Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If we are talking purely about spending money on new players, then all of our managers have been backed. Thats not the full picture though.

The fact is we had the 2nd highest wage bill in world football without the squad or the results to match. That only happens when you are recklessly backing managers, and we have suffered for it and are still suffering for it.

So when we talk about buying players for large transfer fees, then yes we have backed all of our managers. However, It is only for the last year or two that there has been any noticeable regard given to the financial health of the club, and as a consequence of that I think that Ole could claim that he more than the others has had his plans impacted by this.

Karlos PFC

Yes, first full season so you are comparing the 2 saying Ole got more money to spend. He got backed just enough and produced the results, got top 4 which was the aim. Jose finished 6th in his first full season.

It isnt the managers job to sell players? So it it his job to buy players? what rubbish are you chatting about? So Ole decided to pay £80m for Maguire himself?

So, if the club sells players for £300m and buys players for £100m the manager has been backed? Are you so naive? Talking about my post being laughable.

You are so far Ole out that you are forming narratives just to suit you.
Ole didnt pay 80m for a mediocre defender like Maguire BUT he demanded him, as Mourinho was demanding 28 year old wingers.
Mourinho finished 6th with the same total of points as Ole plus two cups, so let that sink in.

I don't give a shit about Jose as I don't give a shit about Ole (as a manager). I only care about United and from what I've seen Jose delivered 2 cups in his first year and Ole has been in the wheel for almost 2 years and we needed a penalty to win the mighty Copenhagen.

Mate, teams are full on huge corporates, they dont rely on a manager to buy or sell players. There is a clear and complete structure behind them. You think that Manchester United is just the players, coaches and the CEO ?

How old are you? Real life isn't Football Manager mate.

romufc

Ole didnt pay 80m for a mediocre defender like Maguire BUT he demanded him, as Mourinho was demanding 28 year old wingers.
Mourinho finished 6th with the same total of points as Ole plus two cups, so let that sink in.

I don't give a shit about Jose as I don't give a shit about Ole (as a manager). I only care about United and from what I've seen Jose delivered 2 cups in his first year and Ole has been in the wheel for almost 2 years and we needed a penalty to win the mighty Copenhagen.

Mate, teams are full on huge corporates, they dont rely on a manager to buy or sell players. There is a clear and complete structure behind them. You think that Manchester United is just the players, coaches and the CEO ?

Yes, and he was told to trim the squad, he took a risk on playing Martial, Greenwood, Rashford as our forwards, something that Jose wouldn't do. Ole wanted a creative midfielder too in the summer and didnt get one and a backup striker.

Jose then threw his toys out the pram, something Ole didnt do. Jose turned the club environment into a toxic one... let that sink in.

So now total points is counted is it? So I guess you would strip Fergie of all the league titles because he didnt get 92 points like the last 4 titles have been?

Okay I am glad you brought this up, so penalties dont count?

Did you see how we got to the final in Jose's season? We beat Rostov by 1 goal, Celta Vigo by 1 goal, Anderlecht by 1 goal after extra time, so don't act as if we Blitz teams into the final.

My age doesnt matter, because it is clear you are failing to grasp football, the points are not compared to other seasons, it is based on the current campaign. Jose is a serial winner, if you are happy to win the league cup and Europa finish 6th then that is fine.

I want to see my club finish top 4 minimum.

Have I said that it is the manager only? So you blame the manager for having got £150m in the summer but fail to comprehend he also lost a £75m striker.

rotherham_red

Erm, Jose also DEMANDED Maguire...

dirkey

We needed a penalty to win against the mighty Copenhagen .. and we needed an almighty last minute whiff to win the semi in Europa under Jose. All managers get a slice of luck. The penalty makes it sound like we didn't dominate the game and deserve to win by at least 3.

romufc

If Ole is not backed, I really do feel for him. We all know the squad isnt good enough, without a 2/3 proper transfers, how can we improve?

CIty - finished 2nd and 18 points behind Liverpool - Signed 2 players
Chelsea - Finished level points with us - Signed 2 players, bids gone in for Rice, and negotiations with Havertz
Spurs - signed 1 player
Arsenal - Arteta's first full season and looking like they are working on a few transfers, got 1 player in.
Liverpool - Winners and have made a signing.

We barely made top 4 with the squad we have and the fans want us to kick on, what is the manager to do when he is not backed?

There is going to be a huge pressure on Ole because the rivals are all improving.

b82REZ

If Ole is not backed, I really do feel for him. We all know the squad isnt good enough, without a 2/3 proper transfers, how can we improve?

CIty - finished 2nd and 18 points behind Liverpool - Signed 2 players
Chelsea - Finished level points with us - Signed 2 players, bids gone in for Rice, and negotiations with Havertz
Spurs - signed 1 player
Arsenal - Arteta's first full season and looking like they are working on a few transfers, got 1 player in.
Liverpool - Winners and have made a signing.

We barely made top 4 with the squad we have and the fans want us to kick on, what is the manager to do when he is not backed?

There is going to be a huge pressure on Ole because the rivals are all improving.
Ole lives or dies by our business this summer.

A worry for me will be if he isn't backed fully in the market, we struggle similarly to the start of last season and are out of the title race by November but he still retains the confidence of the board.

To me that'll confirm the club are happy with only top 4 and a manager that doesn't kick up a fuss about investment.

romufc

A worry for me will be if he isn't backed fully in the market, we struggle similarly to the start of last season and are out of the title race by November but he still retains the confidence of the board.
There you go, already on the Ole out campaign. If Ole isnt backed, how can you put the blame on the manager?

When Liverpool were building, they spend money every summer not alternate summers which we look like we are doing.

b82REZ

There you go, already on the Ole out campaign. If Ole isnt backed, how can you put the blame on the manager?

When Liverpool were building, they spend money every summer not alternate summers which we look like we are doing.
Wtf? How have you got Ole out from what I said?

If we don't invest and he remains for a full season with little to no improvement my concern is simply the club are not interested in investing the funds for title challenge.

My concern is more than genuine and should be a concern for any fan of the club.

Amerifan

And yet Mourinho still came 2nd, with highest ever points score since SAF and was getting into cup finals (not semi's) and winning most of them for fun.

I love OGS and am happy he is at the club and hoping he does as well as I think he can. but this re-writing of history stinks. This agenda against Mourinho is not only tiresome but also never ever based on fact. Basically just a load of hot air.
I long ago gave up trying to inject facts into the hate JM tirades. I get it, JM is such an unlikeable individual that it’s difficult to separate fact from emotion. I for one am delighted he’s gone and Ole’s at the wheel. But denying the man’s accomplishments, or dismissing them for unrelated reasons, is silly.

On the thread topic, JM and LVG were present when the club spent a lot of money, but by even Ed’s admission our transfer business was a shambles at the time. During his tenure, JM repeatedly complained about handing in a list of five names and getting the sixth. Would his recommendations have worked out any better, without knowing the names on his lists who can say. But it does make LVG’s and JM’s purchases difficult to compare to the much more effective group we have handling transfers under Ole.

Karlos PFC

Yes, and he was told to trim the squad, he took a risk on playing Martial, Greenwood, Rashford as our forwards, something that Jose wouldn't do. Ole wanted a creative midfielder too in the summer and didnt get one and a backup striker.

Jose then threw his toys out the pram, something Ole didnt do. Jose turned the club environment into a toxic one... let that sink in.

So now total points is counted is it? So I guess you would strip Fergie of all the league titles because he didnt get 92 points like the last 4 titles have been?

Okay I am glad you brought this up, so penalties dont count?

Did you see how we got to the final in Jose's season? We beat Rostov by 1 goal, Celta Vigo by 1 goal, Anderlecht by 1 goal after extra time, so don't act as if we Blitz teams into the final.

My age doesnt matter, because it is clear you are failing to grasp football, the points are not compared to other seasons, it is based on the current campaign. Jose is a serial winner, if you are happy to win the league cup and Europa finish 6th then that is fine.

I want to see my club finish top 4 minimum.

Have I said that it is the manager only? So you blame the manager for having got £150m in the summer but fail to comprehend he also lost a £75m striker.
First of all don't believed everything that is written in the press. All this about toxic environment is pure speculation, noone knows what happens in the dressing room. The journalists have a thing with Mourinho so... If you are referring to some of the handling with Shaw etc. You are all asking from Ole to be ruthless but with Mourinho it's different?

I'll tell you again that I don't give a shit about Mou.

Second stop comparing what happened during the SAF years with now, this is not 1999 this is 2020.

I'm failing to grasp football says the guy that thinks that the manager is responsible for making transfers. :lol:

You want to see the club finish top4 minimum but even Ole said a few weeks ago that United is all about trophies (glory)
In 10, 20, 50, 100 years noone will remember the 3rd place, noone will remember if we played good or bad.

The Ole fanboyism is strong with this one

Erm, Jose also DEMANDED Maguire...
We needed a penalty to win against the mighty Copenhagen .. and we needed an almighty last minute whiff to win the semi in Europa under Jose. All managers get a slice of luck. The penalty makes it sound like we didn't dominate the game and deserve to win by at least 3.
You are totaly missing the point.

Ole's at the wheel for almost 2 years and we still scrape wins, not convincing at all. I wouldn't care if we won by a penalty, a corner or a free kick from Romero. If Bruno is out, injured or whatever we barely create chances and that is absolutely on Ole. If Perreira or Lingard or whoever can't be that no10, then don't play with a no10.

Don't start about fatigue and things like that cause all the teams have it, Man City absolutely destroyed Real Madrid so that's that.

Zen86

I'm failing to grasp football says the guy that thinks that the manager is responsible for making transfers. :lol:
The manager does effectively make the transfers at Manchester United. See our record with Mourinho, Van Gaal, and Moyes as reference.

Dve

First of all don't believed everything that is written in the press. All this about toxic environment is pure speculation, noone knows what happens in the dressing room. The journalists have a thing with Mourinho so... If you are referring to some of the handling with Shaw etc. You are all asking from Ole to be ruthless but with Mourinho it's different?

Second stop comparing what happened during the SAF years with now, this is not 1999 this is 2020.

You want to see the club finish top4 minimum but even Ole said a few weeks ago that United is all about trophies (glory)
In 10, 20, 50, 100 years noone will remember the 3rd place, noone will remember if we played good or bad.

You are totaly missing the point.

Ole's at the wheel for almost 2 years and we still scrape wins, not convincing at all. I wouldn't care if we won by a penalty, a corner or a free kick from Romero. If Bruno is out, injured or whatever we barely create chances and that is absolutely on Ole. If Perreira or Lingard or whoever can't be that no10, then don't play with a no10.

Don't start about fatigue and things like that cause all the teams have it, Man City absolutely destroyed Real Madrid so that's that.
I didn´t know Bruno has been out injured. Neither did I know Ole brought in Pereira or Lingard. But hey, I´m sure it´s absolutely on Ole anyway.

Aresma7

You said it, not me. You can continue posturing all you like. If your only answer is to ask me to provide mine then it paints a pretty strong picture. I've asked you, quite politely, to provide these facts and stats three times now. I think it's become abundantly clear you don't have them. Is that a fair assumption?

That wasn't my evidence of our improvement. I would think the records we've broke, the goals we've scored, the higher finishing position, the 18 less goals we've conceded, having the most clean sheets in Europe, losing only once in 24 games, going 14 games unbeaten in the league, reaching 3 semi finals, beating Chelsea and City 3 times in season (first manager ever to do that to pep btw) and the improvement in individual players, along with the vast improvement in squad moral and the very clear direction we are going in, not to mention having the youngest squad in the league with the most academy players in Europe, are all pretty good markers of how far we've come. Let's not forget this is Ole's first full season and the mess our squad was in when he took over.

And they'd also understand that removing context to those numbers and comparing them with entirely different variables, is not a good way to analyze data. Yet here we are, with you attempting to say points vs points is a better comparable than where the team actually finished. It's not only entirely flawed, it's pretty desperate.

Again, nonsense. We've scored some great team goals.

Yes, the eye test. No only do the stats stack up heavily in Oles favour, not only are be breaking records and holding enviable form, we've also looked very, very good. Which is why you have a whole host of neutrals and fans alike, whom have been very critical of us over the years now singing our praises. You are very much in the minority. When posters can't even give credit for that without forcing in a weak caveat, then we know where there agendas stand.
This is absolutely beautiful. What a response. All the Ole criticizing members should read this. And start enjoying the ride.

Skills

Snitch
Yes if we sign Sancho then one can say he has been the most backed but right now he is not the most backed. He has been backed, no doubt but Jose and van gaal were also backed and their signings were not that successful.

Also, considering people loved bringing net spend argument for Klopp, it has to be said we sold Lukaku for 70 odd million and also some other players. So his net spend is much less than Jose or van gaal.
Is it?

We sold Schneiderlin and Delay in Mourinho's first season getting about £45m back for them.

SAFMUTD

There should be an intermediate choice in the poll. Something like he earned an extra year, lets evaluate him again next summer. Both choices are so defenitive that I dont agree with none, I dont want him sacked asap but I dont think we should back him all the way to the rebuild, that only god knows how long it will take, neither.

Paul_Scholes18

There should be an intermediate choice in the poll. Something like he earned an extra year, lets evaluate him again next summer. Both choices are so defenitive that I dont agree with none, I dont want him sacked asap but I dont think we should back him all the way to the rebuild, that only god knows how long it will take, neither.
Yeah need more options for sure.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is absolutely beautiful. What a response. All the Ole criticizing members should read this. And start enjoying the ride.
I'd rather they found another team to support, as they are not very good at supporting Manchester United, which is what a supporter should do!

Last edited:

AshRK

Is it?

We sold Schneiderlin and Delay in Mourinho's first season getting about £45m back for them.
Doesn't make difference as the original point made by some poster that Ole was backed more than Jose which is not completely true. Not saying Ole is not backed but Jose and Van gaal received great backing by the board.

Paul_Scholes18

Why add options?

76.4 to 23.6 is fairly definitive if you ask me.
Because it is interesting to see what people really think. I don't think he is a top manager and I think we should try to get one soon.
Although given everything that happens and no real pre season then I think we should give him this season to see what he can do.

Skills

Snitch
Doesn't make difference as the original point made by some poster that Ole was backed more than Jose which is not completely true. Not saying Ole is not backed but Jose and Van gaal received great backing by the board.
All of our managers have been backed. If we'd have told them to feck off more often, we might have wasted less money.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You said it, not me. You can continue posturing all you like. If your only answer is to ask me to provide mine then it paints a pretty strong picture. I've asked you, quite politely, to provide these facts and stats three times now. I think it's become abundantly clear you don't have them. Is that a fair assumption?

That wasn't my evidence of our improvement. I would think the records we've broke, the goals we've scored, the higher finishing position, the 18 less goals we've conceded, having the most clean sheets in Europe, losing only once in 24 games, going 14 games unbeaten in the league, reaching 3 semi finals, beating Chelsea and City 3 times in season (first manager ever to do that to pep btw) and the improvement in individual players, along with the vast improvement in squad moral and the very clear direction we are going in, not to mention having the youngest squad in the league with the most academy players in Europe, are all pretty good markers of how far we've come. Let's not forget this is Ole's first full season and the mess our squad was in when he took over.

And they'd also understand that removing context to those numbers and comparing them with entirely different variables, is not a good way to analyze data. Yet here we are, with you attempting to say points vs points is a better comparable than where the team actually finished. It's not only entirely flawed, it's pretty desperate.

Again, nonsense. We've scored some great team goals.

Yes, the eye test. No only do the stats stack up heavily in Oles favour, not only are be breaking records and holding enviable form, we've also looked very, very good. Which is why you have a whole host of neutrals and fans alike, whom have been very critical of us over the years now singing our praises. You are very much in the minority. When posters can't even give credit for that without forcing in a weak caveat, then we know where there agendas stand.
This.
This is a prose of real beauty.
It's a true smackdown; with civility, politeness and yet with utter savagery.
There can be no come back, it's done.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I've always found the concept of a "top manager" quite bemusing, especially in the current day footballing context. The very concept of a "top manager" implies a certain amount of longevity of success/cups at the top and there are only a handful of managers who can claim such a record, whilst others (such as Jose) have had multiple rude 'awakenings' with their 'greatness' often critically questioned.

The game is not what is used to be. Coaching teams are complex (and sometimes) bureaucratic behemoths whilst football is now played at a frantic pace to complement the advances in sports science and technology. My point is, the manager is no longer the sole arbiter of a club's destiny.

We have come to a juncture where a good manager is not imbued with some god-given talent, but he/she is instinctively adaptable to all the variables in modern day management.

Ole has proved he is a good manager at United.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I'd rather they found another team to support, as they are not very good at supporting Manchester United, which is what a supporter should do!
Supporting your team and offering blind loyalty are two different things. I want us to win big prizes and play great football. I look at the dippers and City and see that what the prerequisites are for this - a world class coach and the right club structure. Does anybody, hand of heart, think that's what we have? Really?

And if you don't think that, what are you going to do about it? Say nothing?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
All of our managers have been backed. If we'd have told them to feck off more often, we might have wasted less money.
If we'd have more competency at decision making level we'd have wasted a lot less money and looked a lot more professional. None of those managers were helped by the way the club is run. The difference in appointments (approach and style) is incredible shortsighted. The accountability of our wasting hundreds of millions in wages and fees is squarely on the decision makers.

romufc

First of all it was obvious. As soon as Ole came in, the players looked happier, Pogba is alot happier now than under Jose. If you are that naive to see what was happening, then that is not my problem.

Jose's handling of Shaw, Martial and Rashford was terrible. But I guess you will say it isn't Jose's fault that we signed Sanchez.

So stop comparing points total then, I didnt start that nonsense.

Looks like you do not understand how Manutd is run, the manager gets a big say on transfers. LVG got a say, thats why we saw the transfers of Blind, Rojo, Memphis, Sweinsteiger.
Jose got a say thats why we saw Zlatan, Pogba, Mikhi, Bailly etc

And guess what Ole got a say as well.

I am not a deluded fan like you then, beginning of the season I knew, like most fans we are not going to win the league and the best we could realistically achieve was third.

dirkey

First of all it was obvious. As soon as Ole came in, the players looked happier, Pogba is alot happier now than under Jose. If you are that naive to see what was happening, then that is not my problem.

Jose's handling of Shaw, Martial and Rashford was terrible. But I guess you will say it isn't Jose's fault that we signed Sanchez.

So stop comparing points total then, I didnt start that nonsense.

Looks like you do not understand how Manutd is run, the manager gets a big say on transfers. LVG got a say, thats why we saw the transfers of Blind, Rojo, Memphis, Sweinsteiger.
Jose got a say thats why we saw Zlatan, Pogba, Mikhi, Bailly etc

And guess what Ole got a say as well.

I am not a deluded fan like you then, beginning of the season I knew, like most fans we are not going to win the league and the best we could realistically achieve was third.
You must not realise that comparing points totals across seasons is only valid when it shows ole in a negative light.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

If we don't invest and he remains for a full season with little to no improvement my concern is simply the club are not interested in investing the funds for title challenge.

My concern is more than genuine and should be a concern for any fan of the club.
Its a concern that is completely unfounded considering the money the board have pumped into the club over the past 7 years. We are clearly ambitious for success but of course that doesn’t suit the anti Glazier/Woodward narrative.

Withnail

Because it is interesting to see what people really think. I don't think he is a top manager and I think we should try to get one soon.
Although given everything that happens and no real pre season then I think we should give him this season to see what he can do.
It's completely irrelevant because as you say he's staying and most are happy to let him continue for now.

I'm not sure there's a huge amount of appetite for another poll on this.

I don't really see the point of this thread unless results take a nosedive next season.

romufc

Your concern that he will maintain the full confidence of the board.

If he is backed and we have a bad start and are 15 points of the top in December, then yeah his position should be looked at, but if he is not backed and we are off it, I can see the fans getting on Ole when it isnt his fault entirely.

How many times are we going to let the board let the manager take the fall for their shortcomings?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I must admit, the thought of 539 caftards having a fit and crying in their beers every time United win is pretty glorious. :D

Withnail

Its a concern that is completely unfounded considering the money the board have pumped into the club over the past 7 years. We are clearly ambitious for success but of course that doesn’t suit the anti Glazier/Woodward narrative.
Do we though or do we conveniently neglect to find value in the market when we make it into the CL?

It remains to be seen what happens this summer but the concern won't go away as the covid thing could muddy the water in that regard.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Do we though or do we conveniently neglect to find value in the market when we make it into the CL?

It remains to be seen what happens this summer but the concern won't go away as the covid thing could muddy the water in that regard.
It’s clear in my mind, we didn’t spend last time because Jose was taking us nowhere. He wasted god knows how much money and didn’t know to to coach his existing players. He wanted to get rid of Martial and bring in some more average shite for stupid money. Only massive fans of Mourinho or conversely the most anti glazier fans would be unable to see the context of that summer.

We will spend this summer but it’s clear we don’t have an endless pit and that’s been hit further by Covid. I still think we will reinforce.

laughtersassassin

If we don't wake up and make moves in the window he will be on the chopping block again next year.

If your not imporving in football you are going backwards and get again it seems we are floundering in the transfer market.

Club needs to get the finger out and back their maneger.

Aresma7

Supporting your team and offering blind loyalty are two different things. I want us to win big prizes and play great football. I look at the dippers and City and see that what the prerequisites are for this - a world class coach and the right club structure. Does anybody, hand of heart, think that's what we have? Really?

And if you don't think that, what are you going to do about it? Say nothing?
Beat city 3 times what do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.