Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

base615

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Voted keep.

Reason: I support Tottenham and we need all the help we can get.

el3mel

What - the challenge of actually winning something? No thanks, I don't want our club to be the experiment to see if Pochettino can actually have real success with a club as in titles and trophies.
Titles what titles? We are light years away from challenging for any big prizes. Our only chances will be the minor ones. We have bigger problems than winning titles ffs. We need a total rebuild and actual coaching to play football on the pitch. We are crap in just playing football and you are talking about titles?

At the moment we need a manager who can build a squad and coach proper football in players on training grounds. I don't know if Poch will win things here or not, but I'm sure he's capable of bother far more than, say, Allegri. I'm not a Poch fan boy and criticized him a lot previously but can't bring from my head the idea that he's the perfect manager for us currently.

Enigma_87

You know who
What - the challenge of actually winning something? No thanks, I don't want our club to be the experiment to see if Pochettino can actually have real success with a club as in titles and trophies.
And you want our club to be the experiment to see if Ole can take us down to the Championship? :lol:

ForeverUnited93

Ole is no good for a club our size, but our squad is so bad, you just wonder why the feck we let it get to this? Club has sat still and watched our demise to the point where relegation has entered the frame of mind, it’s seriously a possibility because the players we have aren’t that good, they’re mid/bottom table trash, apart from a selected few.

Enigma_87

You know who

130m is not 130m like 5 years ago.

You're also clueless.
Another deluded one. Yeah 130m is peanuts especially if you are living in Zimbabwe.

Keep up the faith till he puts us in relegation zone.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
A couple of questions..did Solskjaer decide / influence the signings of James, Wan-Bissaka and Maguire? Did he also decide not to sign substitutes for Lukaku and Herrera?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
This is the biggest issue I have as I think the club is rotten in terms of structure, owners and hierarchy, BUT if Ole was genuinely happy with this squad at the start of the season and that it was mostly his decision not to add one or two stop gap signings then I think you do have to question his judgement. The emphasis he's put on the young players to help this team get Top 4 has been counter productive and extremely unfair. Yes Greenwood has got the odd goal and he's a really exciting player but he often looks lost out there and we're sending him on to grab a goal in a premier league match. The same with Chong. Some of the young lads clearly aren't ready and to throw them into this mess is not right. Ole said in the summer that adding another striker would halt Greenwood's progress and now it seems he admits that we need to get someone in January. That's a big error in judgement.
I don't think Ole was all that happy with it to be honest, but he is in a very difficult situation. Pretty much the whole of the caf could see the squad was too thin before a game was played and if we all could, you can be sure Ole could too.

He clearly said that anyone that was sold would be replaced, they weren't apparently you were very close to signing Mandzukic but ran out of time, and will probably go back in for him in January (though I dont think he is the answer for you, but that's another thread) Ole clearly wanted another midfielder, most likely Longstaff and another forward in Sancho. The failure of these transfers is down to the board rather than Ole, they couldnt convince Sancho wouldn't pay up for Longstaff. But he couldn't make a fuss as he is in his "dream job" and knows his predecessor got sacked in part for fighting the board publicly. Ole is desperate for this too work.

That said, we've all seen managers in free fall before and I can't think of one I have ever seen recover once things have got into this rut, therefore sadly I think it is time for Ole to go, I don't think there's that much choice, I think the same for Poch too, but that's another story as well!

Enigma_87

You know who
A couple of questions..did Solskjaer decide / influence the signings of James, Wan-Bissaka and Maguire? Did he also decide not to sign substitutes for Lukaku and Herrera?
Depends on who are you asking.

If it is the keep camp - definitely signing James, AWB and Maguire is only down on him and he unearthed those guys. In relation to not sign replacements that is not on him but on the board, despite he himself claiming otherwise in interviews. :D
Basically it's not his fault the board did give an incompetent manager just 160m to play with and you can't fault him for pulling a Paul Jewell type of form because he wasn't properly backed, injuries came into play, luck and falling out with the tea lady.

ryansgirl

And you want our club to be the experiment to see if Ole can take us down to the Championship? :lol:
Better than getting a manager on a downward slide whose team let in 7 goals recently in Europe, who has managed to get a number of players offside and who looks less effectual and lacking the ability to take the teams he builds to the next level.

Ole knows United inside out and knows we need at least 4 new players, youth development and time to get Manchester United back to having an identity and a style.

Yes it is not great to watch at the moment with less talented players than Spurs and a coaching staff which needs a couple of them to go and an injection of contemporary-minded coaches plus constant injuries but Pochettino is messing up with much more.

Stupid is as stupid does and despite our board's/owners' lack of vision, they are not stupid enough to bring in Pochettino as Ole's replacement nor give any credence to supporters wanting such an idiotic thing.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Who knows for sure, but reading between the lines and listening to trusted journos it seems.

Lukaku - was sold as Ole didnt see him fitting in and board could see they could get their money back (they wouldn't have sold if Inter hadn't upped their bid) but Ole wanted a replacement signed, that didnt happen and is probably on the board for not getting it done in time.

Herrera - on the board, they wouldnt offer the wages he wanted, you could argue that they were right to stand firm but I think this was your biggest loss over the summer.

As for the signings yes Ole certainly seems to have had quite a big say in who he wanted to bring in

Enigma_87

You know who
Better than getting a manager on a downward slide whose team let in 7 goals recently in Europe, who has managed to get a number of players offside and who looks less effectual and lacking the ability to take the teams he builds to the next level.

Ole knows United inside out and knows we need at least 4 new players, youth development and time to get Manchester United back to having an identity and a style.

Yes it is not great to watch at the moment with less talented players than Spurs and a coaching staff which needs a couple of them to go and an injection of contemporary-minded coaches plus constant injuries but Pochettino is messing up with much more.

Stupid is as stupid does and despite our board's/owners' lack of vision, they are not stupid enough to bring in Pochettino as Ole's replacement nor give any credence to supporters wanting such an idiotic thing.
If Poch is on a downward slide I'm not sure what you can call Ole. He is on a downward slide since 7-8 years and has the experience of relegating a team before.

Ole is quickly becoming the worst appointment in PL history and you want to keep him because of no real basis whatsoever he can turn things around?

He knows the club inside out? Quinton Fortune knows the club inside out, do you want him as our next manager?

He has been for about a year here and still you can't identify a style rather than kick and run and you hope if he buys 4 more players you will get one? Based on what? Relegating Cardiff?

Even they binned him and we still have some fans with their head in the sand not seeing the same picture :lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

After the defeat to Liverpool, Woodward should sack him.

He is the worst manager in the league.

Worst manager we've had post SAF.

ryansgirl

Titles what titles? We are light years away from challenging for any big prizes. Our only chances will be the minor ones. We have bigger problems than winning titles ffs. We need a total rebuild and actual coaching to play football on the pitch. We are crap in just playing football and you are talking about titles?

At the moment we need a manager who can build a squad and coach proper football in players on training grounds. I don't know if Poch will win things here or not, but I'm sure he's capable of bother far more than, say, Allegri. I'm not a Poch fan boy and criticized him a lot previously but can't bring from my head the idea that he's the perfect manager for us currently.
Pochettino is on the slippery slide with Spurs - he's only perfect for us if you want us to decline further.

Ole is building a squad - he brought in Harry, Aaron and Daniel and would have done more if players had been willing to come. They weren't and a few of them made the kind of demands that Ole and the board quite rightly rejected. His public stance has been correct - United has a list of wanted players/attitudes and a certain amount of money.

Primadonnas don't fit the club no matter how talented, other players like Lukaku didn't fit for other reasons, Sanchez' grubby attitude for money was enabled by Mourinho not Ole. His loan was the best that could be done under the circumstances. However, the coaching staff needs change and now.

He is blooding the youth players and unfortunately throwing them in at the deep end sometimes because of a decimated squad. No choice there.

Enigma_87

You know who
Pochettino is on the slippery slide with Spurs - he's only perfect for us if you want us to decline further.

Ole is building a squad - he brought in Harry, Aaron and Daniel and would have done more if players had been willing to come. They weren't and a few of them made the kind of demands that Ole and the board quite rightly rejected. His public stance has been correct - United has a list of wanted players/attitudes and a certain amount of money.

Primadonnas don't fit the club no matter how talented, other players like Lukaku didn't fit for other reasons, Sanchez' grubby attitude for money was enabled by Mourinho not Ole. His loan was the best that could be done under the circumstances. However, the coaching staff needs change and now.

He is blooding the youth players and unfortunately throwing them in at the deep end sometimes because of a decimated squad. No choice there.
Don't take it personal but think you deserve to see out this season with Ole in charge battling for relegation.

You have set your standards so low that I think you have forgotten which team you supposedly support.

el3mel

This season has been a failure for Poch but it has nothing to do with him being on slippery side ffs. The guy is only 47. I don't know how many times we needed to say this but Liverpool signed Klopp too after he left BVB on "slippery side" after years of success, but his last season ended up fighting for relegation in his last season and eventually just finishing 7th, but it had nothing to do with him being a top quality manager. Just because Poch and Spurs have reached the end of their cycle and it's time for him to go, it's not going to change the fact he's still a very young manager and did very well in building a good squad and coaching proper football (doesn't necessarily mean always attacking one). These qualities are what we need now. He had problems with winning trophies which I criticized him loads previously but it's hardly our problem at the moment. Our problem is we are crap at football.

Ole building a squad? Maybe a squad for Championship next year. Maybe the players weren't willing to come because him as a manager doesn't inspire any player to join. Who will want to join the project of a no name as Ole? A project that no one knew where it was going and after how this season went on I bet these players are pleased they rejected us.

The football has been crap for a near a year now regardless of who is available. There's absolute lack of any style or even any kind of football played on the pitch. It is not just one freak run or a freak game. This has been present ever since the PSG game. That's over 20 games or so. Players sold and bought, players return from injury or get injured, and nothing changed, shite on stick football served week in week out.

Fans would have been calmer if we were playing good football, seeing any kind of style being implemented while the players struggle to apply it or see any players developing, like, say, Chelsea with their rookie manager playing great football, integrating youth in main lineup as Ibraham and Mount and being 2 points away from City who are 2nd, even though they lost their best player and had a transfer ban. The atmosphere around them oozes positivity while we are 12th in the league and 2 points away from first relegation zone.

Managers are giving time and patience when they are producing something on the pitch and it seemed there are few things that prevent it from clicking, not when there's nothing being implemented on the pitch and the team keeps falling from match to match till relegation fight.

I had big problems with Poch previously but imo he's the best manager to rebuild the squad and coach proper football in players. Regardless of him winning things or not, he's more trustable with it than a manager whose career shows nothing of it and the current run seems kinda in line with what he did at Cardiff rather than being a freak run.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Depends on who are you asking.

If it is the keep camp - definitely signing James, AWB and Maguire is only down on him and he unearthed those guys. In relation to not sign replacements that is not on him but on the board, despite he himself claiming otherwise in interviews. :D
Basically it's not his fault the board did give an incompetent manager just 160m to play with and you can't fault him for pulling a Paul Jewell type of form because he wasn't properly backed, injuries came into play, luck and falling out with the tea lady.

Thank you very much for your detailed answers.
I like his signings plan, strengthen the defense and sign British but if he sells a striker who has scored so many goals in the Premier and does not sign anyone, and in the midfield, even my grandmother could see that you needed reinforcements.
Or he is very reckless or a victim of the board.
In one way or another the results command. Seeing the table you could give him a few more weeks. All the teams are very close. Two games won and maybe you would see things differently.
This season I have seen only parts of matches so I can not value too much what he contributes to the team, but I would sack him simply for the results, regardless of everything else but I tend to be an easy trigger with the coaches and the "he needs a couple of transfer windows" doesn't sound too good to me

fallengt

Speak for yourself. You represent our "supporters" base somehow ? Any thing to back that up?

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I had big problems with Poch previously but imo he's the best manager to rebuild the squad and coach proper football in players. Regardless of him winning things or not, he's more trustable with it than a manager whose career shows nothing of it and the current run seems kinda in line with what he did at Cardiff rather than being a freak run.
Yup, if results keep going the same way for United and Spurs is going to be a matter of Pochettino being available to sack Ole. Either way if it's not Poch Ole needs to be replaced if you want to improve the football and have a defined style.

Hughes35

Changed my vote after the Newcastle game. That was the final straw for me.

I really like the guy and he's a club legend. He's made all the right moves and says all the right things (In public)...... just not a very good manager for some reason behind the scenes.

Our squad is dreadful so it's not all his fault but it's better than it's showing right now. Needs to go before we end up in a relegation dog fight.

meamth

Another deluded one. Yeah 130m is peanuts especially if you are living in Zimbabwe.

Keep up the faith till he puts us in relegation zone.
This guy is deluded, that guy is deluded.

Yeah, keep on labeling people deluded mate, hope that could ease your pain.

mav_9me

Thank you very much for your detailed answers.
I like his signings plan, strengthen the defense and sign British but if he sells a striker who has scored so many goals in the Premier and does not sign anyone, and in the midfield, even my grandmother could see that you needed reinforcements.
Or he is very reckless or a victim of the board.
In one way or another the results command. Seeing the table you could give him a few more weeks. All the teams are very close. Two games won and maybe you would see things differently.
This season I have seen only parts of matches so I can not value too much what he contributes to the team, but I would sack him simply for the results, regardless of everything else but I tend to be an easy trigger with the coaches and the "he needs a couple of transfer windows" doesn't sound too good to me
The problem for me is not the results. For example in the first 4 games I thought we played OK (average) but we dropped points. With subsequent injuries our play has progressively gotten worse with results obviously worse.

So my main concern is we don't have a way of playing and I can't see Ole changing or improving it. That's why I think it's time for change. So couple of results won't change anything.

shahzy

Still in the keep Ole camp, and there's nothing the spoilt little Princesses on here can say to make me change my mind.

This place takes embarrassing to a different level at times.
You still trying to show everyone how top of a red you are?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Not really, Giggs being Wales manager recommended James to Solskjaer, Mourinho wanted Maguire last summer & Wan-Bissaka had an extremely good previous season where we needed Young replaced. Solskjaer wants to have a policy of young British players but the actual players weren't really surprising apart from James.

Woodward makes the decision on renewals. Solskjaer wanted to keep Herrera (he was a key starter under him) and he too wanted to stay, but Woodward has a moronic practice of delaying the contract renewals for even important players. We've had a lot of players contracts almost expiring at the same time recently.

He said this about Solskjaer:
He (Solskjaer) did a lot for me to stay, but things didn’t happen. They arrived late and, by then, I’d already made the decision to play in Paris.’
He let Herrera's contract run down to the last year, leaving him hanging, but renewed Jones, Smalling & Young to lucrative contracts in the meantime. He then made a last minute offer (few months before January I think) to Herrera to avoid losing him for free, but Herrera felt disrespected by this offer so it must have been a derisory offer. So Herrera decided to leave and signed a pre-contract with PSG in the January.

Solskjaer was fine with Lukaku leaving though. Lukaku wanted to leave too. Solskjaer did defiantly declare before the summer that, anyone leaving would have to be replaced. But we weren't linked to anyone credibly during it. The only midfielder we were linked to was Sean Longstaff (who?). Yet Fellaini & Herrera had already left & Matic was regarded as finished all in the same year, which was insane.

Juve offered us the chance to sign Mandzukic through the Lukaku deal but we declined, he was overpriced apparently.

Solskjaer put a brave face on in pre-season and said he was happy with the youth replacing them but I don't think he had much of a choice. We've had approx. £50m net spends over the past 2 summers so the Lukaku deal was Woodward's way to recoup funds.

To sum up:

Solskjaer's list of targets was likely unimaginative and he definately underestimated the quality of the squad (for that he should fall on his sword), but Woodward has a big role to play in the incompetent planning too.

We've been run as a financial enterprise and not as a football team for years now. The team has been left to rot for a long time. This year is the perfect storm and result of years of neglect and due care to the football side.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

Still in the keep Ole camp, and there's nothing the spoilt little Princesses on here can say to make me change my mind.

This place takes embarrassing to a different level at times.
How are people spoiled for simply saying a man isn't cut out for the job? It's just a fact.

Yeah cos the forum really needs another League table with Liverpool at the top, feck me sideways.
What does that even mean? You're not thinking rationally. The table wasn't shown to wank off Liverpool. It was to show reality about how we've done for a long time.

ash_86

Haven't changed it to sack yet. Next 4-5 games is where I'll be making that decision. I want to see how the team performs when Martial and Pogba are on the pitch. I don't think Ole has lost the dressing room yet. What we are seeing is the brutal lack of quality in our depth. Imo the team would start performing much better when Martial and Pogba comes in so will our results.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah cos the forum really needs another League table with Liverpool at the top, feck me sideways.
The point of the table isn’t about Liverpool you daft poop!

It’s about the fact that we have been displaying relegation form for quite a while.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Not really, Giggs being Wales manager recommended James to Solskjaer, Mourinho wanted Maguire last summer & Wan-Bissaka had an extremely good previous season where we needed Young replaced. Solskjaer wants to have a policy of young British players but the actual players weren't really surprising apart from James.

Woodward makes the decision on renewals. Solskjaer wanted to keep Herrera and he too wanted to stay, but Woodward has a moronic practice of delaying the contract renewals for even important players. We've had a lot of players contracts almost expiring at the same time recently.

He let Herrera's contract run down, leaving him hanging, but renewed Jones, Smalling & Young to lucrative contracts in the meantime. He then made a last minute offer to Herrera to avoid losing him for free, but Herrera felt disrespected by this offer so it must have been a derisory offer. So Herrera decided to leave and signed a pre-contract with PSG.

Solskjaer was happy with Lukaku leaving though. Lukaku wanted to leave too. Solskjaer did declare before the summer that, anyone leaving would have to be replaced, but we weren't linked to anyone credibly during it. The only midfielder we were linked to was Sean Longstaff (who?) Yet Fellaini & Herrera had already left & Matic was regarded as finished all in the same year, which was insane.

Juve offered us the chance to sign Mandzukic through the Lukaku deal but we declined, he was overpriced apparently.

Solskjaer put a brave face on in pre-season and said he was happy with the youth replacing them but I don't think he had much of a choice. We've had approx. £50m net spends over the past 2 summers so the Lukaku deal was Woodward's way to recoup funds.

To sum up:

Solskjaer's list of targets was likely unimaginative and he definately underestimated the quality of the squad, but Woodward has a big role to play in the incompetent planning too.

We've been run as a financial enterprise and not as a football team for years now. The team has been left to rot for a long time. This year is the perfect storm and result of years of neglect and due care to the football side.
I stopped reading there, which is a shame because it may have been a good post, but please tell me you don't actually believe that.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
At this stage, I don't put all the blame on Ole still. Most of it I'm putting on our board and the transfer window. That set this season up for failure, we were always going to be struggling to stay 6th, let alone make top 4. Sure we improved our defence, but we reduced our midfield and attack overall. Simply put, our squad isn't good enough.

What I do put at his feet, is our total lack of ideas going forward, and total lack of speed and urgency when moving the ball about. Even with poor players, you would expect some sort of strategy to be seen. Yet watching us play football, I can't see what we are trying to do half the time. We hold the ball ok, but if we never look to move forward it means nothing. It says a lot when last night, it was Maguire stepping into midfield for one of our players to play an adventurous ball. The rest of them just knock it back and forth without doing anything.

I've moved to the idea that sacking him wouldn't be a bad idea. But I'd also be concerned that at this point of the season if we do sack him, who do you bring in? and would that even solve the problems?

Fussball13251

it's just to show that the team has been in relegation form for ages now. only 8 games in this season thus far so plenty of time to sink even lower.

midnightmare

Changed my vote to sack after Newcastle. That was as poor a performance as I’ve ever seen from a United “team” and unless one is asked to believe that none of these players is even EL level, that’s on the manager and coaching staff. Not just Ole - McKenna and Carrick must go too. This group doesn’t show even the most basic passing pattern. That’s not coincidence and not down to playing team alone.

It’s like we do nothing in training. That trend was visible under Jose too last season and that leads me to believe that McKenna and Carrick are either incompetent or ineffective at this level. Neither attribute lends itself to continued employment.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I stopped reading there, which is a shame because it may have been a good post, but please tell me you don't actually believe that.
There must be a misunderstanding then.

Where I'm coming from is, Woodward runs down everyone's contract, he's the one deciding that isn't he? Woodward was the key reason in Herrera leaving. Solskjaer came in the December & he wanted to keep him but the damage was already done by then.

After that, came the Smalling, Young & Jones contracts, if you're asking me if I believed Ole wanted them to stay, then yes i do (for that he deserves all the criticism) but it's a bit deeper than that isn't it?

We know Woodward likes to renew existing contracts instead of replacing them as it's cheaper. No doubt he would have had a hand in their renewals too.

What do you disagree on?

Last edited:

rpg

No manager will solve the problem if keep sacking managers. The players are to blame. They did the same to Mourinho, now the same to Ole. This showed they are bigger than the manager which is something that never happened during Fergie. The team showed they are capable of winning 8 games in a trot last season. There is only one explanation for the current results.They want Ole out.

Status
Not open for further replies.