Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peridigm

For the first time since he took over am I heading towards the Ole out-boat. If we lose against Everton, we need to change things around.
I’m losing hope myself. How do we open our CL group with wins against the two teams favored to win the group and then lose to the whipping boys of the group? Team selection and substitutions are Ole’s biggest weakness. This team plays without fear of being dropped. He’s too much their friend I think. I don’t know if Poch is the answer either but I still think we’re only going to continue repeating the same mistakes if we don’t change the structure of the club and hire a dof before hiring a new manager.

L1nk

I’m losing hope myself. How do we open our CL group with wins against the two teams favored to win the group and then lose to the whipping boys of the group? Team selection and substitutions are Ole’s biggest weakness. This team plays without fear of being dropped. He’s too much their friend I think. I don’t know if Poch is the answer either but I still think we’re only going to continue repeating the same mistakes if we don’t change the structure of the club and hire a dof before hiring a new manager.
For me it's not just about the loss, I can forgive a loss, sometimes these things just happen against any team in the world, small or big. It's the level on the pitch that's has me calling time on this, what in the hell were both of those goals, completely amateur organisation, structure etc on the pitch against this team is absolutely criminal for this club

mav_9me

Just look at this. How can you say there is any type of coaching looking at this? Go and play.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Just look at this. How can you say there is any type of coaching looking at this? Go and play.

There was no urgency to make runs in behind that defense. Just jogging and passing sideways as it was some sort of friendly

Arka_BleedingRed

Ole for United should just have been the interim manager who with his feel good factor gave the squad back it's mojo, their confidence after the Jose debacle, while a capable board looked for a suitable, quality manager to succeed him shortly. As usual, our imbecile club management made the worst possible judgement to give him the full time job instead and set him up to fail. Time and time again, this board has shown their ability to make the poorest decision in the circumstances consistently.

I would gather most sensible fans would have hoped he would do wonders with us and be a success here. I think there's this odd conspiracy theory that some 'wanted him to fail'. I can't fathom this line of thought. With Mourinho? Sure, plenty despised the man well before he walked through the door and couldn't overcome their bias. But Ole is a club legend and there's zero reason why any United fan would have wanted him to fail.

It was more that, over time people started asking questions - rightfully so - about whether he is a good enough manager. The problems started when his stauch fans started taking offence to questions being asked of him. Then posters from both 'sides' started petty bickering and shouting as loud as possible, to try comfort themselves in thinking that they're 'right'. It's individuals as opposed to opinions which started the divide. This thread is warranted and the discussion has been warranted for most of his tenure. Unfortunately, a-few decided to turn this thread into a petty battlefield. The nonsense from here has seeped into other threads; look at the childish nonsense in the Naglelsmann thread after last week's win or the infamous whoop whoop thread. Like seriously...

So while I see nothing wrong whatsoever with the premise of this thread, I agree that it's become a mess but that's due to a small minority. It's only going to get worse as this feels like Jose's final months all over again, without the toxicity.
Ole in or Ole Out
Lockdown or don’t lockdown
Biden or Trump

All topics where rational discussions are impossible.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Biggest mistake we made was handing him the contract when we did, it didn't make sense at the time and it still doesn't. Given how alarming our decline was after that, I don't think he'd have gotten the job had we waited until summer. My mind was made up at the end of that season itself, what has followed since then hasn't changed my beliefs. Ultimately he is not competent for this job, no amount of time will make up for that.

We will continue to yo-yo under him, this pattern is similar to last season. The difference is, 66 points won't cut it for a CL place this season.

Ole has a habit of magically producing a result just when he's on the verge of getting the boot. Remember Spurs at home with City away in space of 4 days last Christmas? We won both and he survived. I think we'll get something at Everton which will prolong his tenure. He'll get the boot at some point this season, I'm certain, but only when CL finish is mathematically out of equation or we are in and around relegation zone at Christmas.

We don't sack managers early on, Mourinho was an exception simply because of how toxic he became and it cost the club a pretty penny to cut him then.
To be fair to ed he don't have any other options with Ole performing that well, I knew it went downhill after PSG but who would and could have foreseen that.

If he didn't give Ole the contract and the next manager do so much as playing badly or didn't win the treble fans would be blaming him for not appointing Ole.

That's my problem with appointing ex legend as interims, they might get lucky and made a meal out of it (Nothing personal), you imagine if Giggs somehow made us play better and won 4 out of 4? He'll only undermine the next manager, whoever that is.

"We should have gone with Giggs, legends love united and all that" will be the punching line every time the team didn't perform

Today was the final straw for me.

For the start of last season you could make the excuse that
- Injuries to Pogba, Rashford and Martial screwed us.
- The squad wasn't good enough and needed more depth and quality.

However since then we've had a fully fit squad - and have added Bruno, VDB, Cavani and Telles. There's no excuses anymore, this team should be performing much better than they are. And it's the same old problems, we only ever look like a team when the opposition leaves themselves wide open on the counter attack. Any other scenario we look Sunday league standard.

I actually like quite a few things Ole has done, his squad building has been much better than Van Gaal and Mourinho, he sets us up quite well in certain big games whereby we're allowed to play on the counter, and I get the feeling the players like his man management more than they did Moyes/Van Gaal/Mourinho.

However I don't think the coaching is anywhere near good enough. We don't press well, we can't pass, there's no cohesion or understanding between the players in attack, there doesn't seem to be any plan as to how we can score a goal when the opposition has men behind the ball.

We may get a good result at some point and we'll be fooled into thinking we're finding form but deep down we know it will be another false dawn. It's always 1 step forward 2 steps back. 2 years in and we can't press, can't pass and can't create chances against a low block, I just can't see us going anywhere.
That's the problem

Lvg/Jose are winners, they push and shove you to the point of extreme because they understand the level they demand

If our players have no problem with Ole's man management while they're playing like championship team then they're a bigger problem than the management.

Roy Keane / Gary Neville even prime Ole won't love Ole's happy go lucky man management, they want to win and they won't gonna take this "It's ok folks, you tried your best, now off to your holidays" atttitude.

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
Can’t believe we are still 60:40 in favour of keeping Ole. We’ve surely all seen enough at this stage? How much more punishment do you want?
Sacking Ole will solve nothing just like sacking Jose and everyone else solved nothing.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
To put it simple.

1. We don’t look like , we don’t act and we don’t play as a team.

2. Simple mistakes from the first to the last minute. Miss placed passes, over and over and over again.To many touches before every pass. Running with the ball when a team mate is free. Pedestrian. Slow tempo. Often without options.

3. Unorganized in every department. In defense. Up front. In the middle. Set pieces.

4. Clueless players. With the ball. Without the ball. In defense. When we attack. When we have possession. Set pieces.

5. Passive manager. Passive players.

6. What is our game plan?

7. Our substitutions. Its just weird. It’s like someone tries to sabotage our team.

8. Formation? Starting line up. Do we make any consequence analysis when we start certain players together?

9. Players in panic mode. Players acting like zombies. Manager and our captain without authority.

It’s like witnessing a school class ,without a teacher, trying to organize and learn something they don’t know.

Sometimes it’s comical. Often it’s tragically embarrassing.

You don’t know if you want to close your eyes, continue looking or just walk away screaming. It’s like a nightmare and you know you’re awake. It’s freaking bizarre!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Sacking Ole will solve nothing just like sacking Jose and everyone else solved nothing.
Not really,

Sacking moyes - LVG : FA CUP
Sacking LVG - Jose : UEFA Cup + League Cup

There is no problem to solve, football is not some 25 years enigma, you hire the best coach for the season and aim to win shits every season. It's that simple. Everyone else is doing it, and everyone else is successful enough doing it, we're the only team that seems to think you can only win it the SAF ways

windco

I thought i would never say this sentence but today is the day "I would rather have Moyes as our coach than Solskjaer" :lol::wenger:

But at end of the day we can't blame Solskjaer because his level isn't the Premier League and Champions League.
Moyes is much better manager than Ole at least at EPL, the only reason we didn't give him more time is because he wasn't our club legend.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think that's it for me. Seeing that 1st goal we conceded, I'm just convinced we need someone else to be drilling these players.

I'd have loved it if Ole was the one to bring us back but doesn't seem like he has it in him to do it.

He'sRaldo

Keep him and back him. dont think theres another manager out there to have the balls to gut that dressing room. I think Ole is now finding out some home truths about the likes of Pogba and these characters. if we get rid of him now all these frauds are back to square 1 with a clean slate.this makes my blood boil more than any result over the past week. i dont think Pochetino would be the ruthless type we need either, good at signing a bargain at Spurs but another case of when he lost the dressing room at Spurs he was dispatched of easily. He would be ideal for this lot as cannon fodder. Stick with Ole and lets hope he knows what needed by now in the quality and character department, surely hope he realises by now he is going nowhere with our current starting wing backs for starters
Not the same players.

Moyes's players didn't have a clean slate under LVG, Van Gaal's players didn't have a clean slate under Mourinho, and Mourinho's players didn't have a clean slate under Ole. So I don't think you have to worry about Ole's players having a clean slate.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I have backed Ole all the way and was adamant he deserved another season based on last one, but its pretty fecking jarring to see how pedestrian we look at times. Did not get the chance to see last nights game, but seeing the highlights was enough to see we yet again get undone by absolute amateur mistakes.

Next 4 games should all be winnable really. If we feck up those too i think he needs to go

One thing i see in this thread often that has started to get under my skin a bit is how people go on about how much individual quality here there is and we only need a good coach to unlock them. Are they though? Many of these players have been here much longer than Ole and its been the same story under 2/3 different managers. Look great one match, then like a complete bunch of amateurs the next one. Not trying to deflect blame away from Ole here, but the players needs to be held responsible as well.

Forget tactics and "patterns of play" for a while, what we often see is in games against supposedly inferior opposition that we get more than matched in intensity and individual execution of the footballing basics.

Marcus

It feels like Ole is happy to just be manager of United without actually winning anything. And the Glazers are happy that he is happy unless he costs them money by missing out of 4th place. This is a really pathetic state of affairs. I think we are in a good position to switch things up. Come on Woody, pull the trigger. You know you love this part of the job. Buys you more time yet again.

SAFMUTD

It feels like Ole is happy to just be manager of United without actually winning anything. And the Glazers are happy that he is happy unless he costs them money by missing out of 4th place. This is a really pathetic state of affairs. I think we are in a good position to switch things up. Come on Woody, pull the trigger. You know you love this part of the job. Buys you more time yet again.
Of course he is happy just to be manager of United, which top team you think he's going to coach after he gets sacked? I doubt he'll even get another chance at a top league.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Henderson
AWB
Maguire
VDB
Bruno
Cavani
Tuanzebe
Greenwood

Around half of the team that played yesterday were players Ole bought or promoted. So I'm not sure why posters keeps saying these players get every managers sacked. Also, he's been managing this team for a good 2 years.
Although it's a lot easier narrative to paint though.

Last edited:

OT1214

Let’s hire one more manager. Ole manages the big games where we are expected to lose. Counter attacking football. 3 points. The other one sets up the team for matches against cannon fodder, against whom we drop points very often. Easy fix :smirk:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I have backed Ole all the way and was adamant he deserved another season based on last one, but its pretty fecking jarring to see how pedestrian we look at times. Did not get the chance to see last nights game, but seeing the highlights was enough to see we yet again get undone by absolute amateur mistakes.

Next 4 games should all be winnable really. If we feck up those too i think he needs to go

One thing i see in this thread often that has started to get under my skin a bit is how people go on about how much individual quality here there is and we only need a good coach to unlock them. Are they though? Many of these players have been here much longer than Ole and its been the same story under 2/3 different managers. Look great one match, then like a complete bunch of amateurs the next one. Not trying to deflect blame away from Ole here, but the players needs to be held responsible as well.

Forget tactics and "patterns of play" for a while, what we often see is in games against supposedly inferior opposition that we get more than matched in intensity and individual execution of the footballing basics.
That's what happens when the manager doesn't hold them responsible and it's why he has to go.

Too many players are automatically picked despite underperforming.

Colleykids

Way out of his depth..... he was out of his depth in the short spell he had at Cardiff for God’s sake !!

Bobcat

That's what happens when the manager doesn't hold them responsible and it's why he has to go.

Too many players are automatically picked despite underperforming.
Who is he going to replace them with though? In midfield we have played pretty much everyone we have and in attack we dont really have any options unless we fetch someone from the academy.

Are you suggesting we wheel our Phil Jones to teach Maguire and Lindelof a lesson?

Lemansky

Changed vote. No system, no cohesion and no stability. He needs to do better with this squad. It’s in my opinion better than what people give it credit for. I really like Ole, so it’s a shame. But he has proven nothing to give him more time on this level.

elmo

Who is he going to replace them with though? In midfield we have played pretty much everyone we have and in attack we dont really have any options unless we fetch someone from the academy.

Are you suggesting we wheel our Phil Jones to teach Maguire and Lindelof a lesson?
This excuse again.

Play the fecking youths, the results literally can't go worse since we're losing anyway. Who knows, maybe one of them takes his chances and ends up being a starter just like how Rashford stepped up. Anything is better than doing the same old shit and expecting things to magically change.

Ole literally does feck all to change things when we're on a bad run and it's why we keep going on such long runs of being shit.

Bobcat

This excuse again.

Play the fecking youths, the results literally can't go worse since we're losing anyway. Who knows, maybe one of them takes his chances and ends up being a starter just like how Rashford stepped up. Anything is better than doing the same old shit and expecting things to magically change.

Ole literally does feck all to change things when we're on a bad run and it's why we keep going on such long runs of being shit.
Frankly, thats a daft idea

Do you think taking some academy players and throwing them to the wolves just to teach the senior players a lesson is going to benefit the club as a whole? Thats the kind of vindictive shite Jose does and it always ends badly.

Of course the players needs to be held responsible, i wrote it a bit further up this page. They are complicit in this shite as well, but the problem goes far beyond Ole and simply replacing him wont solve it. The reason we have ended up here is goes much farther back than that.
1) Is the ridiculous way we handle contracts. Extending the contracts of deadwood just to "protect their assets" is incredibly daft. If you have 5-6 first team players who get paid 100k/week just to sit on their arse its going to breed complacency. The likes of Jones, Rojo, Lindgard etc should have been sold ages ago, but instead we keep renewing their contracts despite them never playing
2) Is how that we overpay our players. We have the second highest wage bill in the league, only slightly less than City, but far far from the quality they have. Its also a bit ironic that the club is more than willing to throw money at deadwood and mediocre players, yet when it comes to transfers we apparently have a tight budget.
3) Is how utter shite we have been in the market the last 7 years. Not only have we done loads of failed player acquisitions, we have also paid out the arse for most of them.

If this keeps up then Ole should deservedly be sacked, but Poch and his magic wand wont fix this overnight. People go on about how much "individual quality" we have, but i'd say there is a clear lack of proof for that statement. When have these players proved they can deliver class performances on a consistent basis? Not under LvG, not under Jose and not now. With a few notable exceptions like Rashford and Bruno, we have way to many players who are overrated fannies with shit attitudes that does not deserve to wear that shirt.

A simple change in coaching staff wont fix this. I'd be thrilled to be wrong about it, but i honestly think we need big changes at the very top and in the playing staff before this is going to look any better

He'sRaldo

I remember Ole's first pre season, where we struggled against some random Norwegian team who parked the bus, only winning it at the death.

I was surprised at the time, but ultimately thought it was a one off. In truth we haven't progressed at all from that level, in 2 years. Still the same old problems, which begs the question of why hasn't he actively tried to solve the issue in all that time?

red4ever 79

Like Ole as a man but it's clear to see there is no structure or style to our play. We are a counter attacking team relying on individual brilliance to get us out of trouble. We cannot break teams down, we have no quality on the wings. We are even poor defensively this season. The club havent learned from past mistakes we tend to stockpile players in certain areas. We have how many CB's and CM's?

Maguire
Lindelof
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Rojo
Jones
Mengi

Matic
McTom
Fred
Pogba
Bruno
VDB

13 players!!! And yet despite all that we still dont have a fecking RW. I mean jesus christ what is going on here. Ole wants to try and shoehorn as many players into that team as possible, he needs to cut some loose and stick with a core group.

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Tuanzebe Shaw
Fred VDB
Bruno
Greenwood Cavani Martial

Give that team 10 games

Stepney73

this thread would look very different if it was say Tim Sherwood as our manager?

OGS is not Manchester Utd a level manager and never will be plus when he eventually does get the boot lets see if there are any other PL clubs that will employ him.

Renegade

I just don’t how he and the “coaching” staff could just sit on the bench and see the defensive set up for that first goal without one running to the touch line and barking orders? Why does he just sit there with his legs crossed and watch the monitor?

Every other top6 manager is on the touch line for the majority. Especially the new unproven guys like Lampard and Arterta.

ash_86

Players that can perform so well against PSG and RB Lepzig but couldn't get simple passes against minnows . A Manager that get it right in most big games but keeps loosing against Minnows. We are not a good place are we?

elmo

Frankly, thats a daft idea

Do you think taking some academy players and throwing them to the wolves just to teach the senior players a lesson is going to benefit the club as a whole? Thats the kind of vindictive shite Jose does and it always ends badly.

Of course the players needs to be held responsible, i wrote it a bit further up this page. They are complicit in this shite as well, but the problem goes far beyond Ole and simply replacing him wont solve it. The reason we have ended up here is goes much farther back than that.
1) Is the ridiculous way we handle contracts. Extending the contracts of deadwood just to "protect their assets" is incredibly daft. If you have 5-6 first team players who get paid 100k/week just to sit on their arse its going to breed complacency. The likes of Jones, Rojo, Lindgard etc should have been sold ages ago, but instead we keep renewing their contracts despite them never playing
2) Is how that we overpay our players. We have the second highest wage bill in the league, only slightly less than City, but far far from the quality they have. Its also a bit ironic that the club is more than willing to throw money at deadwood and mediocre players, yet when it comes to transfers we apparently have a tight budget.
3) Is how utter shite we have been in the market the last 7 years. Not only have we done loads of failed player acquisitions, we have also paid out the arse for most of them.

If this keeps up then Ole should deservedly be sacked, but Poch and his magic wand wont fix this overnight. People go on about how much "individual quality" we have, but i'd say there is a clear lack of proof for that statement. When have these players proved they can deliver class performances on a consistent basis? Not under LvG, not under Jose and not now. With a few notable exceptions like Rashford and Bruno, we have way to many players who are overrated fannies with shit attitudes that does not deserve to wear that shirt.

A simple change in coaching staff wont fix this. I'd be thrilled to be wrong about it, but i honestly think we need big changes at the very top and in the playing staff before this is going to look any better
Nobody's throwing the youths to the wolves. The point is to promote them to keep them motivated and to make the first team players realise their spot is up for grabs if they don't perform.

It's literally straight out from Fergie's playbook, promote some youths to give them a glimpse of first team action and make them hunger for more so they'll be motivated to get into the first team permanently. And at the same time it gives the first team players a break and keep them on their toes because they know that there's competition for their spot. The key point is to do this even when results are going well but Ole always waits till it's too late before trying anything different.

A change in coaching staff is very important because nobody looks like they've improved as a footballer ever since they joined the club. We're supposed to be a top team and yet the majority of our coaching staff are in their first ever stint at a big club and it's showing on the pitch. We look uncoached and lost everytime we can't counter. Players are just passing the ball around aimlessly with practically no threat to the opposition.

Yes the board is a total mess, but simple stuff like actual coaching can't be blamed on them unless you want to blame them for hiring the wrong guys.

elmo

this thread would look very different if it was say Tim Sherwood as our manager?

OGS is not Manchester Utd a level manager and never will be plus when he eventually does get the boot lets see if there are any other PL clubs that will employ him.
Exactly.

People are blinded for their love by Ole the player and keep giving him leeway which is exactly what Woodward and the Glazers were aiming for when they gave him the job fulltime.

Bobcat

Nobody's throwing the youths to the wolves. The point is to promote them to keep them motivated and to make the first team players realise their spot is up for grabs if they don't perform.

It's literally straight out from Fergie's playbook, promote some youths to give them a glimpse of first team action and make them hunger for more so they'll be motivated to get into the first team permanently. And at the same time it gives the first team players a break and keep them on their toes because they know that there's competition for their spot.

A change in coaching staff is very important because nobody looks like they've improved as a footballer ever since they joined the club. We're supposed to be a top team and yet the majority of our coaching staff are in their first ever stint at a big club and it's showing on the pitch. We look uncoached and lost everytime we can't counter. Players are just passing the ball around aimlessly with practically no threat to the opposition.

Yes the board is a total mess, but simple stuff like actual coaching can't be blamed on them unless you want to blame them for hiring the wrong guys.
The youths get their chance when they are ready. Starting them just to teach a lesson is a massive risk as we dont want their first experience with first XI football to be a bad one.

Martial, Fred and Rashford have undoubtedly improved under Ole. The problem is with the former two, are they good enough to be playing for us though? Fred barely looked like a Championship footballer under Jose, now hes much improved, but besides having a good engine and being a decent tackler hes bang average imo and 1 goal and 1 assist in 51 PL appearances is hardly impressive. Martial is a strange one. One week he looks happy and plays some great football, then the next one he is sulking and barely makes his presence known.

Not saying we currently look greater than the sum of our parts, but i honestly dont think coaching is going to rectify that because a lot of these players are simply not good enough and/or dont have the right attitude.

As i said, if Poch or whoever can turn this lot into title contenders i'd be thrilled to be proven wrong about that, but i dont think thats possible.

elmo

The youths get their chance when they are ready. Starting them just to teach a lesson is a massive risk as we dont want their first experience with first XI football to be a bad one.

Martial, Fred and Rashford have undoubtedly improved under Ole. The problem is with the former two, are they good enough to be playing for us though? Fred barely looked like a Championship footballer under Jose, now hes much improved, but besides having a good engine and being a decent tackler hes bang average imo and 1 goal and 1 assist in 51 PL appearances is hardly impressive. Martial is a strange one. One week he looks happy and plays some great football, then the next one he is sulking and barely makes his presence known.

Not saying we currently look greater than the sum of our parts, but i honestly dont think coaching is going to rectify that because a lot of these players are simply not good enough and/or dont have the right attitude.

As i said, if Poch or whoever can turn this lot into title contenders i'd be thrilled to be proven wrong about that, but i dont think thats possible.
And again, the correct manager can fix players attitude and get the best out of our current crop of players if he holds them responsible.

Ole came in from day 1 saying he'll hold players accountable and yet it's clear that Martial, Rashford, Bruno, Maguire, AWB and De Gea plays as long as they're fit regardless of their form. Add Pogba in and that's basically only having 4 spots up for grabs, how are the rest of the players supposed to get motivated when they know they just won't get the chance to play unless one of Ole's favourites gets injured.

Just take a look at Leeds as an example of how a proper manager can improve a team. Put Ole as the manager of that Leeds team and they're relegation favourites.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not really,

Sacking moyes - LVG : FA CUP
Sacking LVG - Jose : UEFA Cup + League Cup

There is no problem to solve, football is not some 25 years enigma, you hire the best coach for the season and aim to win shits every season. It's that simple. Everyone else is doing it, and everyone else is successful enough doing it, we're the only team that seems to think you can only win it the SAF ways
This can't be repeated enough times. And still people would ignore it...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I agree. We shouldn't have sacked Atkinson either. Sexton, Doch and O'Farrell didn't do that great so what's the point of sacking him anyway. It solved nothing at all.

K Stand Knut

Coach them during the week maybe? :rolleyes:
If Ole is having to coach them on how to pass a ball to the right per with the right amount of pace and direction, there is little wonder that we have b
Coach them during the week maybe? :rolleyes:
Are you serious??

If you think Ole needs to coach players on the same team to make a pass with the right speed and direction, it’s no surprise that we haven’t moved on in 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.