Would you sign Harry Kane if it meant we didn't sign anyone else?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So it looks like Kane is going to be this summer's transfer saga. There are only a few clubs who can realistically afford him, and we’re one of them.

Now while I would love to have him here, he’s going to be crazy expensive which would likely mean he would take up the vast majority of our transfer budget, and I think that money needs to be spent in other areas.

We desperately need two midfielders as Fred and McTomiany aren’t good enough, so I would probably say no as I would rather we spent the money there. But what about you?

SER19

No way. Id sooner see sancho and a decent cb to make team more balanced.

If Pogba signs a new deal, then yes.

If Kane means addressing other issues next summer, then so be it. In Kane went to City and Haaland moves elsewhere - then next season we have a real problem as we have no striker.

DVDB and Amed will he like ‘new signings’ next season.

So yes.

macheda14

We’re damned if we do, damned if we don’t. If City get Kane there’s no catching them for the foreseeable future. If we get Kane then we still have a lot of the same issues we’ve had for multiple seasons.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
No way. Id sooner see sancho and a decent cb to make team more balanced.
I'll second that.

Kane would be an amazing signing but not at the expense of everything else. I'd rather see Sancho, a CB and Ings (if the rumours are in any way true) than just Kane. Saying that, it would / will be awful to see Kane wearing the blue of City.

redrobed

Kane wants to win trophies and is desperate to come to Utd. I think the obvious solution for all parties is that he subsidises part of the transfer fee as we’ve seen players do when joining us previously - say we pay 60m of his transfer fee and he pays the other 20m. That way we can still strengthen in other areas which he too will want to guarantee those trophies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No.

Sancho is a must buy, and then two other more reasonable signings. I don't think Kane wins us any big trophy alone so it makes no sense to blow everything on him.

Eric_the_Red99

Absolutely not. Without the desperately needed improvements to midfield, we wouldn’t be able to give Kane the service he’d need anyway.
Don’t get me wrong, Kane could be a great signing for us. It’s just that I think it’s pretty clear that the DM position is the gaping hole in our team right now (when everyone is fit, I mean).

b82REZ

Kane wants to win trophies and is desperate to come to Utd. I think the obvious solution for all parties is that he subsidises part of the transfer fee as we’ve seen players do when joining us previously - say we pay 60m of his transfer fee and he pays the other 20m. That way we can still strengthen in other areas which he too will want to guarantee those trophies.
:lol:

Ace

No way, the midfield has to be priority. Kane, Lewandowski, or Haaland up front aren’t going to turn us into title contenders if we still have Fred stumbling around out there in the middle of the pitch every week.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
We’re damned if we do, damned if we don’t. If City get Kane there’s no catching them for the foreseeable future. If we get Kane then we still have a lot of the same issues we’ve had for multiple seasons.
That is the worry, I agree. I think Kane will go and play at the top of the game for a few years yet, as well. He's not someone who relies on pace anyway, so if he's scoring for fun at City (which he will) they're going to be virtually unbeatable for the next few years.

Saying that, I still think those areas in the team that I highlighted as needing reinforcing are more important.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Our main issues have been breaking down teams who defend deeply, finishing off our chances and avoiding the occasional brainfart in defense, so Kane alone will not solve it, would take him with a swap with Martial and cash as I feel Martial will not make it here..

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
No, the time to sign Kane was after his debut season for 50 million. Now he's an aging forward with dodgy ankles and Levy will want at least 100 mil, if not 150.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No. I don’t think my heart could take McFredorism in the CL again next season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think its an either-or scenario. We can send Spurs a couple of players like Martial and Lingard plus cash for Kane and have more than enough in the budget to buy a couple more quality, under the radar type players.

Abraxas

No, because it probably only increases the efficiency of our finishing. It may win us some extra games which is important, but it won't address some of the fundamental woes that are much discussed.

Our problem from an attacking point of view is not simply one of finishing chances, it is getting the ball through the pitch effectively against deeper teams, and even in counter attacking games we can force things. I think with Harry Kane things would look better because he would bury more chances and can create himself so the end product is better, but he won't be solving the way we're building play out of the back and through midfield.

This can actually be demonstrated with reference to England. When they have those ponderous performances you don't get miracles out of Harry Kane in the style that Suarez changed Liverpool. He can drop in and become a creative force but then you've nothing in the box so is it going to be a major positive for us when Rashford and Greenwood are so often coming to the ball? Maybe but we'd have to train that. He's not going to undertake miracles out there, we still have to get him the ball in dangerous positions, in some recent games we've been creating virtually nothing.

KW2006

No. Especially he is 28 and has became more injury prone and we have Cavani now.

I would like to have him with us, but not at the expense of not strengthening other areas that are arguably more in need.

mu4c_20le

Of course. You don't turn down a world class centre forward, the best one in the league in this case. Sure we have other areas like RW but Greenwood can do a job there, and midfield isn't a huge concern because Fergie always found some way to bypass it. McFred is an industrious pairing that provides plenty of energy and press, Pogba provides creativity, we can live with that if we are getting KANE.

acnumber9

Yes. Because I don’t believe we’ll actually sign the three players we’d need to make us better. Of course, I don’t believe we’ll sign Kane either.

Marcus

Nah. Rather Sancho, Varane and maybe Ings. The following year, Haaland and an upgrade in CM.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nope.

I can understand badly wanting the signing (and I can definitely understand worrying about City getting him) but you have to do what's right for the team as whole. We need more than one player, even if that player is top class.

K Stand Knut

Absolutely not.

Not even sure I’m that bothered by him worn out current squad.

I’m not convinced like some that he tips any title challenge in our favour