Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thepinhead

Sack. He doesn’t deserve more time if continues to play Lingard, Young and this version of Rashford, as well as using Pogba as a DM. Idiotic tactics and team selection every single game, and nothing changes.

If he at least punished players for underperformance and tried to find better tactics, it could’ve been reasonable to give him time. But he doesn’t change ANYTHING. At all. The system doesn’t work and he simply doesn’t change anything whatsoever - it is not what is expected of a manager
Funny I remember people laughing at Klopp about that as well. No plan B and all that. The same with Pep really. He teaches players to play a certain way. If they can't do that then he finds someone who can. I think we should judge Ole on how he wants to play and if we like that then we should judge the individual players if they can play that way. If they can't learn to play that way we should judge the board and the scouts on how good they are in recruiting those players.

Zahed

Before Liverpool hired Klopp, did you under the sun believe that they could get to a Champs league final with Henderson, Milner and Wignaldum in midfield? Yes our players may not be good enough but what exactly has Ole done to raise their level? Absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned.
No United manager since SAF has managed to raise the levels of any of our players. They come in at top transfer fees, top wages and become deadwood....which we can't move on. Liverpool even manage to sell players that haven't played for the first team for more money than we sell first team players.

Dr. StrangeHate

This poll shows that Woody is well worth the money to the Glazers. He made the choice (Ole) that fans will stick with regardless of performance and league position, all the while drastically reducing net spend and wages.
Fellow Ole-Out voters we have to accept that the club has to get this romantic notion out of their system. "Long term managers" and "legends who get the club" are what is consuming our fan base. Few years of finishing out of the top 6 while breaking all negative records and hopefully this mentality is purged.

ottosec

I voted for sack.

Basically I don't think he offers anything beyond pretty words.

- the team is tactically clueless, 10 months and no improvements in our gameplay
- our players' confidence and motivation is at an all-time low
- he's very slow to react and make changes(which I find mindblowing, considering that he was known in his playing career as a supersub and should understand better than most that subs need time to impact the game)
- doesn't really trust youth(Greenwood scored in two consecutive games, yet he chooses to start a half-fit and grossly out of form Rashford, Gomes has barely played while poor players like Lingard or Pereira start consistently)
- has shown in the record winningless run from the end of last season that he is not a good enough motivator to pull the team out of a hole
- zero players have improved under his guidance in 10 months
- something that really annoys me, but while it's a minus, int's not necessarily his fault: his buddies, our ex-players, throw shit on our players constantly in the press to ease off the pressure on him

I understand that there are few options for a decent replacement now, but even if we get some temp manager, would it really be worse than Ole?

A temp manager could lift the player's morale, like Ole himself has done in the beginning. And would likely give youth a chance, since there would be little pressure on him.

redIndianDevil

Should never have been hired in the first place. He never would have gotten the job if we had waited until the end of last season. We could still do something with this season with a proper coach or we could at least give the next manager proper time to sort out our issues. But this all depends on us selecting a decent coach in the first place.

Kemizee

What the hell is this rubbish.

You lot wanting to keep an awful manager who wouldn’t be hired by many Championship clubs are making it worse for the club. He hasn’t created any sort of identity, it’s our worse start in 30 years, it’s boring.

I mean how clueless do you have to be to keel supporting such a shite manager?

In an era where other clubs are competing with us we need the best manager we can get. Look at Leicester and you can see they’ve hired a manager who knows what he’s doing & creating an identity quickly.

Then look at us. A total mess & the MAJORITY of fans want to keep him. It’s utterly Insane
But the United way and Legend and SAF Dynasty and knows the club and has sold some players and is a nice bloke who always smiles and has the interests of the club and there is no other manager who can do better than him. It's either him or bust cos no other manager can beat the likes of Soton, Rochdale, West Ham or Palace except Ole. We must give him 200 Millon pounds to do that. Get behind the club buddy. :)

RedRover

True I’m not even expecting much from us. The squad looks a mess and it’s going to be a struggle for top 4 but again you don’t need world class players to at least have a game plan. That’s my biggest worry, we generally look clueless.

I can take the losses if it looks like we’re on the right track. Chelsea will lose games this season, but add players to their system they will improve without a doubt.....add players to this United system I’m not sure how much better we’ll be.
I don't think its necessarily about having world class players, but players to fit a system who can do the job you want from them.

Ole may have a way he wants to play and perhaps doesn't have the players to fit it. You might then argue that he should play a different way to get the best out of what he has and that's probably a reasonable criticism. That said, if the players lack quality that won't necessarily work either.

As it stands we are struggling to create chances and therefore, to win games. On the last few performances that is as much to do with a) players lack of quality in the final third; and b) lack of depth and experience in the squad as any problem with the system.

Last night the passing was poor, the movement was poor. Players were making the wrong decisions. Maybe he just can't get enough out of them or they're confused about what they're supposed to be doing but that doesn't account for not being able to trap a football, make a five yard pass to a teammate or play with some urgency.

The biggest issue for me is despite having spent a fortune the team is full of square pegs in round holes and that goes back to my initial point about historic mismanagement and poor transfers. Case in point - having a young centre-back at left back. It does him no good and it takes away any attacking width from full back on that side. It wouldn't happen at any other top club.

USREDEVIL

Keep. This is a big rebuilding project and if it works maybe we're the dominant team in a few years. Ole's got the right idea to build using youth, passion, and hopefully getting top drawer talent. If you don't have the stomach for the rebuild maybe become a city fan or something. Sacking mid-rebuild is a terrible idea.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
That's the answer. He won't. Period. So keeping him especially with his track record at Cardiff is at best 'let's hope he becomes' beause he wasn't all that at Cardiff and he is certainly not all that here currently and can we please stop labelling fans who have seen enough of a manager to know he is taking us nowhere as rival fans who don't love the club. It's tiring. You don't love Manchester United any more than I do. We all want the best for the club. I don't give a feck if it's a club legend or not the same way I dnt care if a player who plays for us is British or homegrown. Football has moved on and become a global entity. I want the best man to manage us and take us back to the top and being sentimental with appointments of coaches and assistants will not take us there for starters
I wish folk would stop bringing up what Ole did at Cardiff, when he left United he went back to Norway so his kids could finish their education back in Norway, when he took the gig at Cardiff after being successful at Molde it was as a favour for a friend of a friend, he must have known he was on a hiding to nothing as they(Cardiff)were already doomed for relegation when he took over and it was no surprise when they went down, he stayed on against his better judgement to try and get them back up, but it didn't work out, but he wasn't helped by his Chairman selling, or trying to sell his best players - some of the best Managers of all time have had similar 'failures', but yeah let's conveniently ignore that.

KGBhoy

I voted for sack.

Basically I don't think he offers anything beyond pretty words.

- the team is tactically clueless, 10 months and no improvements in our gameplay
- our players' confidence and motivation is at an all-time low
- he's very slow to react and make changes(which I find mindblowing, considering that he was known in his playing career as a supersub and should understand better than most that subs need time to impact the game)
- doesn't really trust youth(Greenwood scored in two consecutive games, yet he chooses to start a half-fit and grossly out of form Rashford, Gomes has barely played while poor players like Lingard or Pereira start consistently)
- has shown in the record winningless run from the end of last season that he is not a good enough motivator to pull the team out of a hole
- zero players have improved under his guidance in 10 months
- something that really annoys me, but while it's a minus, int's not necessarily his fault: his buddies, our ex-players, throw shit on our players constantly in the press to ease off the pressure on him

I understand that there are few options for a decent replacement now, but even if we get some temp manager, would it really be worse than Ole?

A temp manager could lift the player's morale, like Ole himself has done in the beginning. And would likely give youth a chance, since there would be little pressure on him.
I agree with this. The issue is - we need a longer term vision. Ole was a stop gap solution and should have been just that. He's completely out of his depth now.
But who you bring is a great question. I think Allegri or Spalletti would be good.

Zen86

We’re obviously lacking quality at the moment, but for me it’s more important to establish a club where quality will come in and actually perform. That hasn’t been the case for a number of years now.

If that makes for a painful season then so be it.

Vanya

I think you've genuinely already got amnesia if you believe the bolded. I mean its evidently false both on it's historical commentary and present situation.
Why do you think that? Have we been in a situation where our squad is full of highly paid average players and the competition is as strong as it is today? I think if the barometer for success is Ferguson then we've already failed. There's no way any one will match his achievements and certainly no one will do it instantly either.

Ole is trying to repair the damage of 6 years, done at multiple levels. It will need time and patience.

ArjenIsM3

He's known for winning which would make a nice change right now.
What’s Solskjaer :lol:
Winning would make a nice change but at what cost? We're already getting the reputation of a club that plays shite football and if we get in Allegri we will only enhance that. When we finished second playing shite football under Mourinho were we happy? No. If you sack Solskjaer you have to get someone in who fits the identity of the club. Someone who wants to play attacking football. Pochettino might work though I have serious doubts about him. Peter Bosz is another since everyone on here fawns over Ajax anyway. His spell at Dortmund didn't go well but he's the one that laid the foundations for the Ten Hag Ajax side (along with Overnars and VDS) and he's the one that led them to the Europa final prior to leaving for Dortmund. Doing well with Bayer now too.

redIndianDevil

In my view Ole should only go when he is the weakest link, and he isn't at this point. He has put himself right in the line of fire to help the club and it is sad to see a lot of fans jump on his back. We can use him to successfully help build a team beyond his level of management and when he reach that point he would probably walk out the door himself. If we don't back him, he'll have no actual power and will get marginalised by Ed to the point Ole is the one taking the blame for the mess Ed has put us in.

Perspective, folks.
How do you know this for sure? Only success OGS has had with coaching is in Norway. Our players are not that bad as you make them out to be, under LvG they tried to play the possession football, this was then reverted back to park the bus and hoof it style under Mourinho. Under both these managers, we could actually see a style or tactic that our players tried. You could also say that both LvG and Mourinho didn't have the personnel that they would have liked. But under OGS I'm not seeing anything, what type of a team are we? This is my biggest concern, he has had 10 months to some coaching, we are not seeing anything.

While I want to believe in the pure heart of OGS, I'm a realist and I think any person will look at put themselves before a club they played for a long time ago, no manager is going to walkout when the money involved in sacking a manager is huge. If OGS resigns, I'll be 100% convinced of his pure heart.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am quite surprised by the result here. Had a feeling that the majority of us are fed up as we keep getting worse instead of better. A lot like myself have never been Ole in (on permanent basis) in the first place.

While everyone must be allowed to have his opinion I think there is not one single football supporter of any other club thinking that Ole might be a good fit and should have ever been considered as candidate for managing one of the biggest clubs.
He seems completely out of his depth and whenever I see his face during the games it is full of question marks not knowing how he got where he is now and what to do.

The only reason for not immediately sacking him right now is that the selection of available managers during the season is not the huge. We should start negotiating now with 2-3 fitting candidates to take over at the end of the season.
Our defense is good enough to not get relegated so that we at least can guarantee PL football next season.

Rafaeldagold

113963"]Keep. This is a big rebuilding project and if it works maybe we're the dominant team in a few years. Ole's got the right idea to build using youth, passion, and hopefully getting top drawer talent. If you don't have the stomach for the rebuild maybe become a city fan or something. Sacking mid-rebuild is a terrible idea.[/QUOTE]

What a whole load of stupid this is.

You used a lot of words with no real meaning describing Oles ‘talents’ there .

Also maybe you should go off & support a mid table team like Burnley or West Ham if you’re happy with the drivel being served up to us

fergiesarmy1

113963"]Keep. This is a big rebuilding project and if it works maybe we're the dominant team in a few years. Ole's got the right idea to build using youth, passion, and hopefully getting top drawer talent. If you don't have the stomach for the rebuild maybe become a city fan or something. Sacking mid-rebuild is a terrible idea.

Also maybe you should go off & support a mid table team like Burnley or West Ham if you’re happy with the drivel being served up to us[/QUOTE]

He’s entitled to his opinion without being told to go and support another club.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I would have loved to see him succeed but I can't see it happening now.

He stated black and white before the season that we would be fitter, run more and play with a high tempo press.

This is not what I've been seeing unless I've been watching for the wrong things.

Look at the West Ham game - we were practically playing walking football.

Rafaeldagold

We’re obviously lacking quality at the moment, but for me it’s more important to establish a club where quality will come in and actually perform. That hasn’t been the case for a number of years now.

If that makes for a painful season then so be it.
And what on earth makes you think Ole is the right man for they job?

Boring football & worse start in 30 years.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I wish folk would stop bringing up what Ole did at Cardiff, when he left United he went back to Norway so his kids could finish their education back in Norway, when he took the gig at Cardiff after being successful at Molde it was as a favour for a friend of a friend, he must have known he was on a hiding to nothing as they(Cardiff)were already doomed for relegation when he took over and it was no surprise when they went down, he stayed on against his better judgement to try and get them back up, but it didn't work out, but he wasn't helped by his Chairman selling, or trying to sell his best players - some of the best Managers of all time have had similar 'failures', but yeah let's conveniently ignore that.
Ok let’s stop bringing up Cardiff despite all of his faults at Cardiff clearly repeating themselves at United. Also yes let’s all believe that Ole took a job in the EPL in the summer, as a favour for a friend of a friend, and went in knowing he’d get relegated. Obviously had nothing to do with his crap signings, poor management, and none existent coaching .... the crap people come out with to defend a legend.

Ole’s time at Cardiff. Very similar to what’s happening at United.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...le-gunnar-solskjaers-cardiff-city-7786419.amp

Rafaeldagold

Also maybe you should go off & support a mid table team like Burnley or West Ham if you’re happy with the drivel being served up to us
He’s entitled to his opinion without being told to go and support another club.[/QUOTE]

Oh is he? So why did he tell me to go & support City then?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why sack? Have you seen Rashford?

Suedesi

He’s a good manager with £150m circa at his espousal every window. What top of the table club is going to give him that who needs a manager?

Ontop of that.. if you think United will be mid table under a manager the skill set of Allegri maybe this is why your getting writers block with Ole.
Certainly not the last couple of seasons...

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
This isn’t easy.

It’s a Catch 22 where we can’t sack him so early in his rebuilding process but at the same time we’re probably moving backwards and our results are on a all time low. Both alternatives has pros and cons but today I voted to keep him. I don’t believe in his coaching abilities but I like his approach regarding rebuilding our squad and I can see that he’s a good guy. That’s worth respect.

fergiesarmy1

He’s entitled to his opinion without being told to go and support another club.
Oh is he? So why did he tell me to go & support City then?[/QUOTE]

Ah, didn’t see that. He’s getting the sticky end of that lollipop though :lol:

Halal Jalal

If he was such a winner, why did Juve discard him in the summer?
Because he couldn't deliver the CL trophy they're so desperate for, lost two finals. Surely you'll agree that United have different objectives right now - like qualifying for CL, and stopping the freefall into midtable (or worse).

I'd prefer "progressive", "attacking" trendy manager from Bundesliga, but we can't afford to gamble and see them crumble under pressure. Allegri is by far the best option right now, while the season can still be salvaged.

Suedesi

When you take away the emotional side of it, I can't help but think he needs to walk or be let go.

There's a real underlying issue at our club that inhibits us massively, it's the kind of thing that makes posters claim 'we're not a sacking club' or 'United give managers time' as well as reference the mythical 'United way'. I can only think it comes from us struggling to come to terms with where we are in world football now and clinging onto some semblance of the past because that's when we were the undisputed heavyweight in English football. As if by standing by a manager, even if it's the wrong decision it makes us better than other clubs. It clouds every decision in sentimentality and nostalgia and is the very reason Ole was appointed in the first place - we bypassed everything that mattered (credentials) and just hired someone we liked and 'knew the club'.

Then maybe I guess there's the fear some fans have that there aren't good manager's available or they wouldn't want to come to us. Who gives a shit? We still have to try, just because we're unsure of who else could come in it certainly doesn't mean they couldn't do better than Ole and you'd assume (so long as we didn't sign a random ex player again with little coaching experience) they'd have every chance of improving us. We've retreated into our shell and it's almost as if we want to save face, so are just going to blindly stick with a coach who as no track record simply because he was a loyal player and gave us great memories.

We don't have a squad good enough to challenge for the PL, that is obvious but the squad isn't as useless as posters are making out. The players we have aren't as individually terrible as people claim, it's about finding a system to suit them and we simply haven't done that under Ole. At the moment we are fumbling our way through games under the pretence that if we had better players we'd suddenly be good again, have we not learned from our mistakes of just buying big name players and shoving them into a system that doesn't work with LVG and Mou. Take away the emotion and the fear of the unknown and I don't see how people are arguing he should stay.
That's not exactly true, the guy won 10 of his opening 12 or 13 matches if I recall. He was first in the league by points accrued and goals scored since he took over.

It was stupid to give him a contract there and then (as I pointed out and voted on the poll), but let's not rewrite history.

Rafaeldagold

This isn’t easy.

It’s a Catch 22 where we can’t sack him so early in his rebuilding process but at the same time we’re probably moving backwards and our results are on a all time low. Both alternatives has pros and cons but today I voted to keep him. I don’t believe in his coaching abilities but I like his approach regarding rebuilding our squad and I can see that he’s a good guy. That’s worth respect.
So being a good guy is a skill to become Manchester United manager now?

The reasons to keep him are become more hysterical every match that passes in our worst start in 30 years.

How about we keep him as he keeps his garden tidy or tips the paper boy well at Xmas.

Sir Scott McToMinay

This isn’t easy.

You’ve got to be kidding me.

Sterling Archer

The more I think about it, as a club legend and someone that loves the club that has watched our demise , now with an inside perspective, Ole should be vocal and clamoring for a proper footballing structure above him. He needs to put the sword to Woodwards throat here. If he's playing nice to keep his job, then I'm more inclined to see him go..

Dong Fangzhuo

Voted keep. Not been impressed with him at all so far but there's not much point in continuing to change managers on a whim with no plan in place and I don't see any obvious candidates to take over. Give him some funds to sign a couple of players in January and keep him till the end of the season and reassess if needed.

welshwingwizard

Funny I remember people laughing at Klopp about that as well. No plan B and all that. The same with Pep really. He teaches players to play a certain way. If they can't do that then he finds someone who can. I think we should judge Ole on how he wants to play and if we like that then we should judge the individual players if they can play that way. If they can't learn to play that way we should judge the board and the scouts on how good they are in recruiting those players.
But how does he want to play? Other than telling us attacking play there has been no sign of a style or coaching. Its bizarre considering how much he goes on about it. When i watch us I can't decifer how he wants us to play or how we are going to score from open play unless it is a moment of class like a wonder strike. Its not like we have a way to create opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.