Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

The thing with Ole is that his contract expires at the end of this season. I don't think it's getting renewed, he won't get another Bruno to save his skin.

So why not agree a mutually beneficial separation for both him and the club and let Poch take over now to steady the ship?

If no manager was available, I'd say wait a season but the cost of removing OGS is so low and we have a ready-made replacement. I can see an argument for someone other than Poch but then the club needs to do a City or Bayern and announce our new manager mid-season.

edit: confirmed it's 2022

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

I get what you’re saying. I was 6 years old in 99 so my main childhood memories of Ole are mostly of him being a very injury prone bench player, so maybe im not as blinded by nostalgia as a lot of people.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect him massively as a man & a footballer. I remember being chuffed to bits for him when he got his first goal back after about 2 years out away at Charlton in 06. I just don’t think he’s tactically good enough to take us where we want to go. Everybody who is “Ole In” thinks every “Ole out” fan has a personal hatred for Ole but it’s not like that at all. He’s still a legend at the end of the day, and when he does eventually leave we’ll look back fondly at some of the great results we’ve had under him, but consistency is key & after 100 games we’re still as hot & cold as ever. I just don’t see him ever winning us challenging under him.
I just see them as clueless and reactionary. Emotional too. The fact that they don't feel any personal ties to Ole if they grew up like you, for example, just makes it easier for them to spit their bile on him.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Ah, my bad then.

For some reason, I thought he got 2.5 years, including his first half season. Of course we gave him 3.5 years, why would we not.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Any blind man Will move Rushford to the left and throw in Cavani for Fred and VDB to replace McT. Obviously Ole doesn't think so.

Chairman Steve

I don't understand this laying foundation thing, don't misunderstand me mate I'm not saying that in a condescending way.

Can you tell me with conviction which manager would be the best fit to replace him based on the playing style (or lack thereof) we have, bcoz I don't know if we are a team that keeps the ball or are defensive counter based or high energy pressing team or anything else.
I feel that his signings are more like the clubs signings which he had a say on or just okayed. I don’t think OGS has the power to specifically request certain players he wants like Jose or LVG did. At the moment the team is a bit of a blank slate in terms of playing style as you mentioned, in that no-one knows what their strengths are outside of counterattack.

I don’t think we should attract a defensive manager with our young attacking talents and we should go after a manager who will embrace them, instead of someone who wants his own attackers like Jose would.

crossy1686

career ending
I’ve said multiple times before, I believe in giving a manager time, at least 3 seasons before we see a team that the manager is happy with.

There has been clear night and day progress under Ole, we’ve taken big strides to get back to our current position from the dark days of Jose’s sacking and LVG’s piss poor squad building.

However, today’s result against Arsenal is all on the manager. I’m not sure if it was arrogant or naïve, but it was terrible tactics, game plan and execution.

We could all see at half time it wasn’t working, the switch at half time saw us improve but Pogba should never have been tasked to track back into his own box to make tackles, he’s not good at it. After that the game was over, we had nothing to give and absolutely no idea how to get back into the game.

Throwing on players without any plan other than “get it into the box” was a shit show as well. There’s no point in putting VDB and Cavani in if their job is to hope the ball falls to them while we’re lumping it into the box.

Really, really poor game all round. These home results will get Solskjaer sacked because these performances are akin relegation fodder.

led_scholes

The loss is on him. For five minutes before the penalty, Pogba lost the ball multiple times, and instead of acting fast and replace him he waited for the bigger mistake to happen.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Aah, the 'no trophy' argument yet people want to stick with Ole . The irony !
Ole has won a league title as a manager. Okay only in Norway but that team he won it with hadn't won a title in their entire history.

So it might only be Norway league title but its more than Poch has ever won.

Sticking with our manager all the way. The real problem at the club is the pillock who sits above him.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
You can't just keep sacking managers.

The fecking board didn't purchase a single player we really needed.

That's the situation we are in.

What is the point of buying players who are past it. Might as well of kept hold of Rooney than sign the dross we have, since his departure.

el3mel

We have

De Gea 30 years old
Bruno 26 years old
Martial 25 years old
Rashford 23 years old
Fred 27 years old
Maguire 27 years old
Lindelof 26 years old
Shaw 25 years old
AWB 23 years old
Scott 24 years old
Telles 27 years old

All these are at their prime at the moment or just about to start it. All are ranging from good to great players.

We also have from the old players Matic (32) and Cavani (33) with good contribution from the bench.

And from the youngsters we have Greenwood (19), an exceptional talent.

Now let's forget a little bit about the manager, what exactly does this squad miss to just, I mean just, mount a close title challenge ? 4 years or so from now on, several of our best players like Bruno or Martial will be close to 30 and their prime will be close to come to an end. What's the perfect time for these lot to win something big ?

Everything points to it being NOW. Within the next 2-3 years at least. Otherwise it'll be a waste, simply. Liverpool and City aren't as strong as they were the previous few seasons, and in no time they'll start entering the "rebuild phase" themselves.

So when we'll stop being content with just top 4 and "transitional period" and start thinking "yeah that's enough, time to win the big prizes in football" ?

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ole has won a league title as a manager. Okay only in Norway but that team he won it with hadn't won a title in their entire history.

Sticking with our manager all the way. The real problem at the club is the pillock who sits above him.
Jeez , the level of justifications here. No one cares about a Norwegian trophy league. Seriously dude ?

Guy is as clueless as you can get and not everyone else needs 100 millions to be spent on players. The team isn't even performing to its potential and yet, people think the manager is not the problem.

State of us these days !

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

What is the point of buying players who are past it. Might as well of kept hold of Rooney than sign the dross we have, since his departure.
The team we have is better than the results. It’s not that difficult.

Devil81

I'm losing faith, lose to Everton next week and its over for me.

Four defeats in the first eight games is a disgrace given the players we have at our disposal.

We don't seem to have a system, the diamond worked for 20 minutes on Wednesday and we went for it today. That's not a plan, its snatching at what might work, out best football comes with a back five, why not stick with that for the season.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's easy to say in hindsight he got it wrong today (he did) but there was almost unanimous agreement with the starting lineup and over 75% were predicting victory in the match thread.

Personally I predicted a draw, Arsenal just seem to have our number and I said so before the game.

I don't think we should overreact to this result (just like midweek). Watching other games no one is playing particularly well but we can't lose much more ground in the top 4 race.

Robbie Boy

I'm losing faith, lose to Everton next week and its over for me.

Four defeats in the first eight games is a disgrace given the players we have at our disposal.

We don't seem to have a system, the diamond worked for 20 minutes on Wednesday and we went for it today. That's not a plan, its snatching at what might work, out best football comes with a back five, why not stick with that for the season.
Kind of reminds me when I'm having a mare in FM and stumble upon a tactic in a match that gives me a decent win. I'll then go for the same thing in the next match and get dicked. It's literally clutching at straws and such amateur stuff :lol:

I acknowledge lots of positive changes he's made and he's a top bloke. But some of the coaching and tactical decisions during his reign have been appalling. He's got some right and those have been treated with some insane OTT praise. But by-and-large, we are all over the place all too often.

Mainoldo

We could have got him Messi and Ronaldo we would still be 15th. Get rid.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Jeez , the level of justifications here. No one cares about a Norwegian trophy league. Seriously dude ?

Guy is as clueless as you can get and not everyone else needs 100 millions to be spent on players. The team isn't even performing to its potential and yet, people think the manager is not the problem.

State of us these days !
Beat Nagelsmann 5 nil. A manager you'd probably want. Beat Tuchel twice. Another one you'd want no doubt. Beat Pep 3 times in a season. Beat Lampard 3 times. Beat Jose. First team to take any pts off Liverpool last year.

How that all happen then?

There's a cancer at this club. Poch or whoever takes over next will go the exact same way.

Devil81

Kind of reminds me when I'm having a mare in FM and stumble upon a tactic in a match that gives me a decent win. I'll then go for the same thing in the next match and get dicked. It's literally clutching at straws and such amateur stuff :lol:

I acknowledge lots of positive changes he's made and he's a top bloke. But some of the coaching and tactical decisions during his reign have been appalling. He's got some right and those have been treated with some insane OTT praise. But by-and-large, we are all over the place all too often.
I've been behind him until today, final straw for me.

Sevilla annoyed me when he refused to mix it up with Ighalo for 20 minutes but he had at least 60 minutes to see we needed a system change and players swap and the best he did left Pogba on the field.

I'm furious tonight.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Beat Nagelsmann 5 nil. A manager you'd probably want. Beat Tuchel twice. Another one you'd want no doubt. Beat Pep 3 times in a season. Beat Lampard 3 times. Beat Jose. First team to take any pts off Liverpool last year.

How that all happen then?

There's a cancer at this club. Poch or whoever takes over next will go the exact same way.
Ole's issues isnt that he can't win big games. It's that his good moments are sandwiched between prolonged patches of bad form. You being reduced to isolated examples is pointing to this.

Robbie Boy

I've been behind him until today, final straw for me.

Sevilla annoyed me when he refused to mix it up with Ighalo for 20 minutes but he had at least 60 minutes to see we needed a system change and players swap and the best he did left Pogba on the field.

I'm furious tonight.
I'm livid with this and the Chelsea result as I think 4 points was the absolute minimum we should have taken. I'm really pissed off tonight as that game today was a disgrace.

I'm still somewhere in the middle with him but I'm losing patience.

Amir

If only Poch bothered coaching in a league such as Norway.

As for our Woodward, yes, he is the real problem. Partly because he's getting the coaches he's appointing wrong. Current one included.

Robbie Boy

Anytime the heat is on Ole the Woodward out chat starts. Yes he's naff and there's threads to discuss him. But the two aren't mutually exclusive and he has no bearing on some of the shite served up by Ole.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole's issues isnt that he can't win big games. It's that his good moments are sandwiched between prolonged patches of bad form. You being reduced to isolated examples is pointing to this.
This team isn't good enough to win league titles. Teams who aren't good enough to win titles go through bad spells of form.

He's had 1 full season and he finished 3rd. He couldn't have done any more.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This team isn't good enough to win league titles. Teams who aren't good enough to win titles go through bad spells of form.

This team is actually a lot better than what Ole shows, and its a whole lot better than getting 7 points from 6 games.

We aren't mentioning titles, we are looking at ourselves. 7 points in 6 points isnt even mediocre. It's dogshite.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If only Poch bothered coaching in a league such as Norway.

As for our Woodward, yes, he is the real problem. Partly because he's getting the coaches he's appointing wrong. Current one included.
So who do you want then? Easy to criticise the current boss. Who is the answer then? Put your money where your mouth is.

Jose was the most successful coach we have ever appointed (as Fergie hadn't won too much when he came) and he wasn't good enough. CL winning coach LVG wasnt good enough. 12 seasoned PL proven Moyes wasnt.

Most fans want Poch. Loads of Spurs fans wanted him gone before he got the boot. Not good enough for a nothing club and not good enough for Daniel Levy but the man to save United? Not having it.

Mainoldo

15th. Are we 15th bad or just badly managed why we have no stability?

Mainoldo

So who do you want then? Easy to criticise the current boss. Who is the answer then? Put your money where your mouth is.

Jose was the most successful coach we have ever appointed (as Fergie hadn't won too much when he came) and he wasn't good enough. CL winning coach LVG wasnt good enough. 12 seasoned PL proven Moyes wasnt.

Most fans want Poch. Loads of Spurs fans wanted him gone before he got the boot. Not good enough for a nothing club and not good enough for Daniel Levy but the man to save United? Not having it.
Ole is the 17th worst manager in the league. So pick one above him. Your talking like It’s a hard job to replace him. I mean next you will be telling me who do we want instead of Dan James.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This team is actually a lot better than what Ole shows, and its a whole lot better than getting 7 points from 6 games.

We aren't mentioning titles, we are looking at ourselves. 7 points in 6 points isnt even mediocre. It's dogshite.
Been a poor start no question. However we have beaten two of the best teams in Europe with two of the most fancied managers.

izec

Anytime the heat is on Ole the Woodward out chat starts. Yes he's naff and there's threads to discuss him. But the two aren't mutually exclusive and he has no bearing on some of the shite served up by Ole.
It is just the Ole guys blaming someone else to keep the heat from Ole. Both are out of their depth, but realistically, getting rid of Ed is difficult. Replacing the out of depth manager is easier.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole is the 17th worst manager in the league. So pick one above him. Your talking like It’s a hard job to replace him. I mean next you will be telling me who do we want instead of Dan James.
Came 3rd like 3 months ago pal or did I dream it?

Then went into a window wanting Grealish n Sancho and was given DVB who let's be honest he clearly didn't ask for or he'd be playing him every game. And got a has been striker on deadline day as a panic buy.

Pav1878

Who would we bring in if Ole goes?

The shine has been taken off Nagelsmann for many, and it seems only Allegro and Poch are big names available, whilst, up and coming mangers like Rose, Nagelsmann, Ten Hag etc are not available.

I'm not Ole in or Ole out, I want him to do well but if he isn't getting results or consistently good performances out of the players then he has to go. The buck stops with Ole and he has to take responsibility for that.

But I just can't see who we bring in

Robbie Boy

It is just the Ole guys blaming someone else to keep the heat from Ole. Both are out of their depth, but realistically, getting rid of Ed is difficult. Replacing the out of depth manager is easier.
Aye, that's absolutely it.

As I said, I'm somewhere in the middle but quickly losing patience. I just can't stand the plethora of excuses and mental gymnastics to defend him.

PoTMS

For the first time in a really long time, we have the third best squad in the league. Third is par for the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.