Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Came 3rd like 3 months ago pal or did I dream it?

Then went into a window wanting Grealish n Sancho and was given DVB who let's be honest he clearly didn't ask for or he'd be playing him every game. And got a has been striker on deadline day as a panic buy.
Grealish was 80m and Sancho was 120m ?! Which board actually paid that much for any player in the last market ?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It is just the Ole guys blaming someone else to keep the heat from Ole. Both are out of their depth, but realistically, getting rid of Ed is difficult. Replacing the out of depth manager is easier.
Poch out calls within a year. Already forseen it. Can't blame Woodward and Co for on the pitch issues blah blah blah and around we go again.

Amir

Jose was the most successful coach we have ever appointed (as Fergie hadn't won too much when he came) and he wasn't good enough. CL winning coach LVG wasnt good enough. 12 seasoned PL proven Moyes wasnt.

Most fans want Poch. Loads of Spurs fans wanted him gone before he got the boot. Not good enough for a nothing club and not good enough for Daniel Levy but the man to save United? Not having it.
You do realise that coaches don't normally last 25 years at clubs, right? Poch had a few good years at Spurs and eventually things soured - It happens a lot. Doesn't mean he didn't do great work there for a few years. The way you talk about it, one could think he was hounded out within months.

Moyes was never top level, LVG was top level years before we got him and it is rather universally believed Mourinho was never the same after Real. Loved him as a manager, wanted him at United, and I was wrong. He lost something along the way.

Doesn't mean the only option left is Solskjaer. I can't promise success with any coach around, but I'd happily gamble on Poch. We can settle for Solskjaer, but I feel there's a limit to what he can do.

Mainoldo

Then went into a window wanting Grealish n Sancho and was given DVB who let's be honest he clearly didn't ask for or he'd be playing him every game. And got a has been striker on deadline day as a panic buy.
Poor guy Didn’t get £80m Grealish and £120m Sancho so he could have us lingering mid table with his defensive tactics. Atleast they saved us some money for the new manager to spend.

Can you imagine if we got him his players. Some might have demanded a title challenge. Then he’d really be sweating. But keep living off 3rd like it meant something.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Ole is the 17th worst manager in the league. So pick one above him. Your talking like It’s a hard job to replace him. I mean next you will be telling me who do we want instead of Dan James.
Our league form is terrible at the moment. But your point doesn’t make sense at all. The only 2 managers in the PL who would be competing for titles with us are Pep and Klopp and we are obviously not getting them.
I am also 100 % convinced Poch won’t be competing for titles, not with us and not with any other club bar maybe PSG.
If Ole doesn’t improve our league results he will be gone. But getting the next appointment right will be a huge challenge and the right appointment will definitely not be any current PL manager bar the 2 unattainable ones.

Greck

This team isn't good enough to win league titles. Teams who aren't good enough to win titles go through bad spells of form.

He's had 1 full season and he finished 3rd. He couldn't have done any more.
But this squad finished 3rd, beat RB and Psg and beat multiple top 6 teams last season. I think they deserve as much credit as Ole does for those feats

Chairman Steve

I don't get the 'OGS should get better coaches in then' argument... Has anything like that ever happened when it didn't involve a coach leaving a role for similar role elsewhere or a manager job? Last high profile one I can think is Rodgers (iirc) got forced Sean O'Driscoll and Gary McAllister on him at Liverpool and he lasted about 6 weeks before they went out and got Klopp.

Most managers live and die by their coaching team anyway if they could. The only times they have to make a change is because the coach gets a manager offer elsewhere and their hand is forced.

Amir

VDB mighr not have been top of his list but it's not as if Ole turned up at Carrington one day and was stunned to find him.

No coach gets everyone he wants. He just has to deal with it.

izec

Poch out calls within a year. Already forseen it. Can't blame Woodward and Co for on the pitch issues blah blah blah and around we go again.
Only fair Poch gets three years, same as Ole.

Keeping Ole is not the solution for sure. If you can improve, you do. What happens with Ed has no bearing on that. Changes may lead to other changes, but Keeping Ole around for the sake of it makes no sense. Or first Woody and then Ole, it is just utter nonsense.

We will never have the best squad in football, so yes, the on the pitch shitfest is mainly on Ole and the coaching staff. The excuse that we dont have a good enough squad is over. Not good enough to win the CL and league normally, yes. But other titles and play good football, nope. This season is pretty open and we are nowhere near to calitalise on it

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You do realise that coaches don't normally last 25 years at clubs, right? Poch had a few good years at Spurs and eventually things soured - It happens a lot. Doesn't mean he didn't do great work there for a few years. The way you talk about it, one could think he was hounded out within months.

Moyes was never top level, LVG was top level years before we got him and it is rather universally believed Mourinho was never the same after Real. Loved him as a manager, wanted him at United, and I was wrong. He lost something along the way.

Doesn't mean the only option left is Solskjaer. I can't promise success with any coach around, but I'd happily gamble on Poch. We can settle for Solskjaer, but I feel there's a limit to what he can do.
I want Woodward out before Ole. That's why. He's been a far bigger failure. If this was all down to Ole then why have we been shit since 2013?

Get rid of Woodward and then look at replacing Ole. Why can't you lot see the issue in sacking Ole? Doesn't thy just mean Ed gets away with it yet again?

When will you learn? Maybe after the next manager fails. Maybe not.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Only fair Poch gets three years, same as Ole.

Keeping Ole is not the solution for sure. If you can improve, you do. What happens with Ed has no bearing on that. Changes may lead to other changes, but Keeping Ole around for the sake of it makes no sense. Or first Woody and then Ole, it is just utter nonsense
Ole hasn't even had 2 years yet. He was appointed in Dec 2018. He's had 1 full season.

Mainoldo

Our league form is terrible at the moment. But your point doesn’t make sense at all. The only 2 managers in the PL who would be competing for titles with us are Pep and Klopp and we are obviously not getting them.
I am also 100 % convinced Poch won’t be competing for titles, not with us and not with any other club bar maybe PSG.
If Ole doesn’t improve our league results he will be gone. But getting the next appointment right will be a huge challenge and the right appointment will definitely not be any current PL manager bar the 2 unattainable ones.
I think only the ignorant believe Pep and Klopp are the only managers in world football who can win trophies. I mean how the hell did Bayern manage to win a Champions league without them.

Even more ignorant is that because we don’t have them we should stick with a manger who’s league record is getting Cardiff relegated and bottling ever opportunity to win medals by never making it past the semis.

el3mel

As I said in another thread, I'm not calling for his head as it's totally pointless. He's here to stay for now, and it's better to revisit his position as our manager comes the end of the season. For the moment I'm just sticking with praising him when we win and criticizing him when we lose.

However the idea that some actually believe he was not supported or backed by the board in the market and Woodward is the reason for any loss from now on is really weird ? I really can't get how some actually believe this ? I don't like Woodward at all, he's shite, but he has backed Ole as much as he backed LVG in his 2 seasons, and Mourinho in his first 2 seasons. The only time Woodward vetoed a manager signing was in Mourinho's last season and only his last season ? Otherwise the board gave Ole what they could. Blaming them for not getting a 120m Sancho or 80m Grealish is honestly ridiculous. It's the same board that gave Ole an 80m defender which was totally ridiculous price.

When will we stop about just bringing players from outside and start focusing on the very good players we already have ?

Russky14

The loss is on him. For five minutes before the penalty, Pogba lost the ball multiple times, and instead of acting fast and replace him he waited for the bigger mistake to happen.
Agree. No balls to accept Pogba is impact sub at best.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Poor guy Didn’t get £80m Grealish and £120m Sancho so he could have us lingering mid table with his defensive tactics. Atleast they saved us some money for the new manager to spend.

Can you imagine if we got him his players. Some might have demanded a title challenge. Then he’d really be sweating. But keep living off 3rd like it meant something.
Keep pretending replacing the manager will make it all better. It won't.

Ole not been here since 2013. I know a guy who has been though. Ed Woodward

Mainoldo

Mate I don’t give a damn if it’s Poch and a year later he has to go. You seem to think I care who’s in charge. I just want to right person and Ole is the worse out of the lot.

So keep your Woodward thoughts in the Woodward thread.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I think only the ignorant believe Pep and Klopp are the only managers in world football who can win trophies. I mean how the hell did Bayern manage to win a Champions league without them.

Even more ignorant is that because we don’t have them we should stick with a manger who’s league record is getting Cardiff relegated and bottling ever opportunity to win medals by never making it past the semis.
Read your own post again. You suggested Ole would be the 17th worst manager in the league. So we could pick anyone above him. Which just isn’t true. And Bayern is managed by Flick, not by a current PL manager. What’s the point in getting the current 5th or 10th best manager in the league (whoever that is)? How about the board planning a manager appointment for once and getting it right?

RooneyLegend

As I said in another thread, I'm not calling for his head as it's totally pointless. He's here to stay for now, and it's better to revisit his position as our manager comes the end of the season. For the moment I'm just sticking with praising him when we win and criticizing him when we lose.

However the idea that some actually believe he was not supported or backed by the board in the market and Woodward is the reason for any loss from now on is really weird ? I really can't get how some actually believe this ? I don't like Woodward at all, he's shite, but he has backed Ole as much as he backed LVG in his 2 seasons, and Mourinho in his first 2 seasons. The only time Woodward vetoed a manager signing was in Mourinho's last season and only his last season ? Otherwise the board gave Ole what they could. Blaming them for not getting a 120m Sancho or 80m Grealish is honestly ridiculous. It's the same board that gave Ole an 80m defender which was totally ridiculous price.

When will we stop about just bringing players from outside and start focusing on the very good players we already have ?
Exactly. We make terrible decisions in the market cause of these foolish managers and their demands that apparently every single one had to be met for them to put out a functioning side. We literally spent 80 million on a defender infervor to Smalling and prematurely made him captain.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Been a poor start no question. However we have beaten two of the best teams in Europe with two of the most fancied managers.
I don't give a feck about games in isolation, I care about the whole picture. And the whole picture is that it looks terribly bleak right now for Ole. He draws and loses far, far too many games and it's getting ridiculous now.

Foxbatt

So who do you want then? Easy to criticise the current boss. Who is the answer then? Put your money where your mouth is.

Jose was the most successful coach we have ever appointed (as Fergie hadn't won too much when he came) and he wasn't good enough. CL winning coach LVG wasnt good enough. 12 seasoned PL proven Moyes wasnt.

Most fans want Poch. Loads of Spurs fans wanted him gone before he got the boot. Not good enough for a nothing club and not good enough for Daniel Levy but the man to save United? Not having it.
Fergie has broken the two Glasgow clubs monopoly in Scotland when Scottish football was something. He beat Bayern Munich and Real Madrid to win when the Cup Winners Cup was something. He has won a lot before he came to United. In fact that was the sole reason why they hired him. Not because he won the League in Maldives or San Marino or somewhere like that.

GiddyUp

Beat Nagelsmann 5 nil. A manager you'd probably want. Beat Tuchel twice. Another one you'd want no doubt. Beat Pep 3 times in a season. Beat Lampard 3 times. Beat Jose. First team to take any pts off Liverpool last year.

How that all happen then?

There's a cancer at this club. Poch or whoever takes over next will go the exact same way.
Fantastic. Let's name all the managers who has lost against. Fair play to him for those results. Let's see how he fairs against Nagelsmann away, doubt it would be another 5-0. Our 1st result against PSG was also an absolute robbery and we were dogshit for multiple games after.
I do hear what you are saying but we can't continue to play the underdog to get these results. For every great result (not necessarily performance) we are hit and miss for the next few games relying on individuals instead of a clear structure.
There is no shame in saying an individual has reached their peak, Ole seems to have hit it here. I don't feel that Pochettino hit it with Spurs, he was hampered by a club with no hunger for growth, example being going in to a new season with no signings new stadium and rumors of turmoil in the team (sleeping with each others girlfriends). I think he would do pretty well with this squad and take us up another level.

Amir

I want Woodward out before Ole. That's why. He's been a far bigger failure. If this was all down to Ole then why have we been shit since 2013?

Get rid of Woodward and then look at replacing Ole. Why can't you lot see the issue in sacking Ole? Doesn't thy just mean Ed gets away with it yet again?

When will you learn? Maybe after the next manager fails. Maybe not.
You are correct. A bigger issue than Solskjaer is the man who made a bad call when appointing him and our previous managers.

The problem with that is bigger issue than the man who made these appointments are the owners who gave this man his job and are keeping him in it. Even if they let Woodward go and put someone else in charge, who's to say he'll be any better?

The reality of the matter is the Glazers aren't going anywhere. The reality of the matter is Woodward isn't going anywhere. Does that mean we have to settle for Solskjaer? No. We may get the next managerial appintment wrong, but maybe we'll get it right, and that will make a big difference.

windco

Always yes, the difference between UCL opposition and EPL opposition is the later know our players and know this guy inept tactic. At the end of the day history will wrote him as our worst manager since SAF. Mind telling you that Moyes didn't spend almost 300m here and He also brought Fellaini, a player who arguably contribute the most towards all the silverware we won for the last 7 years.

led_scholes

Agree. No balls to accept Pogba is impact sub at best.
I wouldn't necessarily say Pogba is only an impact sub. But today he seemed to be exhausted and he had a negative contribution. Then he takes out Fred to put another player without legs. Just baffling.

Gazza

Aye, I thought of the Juve game alright during the week. It did remind me of that. I remember a thread made about Jose acting like a nob after the match to the Juve fans and the over kill hero worship he recieved.

I guess some lack the self awareness to see how obnoxious they come across. It's not their opinions, which I have no problem with, but how they to chose to convey them and their condescending nature.
You have been absolutely spot on throughout this thread! Completely agree

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I just see them as clueless and reactionary. Emotional too. The fact that they don't feel any personal ties to Ole if they grew up like you, for example, just makes it easier for them to spit their bile on him.
I still have memories of Ole as a player, but considering his crowning moment happened when I was a toddler, yeah, it's not quite the same.

To me he's more of a cult hero than a legend. Park Ji-Sung or Chicharito level, rather than a Scholes or a Giggs. I know that will offend some, but I have next to no memory of him pre injuries.

I don't say this as a mark of disrespect, but my main memories of him as a player were him being our 4th choice striker who was always injured and "used to be good". I know that sounds kinda dickish but that's genuinely how I viewed him when I was growing up and learning the game.

I love your user name. Such a great time in our history. Did you know that from the squad that won the treble, Solskjaer, Sheringham, and Yorke were not SAF first choice signings?

Solskjaer was signed after Shearer rejected us for Newcastle.

Sheringham was an anti climatic signing to replace Cantona, i can imagine the outrage if the internet existed then as it does now. A 31 year old signed to replace our talisman, the board rejected various players due to wages/salary I think Zidane, Del Piero were SAF first choices.

Yorke was SAF second choice, we spent the summer chasing Patrick Kluivert our board refused to pay the wages and transfer fee and he went to Barcelona.

Great point about Ed being there since 2013. Reminds me of Martin Edwards, he was blamed for United failing, being stingy with money, etc but SAF came won things and it became irrelevant.

Reactions: jojojo

UbicaMekogSrca

Supports
FK Sloboda
Should be nowhere on the job like this.I know that i will get hate from top reds or maybe get baned.
Fell sorry for old man who needs to watch this shit.
Sit deep and hope on some magic... Is that what we want from Machester United?

Amir

I get what you’re saying. I was 6 years old in 99 so my main childhood memories of Ole are mostly of him being a very injury prone bench player, so maybe im not as blinded by nostalgia as a lot of people.
I've got tons of Ole nostalgia. I remember his debut, the goal he scored that day, the excitement over the next few months as a young unknown player turned out to be a great goalscorer who helped us win the title that year. Not to mention the following decade up to his retirement. Tons of games, tons of goals, tons of stories.

But I'm not letting nostalgia take over my head. It's about what's right for Manchester United from 2020 forward. Not about what happened in 1996 or 1999.

MattofManchester

It's about what's right for Manchester United from 2020 forward.
Exactly. While I love him as a legend, the club comes first and right now he is not doing right by the club.
Dont see why this is hard for some to understand.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I've got tons of Ole nostalgia. I remember his debut, the goal he scored that day, the excitement over the next few months as a young unknown player turned out to be a great goalscorer who helped us win the title that year. Not to mention the following decade up to his retirement. Tons of games, tons of goals, tons of stories.

But I'm not letting nostalgia take over my head. It's about what's right for Manchester United from 2020 forward. Not about what happened in 1996 or 1999.
Spot on.

We all have to separate the manager from the man and the player.

Nobody dislikes Ole, it's not a Jose or Moyes thing where people don't like the guy, we all want him to succeed and it would be a lovely story if he did take us back to the top, it's just not looking very likely. At the end of the day players and managers come and go, this Ole in/out tribal shit is just as silly as the Pogba/Bruno and Martial/Rashford fan wars. We're all United fans and should want the best for the club, not wanting to just be proved right.

croadyman

Yeah of course I want to see Woody & Judge get booted before Ole but lets face it they are the jewel in the Glazer crown and are going nowhere (throws up at the thought)

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Ed doesn't set the team up to play for a draw at home in successive games against very beatable sides.

Just because Ole is not the main problem doesn't mean he's not a problem himself. His tactics are all over the place and he makes weird team selections and baffling substitutions almost every game.

Red00012

You can’t complain about the 11 he had Out tonight . It’s probably our strongest team. Yet we were outplayed . On paper tonight who would you rather have ?

MattofManchester

The defence is weak: Spend 130m on new defenders.
There's no creativity: Sign Bruno Fernandes and now Donny Van De Beek.
Pogba, Martial and Rashford were all injured: We now have a fully fit squad.
De Gea is costing us results: Not anymore he isn't.

These were all the excuses associated with last season's and before constant dismal performances and our poor league form.
The same can't be said this season, and yet we look even worse.

Now it's the lack of fans? How many more excuses will there be?

Aresma7

You can’t complain about the 11 he had Out tonight . It’s probably our strongest team. Yet we were outplayed . On paper tonight who would you rather have ?
outplayed? What game were you watching

Status
Not open for further replies.