the right manager things could improve fairly quickly.
Remember with Pep as an example. Zidane won the CL taking over straight away too.
Getting a mental boost is not really needed for us, but a tactical one could be.
And you trust the club, given their record since Fergie left, will pick this as yet un-named genius who's going to stroll in and bring us back to top?

Paul_Scholes18

And you trust the club, given their record since Fergie left, will pick this as yet un-named genius who's going to stroll in and bring us back to top?
Certainly not. That is why I think we should wait. Sadly our two main rivals got top managers now.

Withnail

Are you really sure this is happening more often than not?

We are on quite a significant unbeaten run so I'm a little unclear how our games have fallen to pieces more often than not.

This is besides the fact that our season as of today quite clearly hasn't fallen to pieces.

Withnail

Certainly not. That is why I think we should wait. Sadly our two main rivals got top managers now.
Now we're getting somewhere. That along with the progress we've made is why I don't believe considering a manager change is the right thing to be doing.

If it all falls apart next season then it's a valid conversation imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.