Would you sell Jadon Sancho this summer? And do you think he will be sold?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's been underwhelming (very).

Still think there's a player there, but then again it would hardly be surprising if it turns out we've bought yet another expensive dud from Dortmund.

Joel Miller

I think he’s worth another year to see if he can find his best form and show some form of consistency, and basically look like the player we thought he was destined to be. If it’s another underwhelming campaign, then it’s probably time to look at other options.

Wezzaldo

We’ve gone too soft. In the days of SAF his time would be up now.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Its crazy how ten hag shoved maguire & mctominnay out the squad but used sancho so regularly

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Its crazy how ten hag shoved maguire & mctominnay out the squad but used sancho so regularly
Agreed - his patience with Sancho was peculiar. I know he wanted to give him a proper chance after giving him half a season off to get his head right - but still, the man seemed undroppable.

RedOrange

Maguire can jump up and head a ball away in his own box and otherwise is a total fecking liability who will lose matches completely on his own.

Sancho isn't a complete disaster on the pitch in the way that Maguire is. He can actually put in a decent shift from time to time and got a few goal contributions this season. If the ball is given to him in the final 3rd he can dribble a bit and look for a pass into the box and recycle it back to the midfield/fullbacks if there's nothing there (which there usually wasn't, because we played with terrible strikers all season).

pogbasformerbarber

These types of FIFA/Football Manager attitudes are mad, just mad...We can't even buy Mason F***** Mount for a decent fee, but people are suggesting we jettison a 23 year old Sancho....for who? Why don't we just sell every player that isn't consistent and play with 6 players next season. I mean why not? I guess I forgot Mbappe would take his place on the squad...silly me. Yes, we need to sell him so we can give the spot to Mbappe!

He's 23 years old. Is he as good as we hoped? Nope. Is he bad? Nope. Is he salvageable to be a very productive player for us for years to come? Maybe. You don't sell players that have potential upside, unless you are getting back a sure thing. Maybe I'm mad, but I haven't felt he's been this disaster of a player many seem to see...hes been fine. Hes been good enough that you should try and see if he can turn a corner to great. This idea that we just sell everyone that isn't great and we can just fill their spot no problem with a great player is just delusional.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
These types of FIFA/Football Manager attitudes are mad, just mad...We can't even buy Mason F***** Mount for a decent fee, but people are suggesting we jettison a 23 year old Sancho....for who? Why don't we just sell every player that isn't consistent and play with 6 players next season. I mean why not? I guess I forgot Mbappe would take his place on the squad...silly me. Yes, we need to sell him so we can give the spot to Mbappe!

He's 23 years old. Is he as good as we hoped? Nope. Is he bad? Nope. Is he salvageable to be a very productive player for us for years to come? Maybe. You don't sell players that have potential upside, unless you are getting back a sure thing. Maybe I'm mad, but I haven't felt he's been this disaster of a player many seem to see...hes been fine. Hes been good enough that you should try and see if he can turn a corner to great. This idea that we just sell everyone that isn't great and we can just fill their spot no problem with a great player is just delusional.
You need to chill a bit and calm down there, bud. I don't think it's an outlandish suggestion to consider selling Sancho if a good offer had to arrive. He's on mega wages, we spent a fortune on him and he's had 2 years to now to find some sort of form, but he hasn't. In the past we've actually held on to underperforming players for so long - mostly in the hope of preserving value or that they will come good, that they end up costing us/curtailing our plans.

Is his career salvageable at United? I think so but realistically we have other positions we need to strengthen in and by all accounts, we need to raise funds to support the manager in the transfer market and Sancho is possibly one of our more saleable assets which we can use to reinvest.

He's currently 3rd choice out left, 2nd choice out right (could potentially be pushed to 3rd choice there as well were MG set to return but that's a story for another day). We need funds to invest in possibly 2 CF's (realistically we won't have the money for 1, let alone 2!), we need a GK, a CM and possibly another CB. We have a kitty of 100-120m which will fill a maximum of 2 of those positions (say GK, CM). That still leaves CB & CF open. Martial i don't think will bring in any substantial fee due to his wages and injury record.

The only sellable players we have are possibly Maguire, McTominay, Henderson & AWB (we're not selling a RB by all accounts) - Fred won't bring in a lot of money to add to our supposed 100m-120m kitty, nor DVB or Williams (is he even with us still?). So i can see the business sense in cashing in - should a suitable offer arrive and it has nothing to do with "FM" or "FIFA" attitudes, IMO. We're hamstrung with our financial position.

For what it's worth, if those other positions weren't as pressing and we had the funds, i'd keep him as second choice to fight it out with Antony/the wingers, even though he's on exorbitant wages.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Literally nobody has said that

Dazzmondo

Surprised so many suddenly against selling Sancho. Seemed to be a very different attitude to him during the season. £45m is a lot more than I thought we could get for him considering the ridiculous wage he's on. I'd be fine with him going. Squad depth is a concern but £375k per week is way too much to be paying for a squad player. That could be reinvested in someone like Diaby or Chiesa imo or we could just try Garnacho on the right or give more gametime to Amad (even though reports look like ETH already decided to send him back out on loan)

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
No to either. Even with a below par season and time out he did manage 7 goals for us.

Getting rid of him is one less player on the wings, which weakens the depth. As we have other priorities, it wouldn't make sense to do this.

Woziak

No to either, we must have 8 homegrown players in a squad of 25 as they team starts to dominate more of the ball he will get more opportunities, signing his old buddy J Frimpong might actually unleash him.

He should be competing with Antony for the right wing and I see very little between them in an attacking comparison, Antony is much better defensively and works harder but the stats are quite similar with regard to GA per game, we need them both to show up this season with a point to prove to ETH and who is the number 1 for right wing. I think if we buy R Hojlund, we’ll definite keep Martial and Rashford will also be used centrally more. Garnaucho will start from the bench but it won’t take him long to get game time.

ETH wants more goals, adding Mount and Hojlund won’t suddenly mean we are smashing the 80 goal barrier but adding Onana and playing further up the field will mean the team with be in the other half more so should score more goals.

For me Onana, Frimpong, Mount and R Hojlund improves us marginally but for £180-190m you’d want much more.

Onana, F Tomari Caciedo, Kudas, O Watkins/I Toney and Gift for £250-260m is a significant upgrade for squad depth

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s not. Even though Sancho has offered little (at times literally nothing) he still has good close control of the ball. When playing against pressing teams, which is everyone these days, the turnover of possession from the likes of McT and Maguire is so high even just from their first touch as they really require space to operate. It’s quite obvious ETH wants a technically competent team.

RedIan

No and no. Sancho is a massive talent who it seems suffers with anxiety or some other mental health issue.
The pressure of his price tag and expectations at United have effected him. Give him another year And hopefully we will see the real Sancho.
How many wanted Rashford gone 2 seasons ago? This forum was awash with get rid of Rashford posts.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This is a big season for Sancho and he now has to prove to the club, the fans and mostly to himself that he can really make an impact in the PL.
So for me, he should stay and do what he needs to do.

BeltUp

Supports
United
I'm hoping it could turn out like Andy Cole's story. He didn't look like he was going to make it for the first couple of seasons but then something clicked and he was great until the day he left.

Skills

Snitch
I'm hoping it could turn out like Andy Cole's story. He didn't look like he was going to make it for the first couple of seasons but then something clicked and he was great until the day he left.
I mean I'd rather he hits the ground running. I don't think we have the capacity for another £50m+ player being a work in progress.

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
No keep for one more year at least, with a full season without any disruption I think you’ll see an improvement in him.

Son

It’s a no brainer really. You let him go even for the cut price fee. Lad needs to build his career again somewhere with less pressure.

Wish him well but he’s not at all what we need given his limited physicality and output.

He’s talented but so are many players. Mentality is his problem and in football that’s often the biggest part of the sport at the top level.

The wages make it a definite sell. We can’t keep him on those wages. Makes zero sense.

El Jefe

Anyone putting faith in this lad for next season will be disappointed even more than previous seasons.

He's shown in the clearest ways he's a flop. It's incredibly rare to reverse flop status and if anyone was going to do it, Sancho sure as shit ain't the person, doesn't have the heart or fight to turn it around.

In our first big game of the season or tough away match, he will pull out of a duel he's favourite to win and you'll realise he's never changing.

ElDiabloRojo

Would like him sold but it won't happen over his crazy salary.

He is a flop and hasn't the hunger to change that.

Such a pity.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We’ve gone too soft. In the days of SAF his time would be up now.
In SAF's day, he'd have been sold last Summer.
A young player, who cost a lot, who has turned out to be next to useless.
Why the hell are fans so attached to players who are not enough to play for a top 6 team?
I realise that I sound ruthless, but when you are a player playing for the first XI of a top team in EU, you should be expected to be treated in a ruthless fashion. If you don't perform, you should expect to be replaced.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Anyone putting faith in this lad for next season will be disappointed even more than previous seasons.
He's shown in the clearest ways he's a flop. It's incredibly rare to reverse flop status and if anyone was going to do it, Sancho sure as shit ain't the person, doesn't have the heart or fight to turn it around.
Agreed on all points.
If I had my way, I'd have a "no purchase policy from Dortmund". Every single player we buy from them turns out to be a dud. And we pay good money for that player, too.

Devil You Know

If we're unable to sign a new first choice striker (somewhat likely), Rashford will be our starting CF next season. If this happens, Sancho will get a last minute reprieve to show what he's capable of at LW.

I personally think we should sell Jadon, all things being equal. But it looks probable he'll have one final chance. I really hope he takes it and proves me wrong.

Gandalf

In SAF's day, he'd have been sold last Summer.
A young player, who cost a lot, who has turned out to be next to useless.
Why the hell are fans so attached to players who are not enough to play for a top 6 team?
I realise that I sound ruthless, but when you are a player playing for the first XI of a top team in EU, you should be expected to be treated in a ruthless fashion. If you don't perform, you should expect to be replaced.
But SAF did not have to worry about FFP.

It has been explained before in this thread but unless we sell him for a bigger fee than anyone is likely to give us for him then selling him actually reduces what we will have available to spend. Right now the balance of his fee is amoritized over the length of his contract, if we sell him the remaining balance which is circa 50M hits the accounts for this season and so if we sell him for less than that it shows as a net loss and cuts into what we can spend. He finsihed the season well and his age and obvious talent mean it is worth giving him one more year to prove himself.

ColvaleGoa

I am like Martial FC. Always hoping he will come good. So yes he will come good...not smash things up like Rashford but a steady Eddie.

Ultimately it's the hope that Kills!

wolvored

No one will buy him at £45 mill and I dont think he will leave as he wont get 375k a week elsewhere, so basically TH has come out with another chance line. Were basically fecked

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yeah, it’s true in so many areas.

I’d really hoped that ETH would explain to Sancho - you will need to move to play football, and you’ll need to lower your wages to do so.

And then offer Sancho, Martial and 50m for Kane.
What do we do when they politely decline?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
No one will buy him at £45 mill and I dont think he will leave as he wont get 375k a week elsewhere, so basically TH has come out with another chance line. Were basically fecked
Of course they would. He's got a lot more potential and talent than Mount, who was bought for £55m with a year to go on his contract.

People are making it out like he is a 33 year old who is past it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Of course they would. He's got a lot more potential and talent than Mount, who was bought for £55m with a year to go on his contract.

People are making it out like he is a 33 year old who is past it.
The issue we have is that Sancho is a proven "failure" in the EPL.
So, if another EPL team buys him, they know that they are buying a player who carries a big risk of continuing to fail.
They could spend that same money (and maybe add a bit more on top) and get a player who is not a proven "failure".

Our best bet would be to send him back to Dortmund. They might value him higher because they know he functions well at that club.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
But SAF did not have to worry about FFP.

It has been explained before in this thread but unless we sell him for a bigger fee than anyone is likely to give us for him then selling him actually reduces what we will have available to spend. Right now the balance of his fee is amoritized over the length of his contract, if we sell him the remaining balance which is circa 50M hits the accounts for this season and so if we sell him for less than that it shows as a net loss and cuts into what we can spend. He finsihed the season well and his age and obvious talent mean it is worth giving him one more year to prove himself.
SAF would have NEVER given his ok to give him the insane wages he is on. So it would have been much easier for us to get rid / find a buyer.

Adamsk7

He’s massively underperformed but I’d give him another season for two reasons.

1) we will be another step closer to how Ten Hag wants to play, which will suit him more than currently
2) nobody will buy him at the moment anyway.

Duckmanquack

Keep him another season. If he improves, keep. If he doesn't sell next summer. Massive talent that lacks confidence (this can be fixed). He worked trough a mental break down this season. Lets see if he can bounce back.