Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
1. It gives Ole a free ride. No matter how bad he is, this argument saves his job. Where is the bar set? At what point do we say “yes the owners don’t make it easy but you’ve been shown to be a big part of the problem too”
2. Secondly, SAF was successful despite working for this regime. So a really top class manager can overcome the obstacles and give the team a personality and some direction.
You have to take into account that they gave Ole the job because the fans were less likely to turn on him and he was less likely to turn on Ed. So he provides the Glazers with insulation. He is there lightning conductor.

And you would never get a SAF type manager to come here now. And even he was successful at the end mostly by animating the corpses of his old side - Giggs and Scholes hobbling about in their zimmers. He could never have rebuilt.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Allegro aside, it’s not exactly compelling. Hazenhuti I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole.

The point is there aren’t this great pool of world class managers. There is not anyone who with any degree of certainty is going to be better than OGS.
That's an extreme belief.

Not being funny but in the pool of managers Ole isn’t nowhere near top tear. So whoever we replace him with unless we decide to give Dwight Yorke a go. Would probably be better than him. The guy can’t even get good fitness coaches.
Yes t he took us to third last season. He’s the one who has made a massive change in the culture of the club and shipped out crap like Lukaku. Darmian, Sanchez with others to follow.

Pirlo has no experience. Lampard had no experience, Zidane had no experience.

The grass is not greener. He has earned the right for this season, and hopefully we will see signs of success. One game means the square root of sweet FA.

Lee565

The question that needs to be asked is that if the glazers are going to keep holding back on in the transfer market, is ole the right choice of manager to work to a budget and able to get the most of a squad he has to work with?

The fact that fans say we need to throw big money at a centre back and a right winger for ole to get the team playing well tells me no he is not the right choice under such circumstances.

Womp

idiot
I wanted him sacked last season and I'm still not entirely convinced he's the man to lead us forward, but I refuse to point the finger at him at the moment. By all accounts, he has been extremely let down by the board, which seems to be common place with the absolute idiots that run this football club these days. He has not been given the platform to actually illustrate if he is capable or not. Momentum is everything in this game and despite him doing his job towards the end of last season, the board haven't done theirs. We have gone into the season with both physically and mentally exhausted players, some of our best players are coming off extremely negative media coverage and/or recovering from the coronavirus, we have barely had any pre-season games and we haven't had any reinforcements to bring some positivity back.

The board can all get fecked before I start pointing the finger at Ole, regardless of my opinion of him

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Pep, and Klopp aside, who are these great managers who can come in and immediately make Utd challengers?
Well, I don't think Ole is a particularly good manager in any aspect, so I think a lot are better. But the United job is particularly punishing, so maybe not too many are equipped to step in. I think Nagelsmann would make this team better than the sum of its parts. I think Poch would improve this side (but I'm not a huge fan).

I just think if Ole steps down or is sacked, there is no way he gets another top job in his career.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Regardless of how bad or good he is, if we don't make anymore signings then its the beginning of the end for him.

We have seen it often where the state of the club becomes such that there's nothing but stale negativity. Things become repetitive, there is no change in scenery, and things go from steady to bad to worse. It seems to me that we're heading towards a decline in Oles tenure if we take into account the last few performances of last season.

When we get to such a dark place then the only thing that can be done is the manager can be replaced and we start afresh. And I'm sure Ed would love that.

So, before we reach that place, we must sign players and im not sure that we will.

The question that needs to be asked is that if the glazers are going to keep holding back on in the transfer market, is ole the right choice of manager to work to a budget and able to get the most of a squad he has to work with?

The fact that fans say we need to throw big money at a centre back and a right winger for ole to get the team playing well tells me no he is not the right choice under such circumstances.
Any manager of Man Utd needs a right winger (which we haven’t had for about a decade). Valencia has one good season there, and a decent CB. Do you think someone else can come in and make Lindelof, Bailly, Jones and Rojo play well?

Those are glaring holes in the team no matter who is the manager. the manager whilst he can assist clearly in identifying targets can’t determine the price. A new manager can’t come in and pull out of his hat a £20m centre half and a £30m right winger to solve all our issues.

We have had 4 managers since Fergie, not one has been able to get in a right winger. Jose and LVG brought in Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof at massive expense who we are now saddled with. Clearly money needs to be spent in these two areas irrespective of who is in charge - that can’t be a criticism aimed at OGS.

AshRK

Said it when jose was sacked, it will give us temporary happiness and there will be breath of fresh air but the board will disappoint again. Ole has his flaws and honestly he has to improve on things if we are to become title contentders but no new manager (maybe bar klopp)can take us back to sir alex levels. The sole reason is because our board are inconsistent in backing the manager. I am not saying the board has not spent money, yes they have but you look at bruno's arrival. It was after losing and dropping silly points against burnley and getting knocked out againsy city that the board reacted. Same thing happening now, we may very well sign sancho but we are already playing catch up. Sometimes you need couple of statement signings to bring a breath of fresh air and new life to the side. We messed this time. I doubt a pep would tolerate such crap. Yes he might have taken us to 2nd and challenged for the title but long term he would have been frustrated and left. It's nothing but natural.

I bet poch will also be eventually frustrated working with these incompetent board. Guy like conte will not even want to work with Woodward and co. We as a club have already limited ourselves because we have Woodward running the show at the direction of glazers.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
People claiming that replacing with anyone but Pep or Klopp would be an instant failure is similar to saying replacing morons like Johnson and Trump with anyone but exalted figures from the past would be a certain failure.

It's not intelligent, it's not well-argued and it most certainly is not true.

Wilt

Well, I don't think Ole is a particularly good manager in any aspect, so I think a lot are better. But the United job is particularly punishing, so maybe not too many are equipped to step in. I think Nagelsmann would make this team better than the sum of its parts. I think Poch would improve this side (but I'm not a huge fan).

I just think if Ole steps down or is sacked, there is no way he gets another top job in his career.
QFT

He'sRaldo

Ole is like Lindelof and the board is like Maguire.

Maguire is hard to get rid of, so we invariably have to find a decent partner for him; and Lindelof is the one to fall victim to that. In the same way, the board/ Woodward is hard to target, so we need to find a manager that can succeed in spite of them. Which unfortunately isn't Ole.

In the same way that pointing the finger at Maguire will do no good since he's our captain and 80M undroppable signing, blaming the board is of no use as they will be there for the foreseeable. Our best bet for future success is to find a manager that hides their weaknesses.

We can't have both an average board and an average manager, the same way we can't have both Maguire and Lindelof.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
You misunderstand my point. I'm not talking about one off games where any one can beat anyone. I'm talking about our general play. We've had a few purple patches but those have been overshadowed by so many lacklustre and toothless performances that you have to wonder which team we really are which is why I said managers like Pep, Klopp and Conte would shake the shit out of this team to get the maximum out of the players they have at hand. Ole doesn't have that in his locker which is the reason he's going to fail as a top level manager.

AshRK

People claiming that replacing with anyone but Pep or Klopp would be an instant failure is similar to saying replacing morons like Johnson and Trump with anyone but exalted figures from the past would be a certain failure.

It's not intelligent, it's not well-argued and it most certainly is not true.
So you are saying ole is trump. What a stupid comparison. I am pretty sure guys like you would be Woodward apologists and will defend him to the core.

And also never said they will be instant failures but they will eventually be frustrated working in this model. Imagine sheikh mansour had said no to buying laporte because he had already spent 50 plus million on Stones or said no to Ederson because he had already splashed money on bravo.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Thanks for the reply. It’s nice to have a well reasoned debate.

It’s interesting if we compare Jose’s penultimate season, I think it was somewhat of a false position, as of course we never challenged, and our flaws came to the fore the next season.

If/ when OGS goes, he would leave far better foundations than Jose or LVG. He’s made decisions that will benefit the club in the long term. Whether that’s enough for short term success, I don’t know. We clearly need a couple more players, but I see progress in the mentality and identify if the team (if you ignore yesterday).

The next two weeks are important for OGS and the club.
In that case our third is also a false position as we could so easily have been 6th if Mourinho hadn't thrashed Leicester, he practically gave us UCL we couldn't even beat West Ham at home even though it was a match that decided a whole season

R'hllor

This has nothing to do with sacking Ole or not but from someone who wasnt even at the end of United fans mind, nobody ever mentioned him to there is no better manager out there but Klopp and Pep, you fecks are mental.

hobbers

Mourinho's second place was definitely a false position, but Ole's third place is even more of a false position given it took major injury crises at Spurs and Leicester, and a fecking global pandemic to come about, and but for the last day of the season we could have just as easily ended 5th or 6th.

But if you take our performances in that season for Jose and compare them to our performances under Ole... all that's happened is we've become much, much worse at getting wins against shit sides, especially at home. And much better at raising our game against the top six. We certainly haven't progressed as a well rounded team who is capable of competing for titles, of being competitive in the big games while also being able to break down low blocks at Old Trafford.

I'm sure the training ground was a much more relaxed and jovial place in February and at the start of post-lockdown football than any point under Mourinho, but pre-Bruno things were looking very dicey from every standpoint and we might be about to slip right back into that situation.

Jezpeza

Mourinho's second place was definitely a false position, but Ole's third place is even more of a false position given it took major injury crises at Spurs and Leicester, and a fecking global pandemic to come about, and but for the last day of the season we could have just as easily ended 5th or 6th.

But if you take our performances in that season for Jose and compare them to our performances under Ole... all that's happened is we've become much, much worse at getting wins against shit sides, especially at home. And much better at raising our game against the top six. We certainly haven't progressed as a well rounded team who is capable of competing for titles, of being competitive in the big games while also being able to break down low blocks at Old Trafford.

I'm sure the training ground was a much more relaxed and jovial place in February and at the start of post-lockdown football than any point under Mourinho, but pre-Bruno things were looking very dicey from every standpoint and we might be about to slip right back into that situation.
Post lockdown we trashed all the ‘shit’ teams. Fact is tv money has opened up the PL and teams that finish 12th now have players who can easily slot into the top sides in the league.

Yesterday was a poor performance. Its our punishment for trying to win the EL we didn't need to win, not having a good Or long enough pre season, one friendly, not being fit enough and not signing the players we need In time.

I also commend palaces game plan - soak up pressure, get the forwards to drop between the lines then turn and run at our centre backs who aren’t great in 1vs1 situations. Did it all night long. Lindelof at fault for all 3 goals, and this will be rinsed and repeated all season unless we sign a player to get next to Maguire.

UnofficialDevil

We couldn't even beat West Ham at home even though it was the game that decided the season, and that was with Pogba Bruno Greenwood Martial Maguire Martial Rashford etc, thats how good Ole is.

Mainoldo

Post lockdown we trashed all the ‘shit’ teams. Fact is tv money has opened up the PL and teams that finish 12th now have players who can easily slot into the top sides in the league.

Yesterday was a poor performance. Its our punishment for trying to win the EL we didn't need to win, not having a good Or long enough pre season, one friendly, not being fit enough and not signing the players we need In time.

I also commend palaces game plan - soak up pressure, get the forwards to drop between the lines then turn and run at our centre backs who aren’t great in 1vs1 situations. Did it all night long. Lindelof at fault for all 3 goals, and this will be rinsed and repeated all season unless we sign a player to get next to Maguire.
We’re in lockdown and people are talking about proper pre season like we missed out on our scheduled trip to Los Angeles.

hobbers

We trashed a few of them, namely Sheffield Bournemouth Villa and Brighton, no denying we continued the post-Bruno purple-patch for a while. But then we also dropped points at home to West Ham and Southampton... which really should have been the death blows in our comeback for a top four finish but for a whole lot of luck with other results.

The football we played was absolutely rank in the last few games of the season, particularly in those draws and in the cup defeats. Sure it might have been all from tiredness from fixture congestion, really a reflection on how weak our squad is, but maybe it was partly the Bruno effect wearing off. We won't know until Oct/Nov really, when fitness can definitely not be an excuse any more.

Jezpeza

We trashed a few of them, namely Sheffield Bournemouth Villa and Brighton, no denying we continued the post-Bruno purple-patch for a while. But then we also dropped points at home to West Ham and Southampton... which really should have been the death blows in our comeback for a top four finish but for a whole lot of luck with other results.
Southampton and West Ham both finished in good form tbh. West Ham beat chelsea

Mainoldo

No just several weeks of fitness and drills at the training ground
Okay. Is that why Southampton got destroyed today. They didn’t have enough weeks of fitness and drills?

It’s all excuses and quite frankly rubbish.

Jezpeza

And then lost at home to Burnley.. those type of comparisons are pointless. We had to beat west ham at home in the biggest game of the season with a full squad including Pogba Bruno Martial etc and couldn't even score one goal.
How is it pointless? Whats pointless is the posts saying we shouldn't have finished top 4. We did? Oh wait it was only because of a player signed by the manager. Managers Sign players to improve a team? Never ending roundabout of if and maybe arguments without any real substance.

Titanic shouldn’t have sunk. Hitler shouldn't have been the german Leader. Harold shouldn't have taken an arrow to the eye. All happened. Sack ole because he shouldn't have got top 4 but did. Laughable.

Jezpeza

Okay. Is that why Southampton got destroyed today. They didn’t have enough weeks of fitness and drills?

It’s all excuses and quite frankly rubbish.
They were beaten by a good team with an equally successful pre season in all likelihood. Next

giggs-beckham

Clueless
It's the in game management for me. He cant be blamed for lack of transfers, that's all on the owners, however he is unable to react during games and change the setup of the team. When we went 2-0 down yesterday we should have switched formation.
Exactly, and people think that signing Sancho will be the thing that solves so much! He will make a temporary difference, the manager has to change.

UnofficialDevil

How is it pointless? Whats pointless is the posts saying we shouldn't have finished top 4. We did? Oh wait it was only because of a player signed by the manager. Managers Sign players to improve a team? Never ending roundabout of if and maybe arguments without any real substance.

Titanic shouldn’t have sunk. Hitler shouldn't have been the german Leader. Harold shouldn't have taken an arrow to the eye. All happened. Sack ole because he shouldn't have got top 4 but did. Laughable.
Nah it was because Mourinho thrashed Leicester and gave us the UCL spot

Mainoldo

They were beaten by a good team with an equally successful pre season in all likelihood. Next
So even with a good pre-season you can get thumped by 5. But us without a preseason only got thumped by 3.

But if we had a pre season we probably could have got thumped by 5 because the other team might have been a very good team. But must importantly had a good pre season. So either way we’re we damned if we did or didn’t have a good pre season? :lol: :lol:

Stupid post.

Mainoldo

Exactly, and people think that signing Sancho will be the thing that solves so much! He will make a temporary difference, the manager has to change.
I told people Sancho wouldn’t make a difference. They don’t want to listen.

Jezpeza

So even with a good pre-season you can get thumped by 5. But us without a preseason only got thumped by 3.

But if we had a pre season we probably could have got thumped by 5 because the other team might have been a very good team. But must importantly had a good pre season. So either way we’re we damned if we did or didn’t have a good pre season? :lol: :lol:

Stupid post.
No because we are a better team than soton. And we fell foul of a palace game plan. You ought to read entire posts Rather than pick at one point. But i guess you are one of these avid Ole out guys who just loves to come and whine every time we lose Who magically went missing until the sevilla game.

I’d suggest to Email woody, i’m sure he gives a toss about your opinion.

humiliated

You misunderstand my point. I'm not talking about one off games where any one can beat anyone. I'm talking about our general play. We've had a few purple patches but those have been overshadowed by so many lacklustre and toothless performances that you have to wonder which team we really are which is why I said managers like Pep, Klopp and Conte would shake the shit out of this team to get the maximum out of the players they have at hand. Ole doesn't have that in his locker which is the reason he's going to fail as a top level manager.
We all love him but way out of his depth. Max Allegri took a 12 month sabbatical ( and hired an English tutor immediately ) explains his career ambitions.
One of the top Club Managers on the planet. Sorry Ole, time to go !

Mainoldo

No because we are a better team than soton. And we fell foul of a palace game plan. You ought to read entire posts Rather than pick at one point. But i guess you are one of these avid Ole out guys who just loves to come and whine every time we lose Who magically went missing until the sevilla game.

I’d suggest to Email woody, i’m sure he gives a toss about your opinion.
We didn’t look like a better team than Southampton when they played us off the park a month ago. But you’ll probably tell me we was tired.

So just so I know about this fitness thing. Do we do more drills when players are tired? Or do they require more rest? If it’s the latter should our players having more rest than the rest of the league benefit us?

Do your research on this thread. I never go missing ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.