Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

Nobody mentioned that when Fellaini was sold week before, it was Ole at the wheel, he knows whats United all about and Fellaini represents JM anti United way or when Ole was talking about pre-season, so lets stop with that nonsense and hiding behind caretaker position. Regarding players entering their final year, it was slam dunk for us to get rid of Jones, if Ole didnt want to see his contract extended, guess he would say so and if he did say and they offered him new contract against his advise/wish anyway, then oh boy. Also Jones was playing a bit that season if i remember correctly so its not like he was training with U12.
Did I mention Fellaini?

I'm not even sure what your point is here at all.

I'm saying it's not as simple as a manager saying don't renew this player and the club saying grand and letting him leave on a free. I don't think thats the way these conversations go.

Do you not think that even if a player isn't in a manager's plans, a decision might be made in conjunction with the board and everyone else involved in transfers that his contract should be renewed?

el3mel

Civil war amongst fans, the glazers are getting what they want. It’s sad, the ole in fans can’t see the truth about ole and his limitations and the ole out fans (including me) have to be realistic, how far can the best manager take this squad? There are a couple of ole in fans who are defending the indefensible with inane comments and the ole out fans who need to understand what the options are and maybe ole is the best option at the moment..... let’s leave this thread alone for four weeks and catch up again
Civil War? Not close. Check Mourinho's last few days here. That was a proper Civil War.

Withnail

Quite sure it was reported that Ole was heavily consulted on transfers and general player related activities whilst being a caretaker manager.
In that case you'd have to wonder if they seriously considered bringing another manager that Summer at all.

Or it just shows that they are so clueless on the football side they require massive input on transfers from someone who was supposed to swan off after a few months.

BR7

Civil War? Not close. Check Mourinho's last few days here. That was a proper Civil War.
Mourinho should never have been here, the insult and disrespect he showed SAF while Porto manager was too much. He doesn’t even count in my head, no one should have liked him IMO ...

el3mel

Mourinho should never have been here, the insult and disrespect he showed SAF while Porto manager was too much. He doesn’t even count in my head, no one should have liked him IMO ...
That's out of the point though. You're saying that Glazers succeeded in what they wanted with civil war among fans. There has been civil war among fans for as long as I can remember, and this forum was in a proper war in last Mourinho's days. Glazers have nothing to do with it. Caf is a forum in which almost everyone hates each other.

JohnnyLaw

You don’t take off your most productive player though. If it’s tactical reasons then it should have been Pogba and not Fernandes that came off. Pogba still doesn’t look anywhere close to being fit, which is understandable. So why did he stay on? None of it makes sense.

On a side note, the red card had absolutely nothing to do with that performance. We were Lucky not to concede 7 or 8 against Brighton the week before with 11 players on the pitch.

Solskjaer gets the plaudits when results are good. So he should be equally responsible when performances are bad.
We were 4-1 down and one man down when Bruno went off, the game was dead and buried and left to damage control. There’s been talk that Bruno had a fit at HT so there could very well be reasons beyond football as to why he was hooked instead of Pogba.

It’s the same thing though, Brighton are a well coached team who are also far ahead in terms of fitness, we still managed to score three goals and win the game.

I’ll hold Solkjaer accountable when he’s not so obviously hamstrung by circumstances beyobd his control.

el3mel

We were 4-1 down and one man down when Bruno went off, the game was dead and buried and left to damage control. There’s been talk that Bruno had a fit at HT so there could very well be reasons beyond football as to why he was hooked instead of Pogba.

It’s the same thing though, Brighton are a well coached team who are also far ahead in terms of fitness, we still managed to score three goals and win the game.

I’ll hold Solkjaer accountable when he’s not so obviously hamstrung by circumstances beyobd his control.
So we threw games off now when we're losing 4-1 ? The league has seen crazier comebacks. There's no reason to threw the towel when there's still 45 minutes to play.

Circumstances ? Each and every manager in football history had to deal with unfavorable circumstances in many matches, injuries, exhaustion, red cards..etc. There's no manager who's just judged when the stars are aligned for him to produce and everything else is discarded.

BR7

That's out of the point though. You're saying that Glazers succeeded in what they wanted with civil war among fans. There has been civil war among fans for as long as I can remember, and this forum was in a proper war in last Mourinho's days. Glazers have nothing to do with it. Caf is a forum in which almost everyone hates each other.
[/
It’s a shame But I think it comes down to the individual. Some people are never wrong

JohnnyLaw

So we threw games off now when we're losing 4-1 ? The league has seen crazier comebacks. There's no reason to threw the towel when there's still 45 minutes to play.

Circumstances ? Each and every manager in football history had to deal with unfavorable circumstances in many matches, injuries, exhaustion, red cards..etc. There's no manager who's just judged when the stars are aligned for him to produce and everything else is discarded.
That’s such a naive and unfair expectation. I seriously doubt there’s been any examples of such comebacks but feel free to list some examples.

These circumstances are unprecedented in modern football, I don’t think it’s healthy to make drastic decisions at points like these and discard all the progress we’ve made under Ole. I understand of course that a decision, fair or not, will have to be made if results don’t pick up soon. With the fixture list being what it is though I can easily see Ole sacked within a near future, especially with a manager like Pochettino in the wings. It would be unfortunate for Ole though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
At what point do up and coming top managers around Europe look at Woodward, the Glazers etc and think 'that's not for me' ??? I think we are getting there ever so slowly.

Poch or Nagelsmann would be nuts to come and work under this board. It's just never going to work for anyone because these gobsh!tes don't have a clue what they're doing.

el3mel

That’s such a naive and unfair expectation. I seriously doubt there’s been any examples of such comebacks but feel free to list some examples.

These circumstances are unprecedented in modern football, I don’t think it’s healthy to make drastic decisions at points like these and discard all the progress we’ve made under Ole. I understand of course that a decision, fair or not, will have to be made if results don’t pick up soon. With the fixture list being what it is though I can easily see Ole sacked within a near future, especially with a manager like Pochettino in the wings. It would be unfortunate for Ole though.
No one was expecting a comeback to definitely happen but at the same the league has seen crazy results and comebacks before so you should never threw your towel off midway in the match. 3 goals down, there's 1 out of 10 chances you can make a comeback and as a big team you should fight for this one chance not throw the towel off !! What kind of mentality is that ?

The COVID issue is on all the teams not us alone. Things like fitness, injuries, red cards, lucky goals conceded, pretty much every single manager has dealt with such circumstances in his career in several matches. No single manager has had a fully fit team in a full season before. Previously managers used to be judged by how they deal with such unfortunate circumstances and not just when every thing is going great.

While I'm not asking for him to be sacked immediately now, and I actually, believe me or not, strongly believe we'll finish top 4 at the end due to the quality of the team in general, the problem with Ole is I can't see him getting the team any further forward than just top 4 finish and a lucky domestic cup win here and there. He hasn't shown anything in the 3 semi finals we saw last season to prove otherwise to be honest. At point we'll think that top 4 isn't enough anymore and we want to win something big ?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
So if we sacked Woodward, Ole would win us the league? Trying to see through the logic of some posters here.
Ole is only there because Woodward and the Glazers need a club legend to absorb the flack while they rip off the club. Expect Hughes or Giggs as replacement

Idxomer

Ole is only there because Woodward and the Glazers need a club legend to absorb the flack while they rip off the club. Expect Hughes or Giggs as replacement
No, they won't even be on the club's list.

glazed

Giggs was probably on the cards at one point, not anymore. They'll go for a safer choice next, Pochettino or Allegri.
Are they safe choices though? Both will demand big budgets and Poch will want to dump quite a few players who don't press - like DdG for one. All in the interests of chasing the title, which Glazers don't care about.

Idxomer

Are they safe choices though? Both will demand big budgets and Poch will want to dump quite a few players who don't press - like DdG for one. All in the interests of chasing the title, which Glazers don't care about.
I think the board lets the managers do what they want with the squad and give them a lot of control and money in their 1st season which isn't necessarily right.

Remember LVG absolutely butchering the squad in his two seasons that he had to promote Rashford when he had no senior strikers in his 2nd season, same happened at left-back. Mourinho was allowed the same and he should've gotten rid of more tbh when he had the chance. Ole also got rid of a lot of players who were very loyal to Mourinho, he would've done the same with Matic too but he was desperate and his hand got forced a bit with the injures in midfield.

JohnnyLaw

No one was expecting a comeback to definitely happen but at the same the league has seen crazy results and comebacks before so you should never threw your towel off midway in the match. 3 goals down, there's 1 out of 10 chances you can make a comeback and as a big team you should fight for this one chance not throw the towel off !! What kind of mentality is that ?

The COVID issue is on all the teams not us alone. Things like fitness, injuries, red cards, lucky goals conceded, pretty much every single manager has dealt with such circumstances in his career in several matches. No single manager has had a fully fit team in a full season before. Previously managers used to be judged by how they deal with such unfortunate circumstances and not just when every thing is going great.

While I'm not asking for him to be sacked immediately now, and I actually, believe me or not, strongly believe we'll finish top 4 at the end due to the quality of the team in general, the problem with Ole is I can't see him getting the team any further forward than just top 4 finish and a lucky domestic cup win here and there. He hasn't shown anything in the 3 semi finals we saw last season to prove otherwise to be honest. At point we'll think that top 4 isn't enough anymore and we want to win something big ?
We had Rashford, Greenwood and Pogba left to try and make something happen, any manager worth their salt would’ve made sacrifices in the position Ole was put in. I find your willingness to even argue this quite ridiculous to be honest. It’s all moot anyway if, as I said to the other poster, Bruno was taken off for stepping out of line in the dressing room.

We had our first and only preseason game on the same day the league kicked-off for fecks sake. Most of the other teams had been in training for close to a month and played several preseason games to achieve match fitness. Their preseason began just a couple of days after we finished off our last season against Sevilla on the 16th most of them having had a month of rest before that.

I completely accept that there will most likely come a time where Ole just won’t be enough for us anymore and it might come sooner rather than later but I very much appreciate the progress we’ve made under him and continue to hope that he can surprise everyone and be successful with us in the long term.
To lose all three Semi-finals the way we did last year was of course disappointing but at the same time as the season unraveled 3 semi-finals and a top 3 finish looked like good progress to me. We looked too lightweight in those games which perhaps can be expected considering we had one of the youngest squads around.
I’m NOT saying that Ole is in any way shape or form as good or even close to someone like Klopp, but even he losed something like three straight finals before the CL win in his third season.

glazed

I think the board lets the managers do what they want with the squad and give them a lot of control and money in their 1st season which isn't necessarily right.
Interesting point. But a lot and enough money won't be the same thing. The kind of rebuilding Poch would want is quite costly and not just one year or even two

Untd55

No matter what side of the fence you are on, there is one massive thing that cannot be argued against: Solskjaer cannot maintain a run of form without it turning abysmal.

First Season: After PSG, we were on a shocking run of form and play.
Second Season: This poor run of form continued throughout the first half of the season.
Third Season: This season's start has been absolutely abysmal, even worse than the last.

The team under Solskjaer doesn't drop in form or just become bad; it actually becomes awful. As in, the worst periods Manutd have had in Premier League history bad. Solskjaer does outdo himself in these periods, there is no doubt about it, breaking records right, left, and centre.

Foxbatt

He is either very good in beating top teams or terrible in losing to low table teams. It a bit like a yo-yo.
I don't think he knows how to get them play the best way to get the best use out of them.

Zimkid

I now call Ole: Captain Obvious.
The opposition find it very easy to predict his formation, lineup and what changes he is going to make. Same old tactic and line up for all games. Right when you think he is going to switch things up; no "Carrick, bring me last week's starting lineup". We will do it again. I remember Sir Alex wasn't this predictable. In fact, I remember he would put in a player that you figured was not good enough and that player would wow everyone on the day. Off course it didn't always work, but Ole's instance on one lineup and tactics baffles me. He will only changes when he is certain it's no longer working. Is it only me who sees this Captain Obvious phenomenon?

jamesjimmybyrondean

A iron fist ? Two of the toughest coaches who are renowned for exactly that . It's been proven a iron fist doesn't work .
I didn't just say iron fist did I? I said we also need a coach that knows how to motivate players on a consistent basis. Barely played like we were motivated under LVG and Mourinho did the opposite of motivating players

Foxbatt

I didn't just say iron fist did I? I said we also need a coach that knows how to motivate players on a consistent basis. Barely played like we were motivated under LVG and Mourinho did the opposite of motivating players
Jose did win trophies and yet let himself be self destructed in his third season. We may come to know it later what exactly went on behind the scenes at United. He is a much better manager tactically than what happened in his third season. Maybe it was Pogba or something else we do not know at this moment in time.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Jose did win trophies and yet let himself be self destructed in his third season. We may come to know it later what exactly went on behind the scenes at United. He is a much better manager tactically than what happened in his third season. Maybe it was Pogba or something else we do not know at this moment in time.
You're right. Jose could motivate his players but only did that for 2 seasons which is when we won trophies and came second which was my initial point.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ole talks up how he wants us to play high press and fast transitions and to be the fittest team in the league. The fact that I barely see this come to life on the pitch is evidence we are poorly coached

Mainoldo

Ole talks up how he wants us to play high press and fast transitions and to be the fittest team in the league. The fact that I barely see this come to life on the pitch is evidence we are poorly coached
The real question is. When did you come to the realisation of this?

I did when we lost 5-0 to Everton and then to Huddersfield and then to Cardiff.. After that ending of the season he was alway destined to fail. But yet we quick to accept his mini bounces instead of looking at his magnificent lows.

TsuWave

Pogba & Bruno with a hand in goals. VDB on the scoresheet and Bailly MOTM. Interesting. We’ll see what we look like this weekend.

Micky Targaryen

Really love the "We tried world class, impressive CV coaches already and we know it doesn't work" narrative.

Sure, by all means, we tried to use PHD professors to educate a bunch of people and they still don't seem to get it, let's hire a kindergarten teacher instead.

padzilla

Hipster
Appointing Ole as coach was a masterstroke in fan manipulation by the Glazers. The club could be relegated and there is still a large section of the fans who wouldn't say Ole was not good enough. The sad reality is I can't think of any other club in the PL who would appoint him as manager and it's even debatable there are many clubs in the Championship who would either. The only issue for me is replacing him with the right person, they should be looking at appointing a promising up and coming coach like Hassenhuttl or Nagelsmann but will end up giving it to David May because the fans liked to sing his name.

Gasolin

We needed to, we couldn't come back because we are not even prepared properly fitness wise, it's an impossible task. We have done come backs with Ole, it has happened, so it's not that we can't do it. But we are not well prepared right now, for whatever reasons, but our preseason has been awful.

We have to hope that the games + the international games have provided our players some sort of match fitness. I think Bruno was left out because he is the most vulnerable to match fitness and he was almost burning out last season as well, so we needed him more than Pogba, who also needed games to be match fit, but was also a bit more physical.

Let's hope that this time, match fitness is less of an issue.

SteveW

I really don't get how this is still even a question after him meeting his targets last season. We made good progress.

Two defeats in one of the strangest early seasons in history doesn't change that.

Calm down and let him get on with his job.

Wilt

Appointing Ole as coach was a masterstroke in fan manipulation by the Glazers. The club could be relegated and there is still a large section of the fans who wouldn't say Ole was not good enough. The sad reality is I can't think of any other club in the PL who would appoint him as manager and it's even debatable there are many clubs in the Championship who would either.
QFT

Withnail

Appointing Ole as coach was a masterstroke in fan manipulation by the Glazers. The club could be relegated and there is still a large section of the fans who wouldn't say Ole was not good enough. The sad reality is I can't think of any other club in the PL who would appoint him as manager and it's even debatable there are many clubs in the Championship who would either. The only issue for me is replacing him with the right person, they should be looking at appointing a promising up and coming coach like Hassenhuttl or Nagelsmann but will end up giving it to David May because the fans liked to sing his name.
That's a pretty outrageous claim :lol:

Are you feeling ok?

jamesjimmybyrondean

Any predictions for the next excuse? The aim is top 4 and we have the team to get it. Excuses like he has Lingard and Pereira as AMs or no preseason or no quality squad depth are all as of now out the window. Wonder what the next one will be

Mainoldo

Any predictions for the next excuse? The aim is top 4 and we have the team to get it. Excuses like he has Lingard and Pereira as AMs or no preseason or no quality squad depth are all as of now out the window. Wonder what the next one will be
He had a fallout with Bruno and now he’s downtoolsed. So he needs a new AM. Donny was brought in for Pogba so that can’t work. He needs Maddison to succeed.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How about your excuses when he gets top 4?

After all, you guys are the ones who're coming up with excuses after we finished 3rd last season

jamesjimmybyrondean

How about your excuses when he gets top 4?

After all, you guys are the ones who're coming up with excuses after we finished 3rd last season
I'd be happy if he finished top 4. My best scenario is for Ole to get top 4 this season which will allow him to finish his three year contract the next season and then he leaves without his image tainted

Status
Not open for further replies.