Would you sell Smalling or Jones to rival for 40m?

Would you sell Smalling or Jones to a rival for £40m?

• Total voters

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Hypothetically speaking (considering city make a bid on jonny evans) would you consider selling Smalling/Jones to our direct rival ie. City or Liverpool for 40m?

Rivalry aside it's a good move.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentP

I won't sell to City or Liverpool. Chelsea and Arsenal I wouldn't mind so much.

Last edited:

haram

No. What are we gonna do with £40 million? They can go elsewhere and find a defender.

fretless

Strengthening a rival is not worth any amount of money. A club out of the top 6 without hesitation, but not a rival. Look how foolish Arsenal looked when RvP won us the league. Hopefully Chelsea will have similar egg on their face at the end of this season.

AndyJ1985

Strengthening a rival is not worth any amount of money. A club out of the top 6 without hesitation, but not a rival. Look how foolish Arsenal looked when RvP won us the league. Hopefully Chelsea will have similar egg on their face at the end of this season.
There's a bit of a difference between selling Jones or smalling to a rival, and selling RvP.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Why is this forum obsessed with selling Smalling & Jones

R'hllor

No, even if players are clueless like Welbeck for example.

fretless

There's a bit of a difference between selling Jones or smalling to a rival, and selling RvP.
City and Pool have strong offenses and lack a quality defense. If Smalling or Jones provide the stability required to unleash their offense how is that any different?

Our main concern is not strengthening a rival.

lysglimt

Scout
With Rojo injured and VNL (whom I don't trust) - never. If Rojo gets back to fitness and VNL proves me wrong - I could let Smalling go. But Jones I would not let go

Yogesh911

I'm totally against strengthening any of our direct title rivals, leave aside our arch rivals like Man City & Liverpool. We ain't skint, so no need to raise funds this way.

Jones could finally stay fit & fulfill his big potential (Duncan Edwards anyone?)
Smalling is really under-rated on this forum because he's a below average passer. In a proper system, he has the ability to boss the game as he has some brilliant attributes.

Reiver

I'd sell Smalling in a heartbeat, I don't rate him. I'm not that sure he'd improve any of our rivals.
Wouldn't sell Jones though.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Does each Caf member get a cut of the 40 large?

No?

Then how do we, as fans, benefit from it at all? £40m barely buys you anything in this market. It sure as shit shouldn't buy you title winning England internationals on the verge of entering their peak years. The fascination with received fees is weird in general. Your ticket and shirt price isn't dependent on it, and the club don't need to sell to buy. The whole "...as long as we get £x million for him" is bizarre to me.

More importantly; Rojo is injured, Bailly is still young, Lindelof isn't ready. Smalling and Jones have big roles to play this season.

Even more importantly; Smalling and Jones are good players.

No.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No. They can continue buying average CBs for big money.

POF

Of course not.

Until the new year, at least one of them will be first choice centre back.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I'am all for rivals signing crappy defenders that can't play football and are more injurred than fit, let alone that we would get £40m for it. In fact I would happily sell them both to anyone and even for a lot less than £40m.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Selling Welbeck for substantially less than £40m hasn't hurt us in any particular way and in today's crazy market that is still decent money for a centre half. But I agree these two players have a key role to play this year and the club doesn't need £40m from anyone, least of all from a rival.

I'am all for rivals signing crappy defenders that can't play football and are more injurred than fit, let alone that we would get £40m for it. In fact I would happily sell them both to anyone and even for a lot less than £40m.
Fair enough if you're not fan of Smalling and Jones, but would you be happy going into a CL season with Bailly, Lindelof, Blind and an injured Rojo as our senior centreback options?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Nah. It wouldn't help us with our annual centre back decimation, plus you know they'd score the winner against us when we play them in the league.

Josep Dowling

Both players are underrated by most, especially Jones. I know it's maybe 15 games of a season but when he's fit he can be a very good player.

In a transfer market valuing Van Dijk at £60m what would we do with £40m anyway?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Both players are underrated by most, especially Jones. I know it's maybe 15 games of a season but when he's fit he can be a very good player.

In a transfer market valuing Van Dijk at £60m what would we do with £40m anyway?
I'm pretty sure you could upgrade Smalling for £40m. Or make do with the other 5 CB's you have and put that £40m towards a Perisic or a Danny Rose.

You just bought Matic for £40m, the hell you mean what can you do with £40m? It's not as much as it was but it's not exactly chump change either.

United should be laughing all the way to the bank if they get £40m for Smalling. Jones is a much better player so it might be a different case with him but still, he's been crocked for years.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Fair enough if you're not fan of Smalling and Jones, but would you be happy going into a CL season with Bailly, Lindelof, Blind and an injured Rojo as our senior centreback options?
I would be happy enough with Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo and Tuanzebe as centreback options alltough I would prefer us to sign 1 more CB like Davinson Sanchez.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
You don't rate Smalling but you'd have Sanchez?

Sanchez is even worse on the ball than Smalling.
What ? No he isn't, he is regarded as one of the best upcoming ball playing centrebacks in the game. Showed it aswell in EL final last year.