Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkey

Yes I get that but we have to talk within reason. Jadon is worth what they are asking. We just don’t have the funds to get him and say a Jack Grealish. That’s not Dortmund’s fault. Realistically.. okay we walk away. We still have to spend £80m to get Jack. It doesn’t make sense.
Now, I've not watched the much of him... Is he really worth what they're asking? It'd be.. What, third highest price of all time?

Is he really THAT good?

Withnail

These are two key points. You'll undoubtedly get flak from people who don't read your posts properly/think it's an atack on Ole when it applies to all managers but the points total comparisons is a great metric to assess a team's evolution. You shouldn't have to explain why it only works with back to back seasons and not decades past because it's common sense. We did well to finish third but were very lucky that the relative strength of the PL has remained weaker than ever because over the whole season we've been average at best.

The second point is what worries me most about our style of play. Fans are very quick to talk about Ole's deadwood and how he can't trust a huge raft of players but the fact is we have kept adding top players across the team for a long time & have a lot of depth. We should be far more effective than we are in my opinion and it's a case of having an embarassment of riches but performing below the level we can be. The reason it's my fear is that a lot of fans believe the way to improve us is just to keep buying better players but we should only be doing that when we have a system that is good enough to close the gap. You have to assume given how far off we were from Liverpool despite having a great team on paper that we have some fundamental issues we need to address before just throwing more money at players. A perfect example will be if we sign Sancho, remain third and then get 75 points next season without winning anything - is that progress or should we be pushing much much closer to where Liverpool/City are today with the same players?
An embarrassment of riches, seriously?

I don't think there's even a debate as to what our strongest 11 is.

Who on the bench is a game changer or pushing hard for a place on the first team?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yes he is. His ratio of resources to results over a period of seasons would, I'm guessing, be better than anyone in the PL barr Klopp.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Molde manager would have been given the Manchester United job based on his managerial CV?
No one is saying that, but it's also become quite common that big clubs promote their own to manager eventually nowdays so it's the reality we live in.

Andrea Pirlo's manager experience is: 9 days as chief of Juventus U23. - Now promoted to Juve boss.

And I'm sure we don't have to even mention what Zidane and Pep did before being given the reins at Barcelona and Madrid respectively. (The answer is nothing, they are entirely club products)

Mainoldo

Now, I've not watched the much of him... Is he really worth what they're asking? It'd be.. What, third highest price of all time?

Is he really THAT good?
He’s no Neymar. But you have to remember he’s like 19. For his age he’s an amazing talent I’d say Greenwood star quality with a better football brain.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
No one is saying that, but it's also become quite common that big clubs promote their own to manager eventually nowdays so it's the reality we live in.

Andrea Pirlo's manager experience is: 9 days as chief of Juventus U23. - Now promoted to Juve boss.

And I'm sure we don't have to even mention what Zidane and Pep did before being given the reins at Barcelona and Madrid respectively. (The answer is nothing, they are entirely club products)
I imagine all those clubs have directors of football with a long term plan for success. I'm guessing those managers were quite successful in their day as players and perhaps were also quite good with youth teams? Could be wrong. I feel like I've heard of this Zidane guy but can't quite place it...

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I imagine all those clubs have directors of football with a long term plan for success. I'm guessing those managers were quite successful in their day as players and perhaps were also quite good with youth teams? Could be wrong. I feel like I've heard of this Zidane guy but can't quite place it...
You mean like the current Manchester United manager? The guy who literally has a banner in the Old Trafford stands? That former player?

He did really well with the reserves he managed mind you:

P68 W41 D18 L9 Goals For 139 Goals Against 56

Win percentage : 60%
Goals per game : 2.04

Withnail

Sightly off topic but the Pirlo one is bizzare.

He's got zero experience. He doesn't even have his coaching badges yet.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yes he is. His ratio of resources to results over a period of seasons would, I'm guessing, be better than anyone in the PL barr Klopp.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Molde manager would have been given the Manchester United job based on his managerial CV?
That's just the dumbest thing I've heard, sorry to be rude. Last time I checked Poch hadn't won anything so that doesn't make him any better than Wilder or Espirito Santo. Let's go for Ranieri while we're at it.

glazed

Sightly off topic but the Pirlo one is bizzare.

He's got zero experience. He doesn't even have his coaching badges yet.
I agree Pirlo is odd. But Juve win everything in Italy anyway so they probably more relaxed about stuff.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Sack him after Europa League whatever the result.
Buy Ronaldo and make him player manager. Simples.

glazed

That's just the dumbest thing I've heard, sorry to be rude. Last time I checked Poch hadn't won anything so that doesn't make him any better than Wilder or Espirito Santo. Let's go for Ranieri while we're at it.
I'd say his league positions were better than any other Spurs manager for decades. His league finishes were 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Compared to 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th by us in same period. On a much smaller budget

Oh, and he got to a Champions League final.

So yes - he didn't win anything. But he's still an extremely good manager who probably would win something at the right club.

glazed

You mean like the current Manchester United manager? The guy who literally has a banner in the Old Trafford stands? That former player?
I mean obviously Ole, Zidane and Guardiola are clearly at about the same level as players. The banner proves it.

Mainoldo

He did really well with the reserves he managed mind you:

P68 W41 D18 L9 Goals For 139 Goals Against 56

Win percentage : 60%
Goals per game : 2.04
He had a really great record in the reserves. I remember thinking at the time we might have a coach here. But then he has his spell at Cardiff and the reserves continued to perform well until the last 3 years.

pablo__p

Watching the likes of RB Leipzig really makes you wonder what we'd be like if we were coached by someone with a solid tactical nuance.

lex talionis

Given how good he is at this stage of his development, the sky is the limit therefore he's effectively priceless.

United would be mad to sell him for 120m
Agreed. It would be completely daft to sell Greenwood at any price that any club would be willing to offer right now. But if we had to conjure up a number for Greenwood today, I wouldn't even return a phone call that suggested anything less than 150m.

We have to remember that valuations aren't just a reflection of what a player "is worth" today, but what we will be worth in the future. At 18, he's got a long career ahead of him and he shows every sign of being a sensational footballer over the next decade plus, when the transfer amount we'll talking about will be far excess of what they are today.

lysglimt

Scout
Watching the likes of RB Leipzig really makes you wonder what we'd be like if we were coached by someone with a solid tactical nuance.
You don't think it may have anything to do with the fact that Leipzig have been allowed to build their team quietly over several years ? Without firing 3 managers in 5 years or so

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
These are two key points. You'll undoubtedly get flak from people who don't read your posts properly/think it's an atack on Ole when it applies to all managers but the points total comparisons is a great metric to assess a team's evolution. You shouldn't have to explain why it only works with back to back seasons and not decades past because it's common sense. We did well to finish third but were very lucky that the relative strength of the PL has remained weaker than ever because over the whole season we've been average at best.

The second point is what worries me most about our style of play. Fans are very quick to talk about Ole's deadwood and how he can't trust a huge raft of players but the fact is we have kept adding top players across the team for a long time & have a lot of depth. We should be far more effective than we are in my opinion and it's a case of having an embarassment of riches but performing below the level we can be. The reason it's my fear is that a lot of fans believe the way to improve us is just to keep buying better players but we should only be doing that when we have a system that is good enough to close the gap. You have to assume given how far off we were from Liverpool despite having a great team on paper that we have some fundamental issues we need to address before just throwing more money at players. A perfect example will be if we sign Sancho, remain third and then get 75 points next season without winning anything - is that progress or should we be pushing much much closer to where Liverpool/City are today with the same players?
Well, I am glad someone is at least reading my posts, as opposed to dismissing them because it doesn't agree with their view of the world.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, except the embarrassment of riches bit. That might be stretching it even thought we have a very good first 11.

On a related note though, OGS has not been able to get anything out of our 'deadwood' players and while I agree they're not very good, Klopp has shown you can use certain players in less important fixtures given the right coaching and get results. You might not get exactly what you'd get with a first 11 but a first 11 cannot play non-stop because we've seen two separate occasions where ours has run out of gas under OGS.

One example of not using our fringe well is Ighalo. Dude is on 150k a week with us but barely plays? Why keep him until January if you're barely utilising him and once you do need him, he's not used to playing with other players. It's just lack of good management in my opinion but I'm sure someone will be here shortly to tell I should believe more and get behind the team, all Brexit style.

You don't think it may have anything to do with the fact that Leipzig have been allowed to build their team quietly over several years ? Without firing 3 managers in 5 years or so
It might also have to do with the fact that they have a proper structure in place and method to their football. Something we don't.

lysglimt

Scout

Pochettinos win-percentage:

Espanyol - 32%
Southampton - 38%
Tottenham - 54% (and he should send a big thank you to Harry Kane for that one)

In comparison - Solskjaers stats at Cardiff were almost as good as Poch at Espanyol - 30%
And he has a better win percentage at United, than Poch had at Spurs...just saying

He'sRaldo

Nagelsmann was appointed a few months after Ole. Before that was Rangnick and Hassenhutl.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Pochettinos win-percentage:

Espanyol - 32%
Southampton - 38%
Tottenham - 54% (and he should send a big thank you to Harry Kane for that one)

In comparison - Solskjaers stats at Cardiff were almost as good as Poch at Espanyol - 30%
And he has a better win percentage at United, than Poch had at Spurs...just saying
You didn't factor in the win rate to resources ratio (whatever that means). Perhaps pts gained per £m of team value/expenditure?

Skills

Snitch
Fun fact, RB Leipzig have had 3 managers since 2016. We're on our 2nd one.

pablo__p

Perhaps. I don't know much about their development path to be honest.

That said, I just don't see any signs that we tactically improve as a team under Ole which bugs me whenever I see us vs well-coached teams.

Karlos PFC

Well, I am glad someone is at least reading my posts, as opposed to dismissing them because it doesn't agree with their view of the world.
I read them brother and I've got to say...Amen I agree word for word

edcunited1878

What's funny is that he's right. Leipzig haven't fired 3 coaches in 5 years...they've fired 4.
Fun, but real fact....since July 2012, RB have had 4 full time managers - Zorniger, Rangnick, Hassenhutl, and Nagelsmann.

Another fun, but real fact...Rangnick is the brainchild of the RB football club development, scouting, and player development for Salzburg and Leipzig for a few years now then manager or stepping down from management then into the director role, then this past year has been overseeing all the RB football clubs and scouting and development.

The structure around the RB Leipzig manager is extremely advantageous and supportive and it can survive and thrive without Nagelsmann...Nagelsmann and RB Leipzig are a great match. Compared to Ole at United, it's not the same support system or structure when it comes to football player operations.

He'sRaldo

Fun, but real fact....since July 2012, RB have had 4 full time managers - Zorniger, Rangnick, Hassenhutl, and Nagelsmann.

Another fun, but real fact...Rangnick is the brainchild of the RB football club development, scouting, and player development for Salzburg and Leipzig for a few years now then manager or stepping down from management then into the director role, then this past year has been overseeing all the RB football clubs and scouting and development.

The structure around the RB Leipzig manager is extremely advantageous and supportive and it can survive and thrive without Nagelsmann...Nagelsmann and RB Leipzig are a great match. Compared to Ole at United, it's not the same support system or structure when it comes to football player operations.
True. So what's your conclusion based on this knowledge?

liamp

Sure, but it's funny to count Beierlorzer.

I don't disagree with any of what you said. It would be incredible to have the structure that RB has across its football organization. I think most of the folks who have been screaming into the void about United's football operations department would agree with that.

kaiz

You don't have to wonder. You already saw it with Mourinho and especially LVG.

By the way, some people should stop talking about tactic, structure or pattern of play while they have no idea what they are talking about. Please educate yourself with these articles before posting more ignorant opinions.

https://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/manchester-united-analysis

edcunited1878

True. So what's your conclusion based on this knowledge?
Nagelsmann is a very good, innovative, young coach....but he's in a total football environment that has provided mutual benefit and success (club and manager have been good for each other). It's a very, very good match.

Right now, Nagelsmann is getting overhyped a little, and the RB Leipzig setup that he walked into this year is being overlooked. He should continue to have a really good career, but I think he's the right man in the right place and can easily be the right man in the wrong place.

Previous examples to me include Sarri/Napoli (great) or the manager for Atalanta (amazing) or Veron the player for United (not right) or Forlan for United.l (not right).

He'sRaldo

Nagelsmann is a very good, innovative, young coach....but he's in a total football environment that has provided mutual benefit and success (club and manager have been good for each other). It's a very, very good match.

Right now, Nagelsmann is getting overhyped a little, and the RB Leipzig setup that he walked into this year is being overlooked. He should continue to have a really good career, but I think he's the right man in the right place and can easily be the right man in the wrong place.

Previous examples to me include Sarri/Napoli (great) or the manager for Atalanta (amazing) or Veron the player for United (not right) or Forlan for United.l (not right).
I can't agree fully since he showed a very high level at Hoffenheim even before he went to Leipzig. And Hoffenheim doesn't as good a setup Leipzig, so he can operate independent of setup. Maybe he's a bit overhyped, but I don't think it's for that reason.

But more importantly, which kind of coach do you think is the right fit for us?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Nagelsmann was appointed a few months after Ole. Before that was Rangnick and Hassenhutl.
Both Nagelsmann and Hassenhutl played the same system & style with same philosophy as a manager in building their squad which benefit for the both club and the manager while Moyes, LVG, Jose & Ole are in different system, style & philosophy in building their squad.

If you want to talk about RB Leipzig game last night then you want to talk about Ole’s team performance against the top team this season. If you want to talk about the poor ones then you want to talk about RB Leipzig poor ones as well and how they blew away their chance to win bundesliga this season despite of being in 1st spot for long time but end up dropped to below Dortmund.

He'sRaldo

Both Nagelsmann and Hassenhutl played the same system & style with same philosophy as a manager in building their squad which benefit for the both club and the manager while Moyes, LVG, Jose & Ole are in different system, style & philosophy in building their squad.

If you want to talk about RB Leipzig game last night then you want to talk about Ole’s team performance against the top team this season. If you want to talk about the poor ones then you want to talk about RB Leipzig poor ones as well and how they blew away their chance to win bundesliga this season despite of being in 1st spot for long time but end up dropped to below Dortmund.
I wasn't talking about Ole, I was correcting someone who was wrong about Leipzig's managerial history.

hubbuh

You don't have to wonder. You already saw it with Mourinho and especially LVG.

By the way, some people should stop talking about tactic, structure or pattern of play while they have no idea what they are talking about. Please educate yourself with these articles before posting more ignorant opinions.

https://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/manchester-united-analysis
Sorry, what is so impressive about these random opinion pieces?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It's becoming increasingly apparent in this particular thread how the Solskjaer detractors are very selective in their facts and arguments when making any kind of case against him.

It will be interesting to see what position they take if we hopefully win the Europa League and whether they will move the goalposts to suit a new narrative.

edcunited1878

I can't agree fully since he showed a very high level at Hoffenheim even before he went to Leipzig. And Hoffenheim doesn't as good a setup Leipzig, so he can operate independent of setup. Maybe he's a bit overhyped, but I don't think it's for that reason.

But more importantly, which kind of coach do you think is the right fit for us?
Hoffenheim qualification for CL is the best of the underwhelming rest in Bundesliga that year. They qualified with 55 points. That's incredibly low but also shows the state of some of the midtable clubs in Germany...and the next year in CL, Nagelsmann's Hoffenheim finished last in their group. He never had the chance to back up his 'success' at Hoffenheim.

Ole is the right fit for United right now. He knows the type of player and quality needed at United. He also knows the mentality needed. He can infuse the squad with the requisite talent and character. It's still lacking in consistency and quality depth. Continuity (Ole) and consistency go hand in hand.

United need one forward to step in for Greenwood and or Rashford from time to time or at least challenge Rashford. Mason cannot start every match. Martial needs cover but he's the most improved player by far and if he can remain consistent at this current level or even be better...that would be scary. Also need at least one central midfielder who can cover for Bruno and/or Pogba. Need a 3rd CB who can spell Maguire and Lindelof who then pushes Bailly to 4th choice while Tuanzebe or Mengi gain experience. All while Williams, AWB, McTominay, James, and Greenwood all must improve and be more consistent.

I'd rather continue to see Ole groom these players and potentially new talented players for another couple years and then assess his future. By then, the team will be theoretically at it's optimal. Front 3, Bruno, Pogba, Matic replacement or McTominay/Fred, the back 4, and probably Henderson or new GK.

Status
Not open for further replies.