Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manunited1919

Sometimes, there is only one club in for a player. For instance, Roma wanted to create an auction for Salah, but Liverpool was the only club interested.

Also, United can still pay more, but this could result in recruiting mercenaries, who are more interested in the money than anything else (why else would Sanchez join United over Pep?).
Sanchez is a bad example of a mercenary. He was a disaster signing for us, but the one thing you can’t say about him is that he doesn’t try. He tries and works hard, it’s just that his speed is gone for playing in the wings, and he never adapted to our style of play.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
But the very same comments were being said under the last manager, and the one before that! So we keep going through international renowned managers who require instant success and need to spend, spend, spend. It's better to use OGS to remove the deadwood, and start a rebuild that won't cost as much as he doesn't want to spend for the sake of spending. We just need patience, if you sack the manager, it all goes back to zero again and we start complaining about the next manager because there is no instant success.
Not sure talking sense will get you far on here mate. ;)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
But the very same comments were being said under the last manager, and the one before that! So we keep going through international renowned managers who require instant success and need to spend, spend, spend. It's better to use OGS to remove the deadwood, and start a rebuild that won't cost as much as he doesn't want to spend for the sake of spending. We just need patience, if you sack the manager, it all goes back to zero again and we start complaining about the next manager because there is no instant success.
Spend spend spend... oh the irony.

Your argument is that he's good but needs to have his own sets of starting xi by giving him more to spend in january?

Dont spend for the sake of spending? This the new sets of excuse for him?

C'est Moi Cantona

That's only any good if we don't fall apart doing it, we surely have keep a certain standard if this new approach rebuild is genuine, which I highly doubt it is, after all how can we possibly attract the sort of players we need on the back of finishing mid table.

I think the issue is that if the club really about to back Ole through thick and thin, which again I highly doubt, then why are they doing with the least qualified manager we've had post Fergie, it would make very little sense, other than Ole been less likely to complain than the rest, and as you allude to him been a cheaper option, which does not benefit anyone who cares about the club.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Assuming that we don't get involved in a relegation battle, is finishing midtable under Ole really worse than bringing in an interim manager and finishing, let's say, 6th?

Personally I would prefer Ole and midtable to another manager and 6th if I'm honest. Especially if Ole is allowed to continue to build the squad in accordance with his transfer policy that we saw in the last window.

I mean, anywhere between the relegation zone and top four is pretty much indifferent to me. I see no point in finishing 5th or 6th. In fact, 7th is preferable because then there's no EL.

We are 12th in the table right now. Would you honestly prefer to finish 6th? I know I wouldn't. I would prefer to finish 12th and for Ole to continue to build the squad and a decision on his future as the manager to be taken further down the road.
The thing about sacking ole isnt about where we finish. This season is toasted anyway.

But more on letting a clueless manager runs for 3 years and assembling a new squad. You dont want that to happen under a clueless manager.

Our form for 30 games is bottom table, we're not talking about 3 months here. Ole has been here for almost 12 months and we dont see any sign of tactics at all.

If you cant even formulate how you want to play and make your player understand it in 12 months, giving him a new xi and 3 years will not change anything. You need good player to challange city, but you dont need a super xi to create a functioning team. I won't blame him if we finished 5th or 6th, but we're lower table material here

berbasloth4

Can you name one club that has done something as stupid as that? Give an underperforming manager 2-3 more years, just in case he may be on to something. There is a reason it does not happen at any other big club - it is a strategy that does not make sense.

Pretty funny how the general opinion of LVG and Jose on here was that the players were much better than our performances and results were showing. And now it's completely opposite. The players are all trash and the managerial position apparently does not matter that much anyway. All that coming from fans of the club that had the best manager of all time for 27 years!
Man United did. Sir Alex was given time to build a time to make his stamp. its ok at other clubs to swap managers about because most have basis of a good side there. We dont!!! There isnt a player in our squad who would have go on a fergie era side. We have had two managers try bring in their own players and now we have clusterfeck of shite.
I am 30 and have only known United winning and being the best this is hard seeing the struggle but it is going to take more that swapping managers for an upturn

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Man United did. Sir Alex was given time to build a time to make his stamp. its ok at other clubs to swap managers about because most have basis of a good side there. We dont!!! There isnt a player in our squad who would have go on a fergie era side. We have had two managers try bring in their own players and now we have clusterfeck of shite.
I am 30 and have only known United winning and being the best this is hard seeing the struggle but it is going to take more that swapping managers for an upturn
Young saf won European cup wiht fecking aberdeen.

Young ole got Cardiff relegated

Mr. Meeseeks

At this point it is abundantly clear that our problems have been elsewhere. We have had a complete novice running the football side of the biggest club in England for half a decade. No one respected his football expertise before he was hired and he has only gone on to tarnish that reputation with every single decision he has made. The situation is quickly becoming untenable for him. I hope he is being found out at last.

Changing managers again only papers over the cracks again.

fergiesarmy1

[QUOTE="Mr. Meeseeks, post: 24818014, member: 58978]

Changing managers again only papers over the cracks again.[/QUOTE]

This is what I think stops him from doing it, he would be admitting another mistakes. 3 strikes and your out if we are not blaming for Moyes?

DoomSlayer

I think when the inevitable thrashing by Liverpool comes, Ole will 100% deserve the sack. But I like and respect him too much, and can't make myself to change the vote because it feels like we are putting all the blame on him like this, whereas the truth is totally different.

Greck

I think when the inevitable thrashing by Liverpool comes, Ole will 100% deserve the sack. But I like and respect him too much, and can't make myself to change the vote because it feels like we are putting all the blame on him like this, whereas the truth is totally different.
I don't think we get thrashed. This lot always find a way to look equal to big teams in these games. They just can't bring it week in week out

fergiesarmy1

I don't think we get thrashed. This lot always find a way to look equal to big teams in these games. They just can't bring it week in week out
Had more faith in the 80s teams to raise a game against the enemy than this lot, not many of these strike me as having balls for a fight.

Greck

Had more faith in the 80s teams to raise a game against the enemy than this lot, not many of these strike me as having balls for a fight.
Feel like you never miss a chance to lower expectations. Call it luck or game raising scrubbery but we haven't been getting outclassed in big games even with Ole

berbasloth4

Young saf won European cup wiht fecking aberdeen.

Young ole got Cardiff relegated
Did solskjaer not win every league title in moldes history?

cardiff were goners before they came up not right to gage on that.

mourinho and van gaal were getting better result but not playing the football.

solskjaer is trying to get the united football back but doesnt have the quality or results.

we have probably only had two successful managers in our history and both of them where given time to do things there way.

its ok for real madrid barcelona bayern etc to swap managers because they have people upstairs who buy and sell players etc. we dont. If you take out de gea we dont have any other world class players.

fergiesarmy1

Feel like you never miss a chance to lower expectations. Call it luck or game raising scrubbery but we haven't been getting outclassed in big games even with Ole
Wasn’t my intention, not sure where I’ve offended your sensibilities unless your a pogbaista then ok. I’m just saying we never layed down in the 80s in the big games. How many bad defeats can you think of since fergie left? Too many that I don’t want to type up.

fergiesarmy1

Did solskjaer not win every league title in moldes history?

cardiff were goners before they came up not right to gage on that.

mourinho and van gaal were getting better result but not playing the football.

solskjaer is trying to get the united football back but doesnt have the quality or results.

we have probably only had two successful managers in our history and both of them where given time to do things there way.

its ok for real madrid barcelona bayern etc to swap managers because they have people upstairs who buy and sell players etc. we dont. If you take out de gea we dont have any other world class players.
Your taking a risk there pal, we have pogba!

Isn’t expected to defend
Isn’t expected to attack
Isn’t expected to score

But he’s world class on paper.

Greck

Wasn’t my intention, not sure where I’ve offended your sensibilities unless your a pogbaista then ok. I’m just saying we never layed down in the 80s in the big games. How many bad defeats can you think of since fergie left? Too many that I don’t want to type up.
Nah not offended in the slightest. Dont even know how Pogba factors into the topic. I'm saying the predictions that we get thrashed will be proven wrong.

berbasloth4

Your taking a risk there pal, we have pogba!

Isn’t expected to defend
Isn’t expected to attack
Isn’t expected to score

But he’s world class on paper.
Sure he is rate 88 or something on fifa isnt he - world class

our standards have majorly dropped.

veron and forlan were deemed not good enough for us. if they were playing now theyd be out best players

fergiesarmy1

Nah not offended in the slightest. Dont even know how Pogba factors into the topic. I'm saying the predictions that we get thrashed will be proven wrong.
Obviously hope so too, apart from my dislike of Pogba mainly due to the effect he’s had on some of our so called fans I want nothing but the best for us, not sure where you have seen me post differently to that desired outcome.

CR1

So that’s all there is to management then?
Pff, that sounds easy, signing the most expensive CB in football history, the best available RB in the PL and some kid from the championship?
That’s all there is to it to be managing Manchester United and being paid 7.5m a year? I can do it too, hell, most of the caf could’ve made these transfer decisions.

I doubt be would be looking any worse with one of us in charge instead of Ole.
If it's so easy, then why have the vast majority of all signings since SAF retired turned out unsuccessful?

Ole is the first manager since SAF with a clear transfer strategy that rhymes well with Man Utd's overall philosophy.

You have to set a president of progression. Ole lasting a season won’t do that. An interim would at least give the players hope things are going to change.
Yes but an interim manager coming in brings its own potential issues. For example, which players would sign for us in January knowing that the manager who signs them won't be there in X amount of time and will be replaced by someone who might not rate them? If Ole has a chance of getting players like Håland, McGinn and others in January that's a strong argument in sticking with him IMO. As long as we stay out of the relegation zone of course.

If we were clearly on the cusp of something, and just needed the right players slotted in, then ever so slightly perhaps to the coming 12th this season option.

But the truth is we haven't got any sign he's got a masterplan.

A good manager may take time to get the players he needs in, but should at least show some sign he's got something. Lampard has taken Chelsea further down the road in 2months than Ole has in a year now. Without any signings, and with Chelsea losing their main star.

Chelsea seem to have a real knack in never standing still for too long.
Sure, and maybe Ole isn't the long term manager. But to me that isn't a conclusive argument that he should be sacked in favor of another interim manager who would bring his own philosophy only to leave in X amount of months. And I don't trust the board to find the right long term manager straight away.

There is a point you are missing here. His style of play is terrible and the way he's building the squad with will take us nowhere. That's why he should be sacked regardless of the results. He had shown nothing to prove we are moving on the right track. Things will probably get worse rather than better.
There is a point you're missing. Man Utd have already sacked the last three managers and things have been getting worse and worse. Who's to say they won't get even worse if the fourth manager is sacked as well? I agree we seemingly are not moving forwards and I think Ole has to change many things ranging from the formation, tactics and possibly training sessions etc as well. But this squad needed at least three more signings than it got in the last window. Again, I don't care for 5th or 6th place so...

The thing about sacking ole isnt about where we finish. This season is toasted anyway.

But more on letting a clueless manager runs for 3 years and assembling a new squad. You dont want that to happen under a clueless manager.

Our form for 30 games is bottom table, we're not talking about 3 months here. Ole has been here for almost 12 months and we dont see any sign of tactics at all.

If you cant even formulate how you want to play and make your player understand it in 12 months, giving him a new xi and 3 years will not change anything. You need good player to challange city, but you dont need a super xi to create a functioning team. I won't blame him if we finished 5th or 6th, but we're lower table material here
I'm not saying Ole should be allowed to stay for that long, necessarily. I'm saying don't sack him right this minute. See how the next few games go. We also still haven't even got a DOF yet, for example. Even identifying a suitable interim takes time. I disagree about new players, I think three new signings could transform this team, especially if Ole heeds some of the advice on here about tactics etc and starts playing like when he first came in again. And also, like I said, I genuinely don't care for finishing 5th or 6th. I care about long term progress.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Most teams relegated from the premiership to the championship don’t have a good start in that league. We may find this out :lol:
I must be really bored, (actually I'm not, I just strangely like doing things like this), here's some completely unnecessary analysis. 10 seasons of newly relegated teams to the Championship and their record after 7 games which was when Ole was sacked by Cardiff.

Team/Season/GD/Points

QPR 13/14 +5 17
Norwich 14/15 +10 16
Newcastle 16/17 +12 15
West Ham 11/12 +8 14
Blackburn 12/13 +4 14
Burnley 15/16 +3 14
Norwich 16/17 +3 14
Hull 15/16 +5 13
Wolves 12/13 +4 13
Blackpool 11/12 +3 12
Reading 13/14 +2 12
Swansea 18/19 +2 12
West Brom 18/19 +6 11
Fulham 19/20 +5 11
Middlesborough 17/18 +4 11
Wigan 13/14 +4 11
Burnley 10/11 +3 11
QPR 15/16 +1 11
Bolton 12/13 -1 10
Cardiff 19/20 -2 9
Cardiff 14/15 -1 8
Birmingham 11/12 -2 8
Hull 10/11 -4 8
Villa 16/17 0 7
Hull 17/18 -1 7
Stoke 18/19 -4 6
Sunderland 17/18 -5 5
Portsmouth 10/11 -9 2
Huddersfield 19/20 -8 1
Fulham 14/15 -12 1

21st out of 30.

Last edited:

fergiesarmy1

I must be really bored, going to do some completely unnecessary analysis. 10 seasons of newly relegated teams to the Championship and their record after 7 games which was when Ole was sacked by Cardiff.

Team/Season/GD/Points

QPR 13/14 +5 17
Norwich 14/15 +10 16
Newcastle 16/17 +12 15
West Ham 11/12 +8 14
Blackburn 12/13 +4 14
Burnley 15/16 +3 14
Norwich 16/17 +3 14
Hull 15/16 +5 13
Wolves 12/13 +4 13
Blackpool 11/12 +3 12
Reading 13/14 +2 12
Swansea 18/19 +2 12
West Brom 18/19 +6 11
Fulham 19/20 +5 11
Middlesborough 17/18 +4 11
Wigan 13/14 +4 11
Burnley 10/11 +3 11
QPR 15/16 +1 11
Bolton 12/13 -1 10
Cardiff 19/20 -2 9
Cardiff 14/15 -1 8
Birmingham 11/12 -2 8
Hull 10/11 -4 8
Villa 16/17 0 7
Hull 17/18 -1 7
Stoke 18/19 -4 6
Sunderland 17/18 -5 5
Portsmouth 10/11 -9 2
Huddersfield 19/20 -8 1
Fulham 14/15 -12 1

21st out of 30.
Haha sorry dude that wasn’t my intention, but it’s cardiff. There is a different level of expectation too. How many seasons have they spent in the premiership (without your detailed research and my failing memory I’m gonna say one)

Some of the better performing teams have been a bit more yo-yo

el3mel

There is a point you're missing. Man Utd have already sacked the last three managers and things have been getting worse and worse. Who's to say they won't get even worse if the fourth manager is sacked as well? I agree we seemingly are not moving forwards and I think Ole has to change many things ranging from the formation, tactics and possibly training sessions etc as well. But this squad needed at least three more signings than it got in the last window. Again, I don't care for 5th or 6th place so...
What makes any kind of difference how many managers we sacked before him if it's too obvious he's as a manager isn't doing his job, has no clear vision or style, his tactical set up is beyond terrible and he can't get the players to perform. We need signings but Ole shouldn't be the manager managing them, as he has shown nothing so far to indicate he's building for anything worthy of being patient. Fans would have been more patient if there's a clear style tried to be implemented on the pitch even if the results aren't great and it just misses few signings here and there for everything to click, like say, Chelsea. You never get this watching United.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I think in an ideal world Ole will get all the time he needs and he needs at least 4 more transfer windows if the calamity of the last one is anything to go by. Inevitably though his future will be decided by results. While he may have a buffer in terns of expectations for this season compared to previous ones I think if we're lower then 10th by Christmas he'll be gone. Not his fault either. The fall of our beloved club has been swift and painful and worst of all those in positions of power couldn't care less. It's all about the benjamins.

fergiesarmy1

What makes any kind of difference how many managers we sacked before him if it's too obvious he's as a manager isn't doing his job, has no clear vision or style, his tactical set up is beyond terrible and he can't get the players to perform. We need signings but Ole shouldn't be the manager managing them, as he has shown nothing so far to indicate he's building for anything worthy of being patient. Fans would have been more patient if there's a clear style tried to be implemented on the pitch even if the results aren't great and it just misses few signings here and there for everything to click, like say, Chelsea. You never get this watching United.
Most fans are being patient maybe just you and a few internet warriors, the problems are much bigger.

buckooo1978

I think in an ideal world Ole will get all the time he needs and he needs at least 4 more transfer windows if the calamity of the last one is anything to go by. Inevitably though his future will be decided by results. While he may have a buffer in terns of expectations for this season compared to previous ones I think if we're lower then 10th by Christmas he'll be gone. Not his fault either. The fall of our beloved club has been swift and painful and worst of all those in positions of power couldn't care less. It's all about the benjamins.
not his fault??

how do you explain us struggling in games against Rochdale, Astana etc

Newcastle lost 5 nil to Leicester and we barely lay a glove on them the next week

Our footballers look as bad as they've ever looked in their careers

we have no semblance of a tactical approach

our pre-season has resulted in umpteen muscle injuries

The Glazers and Woodward are obviously the common denominator for our failure but Ole isnt fit to manage Manchester United

we will be lucky to be 10th the way this team of internationals have performed under Ole

fergiesarmy1

not his fault??

Newcastle lost 5 nil to Leicester and we barely lay a glove on them the next week

The Glazers and Woodward are obviously the common denominator for our failure but Ole isnt fit to manage Manchester United

we will be lucky to be 10th the way this team of internationals have performed under Ole
The players themselves to your first question, a non coached team of our expensively and well paid squad should be able to manage that.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
not his fault??

I think we're seeing the harsh reality of how shit this squad truly is. We were failing with a team that had Herrera, Lukaku et al and we weakened the squad in the summer - strengthened the defense and weakened the team. Our squad is equalled or bettered by Wolves, Leicester, Everton, maybe even West Ham as well as the usual top 5. Those games you mentioned - yes we were crap, but Ole was playing an even weaker team against them and as for Newcastle remember they beat us by the same scoreline under Jose. Confidence is dropping and performances are not great but he's working with what he's got which isn't a lot. The fact that we're relying on the likes of Matic, Fred, Mata to solve our problems speaks volumes about the state of our squad.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Exactly. The reason I'm a United supporter was because of the 79 fa cup final. As you know we were 2-0 down with about 5 minutes to go then we scored 2 in 2 minutes to equalise. Never forget that commentator for the equaliser. Mcilroy is through, Mcilroy is through, Mcilroy has done it. Didn't even care that Alan Sunderland scored in the last minute to win it for Arsenil. I was hooked on United for that fighting spirit. Football wasn't that great for a long time around then but there were always matches that made you think, feck yeh, this is my team and the players wore their hearts on there sleeves. Not like this shower of shite I've been watching for the last years. Doesn't matter if it takes us another 10 years to get back to the top. We'll still be here . Just wish it didn't feel like I was getting my finger nails pulled out though. :lol:

Anyone who hasn't seen that final give it a glimpse. That last 5 minutes gets the old goose bumps going.

CR1

Yes you have a point, but if he is to get the sack, I think the timing of it is crucial. Right now reports are that the players are still behind him. If he is sacked right now and the players don't like the new interim manager for some reason and therefore don't respond to him, then we really could get involved in the relegation zone. That's why I think it's better to wait a few more matches, until he has more or less completely lost the players. If in X amount of matches the relegation zone lingers then yes a change of manager is a must. But if midtable or maybe even higher seems more likely then we should probably hold off the sack. Personally I still back him, mainly because I don't think he was backed enough in the transfer window and also because I don't care for 5th or 6th. Plus I think he has a good transfer policy and has delivered the best football since SAF*s retirement during those first few months. But I see your point, performances and results will have to change, I just want to wait a bit longer to see if they do and I doubt they have an interim lined up anyway.

el3mel

Most fans are being patient maybe just you and a few internet warriors, the problems are much bigger.
Just because there're more problems at the club doesn't mean Ole himself isn't a major problem on its own and he's terrible in his job. Period. I don't get how many of you who defend him do not get this point. Ed is shite at his job, ok, but Ole is as shite as him at his job or even shitter.

fergiesarmy1

Exactly. The reason I'm a United supporter was because of the 79 fa cup final. As you know we were 2-0 down with about 5 minutes to go then we scored 2 in 2 minutes to equalise. Never forget that commentator for the equaliser. Mcilroy is through, Mcilroy is through, Mcilroy has done it. Didn't even care that Alan Sunderland scored in the last minute to win it for Arsenil. I was hooked on United for that fighting spirit. Football wasn't that great for a long time around then but there were always matches that made you think, feck yeh, this is my team and the players wore their hearts on there sleeves. Not like this shower of shite I've been watching for the last years. Doesn't matter if it takes us another 10 years to get back to the top. We'll still be here . Just wish it didn't feel like I was getting my finger nails pulled out though. :lol:

Anyone who hasn't seen that final give it a glimpse. That last 5 minutes gets the old goose bumps going.
Brilliant, the 85 semi final saga against Liverpool also has to be a must watch. Great goals from 2 legends of the club.

fergiesarmy1

Just because there're more problems at the club doesn't mean Ole himself isn't a major problem on its own and he's terrible in his job. Period. I don't get how many of you who defend him do not get this point. Ed is shite at his job, ok, but Ole is as shite as him at his job or even shitter.
I understand your arguments against Ole and it is hard to defend at this point but replacing him isn’t the answer in my and most people I know opinion due to the fact the next guy will fail in all likelihood.

It’s time to stick or twist and let the cards fall where they may.

I’m sticking.

el3mel

I understand your arguments against Ole and it is hard to defend at this point but replacing him isn’t the answer in my and most people I know opinion due to the fact the next guy will fail in all likelihood.

It’s time to stick or twist and let the cards fall where they may.

I’m sticking.
Well. no one has said here either that sacking him alone would magically solve all our problems. The majority are critical of both him, Woodward and players, and you'll see them slaughtering each of them in their own thread. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

fergiesarmy1

Well. no one has said here either that sacking him alone would magically solve all our problems. The majority are critical of both him, Woodward and players, and you'll see them slaughtering each of them in their own thread. These things aren't mutually exclusive.
So your agreeing sacking Ole is not going to solve the problems then?

el3mel

So your agreeing sacking Ole is not going to solve the problems then?
It's not going to solve the Woodward's and squad's problems. I never said that it would, nor I ever said we would become world beaters after he leaves. My point is Ole is himself a problem on his own that needs solving, similar to Woodward's and Squad's ones. He's not a victim of these, but one of the many problems we had currently, and probably the easier to solve, and even with a better squad or DoF, he's not the way to go forward by any means.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The big question that should be asked when discussing Solskjaers immediate future is:
Would another manager immediately improve results with the same players available.
If so, then yeah he should probably go.
If not then it doesn't really matter either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.