Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

No manager will solve the problem if keep sacking managers. The players are to blame. They did the same to Mourinho, now the same to Ole. This showed they are bigger than the manager which is something that never happened during Fergie. The team showed they are capable of winning 8 games in a trot last season. There is only one explanation for the current results.They want Ole out.
Why do you believe Ole is the man to take us forward?

Eric7C

Points aside, those GDs of Liverpool and City really accentuate the quality gap with the rest of league. Like I wasn’t worried enough...
We've scored only three more goals than Liverpool have conceded :eek:

hn4manunited

No manager will solve the problem if keep sacking managers. The players are to blame. They did the same to Mourinho, now the same to Ole. This showed they are bigger than the manager which is something that never happened during Fergie. The team showed they are capable of winning 8 games in a trot last season. There is only one explanation for the current results.They want Ole out.
This was part of what Jose was trying to expose.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Not really, Giggs being Wales manager recommended James to Solskjaer, Mourinho wanted Maguire last summer & Wan-Bissaka had an extremely good previous season where we needed Young replaced. Solskjaer wants to have a policy of young British players but the actual players weren't really surprising apart from James.

Woodward makes the decision on renewals. Solskjaer wanted to keep Herrera (he was a key starter under him) and he too wanted to stay, but Woodward has a moronic practice of delaying the contract renewals for even important players. We've had a lot of players contracts almost expiring at the same time recently.

He said this about Solskjaer:

He let Herrera's contract run down to the last year, leaving him hanging, but renewed Jones, Smalling & Young to lucrative contracts in the meantime. He then made a last minute offer (few months before January I think) to Herrera to avoid losing him for free, but Herrera felt disrespected by this offer so it must have been a derisory offer. So Herrera decided to leave and signed a pre-contract with PSG in the January.

Solskjaer was fine with Lukaku leaving though. Lukaku wanted to leave too. Solskjaer did defiantly declare before the summer that, anyone leaving would have to be replaced. But we weren't linked to anyone credibly during it. The only midfielder we were linked to was Sean Longstaff (who?). Yet Fellaini & Herrera had already left & Matic was regarded as finished all in the same year, which was insane.

Juve offered us the chance to sign Mandzukic through the Lukaku deal but we declined, he was overpriced apparently.

Solskjaer put a brave face on in pre-season and said he was happy with the youth replacing them but I don't think he had much of a choice. We've had approx. £50m net spends over the past 2 summers so the Lukaku deal was Woodward's way to recoup funds.

To sum up:

Solskjaer's list of targets was likely unimaginative and he definately underestimated the quality of the squad (for that he should fall on his sword), but Woodward has a big role to play in the incompetent planning too.

We've been run as a financial enterprise and not as a football team for years now. The team has been left to rot for a long time. This year is the perfect storm and result of years of neglect and due care to the football side.
Thanks for that nice summary.
Yes, it seems that lately you are a little stingy. As you say it seems that the owners are not the best. I was struck by a thread from some a few weeks ago, a comparison about the fate of the American teams owned by United and Liverpool.
To be honest I wouldn´t have renewed Herrera, he is not good enough to pay him what PSG offered but spend 20, 30 million euros, or even a loan would have been great.
Still in the keep Ole camp, and there's nothing the spoilt little Princesses on here can say to make me change my mind.

This place takes embarrassing to a different level at times.
What would be your point of no return to stop supporting him? Would you give him all season even if you are 12th in March?

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
How are people spoiled for simply saying a man isn't cut out for the job? It's just a fact.

I suggest fans that feel that way do a bit of research on the first few years of Sir Matt and SAF, and they'd probably say the same about those two greats - SAF deserved the extra time he was given because of his pedigree(albeit in Scotland), but Sir Matt was a novice.

What does that even mean? You're not thinking rationally. The table wasn't shown to wank off Liverpool. It was to show reality about how we've done for a long time.
I know why it was shown, i'm not that bloody stupid, but being the size of a friggin house Liverpool is the first thing that hits you.

Class of 63

Sourness
There must be a misunderstanding then.

Where I'm coming from is, Woodward runs down everyone's contract, he's the one deciding that isn't he? Woodward was the key reason in Herrera leaving. Solskjaer came in the December & he wanted to keep him but the damage was already done by then.

After that, came the Smalling, Young & Jones contracts, if you're asking me if I believed Ole wanted them to stay, then yes i do (for that he deserves all the criticism) but it's a bit deeper than that isn't it?

We know Woodward likes to renew existing contracts instead of replacing them as it's cheaper. No doubt he would have had a hand in their renewals too.

What do you disagree on?
The Manager in situ dictates who get's a new contract, and who doesn't, Ed or whoever the CEO/Chairman has very little or no say in it, same as it ever was.

Class of 63

Sourness
What would be your point of no return to stop supporting him? Would you give him all season even if you are 12th in March?
If we are still in two of the cups(Europa League and FA Cup preferably)yeah i'd still back him, even if we were only a point above the relegation zone I would.

I think he'll walk before he get's pushed anyway, if things got that bad, he's a proud man.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why should we do this?
We don't know how Ole would perform or who his team would be, why not?

I get that some of you have lost all faith in Ole and anything even slightly related to him, I just tend to think he's lacking in some aspects (tactical, recting to the game, subs, etc...).
Which is why I'm not adverse to keeping him around for the things he got right, and getting a coach/manager...

So not should, could.

Bojan11

I get that some of you have lost all faith in Ole and anything even slightly related to him, I just tend to think he's lacking in some aspects (tactical, recting to the game, subs, etc...).
Which is why I'm not adverse to keeping him around for the things he got right, and getting a coach/manager...

So not should, could.
It’s not really a big thing identifying one of the best right back in the league for £50m or a centre back Jose wanted for £80m. The way some are going he’s found some few gems for a few million. Like he’s found Vidic for £7m or something.

1878united

Don‘t sack.
What‘s a proper alternative right now? Nothing really. We badly need changes at other levels in the club, that‘s it..

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Feck...i cant make up my mind, i've backed him, but said yesterday i want him sacked, but after a good nights sleep and some thinking i am unsure. On the one hand, everyone and his dog can see that we are beyond shite, the worst we have been since Fergie, but will a new manager really make that much of a difference?

Sack:
  • Bad results
  • Shite attacking play, create very little and when we do create we fail to score
  • Few signs of progress, in fact we seem to have regressed overall
  • Positivity is fine, but some honesty in the post match interviews would be good now. Stop saying "the lads worked hard" ffs. They need the hairdryer
  • No room for sentiment in top level football. Cant me a manager just because he played for us
  • Sticking with tactics and players that are clearly not working. 4231, Rashford at CF, Lingaard at #10 etc have looked awful since day 1. Stop it FFS!
Keep:
  • His three transfers have been our best players this season
  • Injures...why so many damn injuries? What is our medical/fitness personnel doing?
  • Squad is shite. There is no if's and but's about it. They are shite, probably the worst in 30 years. Defense is looking decent, but with Pogba and Martial out, the team we fielded yesterday is seriously Championship quality in MF/attack
  • Had this been 2013, i would have wanted him gone a long time ago, but hes now the fourth manager in a row that has failed under Ed's watch, among the one of the most successful managers alive. Its clear the problems run much deeper than simply the manager
  • Our defensive record is actually really, really good. Only Liverpool have conceded less, so if we actually remember how to score, then many of those losses will suddenly turn into wins since we are surprisingly solid in the back
  • Just sacking him with no plan is senseless. I know watching us right now is painful, but knee jerk reactions is the last thing we need right now.
Unsure who's fault it is:
  • Selling Lukaku and not replacing him was criminal. Was Ole truly happy with his options or was this yet another case of Woody faffing about?
  • Players fecking up the most basic stuff like controlling a ball or making a 5 yard pass. Granted we dont look like a well drilled side, but this is schoolyard stuff.
  • We are utterly clueless in attack. Amateur stuff game in and game out. Clearly the coaches and Ole have some responsibility but this is not FIFA eiter, they cant control the players from the sidelines and we are failing at the most basic stuff. We cross to no one again and again because our attacking players cant be bothered to make a decent run, there is zero movement when we have the ball, so we end up shifting it sideways again and again.
  • Something is seriously fecking wrong with our players mentality/morale/confidence. Granted that Jose was toxic, but these players were more than happy to down tools and throw him under the bus. Then Ole came in and the played with the heart on their sleeves and then we reverted back to being fannies and now its worse than ever. Is it a case of wrong managers who cant motivate them or is it a case of toxic dressing room culture that needs to be removed root and stem?
I dont think Ole is enjoying this at all. He looks about 10 years older already, he loves the club and he has more than enough money. If he truly felt like this was a hopeless project he would have stepped down. He said in some interview that this was a long haul project and that he is "building a new culture at OT", might just be empty words, but at the same time he might have a plan

Pochettino has been the #1 candidate for a long time, but he seems to have lost the plot completely. If he had kept Spurs playing the way he did last year i would have wanted him in a heartbeat, but do we really want to replace a struggling manager with another one? Allegri is a "free agent", but would he want the job and more importantly, would he want to be tied down for a long rebuild?

Sorry for the rant, but i cant make my mind up.

Kemizee

So not should, could.
I want to assume you referring to shipping out deadwood and buying AWB, James and Maguire. Does it really take any special skills to ship out players literally everyone in the cafe wanted out and as for the purchases, apart from James (recommend by Giggs), anyone, I mean anyone would have bought the other two as they were prominent buys and not 'unearthed' ones.

If we do sack Ole and want to employ a DOF, we need to do the right thing and get a proper one. We have been run into the ground by these sentimental appointments. We need to fix it. Ole is not a DOF. He has been managing for 10+ years now and yet you still have people wondering if he is even a manager in the first place let alone DOF for which he has no experience at all.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It’s not really a big thing identifying one of the best right back in the league for £50m or a centre back Jose wanted for £80m. The way some are going he’s found some few gems for a few million. Like he’s found Vidic for £7m or something.
Does AWB/Maguire/James really all that???

They're made better looking because we're so bad, if this is the grand ol United team they'd just a decent buy, nothing less nothing more.

Maguire last nite doesn't look like an 80M pounds Defender, he can't even keep Newcastle at bay, even if it's not his fault, you'd think if he's that good he'll have more presence in the match. James was blowing hot and cold, and now revert to a very mediocre footballer who can't made anything happened against the mighty magpies

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Feck...i cant make up my mind, i've backed him, but said yesterday i want him sacked, but after a good nights sleep and some thinking i am unsure. On the one hand, everyone and his dog can see that we are beyond shite, the worst we have been since Fergie, but will a new manager really make that much of a difference?

Sack:
  • Bad results
  • Shite attacking play, create very little and when we do create we fail to score
  • Few signs of progress, in fact we seem to have regressed overall
  • Positivity is fine, but some honesty in the post match interviews would be good now. Stop saying "the lads worked hard" ffs. They need the hairdryer
  • No room for sentiment in top level football. Cant me a manager just because he played for us
  • Sticking with tactics and players that are clearly not working. 4231, Rashford at CF, Lingaard at #10 etc have looked awful since day 1. Stop it FFS!
Keep:
  • His three transfers have been our best players this season
  • Injures...why so many damn injuries? What is our medical/fitness personnel doing?
  • Squad is shite. There is no if's and but's about it. They are shite, probably the worst in 30 years. Defense is looking decent, but with Pogba and Martial out, the team we fielded yesterday is seriously Championship quality in MF/attack
  • Had this been 2013, i would have wanted him gone a long time ago, but hes now the fourth manager in a row that has failed under Ed's watch, among the one of the most successful managers alive. Its clear the problems run much deeper than simply the manager
  • Our defensive record is actually really, really good. Only Liverpool have conceded less, so if we actually remember how to score, then many of those losses will suddenly turn into wins since we are surprisingly solid in the back
  • Just sacking him with no plan is senseless. I know watching us right now is painful, but knee jerk reactions is the last thing we need right now.
Unsure who's fault it is:
  • Selling Lukaku and not replacing him was criminal. Was Ole truly happy with his options or was this yet another case of Woody faffing about?
  • Players fecking up the most basic stuff like controlling a ball or making a 5 yard pass. Granted we dont look like a well drilled side, but this is schoolyard stuff.
  • We are utterly clueless in attack. Amateur stuff game in and game out. Clearly the coaches and Ole have some responsibility but this is not FIFA eiter, they cant control the players from the sidelines and we are failing at the most basic stuff. We cross to no one again and again because our attacking players cant be bothered to make a decent run, there is zero movement when we have the ball, so we end up shifting it sideways again and again.
  • Something is seriously fecking wrong with our players mentality/morale/confidence. Granted that Jose was toxic, but these players were more than happy to down tools and throw him under the bus. Then Ole came in and the played with the heart on their sleeves and then we reverted back to being fannies and now its worse than ever. Is it a case of wrong managers who cant motivate them or is it a case of toxic dressing room culture that needs to be removed root and stem?
I dont think Ole is enjoying this at all. He looks about 10 years older already, he loves the club and he has more than enough money. If he truly felt like this was a hopeless project he would have stepped down. He said in some interview that this was a long haul project and that he is "building a new culture at OT", might just be empty words, but at the same time he might have a plan

Pochettino has been the #1 candidate for a long time, but he seems to have lost the plot completely. If he had kept Spurs playing the way he did last year i would have wanted him in a heartbeat, but do we really want to replace a struggling manager with another one? Allegri is a "free agent", but would he want the job and more importantly, would he want to be tied down for a long rebuild?

Sorry for the rant, but i cant make my mind up.
Just replying on the bolded part, he failed big time on that. He fail to instil any sort of urgency towards our player, our player played as if they don't care. 0 shots on target against Alkmaar, any sort of players who cares would throw the kitchen sink, bombard them with shots "To the very least"

From what I've seen so far, our players don't give a feck, they don't care at all, they're resigned to the fate, we're not going down fighting and screaming, we're laying back help the oppo ram their cocks against arse by parting it (sorry for the spartacus joke), 1-0 against Newcastle and there's no urgency around 80th minute, there's no angry manager at the sideline, nothing.

Mick1

Feck off with your top red bollocks, i'm hurting as much as the next fan but i'm in control of my emotions, we are allowed to have shit periods you know, through thick and thin and all....
Ogs is the managerial equivalent of Lingard. Hope we have yet to see his Messi Lingard form.

Zed 101

The squad is the problem, our 1st eleven and bench (apart from James defense when fit) has no players that are worthy of their spots right now, and probably only Rashford, Martial and Pogba would even make the bench elsewhere... I like McT and Adreas but they are just not the grade, maybe someday but not yet

Skills

Snitch

So not should, could.
You mean his day to day job?

TheLord

No top manager is available at the moment, and that is assuming that any top manager would be interested in the chaos that is United these days.

I don't know if some of these merry-go-round average managers would do a better job than Ole at the moment. There's a serious possibility of firing Ole and firing another one before the summer. The playing squad is pathetic.

Ole has to go. There are no two ways about it. But unless the results hit rock-bottom in the next couple of weeks, I would start identifying one or two targets (the whole process can take several weeks to months), wait until around December and get the new man in a few weeks before the winter window opens.

When was the last time we fired two managers within the span of a single season?

Enigma_87

You know who
This guy is deluded, that guy is deluded.

Yeah, keep on labeling people deluded mate, hope that could ease your pain.
Keep living in your dream world and enjoy our game mate, you certainly deserve it. :)

Makaveli1

Ogs is the managerial equivalent of Lingard. Hope we have yet to see his Messi Lingard form.
we saw it when he first came in on that winning streak then like lingard nose dived off a cliff.

SmallCaine

No top manager is available at the moment, and that is assuming that any top manager would be interested in the chaos that is United these days.

I don't know if some of these merry-go-round average managers would do a better job than Ole at the moment. There's a serious possibility of firing Ole and firing another one before the summer. The playing squad is pathetic.

Ole has to go. There are no two ways about it. But unless the results hit rock-bottom in the next couple of weeks, I would start identifying one or two targets (the whole process can take several weeks to months), wait until around December and get the new man in a few weeks before the winter window opens.

When was the last time we fired two managers within the span of a single season?
We could do that or get a stop gap, someone like a wenger to come in right now, what you say makes sense but we are 5 behind points 4th and 7 behind 2nd, by december it might be too late. Sacking him and getting even a semi competent manager might salvage this season, given everyone barring liverpool are also having a poor season.

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
so we give a manager 5 years contract and sack him in few months, not even let him has time to change his team ?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What sort of motivation would a caretaker manager have to come here?

If they go on a 14 match win streak, the calls for them to get the job will be muted.

The more I think about it the more I think that the board are still of the mindset that they have already got a caretaker manager and as such these results are half expected. We’re just cruising along for a season trying to get this team of kids to gel before another manager will come in and have the squad and finances ready to make it his own.

koop

I still believe in him. Don't shoot me.

It's not fair to take this all out on Ole when you see the team we field. Unpopular opinion but even SAF would get dumpstered with the squad we have.
Our team is very very bad especially with Pogba and Martial out. I still think he needs couple more transfer windows to see what he can do.
Another unpopular opinion, we are playing better football in general than we were with Mourinho.

Jburton

It's not fair to take this all out on Ole when you see the team we field. Unpopular opinion but even SAF would get dumpstered with the squad we have.
Our team is very very bad especially with Pogba and Martial out. I still think he needs couple more transfer windows to see what he can do.
Another unpopular opinion, we are playing better football in general than we were with Mourinho.

I am in total agreement that Ole is not simply the problem and that the squad is mediocre at best.

The issues come from the very top and my long term hope is a new ownership that does use the club to make them money. I would settle at this time for a competent football man in charge of the ..... football and Ed being left to do what he does best, make money.

But let's be honest, Moyes and Mourhino are the only two managers we have actually hired in a proper sense. LVG was a "who is available" after ditching Moyes and Ole is a caretaker who got the full time job and shouldn't have.

Ole does not have the pedigree or the ability to manage this club and as it pertains to this moment, fight his way out of relegation.

More needs to happen than getting rid of Ole, that doesn't mean we shouldn't because of that fact.

b82REZ

Those defending him based on lack of signings, how do you explain Ole saying he was happy with the squad?

The ones who are saying there's no one to replace him, do you want him to continue until it's too late to turn around?

Spurs are in bad form but the gulf in class between Poch and Ole is huge. If Poch is available we need to go for him. He's shown he can work with limited squads and spending. Spurs form at the moment is the exception not the rule, whereas the opposite applies to Ole.

The guy is so far out of his depth its unreal. Love the player but he is not the man to take us forward.

b82REZ

That's on him though.

If finances were limited don't blow your whole budget on positions you are relatively well stocked while neglecting other areas.

There is no excuse for selling two strikers and midfielders and not replacing them.

Ole has to take the blame on that.

The board is incompetent, but so is the manager. We need someone in one of those positions who knows what they're doing and the reality is that will have to be the manager because no one is firing Woodward.

romufc

You're all heart. Offering a club legend a three year contract and sacking him two months into it?
Bit drastic don't you think? Give him the rest of the season.

Ferguson's first season Utd finished 11th, second season 2nd, third season 11th, fourth season 13th.

In that 89 / 90 season I was chanting for Ferguson to be sacked like everyone else here. Things currently don't look great, but there are no quick fixes. Ole deserves at least a full season.
Not drastic because you cannot relate a player being a player for us V management. He was a Manutd player on merit, that is why he was at United for a long time.

You cannot keep him a manager because he is a club legend.

Also, can we please stop making comparisons with Fergie ? That was then, football is ALOT different now.

Status
Not open for further replies.