Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Great performance today. I've decided to just watch the games and see where we end up.

We definitely need another good CB next to Lindelof.

Greck

While we're 3rd and euphoria is high can we safely start to push for a trophy this season?

Rightnr

While we're 3rd and euphoria is high can we safely start to push for a trophy this season?
I've laid into the manager a lot in this thread (and others) but I personally took little joy of winning the cups under LvG and Mourinho (best bit of the EL win was getting back into the CL). That's why I was so pissed off with being knocked out of the CL because I'm sick of watching my team play clubs who are just not on our level.

If we seriously push Liverpool, and it sure looks like we're the only ones ready to do so (I don't trust Leicester), that's far more important. Even a 10% chance of stopping the scousers of winning #20 (and us getting 21) is way more important than the crappy EL or the irrelevant League Cup and (similarly irrelevant nowadays) FA cup.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Who knows, I don’t think so but we look like the ones in the best position to try and give Liverpool some sort of title race.

Greck

I've laid into the manager a lot in this thread (and others) but I personally took little joy of winning the cups under LvG and Mourinho (best bit of the EL win was getting back into the CL). That's why I was so pissed off with being knocked out of the CL because I'm sick of watching my team play clubs who are just not on our level.

If we seriously push Liverpool, and it sure looks like we're the only ones ready to do so (I don't trust Leicester), that's far more important. Even a 10% chance of stopping the scousers of winning #20 (and us getting 21) is way more important than the crappy EL or the irrelevant League Cup and (similarly irrelevant nowadays) FA cup.
Pushing Liverpool is implied but even at that we can't ask to win the PL just yet. but we can close the gap while winning minor cups that are within our reach and completely avoiding another trophyless season. We've already achieved the goal of breaking into the top 4 in December, it's no longer a pick one situation. This year's team is deep. Closing the gap isn't a lone objective. Finish high in the league isn't really a goal you bin cups for. You do both

Foxbatt

Don't you think that's an unrealistic expectation? On that basis should City consider sacking Pep?
He has got to win most matches to win something. With Pep he has done it many times in the past so he has credit in the bank. Ole has not done it yet. One match does not change the whole scenario though it was the best we played under him.

Rightnr

Pushing Liverpool is implied but even at that we can't ask to win the PL yet. but we can close the gap while winning minor cups that are within our reach and completely avoiding another trophyless season. We've already achieved the goal of breaking into the top 4 in December, it's no longer a pick one situation. This year's team is deep. Closing the gap isn't a lone objective. Finish high in the league isn't really a goal you bin cups for. You do both
While we are in a good position now, I am still holding out before I can safely say we are looking solid for Top 4. This is because, even if it's December, we've only played 13 games. Usually December is a good indication of league finish because we'd have played each team once by now but we're yet to play 1/3 of the league so far, including Liverpool.

We look good great in attack quality and quantity-wise (except maybe RW) BUT defence is weak. We're playing the same CBs and I think it's showing. Wan-Bissaka also looked gassed to me. That's why we need to at least buy another RB ala Tellez for RB in January for injury and rotation. I don't expect us to get a quick left-footed CB, even though it'll massively improve us.

Greck

While we are in a good position now, I am still holding out before I can safely say we are looking solid for Top 4. This is because, even if it's December, we've only played 13 games. Usually December is a good indication of league finish because we'd have played each team once by now but we're yet to play 1/3 of the league so far, including Liverpool.

We look good great in attack quality and quantity-wise (except maybe RW) BUT defence is weak. We're playing the same CBs and I think it's showing. Wan-Bissaka also looked gassed to me. That's why we need to at least buy another RB ala Tellez for RB in January for injury and rotation. I don't expect us to get a quick left-footed CB, even though it'll massively improve us.
Just to get you straight, you're saying we should deprioritise winning all of the league cup, FA cup and Europa league to focus on top 4 alone?

Rightnr

Just to get you straight, you're saying we should deprioritise winning all of the league cup, FA cup and Europa league to focus on top 4 alone?
Well, if I have to be honest, I couldn't care less about the League Cup and the EL. I honestly wouldn't be able to bring myself to watch Europa again, even if we play as well as today. It's just so much below our level and having to play 2 games a week for 9 months for our two CBs, which is what the manager seems to be going for, is just not feasible.

I would focus on the title challenge and FA cup.

Zen86

We’re such an odd team right now. We play an insane game, football that’s constantly on a knife edge. We can cut absolutely anyone to pieces, yet we always have a feeling of vulnerability at the same time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I just pray this is not yet another false dawn as we've seen enough of them to last a lifetime since Fergie retired. Is this the turning point, can we sustain this good form for the remainder of the season? Maybe, maybe not, it's impossible to say one way or the other given how inconsistent we've been this season. All I know is I'm fed up taking one step forward and two steps back.

We're in a great position to have a real go at a title challenge, third in the table with only 5 points (plus a game in hand) standing between us and Liverpool. It's now or never for Ole.
I'm with you and have the same concerns. If we can maintain the level of performance we saw earlier today then it'll be a very happy person. I'm actually buzzing tonight because of the football we played and who it was against.

lysglimt

Scout
Is this correct?

Do you have a source?
United played exactly 1500 matches under Ferguson - 2769 goals = 1.84 goals pr match

Solskjaer 111 matches - 208 goals = 1,87

Mourinho 144 matches - 244 goals = 1.69

Van Gaal 103 matches - 158 goals = 1.53

Moyes 51 matches - 86 goals = 1.68

source: mufcinfo.com

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm with you and have the same concerns. If we can maintain the level of performance we saw earlier today then it'll be a very happy person. I'm actually buzzing tonight because of the football we played and who it was against.
Same.

It's just hard to not feel a bit hesitant regarding our form.

OleBoiii

United played exactly 1500 matches under Ferguson - 2769 goals = 1.84 goals pr match

Wow, that's better than expected.

Also: Van Gaal :lol:

Paul_Scholes18

Now comes a really big test. Everton in the cup. We have a huge chance to win the cup this year with City looking weaker than previous years. They will go strong so we need to match them. I think start either Rashford or Martial and rest the other. Cavani, Greenwood, Pogba, Fred, VDB, Telles, Maguire, Lindelöf, AWB, De Gea.
If we put up another disaster cup performances though big questions need to be asked about Ole and him keeping the job.
I think we will build on it and win or at least play well enough to justify the selection and tactics.

Chairman Steve

We’ve seen more false dawns than a Dawn French lookalike contest these past few years, so I remain apprehensive of what happens next.

Seven weeks ago, Arteta and the gooners thought they cracked it in terms of making progression when they deservedly beat us and they’ve completely nosedived since. Things can change quick.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I just feel people need to calm down. It's like after 3 years, we're about to have our first test. We could do with a trophy but there is no divine right and it don't matter how teams perform now. Trophies aren't given out for form now.

Withnail

Wow... Long may it continue. Thanks for that.

We’ve seen more false dawns than a Dawn French lookalike contest these past few years, so I remain apprehensive of what happens next.

Seven weeks ago, Arteta and the gooners thought they cracked it in terms of making progression when they deservedly beat us and they’ve completely nosedived since. Things can change quick.
Arsenal beat us as we gave away a penalty while having an off day. Anyone thinking they'd cracked it off the back of that performance needed their head examined.

We're third, with a game in hand, just under a 1/3 of the way through the season. Given our league record since Jan it's clear the early season poor form was the blip so there's every reason to be optimistic that this season will be better than last season.

Obviously nothing's a given and there will be ups and downs this season but it's shaping up to be an enjoyable one. Hopefully, we don't do too badly with injuries and are still in the hunt come March.

DemonOfTheFall

Now comes a really big test. Everton in the cup. We have a huge chance to win the cup this year with City looking weaker than previous years. They will go strong so we need to match them. I think start either Rashford or Martial and rest the other. Cavani, Greenwood, Pogba, Fred, VDB, Telles, Maguire, Lindelöf, AWB, De Gea.
If we put up another disaster cup performances though big questions need to be asked about Ole and him keeping the job.
I think we will build on it and win or at least play well enough to justify the selection and tactics.
It's the EFL cup though, not the FA

Listar

To think Ole didn't have the backing in the transfer window. Imagine if he did and we got in Sancho and an upgrade in the DM position?

Wow, I am salivating. I just kinda hate the board right now. Fair play to Ole that instead of crying which would have been what most people (including myself and a certain special one) he got on with the job with a positive attitude and look where we are now.

Negativity breeds more negativity. This forum should learn that from Ole.

Icemav

Very good point on RB. AWB playing well but he will be run into the ground.

Icemav

To think Ole didn't have the backing in the transfer window. Imagine if he did and we got in Sancho and an upgrade in the DM position?

Wow, I am salivating. I just kinda hate the board right now. Fair play to Ole that instead of crying which would have been what most people (including myself and a certain special one) he got on with the job with a positive attitude and look where we are now.

Its good we didnt sign Sancho. Great decision by the club.

Greck

Yeah..no. Sancho isn't backing and backing isn't black or white. Thanks to Cavani amd VDB signings we had a good summer with the caveat of awful timing on the signings. Breaking that fee into 3 good players saved us from Sancho coming here and stinking up the joint like he currently is at Dortmund. We don't need more players that sulk when things don't go their way

Greck

I just feel people need to calm down. It's like after 3 years, we're about to have our first test. We could do with a trophy but there is no divine right and it don't matter how teams perform now. Trophies aren't given out for form now.
Imo it's certainly interesting because in the past this lot have had instances of not playing good once things are feeling good. Istanbul was the latest in a string of incidents that make one doubt their mettle. See out the season strong, win just one cup and put all of that to bed.

James Ward

On the fence of sacking Ole and getting a proven manager in.

Still can't get over the champions league exit and that Liepzig result was down to him. I don't think he's a good enough manager to win you the league or trophies. All I really expect from him is top four and crash out early in the champions league.

I suppose some fans are okay with that though. Hes there two years now and still don't see a huge improvements in his tactics on the pitch.

Listar

Yeah..no. Sancho isn't backing and backing isn't black or white. Thanks to Cavani amd VDB signings we had a good summer with the caveat of awful timing on the signings. Breaking that fee into 3 good players saved us from Sancho coming here and stinking up the joint like he currently is at Dortmund. We don't need more players that sulk when things don't go their way
Look what Ole done with Pogba even after his agent debacle. Don't underestimate Ole's man management skills. Those that can't be man managed will be out. If Ole wants you in I actually trust him at least in terms of attitude.

city-puma

Still can't get over the champions league exit and that Liepzig result was down to him. I don't think he's a good enough manager to win you the league or trophies. All I really expect from him is top four and crash out early in the champions league.

I suppose some fans are okay with that though. Hes there two years now and still don't see a huge improvements in his tactics on the pitch.
I feel the complaints about Ole’s tactic deficit is a misunderstood and a wrong conclusion drawn.
I actually agree with LVG’s opinion about this, but only partially. There is nothing wrong to play different systems based on which opponent we are against and in what situations the game is played. However, we have been apparently not trained well enough for the new systems gonna play in certain big games, like the one against redbull.
However, in the big picture, we need to have this kind of lessons even though they could be painful, because we must gain the capability to play different systems to handle the fiercely competitive modern football games domestically and in Europe.
The game comes and goes so quickly. We don’t really have enough time to work on that because we have no preseason. Hence, we need time and many painful lessons to adapt, learn, and polish. Leicester is better than us at the moment in this aspect, but they reach this point by winning and also many defeats. Please be patient and take it easy whenever there is a setback as long as it is a short one. We will get there eventually and I believe it won’t take long.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Your eyes play very good trick on you.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The issue was that how the club handled the Sancho's saga not about getting Sancho. If we don't waste our time on the Sancho's saga and tell Ole a month or two or at least not few days before transfer window closed that we had no chance to sign Sancho, we would have sign alternative or changing plan to sign other areas like CB or even DM.

Anyone in here and including Ole can see which areas in XI we need to improve. Can't get RW, let's get CB, can't get both then get DM. We didn't get one of them because Ed & Matt deluded themselves that we could force Dortmund to sell.

el3mel

Thank feck we didn't spend the full 120m on Sancho. Imagine signing him for such price then he goes on and perform like Havertz? It would have meant our entire market flopped. The pressure on him would have also been insane. Never invest your entire budget in one player.

mikel

I'm all over the map on Ole. The lack of tactical awareness bothers me but maybe its growing into the job and some people take longer. He has his good days and bad days, but the good days need to start overwhelming the bad days. Is he good enough to win an FA cup, probably - good enough to win EPL, maybe - good enough to win ECL, that's where it gets really itchy and scratchy for me. Maybe EPL isn't as strong this year as the last couple at the top and that helps after a few bad performances, but you really can't sack a manager who's in 3rd place. At the end of the season if the tactics are not consistently above the current level then maybe you have to think about a change if they finish outside top 3 or 4.

Greck

The issue was that how the club handled the Sancho's saga not about getting Sancho. If we don't waste our time on the Sancho's saga and tell Ole a month or two or at least not few days before transfer window closed that we had no chance to sign Sancho, we would have sign alternative or changing plan to sign other areas like CB or even DM.

Anyone in here and including Ole can see which areas in XI we need to improve. Can't get RW, let's get CB, can't get both then get DM. We didn't get one of them because Ed & Matt deluded themselves that we could force Dortmund to sell.
But that's just your opinion of Ole's thought process and what might have happened. When has Ole given you the indication that he was targeting these positions in the summer? You think we need a new DM and CB, fair enough, but writing in a whole narrative that Ole must have agreed with you and was held back by the club is a whole other deduction. Realistically speaking he wasn't even going to sign CBs in back to back summers with limited funds. Why is it a sure thing a new one was higher on his priority list over , say a new number 9 like Cavani?

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
But that's just your opinion of Ole's thought process and what might have happened. When has Ole given you the indication that he was targeting these positions in the summer? You think we need a new DM and CB, fair enough, but writing in a whole narrative that Ole must have agreed with you and was held back by the club is a whole other deduction
That's not my opinion. United number one journalist Simon Stone mentioned United was targeting RW and CB. We gave Matic new contract because we wanted to hold DM position to used the money on RW and CB, otherwise, why did we give 32 years old Matic new cotract. Not coincidence there were news coming out after the transfer window closed about United was monitoring Zakaria, a DM.

Greck

United number one journalist Simon Stone mentioned United was targeting RW and CB. We gave Matic new contract because we wanted to hold DM position to used the money on RW and CB, not coincidence there were news coming out after the transfer window closed about United was monitoring Zakaria, a DM.
Just to be clear, the reports from this Simon stone guy is the basis for your beliefs? Unrelated question, what about the reports from the Athletic that said Matt Judge stayed at Dortmund's door at the behest of Ole, did you disregard that report or buy into it? In any case I think the club did decent in the summer after the Sancho sham, special emphasis on finding Cavani and finally bringing a true number 9

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just to be clear, the reports from this Simon stone guy is the basis for your beliefs? Unrelated question, what about the reports from the Athletic that said Matt Judge stayed at Dortmund's door at the behest of Ole, did you disregard that report or buy into it? In any case I think the club did decent in the summer after the Sancho sham, special emphasis on finding Cavani and finally bringing a true number 9
Some tier 1 journalist had their info from player's agent and some from the club. Simon Stone has his info directly from the club mate, directly from Manchester United, that's what the club told him. What do you expect? You expect the manager to publicly said what he wanted? Not every journalist in Athletic is tier 1.

We also placed transfer bid being rejected on Benoît Badiashile, a centre back. We also had contact with Gabriel's agent. Both were confirmed by the most reliable journalist in France, Mohamed Bouhafsi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.